/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

megafileupload.com/8efp/cemu1.7.0_(2).zip
geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295
youtube.com/watch?v=k7nsBoqJ6s8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
twitter.com/vgturtle127/status/819763123305512960
celso.io/2012/12/17/connecting-a-raspberry-pi-to-an-old-15khz-arcade-monitor.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is emulation still a meme?

Which CRT shader is the best?

Has anyone ever tried connecting their PC to a CRT for emulation?
Any recommendations?

N64 is.

Taping fine tooth combs over your eyes.

CEMU 1.7, to anyone who was asking for it in last thread

megafileupload.com/8efp/cemu1.7.0_(2).zip

And talking about Cemu, I'm having a problem with XbcX, the bloom effect is way high and I can see shit during the day. Is there a way to fix this?

>Has anyone ever tried connecting their PC to a CRT for emulation?
Anyone born before 1990 used a CRT as monitor for his PC

Jesus Christ you kids

I had a CRT computer monitor in the 90s as a kid, yeah.
I don't want a CRT monitor. I already own a CRT tv.
What I want is to connect it to my TV.

I was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations with a small amount
of lag.

I think he may be asking about CRT TVs.

Are any games actually playable on it yet?

I try 3 games: New Super Mario U, Mario World 3D, and XbcX. All three of them are very playable, in fact, the first two runs at 60fps no problem. XbcX on the other hand, it runs at 30fps, and in my case with a terrible bloom effect that don't let me see shit.

Specs?
I'm wondering about BotW and whether to play it on WiiU or PC when it comes out.

CRT Royale

Needs bigger resolution that looks like crap

rx480
i5 6500
8gb ddr4

Depends on what CRT it is. 31KHz+ CRT monitors are easy to get working on PC provided your video card still has a DVI-I port.

15KHz CRTs require more in-depth configuration, usually specific video cards and hacked drivers, and potentially a RGB to YPbPr transcoder if the CRT does not have RGB input.

Would an HDMI to component converter work well?

I've an i5-4690 and a gtx970. Might be OK.
I've played BotW on the switch and there were quite a few areas where there were framerate drops. It'd be nice to be able to remedey those with CEMU.

That's fucking 4K already, cropped to show a single sprite.

Look at it on a 4K monitor and it looks fine.

Real CRT TV for comparison

Paper Mario only bugged in the bridge part after I beat the Goomba King.
But I have an nvidia card. IGpus suck.

Play paper mario on dolphin virtual console.

No. Those either will have lag and/or they will force a single output resolution.

The correct resolutions have to come from the video card and output to the TV without being changed. A analog transcoder can do that because it only changes the color space of the signal and does not do any signal conversion.

Why isn't there an emulator with xinput support?
I want to plug my xbox controller and not have to configure shit.

Pcsx2.

RetroArch literally has XInput autoconfiguration.

I guess the only way to do it would be to put down quite a bit of money then.
Might a HDMI to component cable work?

With switching A and B.

No HDMI anything is going to work. The video card has to output an analog RGB signal through VGA or DVI for 15KHz output to be possible.

If you're serious about using a 15KHz CRT, then get a Radeon card compatible with CRT_Emudriver. CRT_Emudriver 2.0 supports up to HD 7000 series and works on Windows 7 and Windows 10 64-bit.

geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

What the fug? I downloaded Pokken for WiiU but can't find a file to get it loaded on CEMU

Yes, but you'll need a physically separate audio cable or it won't mux right (audio vs. video delay will be VERY noticeable).

I'd recommend a HDMI > Y-Splitter, then buy your respective standalone cables.

Thanks for the info.
I'll keep it in consideration. My tv's pretty cheap in the end,
so I probably won't really gain much until I decide to invest a lot of money into a setup.
I was looking for a simple fix, but I'm content with just using my Wii for emulation if I need the tv.

Again, thanks for the info.

Literally made-up on the spot.

They don't have one yet. Be patient.

Is any non-current Nintendo console badly emulated at this point?

Virtual boy, Wii, DS, N64

Uwotm8

I would like to thank the user that mentioned wiiusbhelper. This shit is insane, reminds me of the early steam days when it got hacked wide open.

That hasn't been true for at least a month. The default setting now is a -> confirm, b -> cancel

1.4.0 when?

What about X and Y?

Neogeo has some neat hidden gems in its big ass fighting list

>hqx

Sure. Anything past the SNES and GBA, respectively.

How is that "made-up on the spot"? It's common knowledge that you can't get 15KHz out of HDMI.

That's actually SABRE. Common mistake.

Stop trolling. HDMI is very nearly n-HZ capable, for all practical purposes. I'm sure there's some insanely low or high limits it can't handle, but in that case I'm going to need you to show me a display ever manufactured that would even utilize those relevant frequencies.

>Real CRT TV for comparison
That means nothing

What you see there depends on the type of tv and the type of cable (rgb, RF, composite scart etc.)

There is not one "CRT look"

I don't know what that is

Are those even used in the RetroArch menu? I've never touched them.

Point me to a video card that can output 15KHz over HDMI. Pretty sure that low of a scan rate is out of spec for HDMI anyway.

15KHz is the scan rate of all 480i/240p CRT TVs and monitors. We're not talking about vertical refresh rate, which is usually 60Hz or 50Hz except in the case of arcade monitors.

They're swapped in games if you use default mappings, to match snes pads.

