What is Veeky Forums's take on electric cars?

What is Veeky Forums's take on electric cars?

I'm waiting until they can get 400 miles per charge before I consider one, but they have me interested.

I only care about function though, form in no way matters to me.

It's an easy way to tell people that you are better than them.

A gimmick for upper middle class suburbians.

You are not saving the world by driving an electric car

You are not saving money by driving an electric car

You are just gimping yourself to never be able to leave a 150 mile radius of your house without waiting 30mins-12 hours ever time you need to charge.

>Tfw the only full EV with decent range still only gets 215 miles per charge
>Tfw there's only 2 supercharge stations anywhere near me
>Tfw it's a Tesla S or some shit that costs $70,000

>150 mile radius of your house without waiting 30mins-12 hours ever time you need to charge.

Tesla already says they can do 400 miles per charge, it'll be their next vehicle.

Chevy Bolt 2017 gets upto 238 MPC

If you drive like a granny sure. Dosent negate the fact that you bought a 70k+ (more like 100k for the 400 mile range) car that doesnt have any real benefits over a traditional ICE.

Chevy is competing heavily with Tesla in lower price ranges.

400MPC for under $35k by 2019 for sure.

You are polluting less with an electric car.

I'm seriously considering a used Leaf SL for a DD and grocery hauler.
>value tanked so it's cheap as shit
>live near the city so traveling isn't too far
>looks ugly so don't have to care about it

>not saving money
Since i got a leaf i pay 1€ for 100 miles

how much did you pay for it?

And where does that wonderful electricity come from, exactly?

I am all for being "green" and environmentally friendly but research has shown that electric cars do not pollute any less than traditional petrol/diesel powered cars when you factor in the production and manufacturing of the necessary electricity. So there is really no point other than finding a new marketing angle to sucker in consumers

how does the negate my point, moron?

Well if you're like me, you have solar panels on your roof, and your power comes from natural gas, not coal.

And if Trump weren't president, we'd be moving away from coal more too

false.

>Tesla S or some shit that costs $70,000

Technically it cost the purchaser more than that due to taxpayer subsidies, taxpayer credits, and Tesla sells CAFE credits for each car. Of course, the customer doesn't get any share of the CAFE credits he created since Tesla keeps them all. And those who didn't buy a Tesla paid for a small fraction of it due to the subsidies.

economics of scale you ding dong

None of my electricity comes from coal. Vast majority is from hydropower and some from natural gas fired steam turbines.

Not saying coal plants are great or anything, but the vast majority of that in the picture is steam from the three cooling towers. Only the stack on the left would be emitting any combustion gasses and even what you see out of it is condensation vapor.

I'm waiting for home fast charging equipment to be bundled with the car.