/drg/ Danganronpa General

Don't forget to use spoiler tags (Ctrl+S)!
Previous thread →

>/drg/ OP pastebin (just copy it and paste previous thread link)
pastebin.com/XYa49a5Q

>DRV3 news pastebin - *Updated 01/11/2017*
pastebin.com/n83HpxJC

>New to DR
pastebin.com/mnduF4qj - Spoiler free guide to enjoy Danganronpa
pastebin.com/MUdQJedT - Indepth gameplay mechanics and infomation

>Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Steam Page:
store.steampowered.com/app/413410

>Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Steam Page:
store.steampowered.com/app/413420

>Danganronpa AE: Ultra Despair Girls is coming to Steam and PS4:
youtube.com/watch?v=VzbIuPpPM8E
store.steampowered.com/app/555950/

>New Dangan Ronpa V3 is scheduled to be released in 2017 on PSVita and PS4.
youtube.com/watch?v=UdGlN0aEG2k

>DR 1-2 Reload coming to PS4
youtube.com/watch?v=6DGuCuHurUk

> DR3 Anime episodes and more
pastebin.com/bvNw28sS

>Kazutaka Kodaka Interviews and more
pastebin.com/QjVqihAm

>DR Manga Scanlations:
shslscans.tumblr.com/current
>DR Manga Collection (Eng): *You need an account to use Batoto*
bato.to/search?artist_name=Spike Chunsoft

>Download pastebin *contains downloads, art assets, sprites, manga, novels, music, anime, media, charts, and icons.*
pastebin.com/6UhFpa8W

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/1Z8Ty
youtu.be/RlIAZ-Htlnw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>all these embeds

Game would've been better if the protagonist switch had happened in the third or fourth chapter after Kaede purposely killed Ouma because she thought he was the mastermind y/n?

>KH 2.8 robs DRv3 of top Sony sales for the week of January 8th
SHE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH ITTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Kiibo is for pure hope in supporting your friends no matter what the situation is!

Reminder to take the DR3 episode links out of the OP; there is absolutely no reason to watch DR3 at this point since the ride is long since over and there's nothing redeemable about the show itself, so we should save newcomers from their terribleness

ASSEMBLE MIUBROS

How are you all doing this fine evening.

Actually, yeah. Even if you want Kaede to be tragic entirely you need more time with her.

She's sort of a Case 1 Chiaki, as it stands.

Mate, fuck off. It's there if they want it

>beaten by a $60 tech demo.
V3 BTFO forever.
>Aqua and Junko share a Jap VA.
Junko always wins baby.

Reminder that she died for nothing.

Game would have been better if it went exactly as Team DR planned and it was Shirogane vs Kiibo with everyone else dead, with the revelation of the entire thing being a show being revealed at the end, causing max despair.

No because Ouma was the main antagonist so he has to stay alive until chapter 5. Also Kaede a shit.

I want to hate-fuck Monaca.

>expecting literally anything else beyond a completely stages HOPE VS. DESPAIR battle at the end.

That's exactly what the goal was. Danganronpa gives them both hope and despair, but they play by the same rulebook in this case.

What would Himiko do if you smacked her butt as hard as you could?

Not just your ordinary slap, but a great big SMACK right on her rear end.

probably chase you around for a good while

Anything would have been better than what was made, but on that note if she sacrificed herself later on then she would just be a poor man's Chiaki.

The biggest twist this game could have done is actually keeping her as a protagonist.

KIBOU DA

DR needs a none bitch boy protag if it ever gets another game. Shake up the formula and give us something actually surprising and not a beta male self insert. Someone like pic related would be refreshing. Confident joker type.

So how's Saihara's "I reject hope and despair!" rhetoric going to go when it's revealed that the RoD are active and Hope is the only thing fighting them?

I want to make Himiko my cock-sleeve!

Hinata already rejected hope and despair for FUTURE last game. Why are they still on this?

>He thinks he wasn't going to be another beta too

Guess Kodaka should have had the stones to stick with his female protag.

ZETSUBOU DA

Ah yes, intelligent, nihilistic, AND with a wicked sense of humor. At the 5th trial he would be revealed as the killer and an unreliable narrator. When the wrong blackened is chosen, he would cackle about how everything went according to keikaiku before triumphantly leaving the academy, at which point Killer Killer would give his murder a 40/100 before slitting his throat. The last words you hear before the credits roll are "Nothing personal, kid."

She's taken, find someone else.

I'm wondering that myself. It's kinda like how Monaca decided to give up on Hope and Despair and not think of anything and it was called "another kind of despair". Saihara's desire to "change the world" can be seen as another form of hope, so I think the most logical route would be telling the difference between false hope meant just to be there to fight despair, and true hope that actually serves a purpose.

