Does an engine exist that is globally accepted as "the best"?

Does an engine exist that is globally accepted as "the best"?
There's this dude at my work who keeps going off about how great the 2JZ is, being able to reach 700bhp and such shit wich stock internals and claims that it is universally accepted as the greatest engine ever.
I did point out that the old Chrysler 2 litre engines could get up to 800bhp with stock internals and not blow up, he proceeded to lose his shit.

I've also pointed out to him a few times that I personally prefer BMW engines, especially the older ones and he now thinks I am the biggest asshole in the building because I didn't agree with him that the BMW V12 is the worst engine of all time, to which I pointed out that the BMW M40 and M43 exist which are worse, then there's a fucking ton of Eastern European engines with varying degrees of fucking terrible, so most certainly the worst ever is one of those.

I personally like the BMW M50 and would consider it the best engine ever built. It's cheap to maintain, easy to fix and quite reliable.
The M30 comes in as a close second, but they do have some valve train/cam issues and that bitch is heavy as fuck.

The Chrysler 2.2 litre Turbo II also has a place next to my heart as it was reliable as fuck, had power to spare and was extremely easy and cheap to maintain. Parts availability was a bit problematic though, couldn't find a new original radiator for the life of me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y5rGyP6SSYM
youtu.be/4_6V7XjkLMo
hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1109-stock-gm-ls-engine-big-bang-theory/
youtube.com/watch?v=ND4EA0dnAM8
youtube.com/watch?v=K7lITK8a6vs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the SBC or LS are the only logical answers tbqh

the engine in the ford gt

Ellis juan

Owned one SBC in my old Firebird which was a fucking timebomb. One morning I realized that the car didn't turn over anymore, checked the plugs and realized that the cylinders were filled with water, both heads had managed to crack during the night.
Dunno if I just got a bad unit or it decided that it's time in this world was over and offed itself.

It was the "305" one though, so no big loss.

"What is the best car"
"What is the best engine"
"what is the best X"

It's a pointless thing to argue about. depends on what you need

All engines and configurations have their advantages and disadvantages. Depends on what you need in the car

Have some very pretty engine noises
youtube.com/watch?v=Y5rGyP6SSYM

>Does an engine exist that is globally accepted as "the best"?
Nope, but this gets my vote.

youtu.be/4_6V7XjkLMo

That depends entirely on what you want from your engine.
If you just want a light, small engine, get a 26b turbo.
If you want relieability get a OM-615.
If you want fuel efficiency get a 1KR-FE

Merc AMG V6 Turbo

an electric motor

The hate for M40 and M43 is misplaced, although they where turds designed in the 80's and kept alive during the early 90's, they where not unreliable.

Driven 50K on an m40b18 block with 0 maintenance other than chaning oil, the block had 130k on the clock and I doubt the previous owner ever changed anything. BMW recommended changing the timing BELT every 20K miles, lel, jews, turns out that wasn't necessary.

The only issue with these blocks is them developping a ticking lifter noise after oil starvation. That's it...

Serial hybrid masterrace!

I think he might have confused best with heaviest.

To decide best you would first need to define the criteria. That would devolve into arguing.
The BMW straight six engines have been in wards top 10 for as long as I can remember. The LSx is probably the best engine in the last decade when you consider cost, power, weight, dimensions and durability.
My favorite engine is the mezger flat 6.

>Does an engine exist that is globally accepted as "the best"?
GM's LS V8.
Capable of over 1200 HP on stock internals.
Tell him to take this and shove it in his overweight iron block ass
hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1109-stock-gm-ls-engine-big-bang-theory/

They ran out of dyno time before they could break it.

Just a weebfag

nah they're shit.

>getting to autistic Veeky Forums arguments irl

>There's this dude at my work who keeps going off about how great the 2JZ is, being able to reach 700bhp and such shit wich stock internals and claims that it is universally accepted as the greatest engine ever.
The 2JZ is a one trick pony
>muh dyno numbers
It's a heavy lump of an engine which is only any good if you like showing off at the dyno or racing from a roll.

youtube.com/watch?v=ND4EA0dnAM8

youtube.com/watch?v=K7lITK8a6vs
the only right awnser

best engine for what? I think the best engine is om617 because eh reliable and doesnt afraid of anything.

