/indie/ - Indie Games General

>What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy,Cookie Clicker, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indies, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/kingofthemay/
youtube.com/watch?v=06NyIz6fc_E
youtube.com/watch?v=BUaOXPNroeM
youtube.com/watch?v=5urvuyk3cVo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Post cute!

Guess /indie/'s truly dead this time, oh well.

Gettysburg still kicking my ass

does someone want to buy me LISA? my friend says it's a great game, but i don't have $10
steamcommunity.com/id/kingofthemay/

Replaying Rayman Origins. Nowhere near as good as the first game, but pretty good nonetheless.

This level though is 11/10:
youtube.com/watch?v=06NyIz6fc_E
I don't normally like swimming levels, but this one nails it with the atmosphere.

What burned me out on Rayman Origins is that when I got to the hard worlds I didn't like the reuse of the world themes.

They tried to spice them up a bit, but I hear you. The game honestly had more levels than it needed, and it kept the good ones hostage for too long. The first level set of each world is just too easy, a single introduction level instead of something like 5 would have been enough.

So what's indie up to?

Homework and Epic Battle Fantasy 4 Steam release. On the highest difficulty.

On second playthough, Fall of the 1st year in Stardew Valley. Married to Shane, raising chickens and farming the shit out of my wilderness farm.

I'm severely lacking in iron, is there a good way to gather ore without having to go through the same 5 levels in the mines a hundred times?

doodling some fonts

What's the fonts for?

Funny enough my friend gave me that, is it good?

If you like turn-based RPGs, yeah. The enemy variety is really nice, plenty of gear to mix and match, a wide range of skills (and a grinding system that means you don't need to level up to unlock skills and the like), humor is hit or miss, mixture of self-aware and silly.
You also get an achievement for playing with Natalie's tits.

game

A fair warning also: On the highest difficulty, shit actually gets kinda hard when it comes to common enemy mandatory fight and you'll need to really learn your shit and grind.
Bosses get comically hard unless you're willing to pour everything into it constantly.
>Just hit a brick wall at this 4-stage fight, so gonna go clear out everything, allocate all my AP, forge gear and retry
>Thankfully, you can flee a battle for free at any time so long as one active member is still alive
>But you don't get any Consumables you used back
>Or any EXP or items
>The finished waves Reset for next encounter

A perfect /indie/ waifu doesn't exi--

So what's Six's deal?

Heidi the core city doc is my waifu.

He is a cunt.

That information would be detrimental to you.

The chick who castrates you in your Motion acid trip?

He is a cuuunt, a fucking cunt.
Gets offended easier than a teenage girl on tumblr.
Literally nothing personnel teleports behind you and snikts you with his Wolverine claws.
And if this was not enough, he lies his fucking ass off to hide how much of a psychopathic cunt he really is.

I love the guy.

>getting into motion
I bet you got psi-AIDS, too.

>hating on psi aids
>not getting into motion
Hey zoner, do you even know what fun is?

Guys, biocorp is a real corp.

Yep, and that's amazing. Too bad we are still far from space age, so we will likely never get to witness their rise to glory.

>Inb4 some weirdo down the line decides to make that dream as close to a 1:1 reality as possible

Looks like shit, I want to play it.

>4
Does that matter?

Yes, and?

Finished Bastion right now twice.
Very nice game but some minor flaws that ticked me off. Did it matter at all if you rescue Zulf or keep the bullpillar? It both seemed liked predetermined victory or maybe the spirti combination of revenge and +15% defence just made it so easy.

>4
Eh, kinda sorta. The games are disjointed enough to not matter that much.
All 4 can be played on Kongregate if you really want to. The Steam version of 4 is just an enhanced version.

How essetnial is playing the first 3?

Ah, neat.

see

>some weirdo
Don't kid yourself, it will be one of us. Or someone from the Underrail forums, or Steam, or maybe even the Codex. That would be hilarious.

Styg is already aware of this possible event. He made this game to ensure that these things will happen when the time comes.

>mfw indie devs think making their own font is a good idea

It is a good idea. It makes the game more of your own just like creating your own sounds, OST and tileset.

Maybe if your game is low on words.

As your word count goes up, the more important it is to just have a good clean readable font (worth dropping pixel purism for).

