/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Red Hot Edition
Previous jej: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not as dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of Ded Earf
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>StarMade

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kjLWK6iQvRs
youtube.com/watch?v=DXjpWvCjgrc
forum.keenswh.com/threads/programmable-block-inter-grid-communication-guide.7392031/
forum.keenswh.com/threads/warning-potentially-breaking-changes-next-week.7392032/
forums.keenswh.com/threads/update-01-171-dev-programmable-block-inter-grid-communication.7392051/
youtube.com/watch?list=PLhoXNQqrCmEfAaTf0AfQ1Ztxmz2DoZiCk&v=Rb37-daSLQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=wlDQEYxrXbY
youtube.com/watch?v=KNnsbdwYB6s
youtube.com/watch?v=LTe50pCEFDM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Game about delving into the true domain of CLANG when

Piece of shit wasn't meant for these kind of winds

*Engineering game about delving into the true domain of CLANG when
Is of fixed now tovarisch. Do not be forgetting of where you are, else Clang shall remind you.

Keep your minds clean and thoughts pure or everything around will clang including you.

>Besiege cannonbed with two (nonexplosive) rockets for some reason
>Messing around with the 'kill 4 airships' level
>Suicide yaks keep fucking me up
>Fire a rocket at one of the yaks
>Misses
>Explodes next to another one behind it
>Yak gets knocked into the air and hits one of the freighters, destroying it

>intentionally
You are mistaking all factions for Empire.
No one wants to live in a tiny fragile world that physically manifests your every thought, unless they're batshit-insane half-robotic imperials. Even if you can extract nearly infinite amount of energy from the very surface of the world.

Anyway, keeping it thread-related, what would you actually do in such a game, if some group of drunken slavs were to make one.
For the sake of simplicity let's assume it shares the deepest lore somewhat with Perimeter, so nanomachines, chains of multiple big and tiny worlds, impenetrable energy barriers, morphing units and immense energy from terraformed surface.

What gaem

youtu.be/kjLWK6iQvRs

Worlds Adrift, Pretty comfy ship building and exploring game.

Can get pretty engineering with ship designs.

Danke comrade

of hello
yes putin here

request idea of military intervention
need of many cannon and big shell to assist with forward defense

of thanks

>factorio
>decide to expand smelter area
>spend ten minutes figuring out very creative snakelike patterns and ultimate weaving to get iron to the smelter area
>finally finish it and about to initialize
>suddenly i ask myself the question
>why am i bringing iron to the copper plate smelters?

Ever since I figured out rails I only make temporary smelting setups except my steel station
I don't know how to efficient so I'm concentrating on small goals

plus I love deconstructing everything every few hours to set it back up since I've learned new things

Nobody has been crazy/stupid enough to build one for such a purpose to test it.

I have (had) save with massive factory, it was so big I decided to cut out some bits from main plant and build them somewhere else. I had 160 steel furnaces for my iron alone.

I hope hdd didn't broke, maybe it just had bad day...
pls don't be broke i invested 8 full days into that save

youtube.com/watch?v=DXjpWvCjgrc

Features
- Drone AI improvements (weapons handling, ambush behavior)
- Updated Block/Component models + icons
- Programmable Block Inter-Grid Communication Guide: forum.keenswh.com/threads/programmable-block-inter-grid-communication-guide.7392031/
- Warning for modders: forum.keenswh.com/threads/warning-potentially-breaking-changes-next-week.7392032/

Fixes
- corrected air-tight properties for merge block, timer block and oxygen generator
- added message indicating selected block not available for a grid size
- added an email option to the crash message window
- updated construction models for small grid armor blocks
- minor material change for Gravity Generator
- fixed AI drones shooting without target in line of sight
- fixed not being able to use cockpit for small grid from the front
- fixed climbing invisible stairs when jumping outside of gravity well
- fixed LCD Panel Text losing Glow when recoloring Panel
- fixed refactor pilot attaching to cockpit
- fixed Voxel Hand and Teleportation security for server side
- fixed Visual Scripting Campaign issues
- fixed being able to use handbrake while not in main cockpit

We're also pleased to announce that the single most requested feature for programmable blocks is here. We said it wasn't going to happen, but programmable blocks now have the ability to communicate between grids. This means you can open the hangar door from your fighter, or even trigger self destruct remotely. We're very excited to see what the community can create with this! Check our forums for a guide on this new feature.

Merge blocks are still fucked.
Pistons are unfucked
Wheels kinda work actually.

Somebody needs to hack together a bastardized CANBUS implementation, post fucking haste. I welcome our drone overlords. Conquering a planet from the bridge of a command cruiser is now possible.

In theory.

Does the thicker axel actually do anything, or is it just visual?

