/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

starting seven edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40 (embed)

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn (embed)

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Cheating#All_Skills_Legendary
dfworlds.alexjj.com/worlds/earth-10
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I couldn't get the OP pasta, so I just copied it. Sorry.

It...It isn't hard at all.
Literally you just copy/paste the pastebin version.

I didn't notice it until afterwards, but when I opened the pastebin link, I accidentally selected the "(embed)" after it, breaking the link.

Fucking hell these kidnappings.

bump

>no Zuntir, Vabok, Kubuk, or Olin
>abandon and retry

>mfw I got too greedy when grinding my swimming

>find your body
>put on your armor
>grit your teeth and wear the frostbite scars proudly

What did he mean by this?

>tfw you realise that one of our resident drawfags is so well known that he has a suggestion on google search

To the guy that said he cant enjoy games no more. I mean i cant enjoy them either, Unless i have a job. Im unemployed right now. And its all i can do while i apply to jobs and i hate it! But when i work and i don't feel like going out cause there was to much traffic that day. I can gladly go home play some games and wait till the weekend before i go out. By the way what the fuck is /pol/ doing in my Df?

Everyone likes war when it's their side that's winning.

Race war now, gas the elves. Time of the rope is now

>tfw always read the updates on bay12 in batches
>reading about these "agents"

holy shit

toady is a madman, there's no way the code will be able to handle this

>likes war
>hates weapons
Curious is the trapmaker's art

begone page 10

It can almost do it now, the groundwork is there.

he just wants to fight with his bare hands

fuck forgot to turn the trip off, sorry lads

he has been a madman since he started the game ten years ago buddy
I can't believe I was born on the right time to see this masterpiece get created
Its easily the most ambitious game ever created, and its facing complexity and problems no other dev has faced before

np nig

Where the fuck is the Troll raw

Probably standard?

Im fucking retarded

someone made a post in a previous thread about how they raised the starting discipline skill in their worlds so that average people respond to threats more often. also something about bandit stuff.

Are you still here? Can you or anyone else explain how to raise the starting discipline skill when creating a world?

not him but just enter creature raws and paste [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:X] into every creature you want augmented
where X is a number from 0 to 15
most of the creatures you want to change are likely in creature_standard

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Cheating#All_Skills_Legendary

Go there or if you are fucking lazy asshole. and for everyone else benefit.

Put this under Creature:Dwarf in creature_standard.txt

[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:16] Thats legendary. 1 is Novice,

or do this

I reclaimed a fort in world with dying dwarves. And got all this shit automatically with it. Pretty cool.

thanks guys

How do I enable multilevel view in TWBT?

Ya know what i love about cheating? I get to do sick shit like this! a veil made of SKIN! and i can make some of goblin skin! so whenever i kill a creature instead of its skin being useless. I make clothes with it out of the gui/create-item menu! YES! My warchief is gonna look badass!

are you 12?

fuck i forgot my picture.

yea and im unemployed.

can't this guy go five minutes without talking about himself?
he's easily the worst '''''''famous''''''' user in the forums I've seen
yes, I do count meph

>"haha it would be a shame if someone used the new mechanics to make a vore mod if you catch my drift"
>"yeah I have no idea, but let's return to the matter at hand..."
>"a VORE mod, if you catch my drift" *nudge nudge*
The forum would be a slightly less unpleasant place if he disappeared.

that's why non anonymous forums are cancer

You guys are paying to much attention to people. So what? the guy is obsessed with himself. Let him be. For all you know he has nothing going for him in life except this.

By the way am i the only guy here who is OBSESSED! with the new specify image thing toady added? Seriously every time i create a Temple. I create a statue of that god with a image. And i carve them on walls in that temple. Anyone else do this? I thought this was gonna be a garbage feature but it is actually pretty badass to make figurines of this image and sell em!

>But in MYYyyyyeee fort!
>o3o
What a tardbucket.

Anybody remember if there was a way to set ALL beds to automatically be bedrooms?

Man i hope Dfhack can come up with a way so i do not have to make bedrooms for each bed!

worst of all is that people were talking about fucking adding torture to the game in the fof thread and he derailed the conversation

max, dont defend him, he doesnt deserve it

What is wrong with torture so much? I mean it makes sense. We are playing a game based in a fucked up world. Torturing goblin spy's does not seem edgy compared to other shit in this game.

Also i got to say i have a king. Who mandated we make backpacks, than that we cannot export backpacks.

>Torturing goblin spy's does not seem edgy compared to other shit in this game
it's utterly irreconcilable with dwarven ethics. dwarves in DF are literally lawful good at its most extreme.

the thing is that bay12 is pretty weird in some stuff
You can bash a mother with the corpse of a baby and nobody bats an eye, but certain subjects will get bashed for various reasons
The fact that rubik talked about torture, and that the general consensus after him was positive towards adding the mechanic is a very good thing, because toady'll know that its a feature well seen by the community
RandomDragon had to step in the conversation and derail it
now he's bashing Toady again, because he didnt do what he wanted

WTF.

Goblin sites are the only sites in the game that can't support farms (elf sites don't have farms in vanilla, but the plots they use to grow their trees can also be used for farms). I think that fact carries a pretty strong implication that gobbos aren't meant to eat. That, and the fact that they are the otherworldly servants of demons.

i guess i honestly dont care if they add torture, or if they dont. both work for me. Than again i just enjoyed the combat, and this new Detail system! I love it. I made a axe blade of gold and studded it with copper. And i told him to just make an image related to cyclops. And i got this. Pretty cool! my fellow dwarven trading brothers should pay me well for it! I mean think of it. You get sawed in half. And before you die you admire the beautiful copper image on the blade of a historical event!

yeah man, but imagine a torture system with the same level of detail
Personally its both the fact that you cant control your strength, and the fact that you can't 'interact' with the people sorrounding you that makes me want torture added

If I play goblins, and im at war with dwarves, humans and elves, when do the sieges start to show up? still at 80 pop?