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

>you can't make a readable and good looking font
As retarded as expected of fag posting with double linebreaks like he is on reddit.

What was your favourite indie game of 2016? Mine was the Witness. It was a giant sandbox of interesting iterative puzzles. I didn't care for the "narrative" of the game though.

Way back when Haven and Hearth 2 came out and went P2P, somebody was working on a legacy H&H private server (reusing the existing assets). Does anybody know if that was ever finished?

Well, pixel fonts are kinda assy for readability. Making smooth fonts is a lot bigger of a time drop and your end result will likely be worse than the far more refined options (made with a base of many years of typography knowledge) out there.

It's a tossup between Witness and Haydee.
Wuppo would also be a contender, but that has a Publisher.

Ittle Dew 2

thecatamites' Magic Wand.

*looks at the thread page*

dio we like pit people

SAME AS IT EVER WAS

I can't just use Times New Roman because it renders too sloppily for my pixel game

Pit People, while enjoyable, exemplifies a myriad of things wrong with the modern Gaming Industry.
>Lazy art and artistic direction
>Releasing unfinished games for money, a form of beta testing using public resources, but they pay you instead of the other way around
And in addition,
>Reusing Stamper as the narrator
It's alright.

What I do for my game is render the fonts and other graphics separately. Pixel art gets scaled up 1:1, and multiply the font's size by the same zoom.

Naturally, drawing a font at a low size/resolution and then upscaling everything is going to look assy.

"Lazy" art allows more time/resources to be dropped into devving interesting gameplay. I dunno about this case since I can't be assed to check videos, but such graphics also allow for far more interesting animations since the time to draw new frames is so low.

I think I finished the demo of Classic Game and I must say, after watching a video with notes regarding the game, that I really wish it was completed

honestly one of the personal favorites I have at the moment

I think I DID finish the demo. if somebody else played it, what are the white things that appear when u kill people/ghosts/tuskers? Is there a way to find the "wastelands" zone?

Well, something to consider is that Behemoth isn't a 1-5 man team where artists inevitably also work on game code. This is a 9 man team where everyone's roles are clearly defined.
The artist is just a lazy sack of shit who instead of doing a pile of classic hand-drawn animations like Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers, relies on overusing Tweening fucking everywhere.

Me too, one of the most exciting things I played last year.

>a video with notes regarding the game

Link?

youtube.com/watch?v=BUaOXPNroeM

Basically the whole game is there, so watch it after doing every single combo of events you can think of, I watched it after I thought I had done everything
>tfw managed to make the 40 mp+transfer skill before watching the vid
>tfw you can have Anew and Eliolate on your party?!

I wish the game was complete

Oh yeah, I remember this. Yeesh, man, it's a real project.

It'd be nice to see it finished, I guess, but I think what's there is great too. Just being in that world for a little while is enough.

I know, but after spending days in what there is which even as "little" it might seem I still think to myself "I want to know what happens to x character"

>tfw the Elder kills Anton
>tfw casting HERESY on the Monument
>tfw casting HERESY on the witch

I want to make a post about the demo on another page and maybe making some fanart. Even if making fanart of the game would be something really weird.

>tfw casting HERESY on the Monument
>tfw casting HERESY on the witch

Haven't tried these, what happens?

>fanart

Hope I don't get banned: Ëä@

pretty sure it's all scripted from that point on. If you want hard stuff, you do the Kid's Dream or Narrator Guy's Dream, then just pump idols until you're either dead or a god.

on the Monument you know its crowded with pilgrims, so I thought If I wanted to level up very quickly as taking the souls of them would be very profitable. When casting Heresy, a narration says you feel a malevolent force coming from the monument, knowing what u were going to do and proceeds to destroy you instantly. with change of music and all

On the witch's case she goes "seriously? is this a joke?" and insta kills you

it shouldnt, but your spoiler amuses me

Cool. Sounds like there's a lot I missed, I'm gonna play it again. Thanks.

try to get the jadestone ring and the pure femur for the Transfer skill and being able to cast Eyes, Dispel and Warmth without scrolls if you havent already

Although I wish yo could have both the pure femur and the lord's bell at the same time. its a pity because I really like the lord's bell item

I still don't understand what those things even are. Mudkip platypus?

ironic games by unironic transgenders

I can't think of any

There are a few m2f indie devs. See the works of moga, cicada marionette, ella guro, and kitty horrorshow.

