Why do old people like the Corvette so much?

why do old people like the Corvette so much?

Is it an "old person" car ?

>Studies showed that about 46 percent of Corvette buyers in 2012, through October, were 55 or older, compared with 22 percent of Audi R8 and 30 percent of Porsche 911 customers.

Who then fuck even cares

This

>3x more warranty than any other supercar
>Faster than GT-R for half price
>Pulls more G's than a million dollar Porsche 918
>Looks as good or better than [insert latest model] Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin
>Delicious FI variably timed V8 power
>Honda-Civic-tier 37 MPG
>Dat sweet exhaust note perfection
>Starts at only $50k

By far the best performance value in automotive history ever.

Its a dream car for a lot of people who grew up poor in america. They think theyre racey or something

The stingray is $55k.

The specs you're giving are for the Z06 which is almost $100k.

kys

Still the best performance value in automotive history ever.

Most affordable super/GT car there is and it isn't particularly slow for that either.
Also,
>muh vee eight

Old people who saved right have plenty of money, and a Corvette is a very affordable hero car.

this pretty much.

>Is it an "old person" car ?
It may be. My dad is 65 and has loved Corvettes all his life. He has owned several and now owns a yellow C6 which he sometimes drives from Florida to Canada.

Corvettes were heavily marketed after the war, and were the must-have of the middle-class American.
So people in their 60s probably grew up hearing their dad either talk about wanting a Corvette or being driven around in one.

It's a sports car that is reliable and cheap enough to daily. And it's got power to put a smile on anyone's face, except sour weebs and europoors.

This. It's the blue collar redneck's wet dream. They aspire to own it because all their redneck friends do the same.

You don't see truly wealthy older people buying Corvettes.

Truly wealthy people want to feel like special snowflakes.

Well, no. I suppose they want to have a decent meal at an upscale restaurant as opposed to the most expensive thing on the menu at McDonald's.

It's like watching Master Chef while eating a bowl of Ramen.

>why do old people like the Corvette so much?
Because a Corvette is an iconic car most of them grew up wanting and probably owned at one point when they were more affordable back then. A 1975 Corvette is only about 30k when adjusted for inflation. That combined with the fact that they're priced out of the hands of most younger people today.

So you've got an entire generation with both the income and the nostalgia for them. It's a very fun car and produced so much power for the cost. It's really no different than the the fact that a beat up civic is a teenagers car.

it's expensive
old people have all the money in currentyear

x more warranty than any other supercar
>>Faster than GT-R for half price
>>Looks as good or better than [insert latest model] Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin

>By far the best performance value in automotive history ever.

LMAO

>supercar
kek

because a lot of people go through their mod life crisis and think they need to buy this POS on wheels plus 99% are American and think it's the fastest/best car out there.
overall it's just a shit box with no personality

>why do old people like the Corvette so much?

Because it's a fast car for the money. old people with expendable cash didn't reach that point by splurging on everything when there's a better deal a couple of blocks down. Otherwise they'd either be broke or not have lived long enough to be that old.

It's heritage

Imagine 60 years of non-stop pussy

>It's the blue collar redneck's wet dream.
As a blue collar redneck corvette owner, I can confirm this.

Because they stuck to the same audience for too long.

Their initial audience was Greatest gen, and by extension, their boomer children, who grew up with C1 and C2 posters on their wall, and then the C3 was the revolutionary new corvette design that they came into adulthood with and admired.

The C4 was still aimed at them, and their tastes in the 80's, but they remained the Corvettes market well into the C6. The C5 was just a 90's-ified C4 with rounded edges, and the C6 was just the C5 without pop ups.

GM sort of stopped trying to make the corvette new and interesting to younger generations after the C5, and didnt seem to care that it's main audience continued to be aging Boomers while Gen X had moved on to other poster cars and Gen Y admired concept cars that never happened as kids, and as they've gotten older have stopped caring about cars all together.

The C7 is their most significant refresh SINCE the C4, and it seems to have paid off as far as interesting younger buyers.

but there's also the money factor. Greatest Gen and Boomers had the kinds of jobs that could potentially afford them a Corvette as middle and upper middle class workers. Gen X and Y do not, and therefore the only people that can really afford them are the wealthy or the same now retired Boomers

TL;DR GM failed to appropriately refresh the corvette after the C5, and kept catering to the same aging market for the next 8 years.

just drowned in it

x more warranty than any other supercar
Which you get because GM nerfs the ECU.

One thing you have to keep in mind with the Corvette is that it's one of just a few "semi-exotics" that are still achievable by most people.

There's like... the Alfa 4C and the Corvette. The whole gamut of Lexus/BMW/Mercedes coupes are all much more "normal"-looking 2+2 GT coupes that ultimately kinda just look like the rest of the respective manufacturer's lineup except with 2 fewer doors and a bit more sport-looking. The Camaro's and Mustangs etc. are kind of similar 2+2 except that they're a bit more unique looking and more sport oriented than their foreign brethren. However you feel about GM or the Corvette, though, there's no mistaking what it is the moment you lay eyes on it - a dedicated, 2 seater, wedge-shaped sports car.

It also still represents the idea of the common man in that same sense - very few people are ever going to be able to buy a Ferrari but everyone can aspire to buy a Corvette.

Young people buy the R8 because of the image and the 911 because of the history and prestige.

>supercar
kek

You actually see a lot of wealthy people driving them.
You're paying for the name with BMW, Mercedes, etc.
But a truly wealthy person will purchase a vehicle with high quality engineering, reliability, and a good price point. Like a Lexus.
Stupid wealthy people buy high end vehicles with horrendous upkeep costs and disgustingly rich people don't fucking care

>corvette
>exotic

>very few people are ever going to be able to buy a Ferrari but everyone can aspire to buy a Corvette.
Why would you want a Ferrari?
Why would you settle for a Corvette?

because a brand new dedicated sports car hits that demographic. the corvette is more or less an middle to upper middle class car. and although you can do it its not a car you really want to drive every day. which means you need the ability to own multiple cars. add to this that the majority of young people are finding themselves less and less in a middle class. personally i have like maybe one friend who is middle class the rest are all either rich or poor.
my poor friends drive hondas, and if they are car people they might get a miata or some such. my rich friends drive teslas and things like audi a8's
a new corvette is out of the price range of my poor friends and it just doesn't have the status symbol appeal of other similarly priced cars for my rich friends. additionally most of my rich friends are living in apartments in large cities which makes a specialized car difficult to deal with.

There is literally nothing wrong about blue collar work.

>Studies showed that about 46 percent of Corvette buyers in 2012, through October, were 55 or older
I was 27 when I bought my C6 in 2011. That being said though, I'm debating selling it and getting a Challenger R/T scat pack.

>people who can afford expensive cars are old

That guy's cool in my book

>You don't see truly wealthy older people buying Corvettes.
Eh, I have known a few wealthy people that had one. One guy had it as a track toy, the other just put it in his collection.