Why dont Lincoln/Cadillac make a full size S class competitor?

Why dont Lincoln/Cadillac make a full size S class competitor?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_CT6
chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/5964810238.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because if im speding s class AMG money i will be getting an S class and not a cadillac.

You sure

Yeah that sounds about right. Cadillac is doing better but they still need some progress in their interiors in order to actually compete with a 100k+ S class. Lincoln has a long journey ahead of them to get even close

If Cadillac made that exact car production I'm sure someone would buy it but they won't make it

Because they can't even make mid size sedans that aren't full of cheap plastics and bad build quality.

Cadillac doesn't deserve the price it asks for given their interiors. They ask way too much for packages for stuff that should come standard in a luxury car.

Hell, BMW and Mercedes have the same problem. How dare they sell "luxury" cars for $50k that don't come with leather standard. Who the hell spends that kind of money on pleather?

Eww look at that leather sticking out

All cars past 2011 are shit to me because I refuse to own a car with a center console. That kills basically 100% of the sedan market.

The new continental takes it even further and has a center console that runs the entire length of the interior making it so that you can't even put three people in the back.

>S-klasse
>competitor
lol

Scratch that, it looks like full length center console was just the concept kicked around (I don't know why they fagged that thing up so bad when the 2002 concept was pretty damn nice and would have sold a mint, although the new continental is selling amazingly well by itself).

idk about the continental but the ct6 is actually the same size as a regular s-class
mb only sells the lwb s-class in the USA

CT6 is shorter

I've heard that MB gave their designers a blank check when it came to designing the S class back in the 70-80's. Is this true and does it still happen? Is the same true for BMW 7 series?

>MB gave their designers a blank check when it came to designing the S class back in the 70-80's. Is this true and does it still happen?

What you've heard of is actually the Mercedes 600, or the Grand "Grosser" Mercedes. It was the only Mercedes model where the engineers and designers were told to make the absolute BEST cars in the world. Some of the innovations the 600 had are incredibly advanced for the early 1960's.

Jay Leno has a wonderful video of his on Youtube.

It isn't. The CT6 is 5.18m the SWB W222 is 5.11m
The CT6 also has a longer wheelbase.

Because they would lose. There are cars you can compete with and then there is Mercede's top model they fill with the newest space tech.

Can MB afford to do it for every model of its S class? Its not like they have to start from scratch with every model, so improvements and innovations carry forward.

So 7 series and A8 are not comparable to the S class?

not comparable

Newfag here, remind me again why they dont release concept cars? EVER?!

lol my 16 year old Commodore is better then that shit

They just can't.

They can't and even if they could it would take them decades in best case to start turning profit. And they would still be outselled. Mercedes is oldest in business of luxury sedans and in whole business overall plus they are one of top car makers by revenue and profits so they can afford to throw a lot of money to R&D.

Why not?

e-class for sure

Cadillac does. It's called the CT6.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_CT6
Engine options are:
2.0L Ecotec 4 cylinder turbo (270 HP)
3.6L DOHC V6 (335 HP)
3.0L twin turbo DOHC V6 (402)

and there is an upcoming all new 4.2L DOHC twin turbo V8 that hasn't been released yet

because i can get a far better german car for 15k
chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/5964810238.html

>explicitly euro sized plate mount
>not throwing euro sized plates on it
>not even removing the mount and screwing the plates straight to the bumper holes with some foam rubber glued to the back

I just want Lincoln to make a car with a grill similar to rolls Royce, and pic related headlights, one on each side

Why not a Buick?

>i want lincoln to keep blatantly copying other designs
Dont worry, they will

Im sorry you live in the third world and have to pile six people in a sedan

>4 pot
>v6

lol you serious

>Can MB afford to do it for every model of its S class?

The closest compromise today is the Maybach S-Class specials. Even then, like this user said, it's not comparable.

The S-Class is considered an extremely important volume seller for MB, when you consider how many new units of a $100k vehicle they sell a year. If you were to try to match the craftsmanship and attention to detail of a Grosser 600 to today's standards, it'd be in bespoke Rolls Royce territory. Unfortunately much fewer people (with the actual wealth to cross shop a Rolls Royce of all things) are willing to compare the two brands today, as they were in the 1960s and 1970s.

The Mercedes 600 was in its own league to favor buyers who only want the absolute best and cost is irrelevant. It would've competed against Rolls Royce, however a fully functioning MB 600 isn't even on the same planet. That's how well regarded these cars were.

>4-pot
>makes more power than the turbo-six in the S320
German ""engineering"" everyone.

Aren't Rollers rebadged BMWs anyway?

The Ghost and its derivative are based off the 7-Series platform, yes. The Maybach would be appropriately a spiritual competitor.

The Phantom and its derivatives on the other hand, are 100% fully bespoke Rolls Royces, minus the engine. Rolls Royce used tired old Buick engines in the past too.

Nope since the 1950's
RR has only ever used the indigenous L-series V8 and BMW v12

>Rolls Royce

Ah, shit you're right. It always fascinated how Rolls Royce ran GM drivetrain gear in the past. When you're my age, that's what happens when you remember tidbits of old car facts from really old car books/photo books, and you realize the book you're referring to is from the late 1980s.

Leasing a Rolls-Royce: A smart idea?