I have a question - were there any symbols associated with bastardry that a legitimized noble bastard was required or...

I have a question - were there any symbols associated with bastardry that a legitimized noble bastard was required or frequently did take as part of his personal coat of arms?

Arms don't work like that.

Veeky Forums isn't hte place to ask questions for your dnd campaign. delete this thread

No. Bastards generally don't have arms, and if they do, they don't draw attention to their bastardry.

He's asking an historically based question, nothing wrong with that whatever the reason. We don't exactly have a heraldry board.

>Bastards generally don't have arms
Yes and no. Where heirs and legit children were typically granted arms descending (depending on the era) from their armigerous parent's, bastards could have them deviate further.

Was there any accepted pattern for a legitimized bastard to modify their arms, or was it on a case by case basis?

All heraldy is case by case. It's a myth that there's a set meaning to particular blazons. Some times there were reasons for the blazon aspects, but not always.

I appreciate your help, thanks.

Pic related, these bars in the middle of the shield (with various colors and patterns) were used in English and French heraldry to signal illegitimate birth.

Jean, comte de Dunois - bastard son of Louis, duc d'Orleans

Antoine, grand batard de Bourgogne - illegitimate son of Philippe, duc de Bourgogne

Henry Fitzroy, duke of Richmond - bastard son of Henry VIII, king of England

Heh, sorry it wasn't much. It's a huge topic which can be quite interesting if you're into it. Worth checking out books on the topic.

This was quite useful as well, and I appreciate your showing those.

>tfw still no Burgundian kingdom in the low countries.
(And we should make a family coat of arms thread)

Bar Sinister and Baton Sinister indicate bastardy in heraldic terms.

Jean, batard de Luxembourg - illegitimate son of Waleran, comte de Saint-Pol

Robert Stewart, earl of Orkney, bastard son of James V, king of Scots

Charles Somerset, earl of Worcester - bastard son of Henry Beaufort, duke of Somerset

sir Roger de Clarendon - bastard son of Edward, prince of Wales

the baton sinister.