/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more

/sthg/ #656 - Archie No More? Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/DevelopmentsRecent and Upcoming Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yZdiu84GS48
youtube.com/watch?v=wZ-IzQe-OUI
youtube.com/watch?v=BnwXmFwVSVM&t=0s
twitter.com/truongasm/status/821815753707962368
youtube.com/watch?v=XtTtqzJ1k_Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>blobs
at least post an image from an artist that isn't a gay

You can't see his toes from that perspective user

3rd for fool me once (reboot the comic, killing off all existing plotlines and 2 decades of worldbuilding), shame on me.
Fool me twice (end the comic entirely), shame on you.

Pretty much.
The first time I accepted that it was largely Penders' fault and Archie had their hands tied.

But now I'm just angry.

youtube.com/watch?v=yZdiu84GS48

This will play at Archie's furneral

Who else here going to not watch Riverdale on the CW channel?

I haven't watched CW since Smackdown was on it.

I don't even think I have the channel anymore.

I don't think I've seen a single thing on CW since they dropped SmackDown.

HowToDoNarrativeInVidyaSubtlyAndQuicklyWithoutHavingCinematicsClogUpTheGame.jpg

At least they can't fool you three times.

How in the hell did Archie think they could sell pre-reboot shit without getting in trouble from former employees? Did they learn nothing from Penders? Now the comic's gone and I hope their new show tanks. Jughead is already suppose to be bisexual in it

So you been meaning to tell me that there was an instance where Knuckles predessors foretold of the instance where Sonic will become Hyper/Super form to do battle in space for the Master Emerald?

Or was there an event BEFORE the main Sonic titles that this event already happened in the past and that Knuckles predessors recorded it in tribute to the Super/Hyper being that helped their island get floating again?

It was foretold.
Sonic is the chosen one.

This is/was true in the comics as well (RTAA arc)

>Jughead is already suppose to be bisexual in it

I thought he actively hated the idea of romance in the comics.

It's probably a prophecy. And since Gerald Robotnik is known to have studied the ancient Echidnas (to the point of designing the Cannon's Core to resemble the shrine of the Master Emerald in order to better harness the power of the Chaos Emeralds), I like to think that he designed Shadow based on (a misinterpretation of) that prophecy.

They don't give a shit, anything to make money and that's what this show is all about, CW shows all suck but every "Actor" on there are all hot so they use any excuse to have them get naked, well kinda naked and do stuff.

So if Riverdale fails, is Archie done?

>green hill zone is pretty much a exact recreation of green hill zone from the original sonic
pre order canceled
youtube.com/watch?v=wZ-IzQe-OUI

It's the most generic dull uninteresting level in the whole game. Every sequel (Emerald, Angel FUCKING Island) did what GHZ did a million times better.

But we know it's not because we've seen new areas in other gameplay videos.

>Projared

For all the game's faults I have to admit, the idea of Shadow Android and Omega taking over the Eggman empire is cool as fuck.

I'd have loved to see Archie work it in somehow as an alternate universe/timeline

>While I'm not THE biggest Sonic the Hedgehog fan
Everyone always prefaces their opinions about Mania with this

youtube.com/watch?v=BnwXmFwVSVM&t=0s
>the kid who drew sanic will never get his royalties

Except the first act of Mania encompasses all of GHZ from 1, faggot. Kill yourself.

Did anyone save that level map rip a /v/irgin was compiling together? It was S3K sized.

Nvm found a version in the archive. It's missing a few sections though, so idk if its been updated since.

>that subliminal focus on the things he doesn't like
>blatant false information
I hate Projared so much.

Atleast, if the comic is not cancelled, all this fan outcry will show Archie and Sega that series has clout.

twitter.com/truongasm/status/821815753707962368

gameplay of Sonic Mania on the switch portable mode
youtube.com/watch?v=XtTtqzJ1k_Y

How do you play that and not realize they made changes?

You be a casual fan who doesn't have that shit memorized.

it'scool to like Sonic again so people pretend to know what they are talking about

>you can play it while you shit
all i need

New character for Project Sonic, conformed?

