I'm considering this. I like how understated it is. How come I never see it talked about and why is it so cheap?

I'm considering this. I like how understated it is. How come I never see it talked about and why is it so cheap?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q95XlQWQQk8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm interested in the Vauxhall version in the UK.
Imma lurk in this thread for opinions.
The VXR version of the Vauxhall is almost identical to the US GTO

most people consider them bland/ugly

nobody wanted them new

That's a Holden, cunt

is it? It looks a kangeroo to me

It's still not especially good looking, but the Vauxhall-badged version of the HSV Monaro is probably the most fitting look for the character of the car

Forgot image.
Plus they did a supercharged option in the UK with 500hp with a full warranty

I'm a bland/ugly cunt, so it's perfect for me. But seriously, I like that it's got no real style.

Vauxhall Monaro/VXR8 is the coolest Vauxhall they make, which is not surprising considering they don't actually make it. Because it's what this guy says, it's a Holden with the badges taken off.

The old lads off Top Gear liked it so that must mean something

>How come I never see it talked about
>regular looking
>heavy
>not to many made
>funky suspension
The LS1/2 is really the only redeeming quality about this car

Isn't that a Pontiac GTO?

I own one. I like it.

>Dat LS2.
>Lower drag coefficient compared to most of that year's competing sports cars.
>Interior much better than other 2004-2006 GM garbage.
>People think it's a Grand Am.

>Would be better if rear wheel hop wasn't so bad.
>Wish it had a 6L90e instead of the 4L65e.
>Parts shipped from Lolstralia.
>People think it's a Grand Am.

Dat LS2 is the main reason I want one. Is there a way to mitigate the wheel hop? Solid bushings would probably make the ride pretty rough I'd imagine?

To be honest, both of the rebadged holden cars that were sold in the US really appeal to me

>funky suspension

its called macpherson strut you retard

that is extremely typical suspension. like, most cars on the road tier

>Would be better if rear wheel hop wasn't so bad.

tfw '99-02 LS1 f-body

i've never ever ever felt wheel hop in my T/A. running 275/40zr rear tire too

Mine's still factory, I haven't fixed it yet. There are shops that had suspension rework kits. This guy says you can replace the half-shafts and cradle bushings and it'll be enough:
youtube.com/watch?v=q95XlQWQQk8

If you're going beyond daily driver or weekend fun car and you'll be building big power you might as well just replace the entire rear end from the start. There's Ford 8.8-inch and 9-inch conversions on the market. Those won't break just because you're making more power. A replacement rear end should already be fixed for wheel hop.

I was really considering one. But for the size and weight, 2+2 seating and a tiny trunk means they aren't very practical. 06-07 CTS-V has a LS2, same, price, performance and weight, but seats 5 and the rear seats fold flat for an even cargo capacity.

>lets bring back the GTO name!
>sounds great!
>lets make sure it look like an Impala!
>RIP Pontiac

This is the hardest part boomers can't get a grasp of. It was imported, there wasn't any "design" put into it.

The newer Holdens are better in every way.

It only barely has a trunk. The gas tank is right behind the rear seats, because reasons.
You'd be hard pressed to fit more than one suitcase in a GTO.
That being said, they're severely underrated and are pretty fast. Just don't get an '04 because they had wiring issues and the lesser LS1 engine instead of the glorious high-compression LS2.

I've driven a G8, it is surprisingly comfortable and drives pretty well. Don't know anything about the GTO, but the G8 is worth looking into.

UK and AUS LS1 models had the boot in a more sensible place and a big boot.
They're advertised on classifieds as "big boot" models

Ausfag here can confirm the car is alot of fun.

Only downside is the dash and interior but the engine is excellent.

Get the V8 manual though the 4spd auto is dogshit

You guys got lucky to have cars with large trunks but the US cars won't be fireballs in an otherwise non-life-threatening rear end collision.
>Only downside is the dash and interior but the engine is excellent.
Compared to other GM fare in the mid 2000's it's very good. That being said it still probably won't wow you, but it's reasonably durable (aside from the pesky shift knobs on manuals) and functional enough. Your manlet friends can fit in the back as well. The roofline's a bit restrictive for tall people, though.

Well I have the 4door sedan with a bigger boot but it's the same car just older with a better up spec interior.

They made better models here but not many yanks and poms got them

I like that Cadillac is becoming the new Pontiac in a way. I'm kinda considering the older cts-v but not the biggest fan of the design.

Supercharger was installed by a certain dealer, Holden didn't utilise supercharged engines until the LSA in the current gen GTS. (cue some fuckwit posting some HDT monstrocity to prove me wrong)

I'm not sure about the VXR, but later versions of our local monaro (Z-series, has a hood-scoop) utilizes the stupid fucking fuel tank in the boot, I suppose to save costs by making almost identical cars to the export model.

