Just bought this 85 Crown Vic with 120k on it for a grand. It seems to run alright for the time being

Just bought this 85 Crown Vic with 120k on it for a grand. It seems to run alright for the time being.

Did I fuck up? What can I expect to go wrong?

looks sretty praight

What'd you pay for it? Is the interior alright? What's wrong with it/missing/could use work? Nice car, though, OP, I love me an old Panther.

>a grand

Sounds like you did pretty good. I've got a 99, I don't know much about yours but I've read they're pretty tough. Enjoy it.

Not bad at all, user.

Did pretty good then. If it's not already fucked up, don't fuck it up. Keep it from rusting away and it'll be worth something someday.

Holy shit, okay you did very good. Interior looks spotless from that picture.

i envy you
>tfw there are no crown vics for a grand in europe

My first car was an 89 LTD with the 5.slow in it. Really solid car, very comfortable. Hard to park, bad gas mileage. Have fun

Nice. Now build a 351w she have a bitching sleeper

For a grand, especially if it's running good, then you did ok. It'll definitely last long enough to get your monies worth out of it.

Looks OK. Treat it gently until you know it's solid

5 digit odometer, probably 220k.

Hey user, welcome to the Panther club. You'll find that if you treat your car well, it'll do the same for you, especially with these old boats.

Anyway, I want to share a personal experience with you on something that burned me with my Panther in hopes that it won't do it to you. On these cars there is a plastic grommet on the throttle valve lever which holds the throttle valve cable in place. Given the age of the car and how plastic becomes brittle and warped from the heat of the engine, mine eventually disintegrated, killing my transmission (there was a strong burning smell and my car wouldn't upshift). To make a long story short, I had to get a brand new AOD tranny (which I got lucky because I knew a guy who ran a tranny shop and got me a new one for less than a grand) but if I had replaced that plastic bit with a metal one (for 5 dollars) I would not have had to dish out a couple hundred.

The point being, go check that plastic grommet and get a metal replacement part for it. It will end up saving you a hefty repair cost if/when the stock one breaks.

I hope this story is one you'll never have to go through, so please check it ASAP. Other than that, these cars are great cruisers and you'll love the ride for years to come.

>Pic Related, my Panther

As an 85 it'll have CFI instead of port fuel injection and that means a throttle valve rod as opposed to a cable but it still has that same shitty nylon bushing.

Pic related. It's the rod with the nylon bushing

So jealous op, prepare for a comfy ride unless you discover something horribly wrong with it.

Is this only a thing on the box body Panthers or is it a failure point on the 4.6 powered ones as well?

What the fuck is it with Panther? Panther club, panther frame, panther model, panther chassis blah blah blah.
It's Ford crap. Period. Sticking the name panther on it changes nothing.

btfo

Thanks for sharing that tidbit; didn't know that.

Not sure, gonna need to research it a bit.

85's have shit tier CFI, should have gotten a 86+, SEFI is loads better and more mod friendly.

If that's the car in question, looks like a supper base model slick top, doesn't even have bumper stirpping and looks like 14's.

kys

Because Panther is the name of the platform the cars ride on. Saying 'Panther body' is a lot easier than saying "1979 to 2011 Ford LTD/Crown Victoria/Country Squire/Police Interceptor, Mercury Grand Marquis/Colony Park/Marauder, Lincoln Town Car/Continental Mark VI."

It's no different than saying F-body or Foxbody or Alpha platform or X-frame or etc etc etc.

>he doesn't own a fleet of shitty box panthers
Kys bus rider

top lel

>animal_cruelty.jpg

(you)

Been thinking about buying one to replace my daily driver - and to also make into a Bluesmobile, to go with my friends' pair of 1974 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobiles.

Reminding me of my current fetish for box Caprices. I'm gonna try to buy one with my tax return and nig it the fuck out.

please don't nig it out

this

pls get back to us with that.

2003 4.6 here.

I imagine they might not, because the 4.6 Panthers used the Modular Engine introduced in 1991, the older LTD's used the Windsor. Im not sure about that problem on the modular

Why not? They're literally everywhere, and not very desirable. Not to mention that rims and subwoofers aren't permanent.

heres mine. 1982 ford ltd CV. its carb'd. but i believe it originally had a feedback carb. bought it back in december for $300. saved it from the nigs. had a bunch or really shitty work done to it. it was missing the throttle valve rod altogether and the bracket on the trans was wired in place lel.

'82 ltd guy here. its running well now. now has 78 mercury zephyr hubcaps. b/c 14s, and the wirewheel ones were mismatch

I guess I see them more special becouse I'm european than you americans