They represent an ironic, irreverent wink-wink approach to game design, along with a 100% cast-iron no-irony approach to transgender stuff. I don't begrudge it but it's not entirely my thing either. I like all their games a lot.

I played a few kitty horrorshow games and I don't remember any trans stuff

I lost on purpose during this battle to see what would happen. It seems to be pretty hard to actually get a game over from losing a battle, although if you fail certain battles, you can't get the best ending. In this case, you lose out on the ability to conquer Mexico for Spain/ally with the ruling power to be a trading partner of Spain.

I have a thing for edgy lolis, so I'm a little disappointed she didn't actually kill my guy. All that talk about being happy to kill me for all the shit I pulled and she pussys out at the last second?

It's a very good game, but there are some issues with how they handle the followers.

There are certain "events" that can happen, which pick random characters in your party to use. For example, two of your followers can fall in love with one another. In my case, the girl was a pious nun, who one would not expect to openly have a relationship with someone. Another person reporting having an event where someone in your party was having a romantic tryst with one of the citizens, to the anger of the person's family. Of the random people it can pick, it can pick the girl you married earlier in the game.

The game has two characters you can recruit, one loyal to the Aztecs, one anti-Aztec, and they will leave your party if you support the side they don't. However, they don't have any issue with you supporting the side they like and THEN killing the leader of the winning side so you can conquer the land for Spain.

Despite these problems, the event system is a cool one, and I hope they refine and improve it for their next game.

I'm sure it'll go on sale sooner or later.

/indie/ is like an anime character, it wouldn't die even if you killed it.

>Not Vivian from JKK

gettys

what?

Holy shit, ConcernedApe made that game by himself? I thought he'd had help for the art or the music, or anything. The idea that a single person did all of this by himself... It's absurd.

Why aren't studios all going after him? Considering the success of Stardew Valley, you'd think a bunch of people would want the golden goose.

>unironic transgenders
But that's an oxymoron.

Quick, tell me of all the bugs in the new Underrail patch!

Snipers occasionally miss you.

How horrible. It must be fixed at once!

Being able to power through your own shit doesn't really translate into being able to work well with others.

Also his game is largely just "Harvest Moon but for PC" which doesn't really say much about his game design abilities.

When it comes to surreal games, how far are you willing to go?
There are stuff like Revenge of the Sunfish, which while absurd, still have sort of logic behind them.
And then there are games like Steward HK Lar Lover's games which are fever dreams in game form made by an actual lunatic.

I like it when they transition. If you don't have a sane base to ground you, it just feels like random crap.

Off and End Roll were neat, but then I played Hylics was just all random/surreal all the time and it was just unbearable.

Dunno of too many other examples, so maybe it can be done well and I'm just a dumb jerk.

Creeping Death status effect was incorrectly applying every 30 seconds. Now it's every 10 seconds as originally intended.

???

B-but it applies every 5 seconds normally, every 15s with echoing soliloquy.

Fishbuns are derpy looking platypus but they evolved into a lot of forms since their first sighting.

He did work many years on it though.

For what purpose?

Yes.

About to start Underrail and was trying to decide on a starting build, was hoping someone could give me some advice.

So far I've got -
7 Dex, 7 Perception, 10 Will, 7 Intelligence

Feats: Snooping (with the 7 perception to be able to find all secrets), Undecided on the second feat

Skills: 15 Hacking/Lockpicking/Thought Control/Psychokinesis/Metahermics/Persuasion, Undecided on last two skills

General idea was a pure Psy build with the ability to find secrets and lockpick/hack.

For the remaining two skills I kind of wanted to go Traps or Biology or Tailoring but wasn't sure how good they are/if I need dodge and evasion for this kind of build, I was considering Pack Rathound or Paranoia for the last feat

youtube.com/watch?v=5urvuyk3cVo

[Persuade] In that case, I have a huuuge list of bugs. My list is very huge, very huge indeed, yes. But I will not let you see it, no. Jelly, huh?