>1:15
>Spends a full minute stareing at an obviously breakable wall and not doing anything

Holy fuck. How are people this bad at sonic?

Well, I was iffy on the remixed stages thing, but looking at that I'm pretty fine with it now, assuming the rest of the old levels get similar treatment.

But like...the short loops at the end on the one root that hasn't been changed much...and the fact that it's two zones instead of the first one...like...

There has been an explosion of this.

>The boys. Those guys.

It's almost like they've never actually played a classic sonic game before for more than 5 seconds, and only talk shit about it because it's popular.

good to view, good post
ill know go through it with a thine tooth comb

>root

>The boys. Those guys.

Where are my boys Sega

i sure miss my boys.

>it's cool to dislike Sonic again so people pretend to know what they are talking about
fixed

The idea of Shadow Android in general was the best way to bring the character back and mess with some new territory without retreading old shit or ruining the character's death.

Instead... he's the real Shadow but lol all of his backstory is gone so he's just a generic hedgehog who is grumpy and hangs out with a robot. The only thing worse that's ever been done with regards to the character was when the comics would try to introduce "Maria Replacements".

He actually was an android in Heroes but the actual one in Shadow.

100/10

Funny enough, the most obvious "Maria replacement" in the comics actually predated Adventure 2 and only became a Maria replacement years later.

Who?

hope kintobor

Hope? I don't even mind the existence of such a character though it's hard not to roll my eyes anytime i read the word "Kintobor" so much as just... I feel it's extremely lazy to cling to the idea of needing a Maria Replacement in his life in the first place.

It's about as bad and lazy as the pointless creation of Girlfriend characters like Saffron.

Well keep in mind Shadow never really had a proper character development in the comics. In the games he had Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow, then 06, but in the comics it was just Adventure 2, then he was rescued by ayy lmaos, and that was it. There was no Heroes, Shadow or 06 adaption in the pre-reboot comics, the Black Arms was just a throwaway reference to explain why the Xorda weren't genebombing the planet to shreds, and pretty much all of Shadow's character development in the comics happened after 06 was released.

Plus Hope was kinda part of Team Dark as a whole and not just Shadow's Maria surrogate, so that helped.

the thing about hope was not only was she somewhat useful but they actually explored the concept of a hero being attached by a villain by family ties

Ah, see, I wasn't keeping up around that time so I wasn't sure what all actually saw adaptation. That makes a little more sense.

And was basically only called a Maria replacement because she was a young blonde girl who interacted with Shadow, the similarities between them end at the superficial level

molly was an actual maria replacement

Oh yeah, Hope.
Shame she got pendered.

>reminder that if the comics didnt reboot Snivley would be stuck in a capsule unknown to anyone else as a sign of Eggman's ruthlessness.

>but lol all of his backstory is gone
But that's not true at all. Shadow's backstory in Shadow was the same as in Adventure 2, but with the Black Arms.

user please remember to jack off every day to me.

>as a sign of Robo-Robotnik's ruthlessness
FTFY

I'm referring to Sonic '06, which referenced none of it because kinda-but-not-really-reboot.

A shame none of that "humanity will eventually turn against you" stuff never really saw any satisfying conclusion, though. And fuck the inhibitor rings bullshit.

that image isn't even very good, could you not?

Fuck off Penders. Also Snively is still there, in the Skull Egg
What if the Bunnie issue of Universe has him get out?

dont remind me of that convoluted backstory

What was wrong with the Inhibitor Rings? Also, couldn't Amy turn invisible in that game.

It was a satisfying conclusion when you consider it followed Adventure 2 and his own game. Adventure 2 had him initially decide to destroy the planet out of revenge before remembering Maria's true wish for him to give them a chance. ShTH had him initially side with Black Doom to bring order to the humans until he realized the true plan was to effectively destroy humanity. Then in 06 he's shown that humanity will try to destroy him anyway, but Shadow chooses to fight for what he believes in instead of giving in to hate or fear as he had in the past.

Granted 06's story really isn't that good, but you can tell they tried the hardest with Shadow's part.