It sucks too, because I doubt the U.S. / U.K. sold enough of them to warrant cuckolding us out of boot space.

Our earlier ones (Y-series) don't have this problem but they also don't get the hood-scoops.

Wrong. Your fuel tank restrictions are structured in a way so that if the car gets rear ended at highway speeds, it won't crack the fuel tank.

I don't really understand how you could get rear-ended at 60MPH / 100KPH.

>I don't really understand how you could get rear-ended at 60MPH / 100KPH.
watch some dash cam's especially yank ones they literally are distracted 100% of the time from texting and shit on their phone

Saw two of these when I was in the states and I found it kinda funny how much these look like a fucking Opel Omega.

I know that's a trivial statement because it's not a secret that a GTO is a Monaro which is a 2 door Commodore which is an Omega flipped uspide down, but it was still an odd realisation. Dunno.

>It sucks too, because I doubt the U.S. / U.K. sold enough of them to warrant cuckolding us out of boot space.
The UK export version had the proper fuel tank placement until the GTO came along, only the US market called for the cucking.

I was talking about the rear suspension. They should have just went solid axle rather than half ass some weird pseudo independent trailing arm system.

Yes the McStruts are typical but they are also shit compared to double wishbone.

In the Air Force we used them as launch recovery vehicles for the U-2.

US market also had the Cadillac Catera which was an Omega using some awful self-destructing V6 built in England. Most of the Cateras I find in self-service scrapyards have bodies in nice condition but are dead due to powertrain failure. I think a few people have tried to shoehorn an LS1 into them, but consensus is the engine bay is too small.

They were experimenting with putting an LS in, but it'd overheat during long periods of full throttle like on the Autobahn so it never made it into production.

Then the Aussies got their hands on the platform and immediately dropped an LS into it anyway.

That just shows that Australian engineering is better than German engineering.

That's the cool thing. Both have the same performance and price so it really comes down to which you like more.

Looks like a Chevy cavalier

ur mum's vagina

No they aren't. I've owned a few of them. VE a shit

>tfw too poor to buy a CTS-V wagon with 6-speed manuel`

Looks more like a Malibu really. They made it somewhat more exciting looking over the course of its run though. Added hood scoops, actual dual exhaust (one on each side as opposed to two on one side), and different tail lights.

the best part of the gto is crashing it and still having the drivetrain to put in an FDrx7 when you're done.

It looks like a bloated Cavalier.

But the twin 2.5" on one side is cool and not excessively wank like one on each side. It's how you spot a 245kw LS1 over the gay 225kw ones

>but consensus is the engine bay is too small.
Lol thats ironic because most of the commodores left on the road here (Australia) 1997-2002 VT-VX are LS1 v8's with fuckoff huge turbos and superchargers and shit, plenty of space

We JUST unfucked the dumb GM/Opel/Euro retarded cooling systems

ive run my car at WOT all summer and only had a heater tap shit itself and radiator because they where 15 years+ old hahah

Kept my eye on the temp guage and it only got to 99-110 degrees at the absolute max and that was before i bypassed the auto trans rad cooler and had tonnes of insulation and dumb engine plastics crap

Stripped all that out and then made a stealth rear cowl where the middle windscreen whiper is and it never goes about 95 degrees celcuis with 40-50degree+ days

its a pontiac. it's cheap because build quality can be questionable and they made a lot. they aren't really that bad to work on though.

Horseshit they are basically unkillable especially the ls1 manuals

Its just the yanks dont like the styling and call it "boring" yet shit like this was popular back in the day and still fucking on the roads all over the world.

Their taste is in their ass and GM infighting killed this car because it was too close to the USDM Camero on the Zeta platform (Commdore and older 1997-2006 Opel Omega B's are pretty similar than the aussie made Alpha Platform)

>its a pontiac.

Sitting at 200km/h for an hour at a time is a bit harder on a cooling system than 125 on a hot day.

bullshit ive sat on 180-250 at WOT no overheating problems

but as ive said i put a rear louver on

It was installed by Greens, but that doesn't change the fact that it was Vauxhall UK approved and came with a full warranty

See, that's what I mean. It would have been the Y-series version. Did you have the 6.0l the whole time or did you briefly get the 5.7 LS1, too?

It's probably getting discontinued and replaced by a Mustang variant. The Holden version in the NZ and Australia market is being discontinued in 2017- 2018 when the shut down production.

We had the LS1 CV8 for the whole time, an LS1 VXR briefly, which was replaced by the LS2 VXR