Would such a design work for an internal combustion engine?

Would such a design work for an internal combustion engine?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah!!! youre gonna get real great compression with a design that has big gaping slots on the sides of all the cylinders!

Isn't that the idea behind a non-wankel rotary engine?

radial engine?

I'm sure it could be made to work, but there are some immediately obvious problems that would need to be solved first. The valvetrain probably won't be too much of an issue because it can just be set up like a radial engine, but unlike a radial engine the crankshaft isn't in line with the centre of the engine. This means you'd have to have some crazy gearing setup to step down all the torque coming off the crankshaft. Also, although it's not entirely clear from the gif, it looks like the crankshaft doesn't actually rotate in a circle, even at the very end it's more of an ellipsis. This could possibly be the largest problem although I don't doubt that a better engineer than myself could come up with something. Finally, I'd be worried about exhaust gases going from one cylinder to another as the piston moves down to the bottom of its stroke (or the top of its return stroke, assuming each piston is double-ended and combustion occurs at each end). It might not be such a terrible problem depending on how the valves are set up, but it could mean some exhaust goes into the intake or gets into a compression stroke, which would limit the amount of fuel that could be burned in it. That's not really a problem for 2t motors though.

Also this, I don't know how you'd go about connecting the crankshaft to the pistons whilst keeping the cylinder sealed. Maybe you could use magnets but then you'd either need some crazy lubrication to ensure the crankshaft can slide over whatever it's sitting on, and it could cause the pistons to scrape against one side of the cylinder, leading to excessive scoring and piston ring wear on one side and blowby on the other side. Also, if anything went wrong and the magnet let go for whatever reason you could have three steel projectiles flying around inside your engine, which could hit the cylinder heads or each other.

In conclusion, while the design could potentially be made to work as an ICE, I don't think it's a particularly viable option considering conventional designs are perfectly function and reasonably well refined, and there are better concept designs out there, such as the Huttlin kugelmotor.

no. the expanding gasses will leak into the other cylinders. How would you seal the center bit.

no

"Crankshaft" is almost free floating and being supported only by two pistons which makes me wonder how long this engine could sustain rotation for under the kind os catostrophic vibration I imagine it would be exhibiting at even a low rpm like 2kRPM.
Its not a radial. Its not a rotary. Its not a 4 stroke becuase how are you gonma suck in air/fuel, compress it, blow it up, and expell it when the pistons keep changing cyinders?!?!?!
C'mon Veeky Forumstards
Fuck. this is childish to even this could work.
Fckn kll urslfs.

You could always give the engine a low compression ratio so that you can inject compressed air/fuel as the piston moves into a cylinder and forms a seal with it (a higher compression ratio would make it harder to get air/fuel into the cylinder since it's being injected and compressed at the same time). And then you could have the exhaust under constant vacuum and suck it out from a port in the centre of the engine, where the cylinders meet. So the cylinder fires, the piston moves down and into the opposite cylinder, which lets the exhaust go into the centre chamber where it is sucked out. Of course, if you have to have a low compression ratio and a constant vacuum then what's the fucking point, you won't make any power. You're right, it's a retarded design for an actual engine, but it's fun to think about how you might make it work.

Its not necessary to have those slots. You could seal them and connect via pistons that come out on top of the circle - think about an inside out radial engine

Thats more like rotary (non wankel) engines holes in cylinders wont help it in any way unless you have an idea to close it entirely when it starts compression movement.

That gif looks sexual as fuck

What's the plan? The output would be either the reciprocating motion of the trammels or the elliptical motion of the handle neither would be overly useful for propulsion.

>inject compressed air
That's not gonna happen. Do you understand just how much air an engine goes through?

It always makes me kek.
Also pic related does too

well it's not even a circular motion

If you could make that the input crank then you could have a short stoke for the piston resulting in lower acceleration and a long throw from the crank for more torque. The problem it how you translate the resultant trammel motion into something useful without massive efficiency losses.

Elliptical drivetrain and wheels, clearly

>combustion chamber only has one cylinder
pathetic

Swiggity swooty, radial is coming for that booty.

Wouldn't the rotors have terrible rotation speed differences, or does that convoluted triple u joint somehow address that?

Yeah, I'm not saying use bottles of compressed air like some sort of oversized gas duster, I just mean forced induction. There just needs to be something forcing air into the combustion chamber against the pressure caused by the piston, so it would probably have to run a lot of boost.

> half the force on each piston
> double the mechanical waste
This is a meme right?

Nope
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

>so it would probably have to run a lot of boost.
So hows it gonna do that, user?
>Well its simple really.... you just use a traditional 4 stroke engine with a turbo on it , but instead of routing the exuast fumes back to a turbo powering the engine creating the exhaust you run the exhuast fumes to a turbo slapped onto this shitty concept engine so it can receive the "a lot of boost" that it requires to function as you say
Kind of like a dual engine assisted low efficincy output autist design..
I love it!!
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEE!!
Typical autists solution!!
Its not working :( it probably needs a lot of boost!!
Srsly you just cranked to odds of catostrophic failure up to 11 with that suggestion.
A turbo & lots of boost arent gonna fix stupid!

You're being needlessly angry. I'm not trying to convince you that this could be the next god engine, I was just trying to explore how it might work. I know it's stupid and impractical, so you don't need to make up a bunch of shit about powering it with other engines to try and point out how stupid and impractical it is. Not sure what you're trying to achieve by screaming about "muh autism" either.

There was nothing to explore here on the forst place. You provided a stupid answer for people to shitpost on.... remember where you are. Dont carve stupid shit into stone if it hurts your autistic feels so easily to be called out on it!
Quit fighting it. Embrace the shitpost.

They're projecting

Thanks doc.

Isnt this like a rotary or radial engine?
Can someone explain?

Cant you read any of the previous posts that answer your question?

apex seals

no. and a radial engine is nothing like a rotary except both make a shaft spin.

Honestly i have no clue what im looking at.

Love the deltic. First DE to break the mainline speed record set by steam engines.