Tesla performs mediocre in crash test

Tesla performs mediocre in crash test.

>Tesla falls short of meeting the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s awards criteria.

>We put 4 models to the test for safety, the 2 all electrics Tesla Model S and BMW i3, fell short of our criteria for safety awards (...) In contrast the Toyota Prius Prime, earn our TOP SAFETY PICK+ desgination.

>The 2017 Model S isn't available with anything other than poor-rated headlights.

>Pay more thank 100k for an american "Mercedes Benz killer"
>Get a car that is less safe than Prius Prime

iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/near-miss-two-all-electric-cars-fall-short-of-earning-an-iihs-safety-award

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qNd3miNU85k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

(((IIHS)))

Those jews think up new crash tests every few years. So any car not designed after the test, does badly.

The Prius Prime is a brand new design. So of course it is going to do the best.

The i3 is a aluminum chassis with a carbon fiber frame and plastic body.

The Model S is aluminum and the oldest design.

tesla's auto pilot killed multiple people by driving into the back of semis

people are still retards and use it

also a single puncture of the battery turns the car into a giant bomb

there is also just general QC issues that may kill your power steering and kill you that way

they also can't make more than like 50k cars a year and still have all these issues

i want to know who is responsible for tesla's marketing because the guys there can literally sell turds for 100k apparently

Wait, so all those Tesla fanboys that have been saying that the Model S is the safest vehicle were lying?

no.

Tesla still does excellent in tests that existed when it was designed.

>american garbage

This is true, but the small overlap test is no joke. I think the problem is the Tesla doesnt have an engine to absorb all the shock from the impact, so it all goes directly to the cabin.

RWD cars have a similar problem, but many perform better than the Tesla. With all the overengineering they put into the other crash tests, I would have figured they would have put more consideration into the small overlap.

>this entire post

More consideration even though the test wasnt conducted when they designed the car that is. I am sure they knew that small overlap crashes make up a large percentage of fatalities in crashes

>also a single puncture of the battery turns the car into a giant bomb
spoilers: this is true of your cell phone, your laptop, and anything else with a lithium battery. Vapers get their faces blown off by the things when poorly maintained.

>110k burger car
>only get ACCEPTABLE in crash test

Oh lord, this shit is nowhere S Class level, let alone brands like Volvo that actually focus on engineering safe vehicles.

The mercedes line up has all been refreshed since the Model S.

no one actually owns a volvo.

the only real disappointment is the i3. here it is in its naked carbon fiber and aluminum glory.

>even American highway safety institutions agree their cars are mediocre

CANT
MAKE
THIS
SHIT
UP

IIHS a private group run by insurance companies.

Their tests are harder than government standards.

Don't argue with stupid people. They'll bring you down to their level and win.
>no manufacturer on the planet can compete with a mediocre car company in term of 0-60
really says a lot about the state of the auto industry

Tesla a shit

yeah, so I don't know why the fuck you'd want to do it with huger batteries and more of them inside of a car, entrusting your life completely at the mercy of a fucking computer that could fail and crash your battery bombs

WTF? I love the Prius Prime now

Woah is it really a carbon fiber frame?
Wtf i want one now.

It is a remarkable car, senpai.

Good.

I was afraid Darwinism had died.

It makes sense that they change the overlap test when manufacturers rigged their cars to over-perform in the larger overlap tests.

Maybe manufacturers shouldn't rig their cars to do good in niche cases, and otherwise kill people in real world accidents or fail new tests.

Can someone remind me why this car is so hyped?

>mediocre safety for the six figure price tag
>interior is not even minimalist, but bland and poorly done
>inferior range
>doesn't look particularly good
>awful in a track or twisty road
>jaguar tier reliability (severe steering problems, suspension breakdown, etc)

Why all the buzz?

>Although the i3, the Volt and the Prius all did better in the small overlap evaluation than the Model S, the results can't be compared because the Model S is larger than the others. Since the kinetic energy involved in a front crash depends on the speed and weight of the vehicle, the Tesla's acceptable rating is based on a more severe crash than the good ratings of the lighter cars.

But a heavier car is safer goyim.

>"muh electric is muh future"

>Why all the buzz?
Electric Vehicle

thats literally it.

Electric cars have never been this sucessful before but its either going to flop HARD when battery tech plateau's OR Tesla will do something monumentally stupid.

>Vapers get their faces blown off by the things when poorly maintained.
Actually that's caused by trying to draw too much current from the batteries or drawing for too long without a safety cut of some kind.

youtube.com/watch?v=qNd3miNU85k

>Model S P85 with 271km
Pretty nice in 4 years. The vid has english subs. it still seems pretty nice after close to 3 tons

Factory drag wars ended over 30 years ago gramps

>Why all the buzz?
college hipsters think they know it better than all major car manufacturers. it's just the usual modern narcissistic hell of half-witted ideas.

>when battery tech plateau's
>when

I do love those sources you've provided

You mean like how ICE tech is plateauing and has long entered the state of diminishing returns?

except the ICE improved far more than Li-ion batteries in the last 30 years.
>y-you just wait Elon Musk will invent the magic space battery!!

I didn't know they doubled range/efficiency and halved their price in the past decade

>no manufacturer can compete.
Except kawasaki, honda, suzuki, yamaha, Volkswagen, mercedes, bmw, and some others, and not one of them needs more than a 1 liter engine to do it.
What you need is to simplify and add lightness

Saw an i3 the other day, couldn't believe how skinny the tyres where. That can't be the thread on them....that's completely useless.

wew laddy

Let me red pill you guys on something. As cool as Tesla cars are, the power source they have decided to pursue (lithium-ion) is pretty much at its ceiling in terms of technological development. What I am saying is that there will never be a drastic improvement in recharge time, capacity, range, etc... There will never be some incredible breakthrough from Tesla where the car all of a sudden is far more practical. What you see now from them is about 90% as good as it can possibly get. And the fact that Tesla has invested so much into a factory specifically for the manufacturing of lithium-ion cells pretty much guarantees that this is how they plan to move forward. The R&D pretty much stops here.

>15,000,000,000lb pigfat EV
>doing well in crash tests
Hard to make a car that heavy stand up to its own weight in an offset crash...

rly makes u ponder

>amerilards can no longer blame mean European institutions for their shit tier performance.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, not mass produced. Tesla makes the fastest mass production car on the planet. Stay mad

i've seen single axle trailers with thiccer tyres

there is a difference between fast and quick
fast means it has a high top speed
quick means it can do 0-60 in a short amount of time
A Tesla is a quick car, but not a fast car

>that's literally it
And pollute less, deliver 0 rpm torque and have other advantages.
>when battery tech plateau's
Riiiiiight. Batteries are currently capable of FAR more than what the lithium ion is. The problem is getting these batteries out of the lab and actually into mass production.

>useless
That really shows you being stupid.

I might pay a little more and get the Prius Prime, then, since 4 seats is more than enough.

well they didn't with batteries, so there goes your argument. unless you mean putting more batteries of the same shit quality in a car means improving the batteries.

>The problem is getting these batteries out of the lab and actually into mass production.

If they can figure out how to do that without putting off more emissions than a Range Rover modified to roll coal would in its entire service lifetime, they should do it.

>2900lbs

Fucking why?

Batteries?

That's actually not that heavy for an electro shitbox

Because you don't want frame warp due to the car being on jacks or if a hard pothole jars one specific wheel.

As you imply, it is certainly VERY possible to have a lighter frame. But there are other considerations too.

Tesla a shit

A SHIT