> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

>enginedev
kek

>he doesn't use his own language
LMAOing at your life.

i'd love to write my own language if i ever got the neetbux from my game. It'd be specifically for vidya-dev.

Wayfinding system in Metanoia: The Sacrifice is up and running now. Just have to add the fading effects and get the thing to transition you to your destination when you solve the puzzle, then set the number of steps you need to solve the puzzle to 1.

Someone gave me 001 Game Creator as a gift. Is it really any good?

It's not amazing. There's some interesting features in it to be sure. It was a lot more interesting before Unity put out its new UI system as it was the only engine at the time that came with a dedicated UI/Menu creation tool that wasn't utter ass.

Reminder your game can be an absolute piece of shit as long as it's fun.

anime

it wouldn't be a piece of shit then

>create new simple enemy
>something doesn't work
>6 hours debugging in total confusion because everything should be working based on testing the pieces individually
>a variable was passed in just right enough to not have errors but just wrong enough not to work

Maybe I'll stick to GameMaker, I have trouble learning new things.

Started working on locations, the map is almost done.
Polished some trees, but one of them doesnt look quite right yet.

are you just like, making progress, guys? Thanks to some advice from a friend I fixed the mini crescents here getting stuck in the floor

your character's feet look too small

All engines have their own strengths and weaknesses. They're all going to make making some sorts of games easier and other sorts of games harder than other potential engines.

Stick to whatever you're comfortable with - but bear in mind that engines are not created equal.

If the tree that doesn't look quite right is the left tree in the upper-middle screenshot: It's because the lighting looks like it's coming from the camera where on the tree next to it it looks like it's coming from above.

I have lots of choices, but I've been using GameMaker since '97.

To clarify, I've been with it since Mark released WIP and demo programs. Pre 1.0 stuff.

I know how it is. I've been using RPG Maker since '99, myself, so I've got that 'home field advantage' engine knowledge you've got with GM. Knowing it that well though, I know that I wouldn't want to try and make a roguelike in it over GM:S (I've been using GM since '02). I know, conversely, that if I want to make a 2D horror game there's no better engine for it right now but RPG Maker.

Just so long as I don't want good dynamic lighting effects that is. If I want that, I'll need to either submit to endless frustration and micromanagement in GM:S or I could just do it in Unity -- where I'd only be comfortable doing so these days because I have assets to manage dialogs.

I'm also pretty good at BUILD and ZZT. Lots of hours in my youth lost to those softwares.

that's a pretty long time. I've used it since version 4 and never met anyone else who's used it longer

Slimegirl, now with 200% more boob jiggle.

Still not completely satisfied, but its good enough for now and I can get back to working on UI shenangians.

Looks good man.

I get that, totally.
I keep meaning to TRY Unity, but I never get further than installing it.

Oh god ZZT! I've played with DigitalMZX recently, still fun.

I'm sure there's others that used it before me, like the guy who introduced me to it.

Anyone have tips for doing a combo system where you can freely chain into different moves at your leisure based on a n input? Something similar to tales of where any arte can be used in combo with any other arte.

on a scale from 0 - memepoly, how's the grass?

look up if statements and storing variables

>0..memepoly
There is no range. you're at memepoly

I don't hear too much about Unity networking. I know they have almost everything there for you to use, but how effective is it in practice?

half way there if it sways/displacable

all the way if it doesn't

What do you think is the best method for level generation in a roguelite-lite? Just generate a random room shape and then place down a few objects? I kind of have a feel that little "structures" that include smaller rooms/chambers, other objects, and enemy patterns that appear in the main room is a better way of doing it.

the comfy jam image does NOT look very comfy
>centered on the people outside in the rain
>one of the guys inside is tossing a knife around in his hand and also right next to an electrical socket
>chairs not balanced at all, likely about to fall over any second
>poster warning their id might be checked at any time

I tried networking my game (notaschoolshooter) and it was a major hassle

The real big issue seems to be the lack of good documentation, lack of consistency of exactly how something works, and just general difficulty searching your issues.

But it really depends on the game you're developing. Mine is real time wit AI, and it was cancer (especially the AI), but a turn based game would be super easy

>how's the grass?
bad, make them proper grass straws rather than mini bushes

Because why would I

danmaku x3!!! !

Swapping between 3 colors is way too hard I think it might be a shit mechanic

how about now senpai

i have some comfy pics to choose from

I'm honestly still confused about what it actually is. Something to do with Unity?

I've spent the last four-five hours just getting spent casings and discarded mags to not clip through the floor or jitter around once they come to rest. As a compromise, they simply become completely static once they come to rest.

I might consider having a "More Expensive Physics" option that leaves them all physically active so you can kick them all over the map.

Gonna have to do something about the sound at some point, the casings alone can max out audio channels!

I liked your demo more than any other on demo day

it's pretty comfy
although I'm in the middle of a heatwave so the kotatsu is triggering me pretty hard

much comfier thanks

we just had kotatsu party but it is below zero

Should use the ultimate comfy image

Comfy guy

>BAC dropping bellow 0.2
>nothing left to refuel with

i'm so fucking sick of the anime, god damn. Stop.

I dont even know what monogame is

literally who?

It's funny that I only have this thread and the /a/ thread about this show open right now.

I really want to a promise with her desu

>find some xo cognac that my brother hid away
Hallelujah!

Progress

>how's the grass
Not usable in a large scene/10

i didn't even bother to make rough sprites to test this i just covered the front stuff with the colors

at least i know the 6-direction rotation is looking okay, i gotta make front and back gun sprites too

although i might just leave it at left and right sprites with the sideways gun to make 1/3 of the sprites i'd have to do in this way

Because I can barely handle the math required for 2D. I flunked Calc2
Also I only dev while drunk, which doesn't help.

