Traveling in baja mexico and the Germans all have these super cool overlanding rigs

Traveling in baja mexico and the Germans all have these super cool overlanding rigs.
Why can't we have nice things in the US?

You were saying?

>overlanding
>not calling it RVing

>RVing

>unimog.Jpeg
>pinzaguer.gif
>thereisareasontheUN,WHO,militiaandeveryaidorganisationdontuseshittyamericabtrucks.jpeg

Defenders and landruisers.....

The tires on many of these rigs are 4 feet in diameter.

So is your mom.

If I remember right those were converted from old trash trucks.

I don't think that makes a lot of sense. Garbage trucks have different cabs, different frames and definitely aren't 6x6.

Fucking kek, that was just right.

In all seriousness though, I'm European and I don't even know where you'd overland these things. Most of the places you go are either too full of people or generally forbid offroading. All these overlanders only ever seem to go to Scandinavia or Morocco, and of course to overlanding circlejerk meets.

nice things, not an ice cream truck

But it's german. Which means you'll get second hand autism

They use them mostly in Africa and south and central America.
Germans know how to vacation

Also I have no clue how these bastard cunts are even able to afford this crap. Most of us can barely scrap together a project car. They've gotta be the west German equivalent of retired boomers.

t. German

Becaus you don't need to worry about highway robbers in civilized United States.
Therefore an unarmored rv that can't run over some gang members in a Nissan pickup is fine to use.

It seems to be older german guys with really hot much younger wives.

because europeans choose cars perfectly fitting their needs rather than buying colossal vee ate truck and then modifying it/attaching something

That depends on where you live. I remember seeing old garbage truck in my city converted from pic related.

why cant i get one of these in the US?

>most of us

You answered yourself. These people driving these things aren't most of you.

You can. Buy a Mitsubishi or Izuzu minitruck and slap a truck camper on the back. Good luck moving 8000lbs up a mountain pass with 160hp though, That's why they're generally not used.

But the way you say it, they are buying old garbage trucks and putting beds in them

You can't because you don't have any money. People who do and live in the US can have whatever they want overlanding wise.

>can have whatever they want overlanding wise.

Not true.
You can't register a MAN or any Mercedes overlander in the US unless you are a diplomat.
There are many sweet euro rigs we are not allowed to own.

meanwhile he drives a garbage falcon

>many sweet euro rigs we are not allowed to own
Because this is America and we don't need any of that overpriced shit.

Defenders are absolute unreliable garbage.

I've met a few travelling through Mexico. They're usually retired landlords or upper management types, so definitely not the normal type. I'm more surprised that they travel across Mexico in these and never seem to get robbed.

where did you take this pic?

Best overlander coming through

>15mpg
>short enough WB for state parks
>fits in shipping container
>seats 5

a campervan? fuck that

You can, just slowly. People were able to travel those passes on 24hp 2CV's

Pretty sure you could import one (or an aircooled Tatra V12) if it's over 25 years old.

Noot noot! The setup on that one is absolutely hilarious. Tiny popup camper AND roof tent?

this, i used to drive one in college. hauling sheet metal. thing was constantly trying to kill me.

>2011+6
>not overlanding a Unimog whose controls can be slid from LHD to RHD in less than a minute

Mercedes literally has the same shit but for up north/winter.

Why the hell would you ever need to do that?

>tfw you will never lift an old step van and string a few hammocks up inside

those are harder and harder to find. i was looking for one.

>two mostly intact step vans on local craigslists for under $3,000
They seem to run much cheaper here in PA compared to IL, maybe that's because it'll cost the difference to get them to pass inspection though
Would've been cool to find some of the rounder ones like the lifted van but boxy vans are neat too

If I build an overlanding vehicle to ship around the world, I want to easily drive it all around the world. With the Unimog vario setup you can adjust it for LHD or RHD on a whim. Originally it was meant for applications like street cleaning machines where during normal driving it's better to sit left and during cleaning operation it's better to sit right.

I'm almost certain they would be robbed if the Mexican citizens didn't think they're the US military

tight mountain roads where you really REALLY want to be sure not to hit the edge of the road?

Or they forgot to bring a rocket launcher to rob a grampa van.

I had a right hand drive jeep in Los Angeles.
It took about 5 minutes to get used to then you never think about it again.
You would never end up switching it over