Then again, I'm not Kodaka so I can't really explain anything that's on his mind. For all we know, we got more bullshit on the way.

>The biggest twist this game could have done is actually keeping her as a protagonist.
That's not a twist at all because everyone expected her to be the protagonist. Kodaka wouldn't let that actually happen.

imgur.com/a/1Z8Ty

Was Ouma's love hotel translated yet?

How about I take both of you?

Forget about her.
You should become friends with my sister. You two will get along just fine.

I can't help but think Kodaka should have advertised Saihara as the protag and done the switch with Kaede

You really can't have the last case center around the idea of change when you couldn't even change the protag's archetype

Or is that the point

Is it all just too deep for me

I'm a goat right I did this to Kodaka I made him rehash the game I was planning to buy if it wasn't a rehash

Are you a cute girl?

>robs
KH is so much bigger than DR I don't know how anyone could be surprised

Because Kodaka can't get his Hope vs Despair boner down and needs to to find more ways to prove that Naegi was the worst protagonist of all by saying hope is bullshit.

I mean, that whole false hope was literally the entire plot of DR3 man. Munakata and Mitarai both represented false hope while Naegi and Hinata represent real hope

She was already heavily hinted to probably die from the demo. Keeping her around would have changed the DR formula, but apparently Kohacka is allergic to change.

>Implying
I'm gonna take these legs
And im gonna kiss them

So him?

Korekiyo is by far the most pleasant surprise out of all the characters. Had zero interest in him and then chapter 3 just straight up reveals him to be a crazy incest tulpa man. Love it

Korekiyo is just pissed because Saihara sent an innocent woman to his death and he knew it

If I recall correctly, Kodaka only wrote the outline for it, sent it off and hated what came back. So he's probably using this story to get that point across since he fucked up the first time.

Junko never existed in that world, they were all peaceful citizens that get their kicks of killing brainwashed humans.

Saihara should have been given the personality he wanted where he commits a murder. During the manga warp-up Kaede starts pointing out the inconsistencies in his line of events and the protag position switches to her trying to get Saihara convicted, who starts slowly breaking down more and more.

Could have been replaced by another female and nobody would be complaining. Could have just made Shuichi a reverse trap. Or he could have even made one of the guys other than Shuichi or Kiibo the protagonist. There are things he could have done to make it interesting, and instead he just gave us another bitchboy.

inb4 Kodaka makes next game protagonist a shota

Would be cool to play as a serial killer or some kind of criminal but without any amnesia/mindhacking.

Yup, would have been interesting to see a generic DR protag be unraveled by someone new, but such intricacies escape Kodaka. Or maybe that was the point.
Reverse Trap Saihara would have been just as annoying as normal Saihara

I mean, that's an exaggeration but yeah. He didn't write all of it and is sorta rehashing some of it it seems.

Oddly, it seems like Kodaka sees Kiibo as the rehashed protagonist that the in-universe audience "plays as", and Shuichi as somehow refreshing? I don't really get it, at least Kiibo is a robot voiced by a male VA for once.

All the incest and splitting personality stuff towards the end was just a ruse. He just couldn't stand to be around these idiots any longer and decided to go out in the most over-the-top way possible, and go chill with his sister and Kaede in the afterlife.

>tfw my little sister looks just like Himiko

Love it

I think the whole point was that the passive MC unconfident in his abilities as a detective was actually an attention-seeking psycho who was going to use SHSL Detective to create an entertaining murder and go out with a bang.

Best I got for now. Hopefully we can get a better answer for this as the year goes on, but for now this is what I have settled with so I don't try to think on it too much.

But Keebo is not a rehash, he's super unique by virtue of being a robot and way more emotive than Naegi ever was

Yeah the dude is just fucking blind. Too much stock in "Hope and Despair", no understanding of characters.

Nagito could be motivated by fucking bagels and he'd still be loved - it's what he does with his ideological zealousness that people care about, "Hope" itself doesn't really matter.

And the audience only plays as him in chapter 6. For the rest of the game, he is himself.

You would've gotten literally another case of Goro had Saihara killed somebody

He would have been out of our hair case 1, which Goro wasn't

No one is as bad as Goro the mistake

Well Shirogane comes close

Even with a proper translation I think it's going to be left purposefully ambiguous. I think it's common agreement that one of his goals was to fuck over the mastermind (for whatever reason), but another could be that he would never be forgotten or leave the survivor's minds by virtue of his death and killing one of their best friends by proxy.

It'd be a very Junko-like thing to do.

He's an alpha.

Because Saihara's answer is CHANGE THE WORLD.