Inhibitor Rings kinda felt like just. The dumbest goddamn deus ex machina. The idea that Shadow is always held back from being some invincible super-not-super character who can at a moment be OBLITERATING EVERYTHING THAT'S NOT YOUR FRIEND is just dumb. Bad. Don't do it.

Invisible Amy was another extremely weird thing they pulled out of their ass that didn't really accomplish anything. I feel like if it were explained even at all it could have been something okay, but that would start to creep dangerously close to "everyone has a superpower" fanfictiony territory.

I feel like I remember reading some pretty interesting unused dialogue involving Shadow and Mephiles, but upon trying to google it again I'm coming up short, so I might just be crazy.

*at a moment's notice

i also forgot to mention that there appeared to be basically zero consequences to removing the inhibitor rings, rendering the whole concept pointless.

Yeah, but Sonic Adventure 2 was in development for a few years, so it's really not saying much comparing Maria existence it to a comic character who was probably churned out in a few months.

Maria and Hope are entirely coincidental.

blame sonic x

can we really say sonic X is 100% to blame for the repeated mishandling of the character? because i'm still not over him being a demon.

Shadow has only been handled well by Ian Flynn and co.

Alien. He's part alien.

sonic x? wasn't it one of those things that were mentioned in the notes for SA2 or something similar.

not that they should've used it

do you mean alien? cause im sure he;s not a demon

Thank goodness for that

Am I right guys?

Actually, there is a consequence. If Shadow exerts himself too much or fights for too long, he'll become unconscious.

yeah yeah, I'll give you that they're literally aliens but my point was that tinkering with his lineage wasn't all that necessary at all.

still kind of a bullshit ace up their sleeve to just have around. like just. don't write characters like this.

"become the bestest most powerfulest thing ever but they get tired after" is weak.

The Inhibitor Rings are not just to lock away his power, it's to keep it from sapping his strength and eventually just straight up killing him. It's more of a Kaioken than a Super Saiyan type thing. He gets lots of power out of it but it leaves him pooped.

shadows ring in sa2 was the only thing he left behind before he "died"
in the x adaption his rings shoot off before he uses chaos control

I'm gonna jerk off every day, sure, but I'm doing it for me.

I think having tiredness as a drawback for using their powers can be effective, as long as it actually has consequences and factors into other things. Bunnie for example is super strong and fairly fast, but since her cybernetics run off her life energy, she gets worn out quickly. Which also means that if someone like the Iron Queen were to manipulate her bionics long enough, it could kill her.

See, I had always just taken that as what was left of him. It never even occurred to me that they were ever supposed to be anything more than his bracelets.

no i mean the stuff that they made up but didnt end up in the final cut.

like Maria having NIDS
Shadow was made to fight diseases

>tfw Amy has had inhibitor rings to hold back her immense power all along.

god i cant stand how in x when ever shadow is shown from the front he has this extra spine showing from the side of his head

No, those are just bracelets.

Sonic X helped ruin the franchise. Sega, for some retarded reason, started taking ques from the show and putting it in the games.

I love it, that's my new personal canon.

>Project 2017
>Eggman fucks up Sonic, Classic Sonic, Tails & Knuckles shit
>Brags about how no one can stop him from ruling the world
>Amy shows up & takes off her rings
>Destroys Eggman's shit with one hammer swing

It would be ridiculous, but make it happen, SEGA!

you have no idea how much i want some super amy, but please not like this you memer

i know, right? could they not have just drawn the fifth one?

To be fair, they also started taking things from western canon.

shadow attempts to murder a little girl and beats up everyone in his path
>all he gets is a "hey not cool bro" and leaves

lmao she's not even top 10

chilli dogs
robotnik is eggmans real name
thats about it so far,

>yfw they're weights just like Goku/Rock Lee.

shadow beats knuckles in sonic X.
it might be fanwanky but I like to think knuckles to use the master emerald power to neutralise shadows abilities and thus beat him.

This is canon in Sonic Battle.

>Didn't even tell anyone his reasoning until halfway kicking their asses.

>not even top 10

Says you