I'm trying to buy myself a new car but cannot for the fucking life of me decide...

I'm trying to buy myself a new car but cannot for the fucking life of me decide, I didn't really want to ask Veeky Forums 'which car iz gud' because the sticky addresses that. But I wanted something specific.

I made a short-list of cars I could see myself driving, essentially it's just anything RWD and Manual that'll go faster than your average boat anchor. The Corolla is an engine swap, the Cressida a manual conversion and engine swap, the F150 just because I have a soft spot for a big murrican truck, could also be a Silverado or something as well really. The European cars are their for fun, I'm willing to eat maintenance costs, plus I think the Z4 is reliable, not sure on the Boxster though.

I even made a poll because I'm sick of tearing my hair out trying to choose. Thanks in advance Veeky Forums, you're my final hope before I just cave and buy a Civic.

strawpoll.me/12228851

Other urls found in this thread:

gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lesmurdie/cars-vans-utes/1986-toyota-cressida-1jz-vvti/1137476457
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1. how much experience do you have working on cars

2. how much do you think you would be able to work on said car

3. where do you live, and in what conditions will you have to drive this car.

>I think the Z4 is reliable, not sure on the Boxster though
Porsches are reliable as hell as far as sports cars go, as long as you make sure the IMS bearing has been replaced.

>Disclaimer
I read none of what you posted.
Answer:
Honda S2000
Source:
Have driven

flip slide to that is if guy has to drive during winter.

you do not drive a S2000 during winter.

I enjoy wrenching and can follow a manual for repairs no problems, and have friends that'd be more than willing to help. I'll be able to work on it whenever I get the opportunity, as I said I do enjoy wrenching, but my current DD doesn't exactly give me those opportunities to do so. I live in a semi-rural country area it's either dry as a bone, or raining daily, never snows or anything of the sort.

Great to know, I'm kind of spooked by 'European reliability', but I'm willing to deal with it if it's only the maintenance that's a bit more pricey.

The S2000 does looks really really fun, and is a very nice looking car to boot right down to the standard wheels.

Why an FC RX-7 instead of an FD?

Way cheaper, and arguably more reliable

Depends where you live. If there's snow on the road more than 1-3 days a year and you live more than a short drive from work i'd definitely agree about not driving it in winter.

FC is more reliable and like 1/4th to 1/5th the price.

>engine swap
>on a new car

No thanks

dont buy a miata, its shit compared to any of the others due to the fact it comes with the social stigmata

>insecurity
The post

>It comes with a social stigma
That really depends on your social situation so the OP would have to verify that for himself.

>Reliability in a 986
Google "Common 986 problems" and try and find the costs of parts for those problems. You'll quickly turn off the idea of buying one. They aren't bad cars when they work, but they rarely work properly unless you throw money at them. They're also significantly more expensive to buy than an s2000.

>sees strawpoll

oh fuck yeah get a 968...it isn't a boxster tho

>968
It's even more expensive than the boxster and potentially even more costly.

It's not really a competitor to those other cars.

>Potentially even more costly

To maintain that is, the CAPEX is definitely higher.

well it's definitely the best of the bunch

I'll still have my old car to commute in while I swap the 'new' one, I don't particularly wanna drive around a stock rolla engine or an automatic 7M if I can help it.

The social stigma for them nowadays is more JDM hellatyte, now thanks to Mighty Meme Mods, but I know what you mean.

Typo in the poll sorry, in the image it's 986. Also Poxster.

Another question in regards to the Euro cars, is it much money if your car is your primary and only hobby? Is that makes any sense. Like is it moneypit bad, or just really fucking pricey when you do have to fix things?

Maybe he should just get a 458 italia?

>Google "Common 986 problems" and try and find the costs of parts for those problems
I'll save him the effort and I'll sum it up with what I learned researching them.

IMS. Intermediate shaft bearing. Replace it. $3k or less. Might as well do the clutch with it. Every other problem is secondary in prevalence and cost. The 986, like all modern Porsches, are very reliable. but parts are expensive as fuck.

