/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more

/sthg/ #653 - Matchmaker Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/DevelopmentsRecent and Upcoming Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u37jvd3bP-k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This OP is disgustingly bloated and needs to be seriously trimmed down

Last thread: Also, remember to report & ignore shitposters, instead of falling for their bait.

But diversity is good. Honestly the comic would need more writers. Nobody should stay on the book for more than maybe a year

Why is there no option to ship male characters with other male characters?

Cmon Archie, it's 2017!

Will do next thread.

Also previous thread because op missed it

That's like, the number 1 reason I and many others hate comics. "Runs" based comics are the worst.

Don't worry, I did it

>term limits argument
Maybe.

Sonic characters aren't gay

>Hey, kids - show us who you matched!
I wonder how much angry shipper fanmail they read after publishing that.

user, don't. That's a shitposter, just ignore.

Oh right, sorry, phone posting is so slow

The reason we were able to have the deep lore and writing that built up in little references that you only caught when the thing finally happened is because Ian could spend years building it up.

You can't have that when the writer changes every year. Honestly, if that happened, the Comic would become just another, ordinary comic. It would lose one of the main facets that makes it great.

>Sonic characters aren't gay
Fucking Kek

It'd keep things fresh and prevent stagnation

The comic hasnt been interesting since the reboot happened

There's not enough princesses that dress like actual princesses in the Sonic world.

Anyways to prevent this thread from falling into even more of the same arguments, are there any drawfags still here?

Exactly, so why not get a team of new writers and cycle them out on a regular basis?

I hate to break it to you, but Sonic is an ordinary comic. It's reached the dizzying heights of basic competency. It's "deep lore" is twenty year old sidescrollers.

>that triggered someone
Makes me chuckle. A little salty I couldn't connect Sonic and Blaze.

I actually think this is one of the smaller OPs we've had

A) yes it has. The hype levels have been in small doses and spread out, but I suppose I enjoy potential more than you do. There's a ton of moments that have the potential for greatness down the line (because he was character building) But there's already been payoff issues, like panic in the skies.

B) It's been building a world for 3 and half years. Ian had 15 years of lore to pull from in pre-reboot which he doesn't have now. He had to cobble together something coherent, and that's going to take time. We're through that now, and it's already picking up. My bet is that we're building to something related to Ixis which has been building since the Shadow/Knuckles arc.

Post some Bump/Sage, pls.

This, still loved the cover though.

CUTE
U
T
E

>My bet is that we were building to something related to Ixis which had been building since the Shadow/Knuckles arc.
FTFY
Exactly, so there's no reason it can't be treated like a Marvel/DC comic and have changing creative teams every couple years

youtube.com/watch?v=u37jvd3bP-k

>that spoiler
Good taste detected

Oh yes, Hail Hydra Cap is exactly the type of character building we need.

Consistency over time makes characters good. Get rid of that, and you just have a mediocre advert for the Sonic games.

Hey, it'd be something different. Consistency creates stagnation and complacency

On the bright-side, you can connect Sonic with Amy to get the better pairing.

>Opinions are shitposts
Holy fuck.

One year is a bit extreme, but rotating writers is generally a good thing. Look at Ian's output; like half of it is mediocre because he's worjng month to month for a DECADE on one property that isn't even his. Rotation allows writers to take a step back from a project and rethink things and better focus their ideas.

Good joke. I love it when /sthg/ makes me laugh.

Sally has the best expressions.

Good writing makes good characters. Ian isn't the only person capable of good writing.

>muh opinions

I don't give a shit what opinion you have, mate.

Considering the reliance on long term payoff over individual story merit is probably Ian's biggest problem as a writer, you're just selling me on this.

All of his best stories are short and may as well be self contained while his stinkers tend to drag and prop themselves up on continuity.

But he didn't have a problem before. Most of the complaints since the reboot have to do with the fact that he's building a world. I mean, how much actual character development have any characters had besides maybe Cassia and Clove and the games cast? One arc at best? He has a whole world to draw from, and it'll take time before that whole world is built upon.