Also, rest of the update announcement and link:

This week’s update contains more improvements and tweaks for block models. For example, axles on all wheel suspension blocks have been made thicker which makes wheeled vehicles look much sturdier. There’s been changes to the air-tightness of some blocks. This includes the merge block, timer block and oxygen generator now being airtight from all sides. Also, some block icons and all component icons have been updated.

New behaviors have been added to drone AI which can be accessed via the visual scripting tool. Firstly, there's now expanded possibilities with how drones handle weapons. You can set up which weapons they can use, how often they use them and whether they check for obstacles, be it grids or voxels, before firing. For example they could be setup to not use rocket launchers unless the player is hidden behind voxels. Secondly, you can activate a new ambush behavior. This will make a drone wait until it’s actually able to shoot a target before engaging. Please continue to give feedback on the visual scripting tool as we really want to maximize it’s potential.

forums.keenswh.com/threads/update-01-171-dev-programmable-block-inter-grid-communication.7392051/

Power up the small grid

exept from the offset, you can change the rest on the fly again, and to update the offset, you need to lock-unlock the wheel, and that didnt worked before at all.
Lateral friction not working as it should is still a thing, and can flip you even with low values like 15%, like when the rim eat the dirt IRL cars and start the roll, and still with small stuff it start to shake and go crazy because gyroscopic forces from the wheel it self.

its not a power thing, it happens also with projections to make quick release missiles, and the big one didnt need power, never did.
Pic related is the reason for all of this.

what engineering game will challenge you at every turn, but in the end you still win?

>Not sticking the yak on top of a rocket and shooting it into the airship intentionally

Nah man that's old tech, there are literally little rockets in the game now.
They're just fireworks that produce a small physical push.

A single cannon shot takes down the freighters anyway.
I'm off to try crossbows on those new viking bastards.

>Conquering a planet
What's to gain?
Compared to planets, asteroids provide vastly more ore which is significantly more accessible.
Adding the poor ore availability, natural gravity is a nuisance and a hazard.
Space is where it's at.

Yeah but quad leg tank divisions.

i'm still a complete beginner so i still feel good about simply setting up the main resource path
not sure if this is optimal but i do coal and ore in the middle on red belts, with 12 steel furnaces on each side, then have them deposit the plates outwards
i put several of these setupts in a row which makes for double filled output belts, i make it so there are four of those. the edges are only single filled. i use the edges of copper and iron to make circuits which then leave the base in the same manner as the rest of the plates, i also put up a little research area for red and green that will get filled to the brim and thus not really drain any resources while making my base look cooler
for steel i do ore and coal in the middle, furnace into furnace, steel and coal on the edge, split off at the end of smelting line so that only the steel gets further through
i've recently set up a plastic area with ten chemical plants on each side,
but i have no idea what to do with these things now that i have it all set up so i can easily draw from any of them

That all explode after desyncing for a millisecond?

Something like this, but wheels must be on rotors to work.

We already have ones ready to go though.

No, just a few. It's called transit attrition.

You know, a tank that has transforming/folding legs with wheels on is something I haven't seen yet in any of these games.
Surely it's possible, even just in machinecraft?

The bug walker alone is not hard, and im thinking on how to do it properly.
Spengos vanilla weapons are shit, so there wont be any cannon like that one, and with it, the entire turret have the same fate.
And with the rolling wheels you have the spacing issue at folding stuff, you end up using 2x1 slopes and makes it very weak.
For spengos there are better solutions to the issue.

Do those explode while moving?

Nope, but the rotors take damage overtime because of the wobble.
The big one made it into some arms that can let the rest of the body climb mountains and shit.

youtube.com/watch?list=PLhoXNQqrCmEfAaTf0AfQ1Ztxmz2DoZiCk&v=Rb37-daSLQ4

This talk of Spengies and moving parts exploding reminds of this youtube.com/watch?v=wlDQEYxrXbY I found and was watching last night. It's from like two weeks ago, but the guy was testing out some way older creations on stream, and was surprised at how many of them worked like they should now when he couldn't get them to work as intended when they were created. He had some problems with wheels falling off though, but everything else seemed alright for the most part.

Page /ded/

So... It's a the real gameplay of new game D.R.O.N.E. or scripted preview?

youtube.com/watch?v=KNnsbdwYB6s

Blueprints changed with the pass of time.
All blueprints after the update 1.136 were fucked both in locked rotors being pasted detached, and wheels started to fall off randomly, that later got partially fixed, but those blueprints are fucked up forever, same goes with others, but for different reasons, those showed a reference of why blueprints could be fucked up and built stuff could work.

I image real gameplay with the red team instructed not to target the guy filming. Or it's all fake from the ground up and they'll take their kickstarter money and run.

looks too smooth for a prototype

I'd really like to make something like this in machinecraft, except it is fucking impossible to precisely control rotors in machinecraft

Hawken looked that smooth.

Post warbros

The "player" took several direct hits with no damage. Does this even have part destruction?