Expect to have a realistic maintenance budget of $3k the first year, and $1k for every year of ownership after that.

>They're also significantly more expensive to buy than an s2000.
This isn't true at all if you're talking about the US. S2k's are between $7k and $23k but Boxsters can be had between $4k and $12k depending on condition and mileage

You see?

all these miata fags come out the wood work to defend their little ugly car

that's not on the list

Seriously, just look up 986 reliability and cost to service/fix things. You could be looking at new sports cars for similar money so you'd have to really like the boxster to go that route.

Also if you're worried about social stigma i'd stay away from the 986.

Silly boy

FUNNY BOY FUNNY BOOOOOY

>Calling a car based off a Lotus "ugly."

>IMS
The IMS is a big problem but people often overlook all the other issues these cars develop because of it. The IMS is a showstopping issue unless it's fixed, but once it is there's still a number of big concerns with these things like the locks, the windows, the rear main seal leaks, crazy use of tyres/brakes, the fact that everything but the S model 3.2l is underpowered (compared to the quality of the chassis) the struts wear out quickly, the guages can have really serious problems and the scanner tools are ludiciously expensive. Also the coolant overflow tank cracking. The list goes on.

Didn't know that's how they were priced in the US in regards cost to purchase. Here in ozland a shit boxster is 15k and a shit boxster S is 25-30k whereas a great s2000 is 15-20k.

any generation after that one is uggo, we arent talking about NAs because they are shit

>sharing blood with a tin can kit car
ouch

Come now guys, the OP didn't ask for a miata so lets not make this a miata fight.

(PS i own an NA and i luv it)

That sounds quite do-able budget wise.

As for price, I can get a 3.2L 6-speed Boxster around 90,000 kms / 55,000 miles for $25K , and a S2000 with the same mileage for about $20-$30K, or one with triple the miles for $15K. Wondering if that's just S2K meme tax or if everything has listed has a good chance of actually happening.

FUCC U JUS SAY NIQQA?

its in the strawpoll

I'm not an expert, i don't own one. But after hours of research i wasn't game enough to try and buy one (Even though i'd love to own one) but your appetite for risk may be significantly higher than mine.

The Cressida's radio will beep out Happy Birthday when it's your birthday.

Why would you get any of the others?

How hard is it to put a better engine in one of those old poopras?

From the 7M to the 1JZ? Easy as fuck.

From the 7M/1JZ to a 2JZ or 1UZ? Probably a little bit of moving about but nothing too crazy.

FC BECAUSE DORITOS IS LIFE

Really? strange i can't find any swapped cars for sale. (mind you ausland so legality could be sketchy)

They'd all be sitting in their shitty facebook clubs doing buy/sell there. If you check regularly you can find them on gummy.

gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lesmurdie/cars-vans-utes/1986-toyota-cressida-1jz-vvti/1137476457

Not sure about older Supras, but swapped Cressidas pop up every now and again, as they have they share the 7M with the Supra, and the 1J was built to drop right in where the 7M did to replace it on said Supras.

I've seen the cressidas, just wondering if i should potentially do a poopra as babbys first engine swap? I know they're supposed to be heavy but with the 1jz power i'd hope it felt a little more sporty?

1,300 Kilos isn't that bad (A70) the 1JZ would feel nice in it, especially if it's turbo.

The auto A70 was like 1,600 kilos somehow though, which is heavier than the Cressida (1,400).

I suspect legality might be tough in victoria. Looks like you're best off getting a whole front clip with a 1jz if you want to do the swap.

I can't say with absolution on the MX83 Cressidas, but finding parts for my MX73 was an absolute nightmare. Running gear is drying up. They're relatively complicated, too. UZ swaps fit better than JZ's, and fit the character a little better, and cost a hell of a lot less. Ask about on the forums, someone makes brackets for both.

I'd go with the one that's reliable, has an aftermarket, and is easy to find parts for. That's pretty much s2gay. Depends on what's around you though honestly.

>S2Gay
No, the most reliable, aftermarket, easy parts, etc, is the honda civic.