Tfw you see a kid with a harness and fixed back seat in his car on the street

>tfw you see a kid with a harness and fixed back seat in his car on the street

PSA: Stock seatbelts save lives

Good thing not all lives are worth saving

I seriously don't think people realize how easy it is to die when they modify their safety systems in their cars.

You fuck with one thing like a different seat, or different steering wheel (one without an airbag) and you've effectively zeroed out any chance of you living in a moderately fast collision.

This is why I hate it when I see cars with "sik mawds" and the steering wheel has been replaced with some random piece of shit.

>crashing your car
kys

LOOK AT ALL MY MODS?!!??!?!?

>only cosmetic

i have both and use harness for track only

I don't believe you

ok dont have pal but i do, harness's were designed for racing not street use, i dont switch out the fixed back Spacro every-time that would be a pain in the ass.

Airbags don't do shit.

The reason I'd get an aftermarket wheel is just to get rid of the giant-ass pillow wheel.

Are harnesses less safe on a road than a belt?

They can trap you

>racing harness and bucket seat keeps you from moving around during a collision
>stock seat belt lets you fly forward and gives you whiplash, does not keep you restrained well

Idiot. The racing set up is MUCH safer.

You do realize in older vehicles airbags were a selling point and really didn't add any safety to the vehicle? The Fiero was the overall second safest vehicle of its time, only second behind a a Volvo Wagon, and it had no airbags.

Replacing the steering wheel creates a harder surface yes, but if your seat belt is working properly your head should never touch it.
Also a steering wheel with a quick release is much less likely to trap you as ordinary steering wheels can in a crash.
Aftermarket racing seats will hold you better than a standard seat in a crash.
A quick release harness can disconnect all points with a simple twist in the middle of your chest. Which is more likely to be unreachable in a crash, a latch in the center of your chest or a latch by your hip?

The best safety modifications you can do include:
>Quick disconnect wheel
>Racing seat
>quick release harness
>Extinguisher in car
>fuel cell vs standard tank
But most importantly
>roll cage
>staying aware while driving

If someone from Veeky Forums gets in a crash, I'd suspect there's a much greater chance that the crash was caused by someone else.
I've almost been hit 8 times in the past year simply because people merge into me or turn out in front of me without looking. Because I'm always watching and aware, I've avoided every single one. In none of them would I have been found at fault.

Two big ass tags on your chest vs a little button down by your hips. No.

The only reason I can think of is that seat belts are designed to have a certain amount of give while modern harnesses are designed to be used in conjunction with helmets and neck protection.

Daily reminder that 4 points are for posers

You're an idiot. Here's why.

A racing harness is designed to be used with a few other key systems:

A roll cage / half cage
A HANS plus helmet
Fixed back seat, and anti-submarining harness

If you don't have one of those systems in the equation, you're fucked in any sort of major collision. Most people don't wear helmets on their trip to work, so chances are you'll have permanent spinal issues if you ever get hit while using a harness and fixed back seat. 3 point Seat belts are designed to have some slack in them combined with the stock seat so your whole body can shift forward and you don't get paralyzed. Whereas a harness / racing system is designed to keep you absolutely locked in, which is totally safer if you're using all the systems and they're installed correctly by a good tech. Because your body is locked in, the thing that is gonna move forward is your head. The HANS is designed to mitigate that.

From there, having a fixed back seat in a car that doesn't have a full cage / half cage is fucking stupid. if the roof caves in, you're dead. At least with a standard seat that moves forward in the event of a cave in, you have some marginal chance of surviving.

Race and street systems must be one or the other. Much like oil and water they do not mix.

Also I should add that most harnesses are not DOT approved and in the event of a collision where emergency personnel need to get your ass out of a car as soon as possible, it's easier to cut a 3 point belt or hit the big red button. Guys might not know how to unbuckle your fancy setup, but they sure as hell can push a button.

>tfw car had no airbags and a shitty lap belt only for the driver to begin with

>installed sparco seats/belts/steering wheel

>Having a car that has any safety features
It's like y'all are driving some modern appliance cars.

>rips out the whole interior of the car so its just bare metal and it echos so loud that you get hearing damage from the loud ricer exaust
>installs a new sound system

>tears out the comfy seats
>installs shitty racing seat that offer no ass padding
>lower the suspension so much that when you go over a tiny rock, it feels like you are getting assfucked by Godzilla

and the worst of all
>uses this a daily drive

Youre an idiot

>drive a car that came with a bench seat and lap belt
>put in race seat and harness
>somehow less safe

leave the house and learn to drive anime dweebs

And you don't know how to use an apostrophe properly.

Why did you reply to me? I agreed with you.
I survived rolling over with no airbags or anything. We were all just wearing seatbelts and we walked out without a scratch.

/thread