That does not look like gameplay, that looks cinematic as fuck.

>they'll take their kickstarter money and run.
Looks like it is, but who knows

Look at what those games become.
>lets play /egg/ survival episode n#:xxxx
They are aiming to that i guess.

Where does one start with spengieronis scripting
This would be easier if keen could atleast make a decent guide

I thinki is coded in C#, and the best to start is to see and copy simple scripts.

Or use premade scripts for easy arguments, like the easy automation script, lets you write in pseudocode into an LCD screen.

>bread; 89c/loaf
>cheese slices; $1.29/20

>two sandwiches; $4

>says American on box
>label just below box says cheddar
>TGIF "food" sold in stores in Burgerland
Now THAT really activates my almonds

But anomalous, think of that Pan Grilled Taste!

I really hope it pans out. I really like Gear Up, and would love a similar game with real building options.

Hope is wrong to feel.

how do I make fast large ship hulls in from the depths?

Accidentally vhs retro wave

flux???

Hope isn't a feeling. It's a little pixie. If you leave a bowl of alcohol out at night it'll get drunk and give you pleasant dreams.

wip name for the amount of boost you have left. Literally doesn't matter what its called, all it does is mark how long you can use the afterburner-like function of the thrusters.

Sunny, your pretty good.

>tinfoil
I need to try this, I've been meaning to get properly shaped eggs for my egg and sausage morning sandwich down properly for a while.

Now that's a meme I can get behind.

Never tried shit like this?

Nope, not at all. I'll try that too.

youtube.com/watch?v=LTe50pCEFDM

Faster?

FASTER

That's so satisfying, with that meaty vegetable-like crunch after every rotation

how much

c

Will it run?

yes.

>SovietLED.jpg

>so, user told remanon to go faster and he did it, the absolute madman

CLANG is a harsh mistress

after spending 20 hours in empyrion, it is not egg. it's svg.

machinecraft is the only /egg/

> some love for @Malware who helped design this system, and @Jimmacle for providing so much feedback that I ended up rewriting everything
It is another feature implemented by community

Better than KEEN devs desu

>Jimmacle

Been building a lot in Space Engineers lately.

Anyone have any tips for doing steeper slopes? There's no 1x3 or 1x4 slopes or corner pieces and I haven't had any luck making a nice looking section using combinations of the 1x2s and 1x1s

Mods.

machinecraft

gas yourself until the slopes look steeper :3

you know what I really want to see? A game where you can have giant air ship battles like in Karl Schroeder's Virga series. Virga is a giant bag of air floating in space lit up with artificial suns. Because it's just a big bag of gas, gravity is effectively zero. Oh and it has an 'electricity don't work right field' built by the space amish to prevent post-singular AIs from fucking shit up.

People harvest wood from the trees that cling to asteroids and use the lumber to build ring-shaped settlements which they spin up with bicycles to create local gravity, which prevents them from atrophying into horrific, misshapen spindly monsters. They lash these together to make nation states, and light them with smaller artificial suns that they light by means of miniatures of the artificial sun, which they light by following a recipe whose origin is lost to fable.

They build navies of ships that ply the low-gravity spaces between the nations and they wage glorious, weird, amazing wars in those spaces, with kerosene-powered rockets and rifles and sabers.

What does this mean? It means giant steampunk air battleships made of wood, concrete, and steel, powered by jet engines, shooting rockets at each other, dodging through three-dimensional towns and clouds of debris.

I suspect it wouldn't be too hard to mod FtD to allow this.

machinecraft now fuck off

Sounds a liiiiiitle bit like what nick is doing with the single player ftd spinoff but instead of being exclusively in space he's doing waterworld. The different nations are going to be floating platforms made from debris iirc.

>single player ftd spinoff
The what now?

Reportedly ftd multiplayer is a burden that slows development to a crawl. A single player spinoff allows rapid implementation of experimental features that may or may not get ported to ftd without pissing off the ftd playerbase.

Multiplayer in ftd is trash anyway so I have no idea why anyone would care.

I just hope it's not like the Space/Medieval Engineers split where exactly nothing that gets developed in one gets ported to the other

Still waiting on compound blocks in SE, Keen

Spengies multiplayer isn't much better but some would argue it's the core of the game.

Ftd multiplayer is crude but has potential to be good. Most of the publicity is for the single player campaign so mp is neglected.

>Most of the publicity is for the single player campaign so mp is neglected.
Whole reason I bought it was the promise of multiplayer.

Hell, I ran the first "large scale" multiplayer match, which nick commented on and asked how I loaded in how many ships.

I also bought it on the assumption that multiplayer would improve. Is there a video of this match?

I can sort of see where he's coming from, He's got a lot of sid-meir civilization style ideas and a single player test-bed lets him see what works and what doesn't for much less effort without another resource unification incident.