I've been seeing an increase of R34s in the streets lately...

I've been seeing an increase of R34s in the streets lately. Are these cars being brought in illegally or have these people found a work around? I asked two guys (who were Asian, if that matters) how they were able to import them and they said they weren't allowed to say.

>USA here if you didn't notice

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rqMi5DxARJ8?t=1m40s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

montumotors.com

might be relevant.

Unless they are from the originals Motorex brought in they are illegal. Guys still do it though, Florida is a state commonly used for importing in grey or black market vehicles. It would suck to get caught though, those cars here now will always be illegal even when they become exempt after 25 years.

Would MontuMotors vehicles be illegal to drive in other states too?

No, because they adhere to the 25 year rule. All R34s are illegal with a few exceptions.

>montumotors.com
I don't see anything in their inventory that is not legal.

Not OP but I'm in california and spotted a RHD STI, it had euro plates behind california plates. It was illegal right?

>I've been seeing an increase of R34s in the streets lately

What state are you in? Are you actually seeing it in the streets or are you watching youtube vids where you see "legal" GTR's in

>rhd sti

Either that dude knows somebody or he did a RHD conversion. Yes that sounds retarded but there are a handful of retards that are willing to do a RHD conversion just for cool points.

most likely its the latter.

>euro plates behind california plates

that means absolutely nothing. people do that all the time. Looks retarded as shit.

I'm in California specifically San Diego. I've seen two the past 6 months. One by Coronado and the other near downtown. I saw one today (which is why I'm posting) in the freeway.

Did they have California plates? Could have been the damn Canadians.

You sure they aren't Canadians driving down south to show off their GTRs to us Americans?

Also, no you can't import them legally yet

most likely their illegal if they are being driven on the street. I mean its possible to to get an R34 GTR in America but it cant be actually registered on the street at all.

yeah you can. As show cars. but youd never be able to get them registered even after the 25 years are up, youd have to import another one.

Wasn't/Isn't there a rule that if it comes in parts, body minus engine, you can have it?

no u dum dum.

god damn you children are illterate/stupid. read thru the post above.

Just VIN swap and say completely custom car. How can they confirm?

The Coronado one and the one I saw today had California plates, but I'm not entirely sure if the other one had California license plates.

I only spoke to one of the Asian guy and he had an American accent.

Here's a pic I took from the Asian guys R34

is that a cali plate? i'm investigating

I'm 98% sure it's a California plate

Anybody watch Salomodrin or used to?
Because there was a video on some of the cars in 'cup gang', one of them was a black R34 that the Asian guy Carter owned, pretty sure it was registered in California

After a bit of research, turns out it's not Carter, but a bloke called Brian. Also not sure what state it's registered in because I'm an Ausfag

Depends. Is it an "early" midnight purple R34 VSpec? If so it may be imported under Show and Display. That limits mileage to 2500 miles a year.

Otherwise: Is it a Motorex car? There are about 11 of them in the US. BAR label for CA legalization should be in the engine bay or driver-side door jamb.

Otherwise: It's illegal and imported into Florida which will title literally anything if you pay. Or they registered the vehicle in Canada. This is a very questionable legal area and you should not attempt to register a car in Canada unless you are a permanent resident in Canada.

Montu Motors abides by the 25 year rule so no.

It is probably not a true RHD but a conversion as someone said. California is extremely strict about direct import registration and literally everything must go through G&K/California Environmental Engineering for emissions compliance before registration.

You cannot import an R34 permanently unless it is over 25 or it is Show and Display. You cannot import as a race car or for off-road use. It does not work that way.

No. Kaizo tried this. They got shut down and everyone's cars got crushed or exported.

Kaizo tried this, see above.

It may have been a Motorex car. CA is extremely strict about direct import cars, even those over 25.

That looks to be an Arizona plate. Like Florida they are fairly lax about registration. Some slip through the cracks.

It has to be a California plate. California fag here

>Number, Letter, Letter, Letter, Number, Number Number format
>White background with tag placement as such
Definitely CA plate.

>Brian
>Drives an R34

wew lads.

So his R34 is pretty much illegal, right? I talked to him and he said he couldn't tell how he got it here. I assume he would've bragged about it being Motorex. Also, he said that R34 was pretty slow, but his R33 was super fast, so it could've been a show car.

Where the fuck are you seeing R34s? I haven't seen a single JDM car on the US streets.

Southern California, specifically San Diego area.

Yeah it's illegal as fuck

>"land of the free"
>this car is illegal cuz 2fun lol sry

Probably imported them as showroom pieces and are driving them around town because they're absolute madmen. All it takes is one halfway intelligent cop to run his plates just for the fuck of it, then BAM you and your R34 are completely fucked.

youtu.be/rqMi5DxARJ8?t=1m40s

That would fucking suck

>this is what retards actually believe

>implying there is even one halfway intelligent cop in the land of burgers

This.

There used to be a performance shop in town and the owner had an s15 and r33, both illegal.

One day I drove by and the place was swarmed with DOT officers taking his shit away.

I've seen a few new ones. I don't know enough about them to tell if they were genuine or whatever but I actually see a bunch here in Georgia. One guy has a blue RHD older one. I thought a girl was driving it at first but she was the passenger. There is a silver one that I shamelessly drove very slowly past while he was stopped in the turn lane. There is a beige/champagne one that was parked at the liquor store. I've seen a few that I'm forgetting about but those are the ones I was able to get a good look at.

Probably going to get crushed if it isn't motorex.

R33 can still be imported if it is 1996 to 1998.

You really need to be doing something special to be able to get around California direct import laws because they are incredibly strict. They usually require proof of legal import.

Why would they be illegal after 25 years? Is there some new law they just passed?

That's gotta suck. The law is so shitty in that area. It's not like R34s are over polluting the environment or are super dangerous or go on nuclear meltdown. Petty, petty laws.

Because if you could just legalize a car after 25 years there would be a perverse incentive to import before 25 and break the law, then hide it until 25 and register when possible.

The laws are what they are. You aren't going to get an R34 before 2024. Deal with it.

RB26s absolutely do emit a ton of emissions. Most people tune like shit too and as a result you see fireballs and soot coming out of the exhaust every time they shift.

I honestly think it's a good thing that R34s are so wildly expensive because it discourages retarded 20 year olds from getting them and destroying them.

If the car was imported illegally before the 25 year exemption it will always be illegal. It broke the law. With that said, Florida and several other states (I'm looking at you Vermont) are entry points for a lot of illegal pre-25 year old exemptions. Let me put it this way, there are roughly 11 million illegal Mexicans, living, working and probably voting in America. A couple illegal Skylines would be a drop in the bucket the countless border violations occurring on a daily/yearly basis.