Cometh standing rathound garbage. Train is.

7 Perception just for the sake of finding secrets is a bit of a luxury, they are rarely good enough to be worth it. Although it will give you decent detection, which is not a bad thing. Snooping though I can't really justify, unless you are hell bent on truly finding every secret on your own. You can temporarily add +3 to your Perception any time once you have access to Junkyard Surprise and Adaptive Goggles.

That being said, you are psi. You can afford basically any luxuries you want as long as your Will is high, your skills are maxed, and your spellbook is full.

You don't necessarily need Dodge and Evasion, but you do need some form of defense. Stealth to strike first, Electronics to craft a good shield, Mechanics to craft a good armor (although you dumped Con, so I don't think this is what you want), Tailoring to get Dodge/Evasion/Stealth bonus, high Agi and Sprint for hit and run tactics, and so on. The possibilities while not endless, are many, and you can go for any of these, or a combination of them.

Traps are great. Biology and how much you need of it depends on your build and whether you are Tranquility or Psychosis. Tailoring is pure gold.

>"Traps are great."
- /indie/, 2017

My list at the moment picks up some of the things you said, I read you don't actually need to "max" every skill to get most of the effect out of it.

I'll drop snooping too if I can just raise it later with other items and go back for the secrets so currently my build looks like this:

Dex 7, Per 7, Will 10, Int 7

15 Hacking/Lockpicking/Biology/Thought Control/Psychokinesis/Metathermics
10 Electronics/Tailoring/Persuasion

Feats: Doctor

I was mainly interested in traps for the detection/disarming, I'm not interested in using traps at all

How does it seem to you now? And any recommendations on another feat? Can I save the feat point and pick something later?

Thanks user too

opinions on end roll? is it worth playing?

Nah, you can't save the feat point. Even if you put off leveling up until you hit another level, you will have to do the two level ups in order. So no cheating the system.

If you wanted traps just for detection/disarming, you don't need the skill. Your Perception will be enough to notice them, after that you can either just not walk into them (your character will automatically walk around visible traps, unless there is no other way to proceed to where he has to go) or for some traps blow them up. You can always rely on good old Fireball to remove unwanted traps that can be blown up.

I'm still not sure about that Biology, especially in the maxed tier. What do you need it for? Focus Stim (50) and Trance are essential if you are Psychosis, but you'll hit the required 70 by at worst level 10, and they are mostly useless for Tranquility. Psi Reinvigorator (60) is good, but depending on your choices you might not find much use for it. Adrenaline, Morphine, Psi Boosters and hypos are plentiful even without crafting. Jumping Bean you can get for 35, Bullhead, Irongut, Aegis are luxury that can be very situationally useful. Regenerative and Supersoldier are fantastic... but do you really need them?

You'll hit the soft cap with Hacking by at worst level 19, with Lockpicking by around level 16.

The big question is still whether you are Tranq or Psycho.

This is going to be my first playthrough so honestly I'm not entirely sure, being able to make healing items and "extract useful substances" from monsters sounded useful to me and it let me unlock a feat that actually sounded decent for the start because none of the others stand out to me at the moment.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by Tranq or Psycho but i'll guess you mean either the "Tranquility" or "Psychosis" feats. Psychosis doesn't appeal to me if it's going to create psi cost management noticeably harder with consumables.

What would you suggest I tweak in my build?

Well, I don't want to talk you out of Biology or anything, but as Tranquility, and someone who picked Persuasion I'm just guessing you won't get much out of high investment.

Still, nothing wrong with starting with 15 in it, and putting some more points into it later. Good for emergency. And anyway, you can decide for yourself whether you want to continue investing in it later. And again, you can afford luxuries.

I'm not really sure how to tweak it. Tranquility psi is one of those builds that just werks as long as you know how to protect yourself, and for the most part Electronics/Tailoring is going to take care of that. Personally I like moderate Agi for Sprint and some D/E (say 50/80, and then Infused Siphoner armor to make it useful, and Black Cloth+Padding and tabis for Stealth) on my Tranq psis, but it's just a personal preference.

So, I don't know. Go with what sounds good to you. And never forget that Adrenaline and Morphine are your friends.

A good trap playthrough do ya good.