I've found the best way to shut people up about engine/drivetrain wars is to go full Honda fanboi on them and point out how sub-2.0 liter NA I4's are able to do everything you could possibly want them to do for a considerably cheaper sum, and how a 1.8 liter managed to push out 195 HP natasp while V8's of the time struggled to reliably put 500 down and be daily driven.
Then get into power to weight, sprinkle in how their cars were designed (DC2 Integra) from the ground up to work with a FWD config instead of slapping it on as another way to make a profit margin.
Generally gets most everyone tired of talking engines really fast.

>they actualy drove 250+ with that engine
>for 24 hours straight

That's nuts I have mad respect for the LS and I can't wait to fiddle around with my stock top to bottom ls.

Gonna get heads and a big cam and go from there.

It made 300rwhp with 150k original miles on pump gas and behind a dying automatic.

Not bad for a 16 year old engine with only bolt ons

You're right but it seems people think the ability to handle huge amounts of power before shitting your guts aout makes a good engine. look at this thread.

This appeals to me on so many levels

Best engines:
1. LS
2. SBC
3. GM 3800-II

Not even a GM fan, but their engines are objectively the best despite the cars they put them in being shit.

t. gm marketing

I drive a Mazda.

>One trick pony

There isn't any Ls faster than this

>top 10 fastest sport compacts
>no ls

Nope, don't think they ever put one in a sport compact.

>old Chrysler 2 litre engines could get up to 800bhp with stock internals and not blow up
Which ones?

It couldn't compete no ls has even gone under 6 seconds

All these 2jz motors use OEM head and block

The only thing close to them are big block promods

Why do 2JZ spergs always go full retard over the LS? I don't give a fuck about your favorite ricerocket vs some v8, nobody gives a fuck about your stupid 600lb inline 6 against some stupid 600lb V8 in the drags. Fuck drag racing and fuck your favorite engine.

How fucking retarded are you? You haven't refuted what I said at all. ONE TRICK PONY
>MUH HP
>MUH DRAG
>MUH DYNO
Also that's "Fastest sport compacts" there literally cannot be a LS engine in that class by the rules so how retarded are you to think that there would be one on that list?

There isn't a single ls motor in existence close to the 2jz

The 2 jz is the best motor ever created by an OEM period

That can´t be true, only the F20C can barely do that with somewhat stock parts.

>all that matters is peak power
>HURRRRRURHUDHDHDR LS MOTOR
>2JZ BEST
Stupid fanboys actually believe this shit.

LS is shit just like 2JZ.
You keep comparing your boat anchor to an LS lmao, probably because LS is the only dogshit engine shittier than an 2JZ.

Yeah I was thinking that too.
Op is a fag as always

>nobody gives a fuck about your stupid 600lb inline 6 against some stupid 600lb V8 in the drags.
The LS is notably lighter than the JZ I6, generally just under 500 lbs. I believe it's around 476 lbs for an LS2.

Completely disagree.

Duramax FTW.

Because you can have it as a daily driver and get shit done.

Also Cummins and HEMI

token truckcuck

If you are willing to venture in the world of motorcycles, the Japanese inline 4 is pretty much accepted as the best. The combination of fuel efficiency, reliability, and power band makes it ideal for racing. They are overbuilt for the street since no one is going to pin it at red line for hours on end so they are practically bullet-proof in the real world.

No drag racers besides small tire door car racers use LS engines, so no, there won't be that many if LS powered drag cars in the 5s because it would be literally noncompetitive. Nobody is going to build a 5 second drag car as a hobby using an engine that rules it out from any class involving that kind of speed..

>Muh DURRamax
>Muh comeapart
>Muh pushrod chrysler meme

Anything that ****needs**** a turbo to make any usable power is a no-go for me, So fuck the 2JZ.