One miner? Get out.
>lmao 7mine

Yep, although I don't think humans send ambushers.

>tfw my embark is 3 miners
>every single wave gets me at least 2-3 new miners no matter what they come with
>when I get 10 legendary+5 miners I create a warpick squadron

fuck me a weregoat just came and butchered my fisherdwarves
this is what I get for wanting to make a fishing village, he was on them and tearing them apart before they could get back to the safety of the cage traps

>what we mining today boss
>goblinite

I always take a Women who will be Doctor and one who is Trader.

I also try to take a male Warrior.

My embark is
>3 dorfs with 5 levels into mining
>1 dorf with 5 woodcutting/5 carpentry
>1 dorf with 5 cooking/5 brewing
>1 dorf with 5 plant gatherer/5 grower
>1 dorf with appraiser, judge of intent, record keeper and that 4th skill I forgot for universal starter noble
Then all children get onto farming thanks to therapist, while all men get drafted to military, and women just get jobs that are needed in the fort, which usually is more fisherdorfs/fish cleaners/millers because fish&flour based diet is breddy good

>He doesn't embark with a mason

There's not really any reason to run your fort like an armed camp after 34.11. With the new standing order system for the manager you don't even have to issue direct orders for most things anymore.

I don't need a starting mason, I usually get one within first 2 waves, and even if I don't, you can train one quickly just by mass producing shit rock cabinets and pots

YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT! rock art is important! Fucking get this elf out of here. Disgusting ROCK ART is DWARVEN LIFE!

Look at this! im ready for this! i cant wait to do an aussie fort where it will be just like real life living off bugs and other giant insects.

ebic

I keep doing this. Damnit.

>paying for woodcutting
>paying for brewing
>paying for cooking
>paying for plant gathering
i don't even

If you had a memorial dedicated to you, what would it say?

Probably not a whole lot

I really need to start playing with perfectworld
too bad Im a complete ignorant on everything that its not vanilla

thats really fucking cool, its even called earth and has evil region in america and southeast europe

can you make bigger-than-standard worlds with perfectworld? because if that's an actual world-sized world, I quit life

i dont use perfect world i found this here

dfworlds.alexjj.com/worlds/earth-10

Why is the entire ocean evil lawd jesus

Because he forgot to set good/evil squares in large regions to 0.

Does being legendary misc object user affect much or is it basically irrelevant?

>building a fort
>playing with libraries and taverns
>no military yet despite being in the caverns
>forgotten beast appears
>kills a bunch of dwarves
>I draft the rest and have them attack
>it kills everyone
>except two kids
>forgotten beast goes to the taverns, where some visiting bards and soldiers are
>gets rekt
>now a fortress of foreign bards and two orphans
Pic related, the survivors.

Seems like the miasma and death has got the foreigners down too.

>he is one hundred eighty-nine years old
Huh

I had a dwarf that was 283 year old before the one I screencapped bit his head off.

Seems a bit too old for a dwarf, don't you think?

Not if he's a vegan.

not if you delete dwarven maxage

This is vanilla DF. I didnt mod anythig.

I'm afraid that he might not be just a regular dwarf.

he was a vamp or werebeast

Yeah I've just found a corpse drained off blood in the moad.
Guess the werebeast saved me from a vampire.
Killing 30 other dwarves in the meantime.

do you liek hitttting with stieks?

Bashing people with shields is Misc User, iirc.
Also, it's essentially the "improvised weapon skill." Makes you deadly with everything from carving forks and anvils to disembodied limbs to live vermin.

Shield bashing is still horribly worthless even with legendary misc user though. Shields just suck as weapons. Too much contact area, no force.

I wonder what's better for bashing, shields or bucklers

Does anyone know if DFHACK has a find feature on embark? Like if i wanted to find a place with specific ore such as Tetra, and Gold. Or Tertra and flux.? I am using the prospect all command. but did dfhack ever implement a find?

30 seconds with the DFhack manual:
>If prospect is called during the embark selection screen, it displays an estimate of layer stone availability.

What do you fags look for in a mod?

Is putnam's weapon stuff full of shit or should I use it?

i know about that. Im using it right now. I was asking if there is a specific find function such as ( prospect find gold) but i don't think there is. O well. Found a good spot anywhere. Gonna play where i live on world map.

poo when?

I don't know if you're still here, multilevel is dfhack command, so you want to put its settings in dfhack.init.
When you downloaded TWBT there should have been a file called README that contains the relevant multilevel commands and default settings.
If you fucked up dfhack will yell at you on startup.

does rendermax work with the newest version?

I'm sorry to say I don't know; I've never used it.

Izzat right?

happening

the fuck is that

now I dont know what hungry heads are, but my mind thought of them as little vicious beings waiting to be bigger and uncontrolable
Now I want to have the tools to make creatures change from [benign] to [evil] after becoming adults

Imagine having a caste of psycopathic dwarves that were identical to normal dwarves and had a fixed small chance of being born
They behave like normal dwarves for twelve years and bam, they start killing people and not having any remorse
We could totally get chronical mental diseases in the game using this method, what the fuck