>Shoeitchy goes to love hotel
>literally can't sweating and going "HUH HUH HUH"

Truly the self insert we deserve

To be honest, I would actually have been cool with the incest stuff if they didn't also attach it with "Killing 100 women for muh sister" stuff. Like, if they kept the idea of him being a siscon in, but have it be something he was ashamed of and having people not trust him after the reveal. I feel like that would have made him a much more interesting and cool character.

So let me see if I got this right. Kiibo was planted to become hope for the game of Hope vs. Despair. But he also got taken over by the audience where they were allowed to PLAY as Kiibo...

So... Kiibo was meant to give the people hope by sharing the hope of the other students with other people, and when the Hope vs. Despair showdown happened, the viewers would have picked which side had won? So Kiibo was "fake hope" in the fact that he became hope by giving hope and then letting other act on that hope through him.

Am I getting this right?

No, I'm saying the audience "plays" the game as him because it's all recorded from his perspective. But yeah.

What characteristic would you guys want in a protagonist in the next game?

I want to see a protagonist possess a talent that's random or useless in a killing game like SHSL Calligrapher or Racer.

Either that, or a talent that is useful, but not a Detective. Something like SHSL Lawyer or Debater. That would be interesting.

Because Kodaka can't let go of SDR2.

This is my daughter Kirumi. Say something nice about her.

Funny when you replay the first chapter and just love when he is hugging himself and saying how everyone already loved someone else enough to kill others for their sake and he does it too. Then Tenko follows by telling him that anyone he loves would be creeped out.

But those tapes were likely fake as the prologue suggests.

>Something like SHSL Lawyer or Debater.

I want this just so we can get someone who is assertive from the get go. There are other ways to develop a character beyond shy to less shy.

She was best girl

I love her with all my heart.

SHSL psychoanalyst would be pretty dope ngl

She's a bitch who killed Best Boy for her delusions

Literally the post-trial is what killed it for me. I thought the MPD shit was awesome. I figured the story was going to be that his sister died and he couldn't get over it, so he developed a fucked up coping mechanism so he could feel like she was still beside him. Crazy, but at least in a pitiful way, yeah?

I even like your idea of him having been in love with his sister but having some self-awareness about it and being ashamed about his feelings. Maybe through interaction and development with the rest of the cast he could've moved on and grown as a person.

But nope, LMAO SHOCK VALUE! hurr durr

youtu.be/RlIAZ-Htlnw

she is pretty

I'm always going to be really bitter that we could've had an interesting character with depth for him but it feels like kodaka shoehorned the shock factor in the last minute cause "there wasn't enough of it"

This is my son Saihara. Say something nice about him.

The more I try to make sense of Kiibo's reason of being placed there, the more confused I get. Like this is all making sense to me, but it feels like there is one piece missing from everything to make it all add up. I can't even rely on it being there because FUCKING KODAKA.

He is the best boy (female)

I'd like to see something completely different and not useful for a killing game. The problem with a character who knows what they're doing is that they wont develop throughout the game. The point of the MC is to change as a person and learn but a character who knows what he's doing from the get go would be boring.

His ahoge is very expressive.

JUST

She's beautiful and makes me happy. Her elegance is understated but oh so stunning. I loved her until the end.

cutest mc

Essentially just Battler.

He's cute and I want him to be obsessed with me.

He's okay, I guess. Better than Naegi at least.

They did not play directly, but Kiibo heard a voice inside him which plays what the audience wants him to do by voting, and it kinds of guides his decision many times.

Imagine if Kirigiri had a child with Hifumi

How about an ultimate survivor. A REAL ultimate survivor

He has powerful expressive hands

Kodaka's a hack cause this never happened

Okay I'm going to try to bullet my points out here and see if anyone else can help me patch this shit together.

>Kiibo was planted as the "hope" player. Tsumugi was planted as the "despair" player.
>In order to build up to an EPIC hope vs despair showdown that would INSPIRE THE WORLD or something, Kiibo recorded everything from first person view.
>Kiibo and Tsumugi are both in the background for a good portion of the game. This is likely very intentional as Kiibo was recording and Tsumugi had Ouma to throw people off from herself.
>The game had a two man survivor rule limit. The game would end once there were two survivors. Considering the amount of pieces placed, Danganronpa never intended to lose either of their pieces and simply have the Hope vs. despair battle for nothing but a fictional entertainment show at the end because THAT WAS ALL THAT WAS LEFT.
>This is the part that gets me: Was Kiibo supposed to be taken over by the viewers or continue to be the hopeful first person view? If he was to be taken over, his job would have been to gather hope for everyone to stand against despair at the end of the game. If not, then Kiibo was to fight despair straight forward?

Is this making sense to anyone else or am I just staying up too late?