Hell, his Ixis thing was referenced 2-3 years ago, a year ago, and again now, and it's only STARTING to make sense.

SAL HAS THE POWEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRR!

Not a joke, when it's true user.

But that's what I love about his stuff. And if you get rid of that, he's just another comic book writer.

And I guess this is where we're talking past each other/where our opinions lie. What you think is his biggest problem is why I love the comics.

Rotating works too but I meant getting entirely new writers every couple years or so
Exactly. Who knows, maybe someone could take these characters in a new direction nobody expected
Yeah but building that up takes too long, we need shorter, simpler things, and a rotating team of writers could basically make simpler, easier to digest and understand stories and concepts
See If we had new writers we wouldn't have to worry about reliance on continuity since everyone just does their own thing and if it falls into place well that's just a happy little coincidence

Now its becoming a bad joke.

No one's joking. I like Blaze & I like Sonic, but Sonic/Amy is better.

Because world building by itself is fucking boring. It should be a consequence of the stories and characters you're writing. Not at the forefront.

>But he didn't have a problem before.
Yes he did.

He has always been like this. His first forty issues were like this, Iron Dominion was like this, King Naugus/Mecha Sally was like this, Unleashed was like this. He keeps making large arcs that rely on long term payoff with little gems sprinkled between multiple issues of continuity and lore faffery. That has ALWAYS been him.

Exactly. Besides, it's Sonic, it doesn't really need it. It could be better off with a bunch of self contained low stakes stories, which other writers could provide
And this is why we need to replace him (If the comic isn't cancelled) and why readers dropped off, it dragged it's feet

Enough. Agree to disagree.

Vague long term planning is something all comic writers do. Stan Lee was doing that.

But when you have to start from scratch, you need to build the world out.

One of the biggest problems with other comic writers and the rotation idea is that there constantly has to be half-assed world building and is never satisfactory and creates giant plot holes. With the way it's being down now, you do it once, and it's good forever.

I think it's also relevent to mention that my favorite moments pre-reboot are when he pulls from old lore to fix and finish things. Like Dark Enerjak, or the Knux/Finitivus fight, or anything to do with the Destructrix and their backstory.

It's not at the forefront though, it's just fucking there. Angel Island just so happens to have some ancient computer room, Dark Gaia got confused for Ixus, and the Chaotix found an ancient temple of doom. That lasts for a couple panels before Shadow and Knuckles beat up one of the Black Arms, Eggman and his Egg Bosses fight the Nagus twins, and the Chaotix double cross pirates.

In the current comic industry when you have yearlong runs? All-star superman ruined the shit out of that. Everyone wants to recapture that fire, and every cape worth a shit is given to any upstart writer that becomes popular for a second.

I sub (I was actually planning to renew recently) and I haven't been sent anything. The last time a comic was cancelled (MM) they just pushed my remaining issues onto StH

>But that's what I love about his stuff. And if you get rid of that, he's just another comic book writer.
...You realize that's the norm, not the exception, right? Most writers do the exact same thing he does, they just get fewer issues to do it in because there's more competition for a Marvel book than Sonic.

Like, look at Yost's Scarlet Spider or Snyder's Batman.

Honestly having short stories is better than long drawn out epics

And I fucking liked all of that. The only thing that went on too long was King Naugus, and that was because of legal chicanery that was happening in the background.

This is why I enjoy Universe more.

Yeah, see This is why this is the only comic book I read these days.

The whole comic should be like that, but even more self contained and with changing creative teams

The fuck are you talking about? Standalones are way, way rarer than continuity wank.

>Hey, kids- show us who you matched!
>Hey, kids
>kids

>The Unleashed arc lasted 4 Years
>get an extra 4 months for Classic stories even though Mega Drive exists
>Likely getting canceled by the time the comic starts to have it's small arcs.

There's a line between fresh and unripe.