Because I don't know how to focus on completing a task, if I did I would be well on my way to making a game.

you can honestly just get away with the left/right sprites
or even just one and flip it horizontally
noone would blame you, people do it all the time

would ejaculate inside/10

>tfw again wasted money for assets which I can't even get to work
I should just give up. It makes no sense. My prgress is 0 for days already.

i haven't touched my game in 7 months. don't be like me.

I think I'm calling it quits with UE4 here. It reminds me too much of work between the poor (and on a couple occasions flat out wrong) documentation, compile times, and general unpleasantness that comes with the absolutely insane way that UE4 implements its C++ as a pseudo-scripting language. It's certainly impressive and kind of a technical achievement, but it turns doing nearly anything in a minefield.

Missiles were totally rewritten in a similar fashion to the bullets. They can guide in on stuff, but I couldn't get them working dynamically because it crashes on what seems like trying to call the fire function on something that hasn't been instantiated yet and I just can't be assed anymore to track down why.

I've still learned a lot though, and I feel like I actually understand the basics of the engine. I appreciate a lot of the things it has built in that you would have to manually write otherwise and those are a great help. There's a ton of extremely useful gameplay framework stuff in there. However at the end of the day I find it unpleasant, unforgiving, and extremely fickle to work with. I ain't got time for that shit. I get enough of that at work.

>I should just give up
No you should not, make your own assets, even if they are just squares from paint, you will know how to use them, and if your game becomes serious, as in, you can take peoples shekels for it, you pay an artist to do the artwork.
By the time the artist is done, you should know how to handle assets properly and subsequently, maybe be able to make enough dosh of your shitty game to cover the artist commission fees-

What are you going to use instead?

Are we witnessing another ascension from dev to enginedev?

this is kind of distressing to hear as i was just about to switch from unity to U4 just for blueprint. i can't continue without a visual scripting aid because im retarded.

for someone like me would it really be that bad? i had feared i would have a more difficult time with the U4 UI and workflow in general.

>make your own assets, even if they are just squares from paint
My problem is not the artwork (for now at least), it is the coding, and understanding how Unity works.
I'd have to study coding for years to be able to make the assets I bought by myself.

>I'd have to study coding for years to be able to make the assets I bought by myself.
What?
Unity literally imports blender files directly, all you have to do is set the point of origin correctly.

He is probably talking about things beyond art assets

I am not talking about making models, I am talking about coding. Coding is wayyyyyyyyyyy to complicated for me. I couldn't learn this shit properly in years.

>for someone like me would it really be that bad?
If you don't know what you're missing when it comes to programming, you'll probably enjoy it more than I did. I know a few people who do everything 100% Blueprint and just deal with it. One of them is practically a UE4 shill because he loves it so much.

Your mileage may vary.

>Coding is wayyyyyyyyyyy to complicated for me. I couldn't learn this shit properly in years
Then I've got news for you, game development isn't for you, because importing assets are the least of your problems.

Sadly C++ in UE4 is a minefield, you are better off using BPs

Here's a simple thing I made in unreal blueprints

>blueprint
hhahaahahahahahahahaahhah
welcome to hell
t. mayhem league dev

>game development isn't for you
Making games isn't just about coding. Most programmers can code like masters but still make complete shit games.
Also, it's not that I don't get anything done, it's just the current thing I try to implement which is too complicated for me.

>unreal blueprints

why would you not use functions/macros

he's really pushing blueprints to their absolute limit and clearly skilled at what he's doing but fucking hell why

>it's just the current thing I try to implement which is too complicated for me.
If loading an asset into unity is too complicated for you, then you've got some serious problems, there is well defined documentation for this kind of shit.
So, again, if you can't handle that, then game development isn't for you.

You said the same thing about at least three other things. Just fuck off.

Because not everyone needs to rely on crutches for noobs like yourself

>If loading an asset into unity is too complicated for you
It's not about loading something in unity, you dumbfuck, it's about implementing it into my game, disphit.

yeah i don't get it
that entire image can be rewritten in 40 lines of actual C++ code
maybe hes just a masochist

What if you have a different weapon?

>It's not about loading something in unity, you dumbfuck, it's about implementing it into my game
So you can't read documentation, it's literally the same, use the Unity asset pipeline, doesn't matter where you implement it, it's the same api.

A minefield is a great way to describe it. Next time I give UE4 a shot I think I might just lean even heavier on the BP because it's kind of ridiculous the hoops you have to jump through and the digging you have to do to in order to make what you'd think should be basic things work in UE4.

I am still working on the same thing, fucktard. Not everyone is satisfied with making boring shit games like you guys here.

>Not everyone is satisfied with making boring shit games like you guys here.
>can't handle asset importing in unity
>better tell these folks their games are shit
10/10 m8

Right now you switch modes by pressing 1-3..

It's very easy to make a classic doom type setup where there's only 10 or so weapons and you can simply switch between them by pressing a button.

If I wanted to make a more complex weapon system I'd have to make a different system.

i know, and i'm prepared for it. i can't code at all due to severe dyslexia so i don't have a choice.

its either spaghetti or no game at all for me.

You can sit on benches.

You'll never accomplish anything.
>how do I make enemies face the player?
>how do I import assets?
>REEEEE YOUR GAMES SUCK REEEEE

what is this junk and how do i get rid of it

>So you can't read documentation
To make use of the documentation you actually have to know your problem, smartass.
I don't even know what the problems are with the asset I try to implement. I don't know what I should search for there.

delete it all

>facing wrong direction on bench

my autism cannot handle this

Protip: don't insult the people you're asking to help you.

deleting it removes meshes