LS based engines can make crazy power NA for little money, or you can super/procharge them and make ridiculous torque for cheap or go twin turbo and have a 4 figure HP daily driver.

my RICERONI JDM ENGINES
just wait till the VTEC kicks in!

You truly know nothing

Which engine powers the world's fastest production car

>cuckrods
>best

lmao

A quad turbo W16.

Just make sure you never run out of fuel system capacity. They did another article with a similar engine, a 6.0 to be exact, which was pushed beyond its fuel system just to see what happened. The cylinder heads still haven't landed and the rods have discovered a new oilfield. Power doesn't kill engines, running lean does.

Gearboxes set speed and acceleration moreso than engines.
Taking a NASCAR engine for example. Goes 280+ with a wide geared 4spd. With the slushbox 3spd in my station wagon it would top out at 110. A narrow geared 5spd, like an older Miata would also top out lower than the NASCAR tranny, but would have twice, triple, or maybe quadruple the acceleration.

So engines alone we need to compare rev limits, peak hp, where in the tach it makes hp, and reliability. A motorcycle engine would probably win in most cases, except peak hp.

My vote goes for Chrysler(AMC)'s 4.0l I6. Good low revolution horsepower, and more indestructible than an Iron Duke with Vtec made by Toyota.

>doesn't realize the duramax is a japanese engine
>WAAAAAH YOU ONLY LIKE JAPANESE ENGINES

lol kys retard

(also honda a shit; they put the engine on the wrong side of the car)

>5.3L
>turbo
>1200hp
>226hp/L

Meanwhile the F20C does ~800hp with stock internals out of 2 litres wich is about 400hp/L

If your gearbox isn´t insanely short, it doesn´t limit you Vmax.

While were on the topic of shitty engines... How the fuck did VW manage to get barely 1200hp out of 16 cylinders and 4 turbo's?

>Meanwhile the F20C does ~800hp with stock internals out of 2 litres wich is about 400hp/L

For an hour maybe... Don't be retarded and compare a 2l to a 5.4l @ 800hp and say the smaller displacement engine will be more reliable...

enjoy your dyno queen motor

>2017
>not making over 1000hp with a 2 liter

If it can do 400hp/l for one hoer, it can do 226hp/l for a long time.
Also the F20C features forged internals, also its pistons are coated and its camshafts are hardened.

The turboed LS won´t last long at this output either since its bearing surfaces are no longer using hydrodynamic friction and are not sputted.

Lister D

I don't see any F20 powered planes or boats. LS V8's are used in boats, desert racing trucks, planes for a reason.

The Hennessy venom GT has a twin turbo lsx

Planes are usually powered by Rotax 900 series engines.
LS engines are illegal for avionic use in most ICAO states since you need dubble ignition and a certification.

Also the F20C is a rare engine since they stopped the S2k production.

Your newfag is showing

>production cars

>rare
It barely costs more than a B18C5

1500, Chiron. Also has a torque curve flatter than a 10 year old chinese boy. The turbos are in full boost starting at 1500 RPM. It's actually fairly impressive for a mere 8.0 liter.

>putting a used engine in a plane
That is not how it works.

>It's actually fairly impressive for a mere 8.0 liter.

For a production car maybe but pathetic compared to real world engines. You could slap some tiny turbo's on a 8 liter V8 and have the same torque curve and 1000x the reliability.

>putting any engine with several catastrophic failure modes in any aircraft

>didnt read the article
its a 4.8 mane

Doesn´t make that much of a difference.

When you're benchracing with HP/L figures it does dumbass.
>226 vs 250
That's a 10% increase

>Merlin

Confirmed for best sounding engine.

>226hp/L vs 250hp/L
vs 400hp/L

>engine that will last a season vs engine that will last a few pulls
well now

chrysler products are shit, 2jz is a pigfat meme engine. you're both wrong and fucking idiots.

The RB20 is the most powerful race in the world.