What are you talking about? Yearlong runs aren't an industry wide thing. Dan Slott has been writing Spider-Man for ten years. Same as a bunch of other writer/character pairings.

Hell, ten years ago Ian was an upstart writer who got Sonic because fans liked him. Saying no one else gets to write Sonic now is nuts.

Thankfully the idea doesn't cross that line
>Yearlong runs aren't an industry wide thing.
Well they should be. You get your 12 issues and then off you go

But that's nonsense. Dan Slott's been on Spider-Man nearly as long as Ian's been on Sonic. Bendis made his own fucking Spider-Man UNIVERSE. Geoff Johns got to completely redefine Green Lantern.

The only real difference is a lot of the successful runs last like 40 issues instead of 100, but they're generally doing more per issue. You're claiming Ian is an abberation when he isn't really any different than your standard lead writer on a series.

No, you don't. You don't immediately have to establish dozens of new characters. You have all the time in the world to do that...unless you get cancelled.

>Using the Slott example right after a different poster.
Damn, now I look stupid.

Not sure I agree.

I like Universe because it tends to show what other characters are doing in the midst of all the big shit in the main comic. I like the idea of finding out what's going on in the background.
It also gives space for other characters to show up outside of Sonic and the FF's (for the most part anyway, I'm not too fond of the newer ones being about them but whatever).

I feel like the main comic needs to be the way it is for Universe to work - and the alternative of just having a single comic which is like Universe would be underwhelming.

But those are exceptions, too. And you're right, I do like Slott's work (though I hate Bendis for many reasons) more than others.

And that's without mentioning the ones who have been writing the same character for decades because they own them.

They're not exceptions because there isn't a standard for how long the same writer stays on a book. It always varies.

>The last time a comic was cancelled (MM) they just pushed my remaining issues onto StH
Looking around it seems like a common thing to push a subscription onto a relevant comic after cancellation.

Though considering Archie doesn't have any 'relevant' comics to Sonic, it'd be funny if they tried to push you onto Jughead or something.

I think we should agree that Sonic should be like Paper Mario Sticker Star.

Problem is when stories are based more on "building lore" instead of being entertaining stories.

Look at Waves of Change or Dulcy and Lupe's intros. The stories themselves are weak because the focus is introducing the characters and "muh worldbuilding" rather than introducing these things as part of a strong story. It's the same problem Mega Man had where there were several issues of "Hi, I'm XXX Man. Ow, I'm dead!"

Those are examples of it being done well. See above for examples of it being bad.

enchilada harem pls

>it'd be funny if they tried to push you onto Jughead or something.

Those are going straight into the shredder if that happens.

Some people got that when Mega Man and Boom were cancelled, no joke.

Exactly. Honestly the comic doesn't need worldbuilding, as Sonic's always worked better with short self contained stuff, and that could be done with changing creative teams yearly

It should be like`another M&L crossover

I want to control Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Tails at the same time while having the M&L gameplay and boss battles

He's going to have to repopulate his species somehow.

I prefer to be like Paper Jam but instead of Paper Mario it's Sonic

It will be Archie or Jughead. They're the only ongoings they have for the same price as Sonic that are kid-friendly.

Why can you guys only think in extremes? You can have Ian and new writers. In fact we already do. Aleah, Tracy, and Evan have written at least one arc themselves and the lore was kept intact. Just keep Ian as head writer and you can get all the terrible writers to your heart's content.

Paper Jam was fucking sterile
Give me Mario and Luigi go to Mobius/Sonic's World and team up with Sonic and Tails to fight Eggman and Bowser

And have THUNDAH as a secret boss battle

Because the current direction isn't amazing, and it's really bloated, so we need a radical change

But Paper Jam was shit

I'd kill for another Drawfag Thursday to happen.

Are you really that scared of an Ian-less Sonic comic?

Think we'll hit #700 by the time Mania comes out?

You rang?

It wasnt a bad game
Just the worst Mario and Luigi game

Please save the thread with cute. I nominate Sticks, Marine, or Pirate Sally.

yo