Reminder that there was never any plan to round up and deport black people after the Civil War

Reminder that there was never any plan to round up and deport black people after the Civil War.

While there were efforts to encourage emigration of freed slaves """""back""""" to Africa, it was on a strictly voluntary basis. President Lincoln himself initially seemed to support this effort, but due to several factors (including a lack of enthusiasm from prominent black Americans such as Frederick Douglass), abandoned this idea during the Civil War. In his final public address, Lincoln supported the idea of black suffrage, which some believe drove John Wilkes Booth (who was in attendance) to assassinate him.

Alt-right memes are NOT history.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln_and_slavery#Colonization
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Of course it's a deep and nuanced issue (like all of history) and can not be reduced to memes, despite both sides' attempts to do so.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln_and_slavery#Colonization

So explain Liberia then OP?

>While there were efforts to encourage emigration of freed slaves """""back""""" to Africa, it was on a strictly voluntary basis. President Lincoln himself initially seemed to support this effort, but due to several factors (including a lack of enthusiasm from prominent black Americans such as Frederick Douglass), abandoned this idea during the Civil War.

Sometimes, when you actually read the posts, you find the answers right there.

That nigger lover was the original cuckservative

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN

Of course it was on a voluntary basis you sperg. What were they supposed to do? Spend tens of millions dollars throwing Africans out of the country and relocating them in Africa?

The memetic version of this generally implies a forced deportation.

>Lincoln supported the idea of black suffrage

/leftypol/ memes aren't history either

I don't know what "leftypol" is, but let's take a look at Lincoln's speech of April 11, 1865...

> It is also unsatisfactory to some that the elective franchise is not given to the colored man. I would myself prefer that it were now conferred on the very intelligent, and on those who serve our cause as soldiers.

Really makes you think!

Told you this las thread gonna tell you again

>In the language of Mr. Jefferson, uttered many years ago, "It is still in our power to direct the process of emancipation, and deportation, peaceably, and in such slow degrees, as that the evil will wear off insensibly; and in their places be, pari passu [on an equal basis], filled up by free white laborers."

t. Abraham Lincoln

Sorry Lincoln isn't the tolerant redneck killing hero you had in your liberal mind.

>let's allow only a few select Negros vote
>black suffrage

Apparently you didn't think hard enough

>"Let's extend suffrage to these black people, t. Lincoln"
>Pfft, that d-doesn't count...

Your quote is from 1860.

The quote in is from 5 years later.

Really stimulates the old neurons.

Lincoln was racist no matter how many white supremacist white boys say otherwise on the internet.

Could not agree more my Nubian brother.

Furthermore, we wuz kangz and I have personally impregnated 3 white women in the last week whilst simultaneously collecting welfare (under fraudulent auspices) and generally undermining the values of right-wing, middle-class white males.

Practically the only person in the West in the mid 19th century that wasn't a racist was Arthur Schopenhauer.

It's not black suffrage if the majority of black men can't vote you idiot, of course it doesn't count.

Fair enough. I will amend it to "a form of limited black suffrage" in the future.

>"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."

Really makes you think.

/thread

Is this from the Lincoln-Douglas debate?

>1858

>1860

>1865

Really made me think.

I just hate when people bring up that speech as a way to pump up Lincoln's image. Especially when they turn around and bitch about Johnson being a white supremacist when they were more or less on the same page about reconstruction. Lincoln's cabinet drifted from his reconstruction image, not Johnson.

>politician flips flops when it benefits him

What a great guy

>the more recent the more relevant
>he was only PRETENDING to be racist

lel

You see flip-flopping. I see a moderate, pre-war Lincoln evolving over the course of a tumultuous presidency.

Where did I deny that Lincoln was a racist or white supremacist?

>I would myself prefer that it were now conferred on the very intelligent

So like 5 people in total