>Stating facts is trolling

lol

Retroarch maps your 4 buttons to the SNES ones which are the DE FACTO standard of gaming

X
YA
B

And that gives us, literally XInput autoconfiguration with 4 wrong buttons.

SNES mapping, used by:
SNES
3DS
Wii
WiiU

Alternative map:
Dreamcast
Xbox
X360
Xbone

Looks like we fall into the categories of Nintendo maps vs non-nintendo maps.
Since nintendo abandoned theirs at the N64 and only picked it back up at the wii pro controller, dreamcast made the new standard which was copied by Xbox.

Also y axis is up and x is horizontal which makes more sense.

I use a nvidia shield controller

Iirc what's printed on the buttons is the same as the Xbox

Retroarch maps them as I wrote above and works great

Top is X
Middle is Y A
Bottom is B

>blatant lies are facts

Dude, nearly every high-end video card on the market can do that. lrn2google

And this one seems to be the tie breaker. Pack it up. New standard is dreamcast standard.

Retroarch is meant to play guess what RETRO games

And the standard until 2000 was Nintendo buttons

Suck my dick

>Suck my dick
youtube.com/watch?v=k7nsBoqJ6s8

>the standard until 2000 was Nintendo buttons
Dreamcast was released in 1998. There was one of each type on the market in the year 2000.

No, they can't. In fact drivers usually disallow 15KHz output from working in the first place, hence the need for hacked drivers like CRT_Emudriver or Soft15Khz

You're the one who is trolling here, stating false information that video cards can output analog 15KHz 240p over HDMI...

>Tries so hard to push xbox/Dreamcast as standard
>Gets told
>Hurr I meant the genesis! (Which was outsold by SNES like 10 to 1)

Keep sucking

>blatant lies
>implying

Wait. there are people who actually want to map SNES A to Xbox A, SNES B to Xbox B, etc.?

What the fuck?

>button layout autism
you dipshits realize the point of libretro was to have a standardized controller so that this wouldn't matter? Psx games work fine with controls bound like
X
YA
B
RetroArch is smart enough to pass your inputs through correctly
stop this fucking autism

Fuck CEMU, keeps crashing before games even boot.

I want to map my emulated retropad to the buttons on my controller and then I'll do core remaps for anything else.

None of you guys are funny. If you want to prevent cancer, consider standing out in front of the shuttle that is running in front of the hotel on the hour. Thank you.

>>>/srg/

It's not like you look at the controller when playing anyway

Just learn the SNES layout by muscle memory and don't be a bitch

WAA!

>N64
nice meme

Genesis was ABC
Saturn was XYZ/ABC

'standard'

Nintendofag

So how much am I risking to just emulate Breath of the Wild Instead of forking out 360 moneys for Switch? Are extra frames, bigger resolution and storage worth a buggy as fuck emulator that crashes every half hour? Or am I being sceptical?

Also, how much of a difference will Wii U BoTW on an emulator compare to BoTW on a potential Switch emulator? Unrelated to Zelda, how long will I be waiting for a Switch emulator when Mario Odyssey gets released?

Try waiting.

You risk zero if you spend nothing

The CEMU Zelda will look better than the switch since we can upscale and stuff

Plus keep in mind cemu was unplayable in September and today a lot of games run at 60fps

In March it's gonna be even better hopefully

How long do you think it'll take without having bugs and crashes out the ass?

I would say at least one patreon release. Or two, depending on release schedule of Zelda and Cemu.

I wish this Breath of the Wild autism would end. Really tired of reading about it.

Cite your sources or get the fuck out. My current video card is more than capable.

Breath of the Wild has several quirks that will likely ensure it can't be emulated for some time. Even so, I wouldn't shell out for a Switch.

>Plus keep in mind cemu was unplayable in September
No it wasn't, SMW3D was playable since at least March.

>I wish this Breath of the Wild autism would end. Really tired of reading about it.
I hope thousands of kids donate to patreon so that we all get a better emulator

>Implying they didn't just steal Nintendo code and now they're out of ideas on how to improve

The source is that HDMI is a digital source and CRTs require an analog source. Therefore an external DAC would be needed in between to achieve output to a CRT TV in the first place, which usually means extra lag or lower quality. That's not even getting into whether or not a card allows 15KHz output with correct sync signals.

>HDMI is backward compatible with single-link Digital Visual Interface digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A).
>but not DVI-A

DVI-A is just analog VGA with a different connector. 15KHz output to a CRT requires analog signal because that's how CRTs fucking work.

Now, please fuck off with the disinformation.

This.

So, you have no source.

Tell you what...

>Now, please fuck off with the disinformation.

Why don't you do the same.

No, they could boot it since March. Not the same thing.

What game? What is that small window on the side for?

I beat the game on 1.4.0.

Batman Ultimate Fighter for the Sega Saturn. Haven't quite figured what that window is for yet.

I think you're just trolling at this point. All you've done is basically the equivalent of "my Dad works for Nvidia and he said HDMI can output 15KHz straight to a CRT!" and then demands proof and responds with "lrn2google" when you're called out on it.

You're a fucking moron and you should consider never posting again.

And?

>I have no proof of my own, but surely you should provide some!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Read it and weep, faggot.

twitter.com/vgturtle127/status/819763123305512960

Glad to see the guy alive

celso.io/2012/12/17/connecting-a-raspberry-pi-to-an-old-15khz-arcade-monitor.html

>HDMI to VGA active adaptor
>RGB to VGA downscaler

Yuck. This is what HDMI needs for CRT output.

I have contamination and mutants in my brain