>HUR DUR I KAN PUT BIG TURBO ON MY LITTLE STOCK 4 CYLINDER AND MAKE MORE POWER PER LITER
Enjoy cleaning up piston fragments and rod pieces on the track several times per year. Meanwhile bigger engines like 2JZs, N54s, RB26s, LSx, will continue to make as much power as your high strung lagmotor reliably enough for DD use without blowing up.

Both engines won´t last long under full load...

The F20C would have been built with design priorities that would hamper it's ability to handle huge amounts of boost.

But what's the best among those bigger engines?

I've been reading this thread, and I still don't see anyone making a reasonable pro/con comparison between the 2JZ and LSx.

Probably not, no.

The F20C has a high compression stock and Internals to handle 9000rpm and last 300.000km.
If you decrease the compression ratio it can therefore handle high amounts of boost.

Have you seen the rods and pistons on old engines. The F20C internals are baby shit

Volvo B18/B20 gets my vote. Irv Gordon has done over 3 million miles in his 1800, and I think it's been rebuilt twice. Just ridiculous.

>handles 9000rpm
>baby shit

Yes, baby shit.

>not a production car
>no return run

It's a 1.8l putting out 40hp... Anything with that low of a power to weight ratio is going to be reliable. It's hardly ridiculous.

A grown up engine doesn't need to rev out to 9000rpm to make minivan power. That little torque is only useful in sub 1500lb race cars, Not your pigfat 3200lb honda.

>and I still don't see anyone making a reasonable pro/con comparison between the 2JZ and LSx.

I'll do it for you.

2JZ pros vs LS-series
>makes bigger power on stock internals than the LS with a big turbo
>block can take more abuse than OEM LS blocks
>revs pretty high
>smoother

LS-series pros vs 2JZ
>will make big power with a lot less lag than the 2JZ because more displacement = more off-boost power and torque
>lighter than or equal in weight to the 2JZ while more displacement and a lower/further back CoG
>is factually very light for a 5.7L+ engine
>better base for a powerful street friendly NA engine
>cheaper

Pros of both
>durable, pretty much bulletproof even if abused as long as they're not """tuned"""
>good throttle response

The 2JZ is an objectively better engine if you want to make impressive power or drag/roll race. The 2JZ is an objectively better platform if you chase numbers like in standing mile or dyno shootouts.

The LS is an objectively better engine for a general purpose (i.e. trackday, canyon, autox) car because of its weight and weight distribution, and it will deliver power in a more linear manner than an equivalent 2JZ because of larger displacement.

>40hp

That was the low compression version fitted to tractors lol. The others produced between 75 and 115hp, depending on compression and if it was single or dual carb. But 3 million miles on 1960's tech is pretty damn impressive.

Name one naturaly aspirated engine that does the same power/L at lower RPM.

>more displacement = more off-boost power and torque
and what does that have to do with 'lag'?

I cringed

The f20c will actually make 700hp+ on stock internals for a respectable amount of time, at least 20,000km on an already high life engine
Its cute that you need to use hyperbole as an argument though

>hp/L

Well memed

>The f20c will actually make 700hp+ on stock internals for a respectable amount of time, at least 20,000km on an already high life engine
That car probably spent 5 minutes in total flat out. The rest of the time it was crawling around out of boost.

I think you're missing his point. HP/L is a largely meaningless metric unless you're doing some form of muh numbers competition. A decently powerful engine that peaks at 6-7000rpm and makes ample torque throughout the rev range trumps a high-strung HP/L machine on the street every time..

>and what does that have to do with 'lag'?
If you're asking this it's because you have literally no idea how turbos work. Let me spell it out for you.
>the Turbo flows enough for 1,000hp
>you can use it on 6L or 3L engine
>6L engine provides more exhaust flow throughout the rev range as long as it isn't some manner of industrial engine with no flow therefore it spools the turbo sooner and faster
This is a fact. If you put the same size turbo on two different engines aiming for the same power goal and one has twice the displacement of the other, the bigger one will make more torque sooner and will spool the turbo faster under load, resulting in better transient response. A bigger engine will not make more power with a smaller turbo because turbo flow dictates power not engine flow.