I'm going to get a 3rd gen camaro. However, having rode in a couple different ones...

I'm going to get a 3rd gen camaro. However, having rode in a couple different ones, I am keenly aware it is not a very comfortable ride. In what ways could this be improved?

Other urls found in this thread:

autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=408149902
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Typically shocks and springs

I was hoping for a more detailed rundown, possibly with specific part recommendations from Veeky Forums approved makers, but I do appreciate your reply.

If youve got the money and have serious plans for the car, a company called Heidts makes an IRS for the 3rd gens

I don't know too much about Third Gen F-Body's, but just basic suspension points to the spring rate and the dampening level of the shock/strut, also tires matter as well, can't tell specifics and I don't know if it will work, but Koni Yellows are always clamored about

Mine's super comfy, I don't get why anyone would think otherwise. Maybe theirs didn't have the upgraded interior? Probably helps that it's got 60 profile tires too, most people throw on big ass rimz with 45 or lower.

>not an IROC-Z

Why though?

That's beautiful.

It's pretty much all suspension and tires. Touring tires are not noisy, good for all seasons and last a long time. I've heard good things about replacing bushings. That rubber is over 30 years old, new bushings help a lot more than you think. Then new shocks should help too.

Mines comfy af but maybe because it's fully loaded with all the options

Because it's been in the family since it was ordered new, and has a manual transmission with rear discs, no t-tops, and an amazing paint job? The iroc-z package only adds different stripes, wheels, stiffer springs, slightly larger sway bars, a wonderbar, and fog lights anyway. Nothing I can't add myself and there are better suspension options nowadays anyway.

Thanks!

Grand sports are the cruising model so it should be comfy

>keep waiting for a turd gen to pop up with manual
>never happens, or is $20k+

for what purpose

I wonder how hard it is to manual swap.

You'd have to swap something because they only made manuals with 305s or smaller so you'd have fuck all for power

In what world do you live where turd gens are 20k

20k? Try 3500

Not him, but: autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=408149902

Yeah but that's some asshole who thinks his barely-driven car is worth a ton.

Get one with 150k already on the clock like everybody else and you'll get a far more livable price.

I think the original point was that manual transmissions were rare and were extremely overpriced. Not that all turd gens cost $20k.

I had an 89 RS 5.0L, It was automatic but it was pretty quick with a nice port job. That car handles like shit though no matter what you do

That looks very clean

OK. Here's the deal with Third gens. Buy one out of the box with a 350. That's going to be either an IROC-Z or a Trans Am GTA

Why? Well, you'll get a better suspension, and you'll get better cooling. If you try to put power into a Third Gen that didn't start life as a V8, you'll never, ever get that fucker to cool. Trust me, I've been there.

Also, the T-5's are garbage. So garbage, they couldn't even handle the power of a stock 350. That's why they never came in a 350 equipped car. They'd grenade themselves. And yup, I've done it.

In my Camaro, which had a T-5, I broke the clutch. Put a Zoom in it, broke that one. Got sick of changing clutches every 500 miles, put a TH700R4 in it. Broke the sprag. Put a TH350 in it, never had another problem.

BUT.

A TH350 isn't the answer if you want to turn even 1 degree left or right. Because of the torque arm rear suspension, when you put a transmission that's not specifically built for an F-body in there, it totally fucks the handling.

As far as a soft ride. You're talking about a 30 year old GM sports car. The fucking thing is going to rattle you to death, plus it's going to creak and moan with every pebble in the road.

Subframe connectors will help here big time. They are damned near a requirement, even on a stock car. That should be the very first upgrade you do, even if you don't plan on doing anything else.