Planning on buying a 2014 audi s5 w/ 50-55k miles for 30-35k. Is this a good idea...

Planning on buying a 2014 audi s5 w/ 50-55k miles for 30-35k. Is this a good idea? What other DD can i get around this price that has AWD and over 300 hp?

Don't really like the look of subarus

hope you're ready to pay a very high price for repairs or attempt repairs then have it taken to a shop and pay a very high price for repairs.
There are no other cars with AWD and over 300 HP. Just none.

What are we talking for price of maintenance?

Am I just better off buying a new mustang and then getting a beater for winter?

This is going to sound flippant, but if you have to ask you can't afford it. Look, it's a meme that Audi's break any more readily than any other car, but quality German cars mean quality German parts and labor isn't cheap - and that's for a normal Audi, an A4 or something. Add all the high performance parts that make up the S and you're going to be paying several K a year on maintenance, and that's IF nothing major breaks.

So if your plan is to spend $35K and HOPE nothing breaks, then yeah, you should buy a Mustang. Any crack-addled corner mechanic can fix those with Autozone parts.

dont listen to him hes just a bitter poorfag. if you can properly afford a 35k car youll be fine on maintenance. the s5 isnt even unreliable.

Don't try to shove perfume up his ass.

I took my Audi into the indy shop a couple weeks ago for a DRL out. Easy fix right, $15 bulb and $50 labor, out the door? Nope - it's an Audi, so every time they put in a new lamp it burned out...replace the socket, it fails...turns out the wiring inside the headlamp unit itself is fried, need to replace the entire unit to the tune over $860, not including labor.

Suffice to say I'm rolling without a DRL for a while. German cars, they ain't cheap.

shouldve done it yourself. i have an a4 and know its more expensive to own than other cars. its worth it though

MK7 Golf R, basically an S3 but VW badge, easily 360hp with basic mods and 380TQ

with worse awd. the s5 has real awd while the s3 has haldex.
ultimately it doesnt matter but it is something to think about before purchasing

I don't disagree, I don't regret buying one at all, I just want OP to know they are not your average '97 Civic on repair costs.

BTW,
>shouldve done it yourself
What part of *IT'S AN $860 PART* did you not understand? Doing it myself wasn't going to save me much.

i know it wouldve taken longer but you couldve bought the housing/ballasts for cheaper from 2nd hand sources.

Yeah maybe. In any case I work so much I don't have much time to futz around in the garage. Plus just looking at the video of replacing the assembly gave me hives, just getting at the housing is about 50 pieces of plastic, 300 bolts and the skills of a F1 mechanic.

>buy one cheap ebay headlight
>still have one OEM headlight
>now the front of your car looks all fucked up with googly eye headlights

you don't need awd. An infiniti g37 is a funner car.

mate just get a 2010 c63 with like 50k miles for $25k

>What other DD can i get around this price that has AWD and over 300 hp?
AWD 335?

I had a a3 and now own a rs5. The a3 got me hooked into Audi and now I'm pretty deep obviously.

You will love the s5 and AWD. I recommend getting the car with Audi care included so you don't pay any of its service and a CPO so it gets more extended coverage for free if you can.

I haven't had to buy any parts for anything that has broke so can't comment on that.

my dad had a 2010 (V8) S5 until last November. It's definitely not a track car but the torquey V8 and nice interior made it amazing for highway cruising. I've never driven one of the newer supercharged S4/S5's but I assume it hasn't changed a massive amount in the last few years.

The car was actually pretty reliable until it hit around 120k miles, at which point it had a whole series of super expensive (close to $10k in total) engine and suspension issues. If I were buying a used S5 today I would definitely sell before 100k miles before the value drops too much and the technical issues start mounting.

The car is pretty heavy, and you can definitely feel it. Even similar cars with less power like the 335i and G37 feel quite a bit faster, but the grip level is pretty insane. If you're set on the car I don't think it's a bad choice, just dont make the mistake of holding on to it forever and getting stuck with massive repair bills like my dad did.

>funner

335 with a tune. Will run circles around the S5 with similar maintenance cost.

3 3 5 x i

Chrysler 300 has AWD on a lot of their trims.

Even if the reliability memes were true for this particular FCA product it'll be cheaper and easier to fix than anything German. If anecdotes mean anything, I know 4 separate people with varying years of AWD 300s and they've needed only the regular maintenance stuff.

They are COMFY AS FUCK and share a lot of parts with other cars and engines so aftermarket is OK if mods are your thing. Higher trims are also full of leather and gadgets and all the other garbage that people think makes a car "luxury".

Plus, a used one likely comes with a small drug ring you can manage. Make your money back over the weekend. If it does come with your own cartel, make sure to have a mechanic inspect it because dindoos like to thrash on those things. You'll either get an asshat who wanted the cheap power/rims, or an older person who wanted a cheap Mercedes. You want the dumb older person to buy a 300 from.

G37x is AWD too fucking dingus

Taurus sho
Awd 370 hp 350 ft lbs of torque.
Would kno I own one

Gtfo here with that shit.

Yea but it adds weight and unnecessary complexity.

You asked for over 300 hp and awd. Both these cars offer it and both are more reliable than a audi

Not anymore dick weed.

Even if one he would be looking at was old enough to be an xi, he would have to be fucking retarded to not know the difference.

Fuck yourself you pathetic moron.

not OP