/shmupg/ - Shoot 'Em Up General

This general is for discussing all shmups/stgs (shoot 'em ups/shooting type games).

Previous thread: (Cross-thread) (Cross-thread)

Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s

Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

>RECENT RELEASES:

Caladrius Blaze
store.steampowered.com/app/386770/

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
store.steampowered.com/app/464450/

Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo
store.steampowered.com/app/463070

RefRain
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/

Shmups Skill Test
store.steampowered.com/app/430290/

WITCH-BOT MEGLILO:
store.steampowered.com/app/437020/

Blue Revolver
store.steampowered.com/app/439490/

>UPCOMING RELEASES:

Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia

iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/

Go Go Burunyanman Ecstasy!!! Steam-Edition
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194

Other links
STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

/shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

>Previous thread: (Dead) (Cross-thread) (Cross-thread)
I'm fucking retarded.

Previous thread:

Second for Windia getting pounded.

Also the actual previous thread.

>still trying to keep this dead genre relevant

just let it go, m8

Nice meme, fag.

>relevant
When was it relevant in the first place?

7th for violent fish

Great thread already.

I stuck to playing shmups even when shmupg died for an extended time a couple years back.

Here's a vintage shmupg OP image coming through.

so for cee's approval, you must:
>be good at shmups
>be good at other genres or else you're a one trick pony
>appreciate all arcade games and other genres
>have hobbies outside of vidya
who meets these standards? does cee?

>7th for misunderstood fish

Fixed that for ya

Good luck with your games, /shmupg/!

Puzzle games > racing games > shooting games

Are we in agreement ?

i don't even remember the last time i played a shmup tbqh

Don't worry, I'm already trying my best.

immediately after typing this i ended up in an unexpected shmup minigame and won it, well played fate

I'm going for Raiden IV 2-all now, and I'm about to start playing DFK or Mushi seriously.

I'll do my best! If life can stop shitting on me here

I hate racing games. That is to say I suck at them. I suck at puzzle games too but those can at least still be kind of fun sometimes. You know what I kinda suck at shmups too so I guess I dunno. The latter two are still fun but I just don't like/am not good at racing games.

Elder God Tier:
MOSS/Seibu-Kaihatsu

High Tier:
Treasure

Mid Tier:
Yotsubane

Low Tier:
Team Shanghai Alice

Shit Tier:
CAVE

owns bitch:
CAVE

The true last stage of Caladrius Blaze is the most annoying shit I've seen since Stage 5 of DFK

That game boasts a ton of story and stuff. Is that actually the case or was that all talk? (nb4 "story in my shmup etc etc")

yotsubane made one debatably good game

is he a one trick pony? :thinking:

It's got dialogue/cutscenes for all of the bosses and endings, all fully voice-acted, each boss has "shame breaks" for clearing a third of their health in time where their clothes get more and more ripped/torn off ass the fight progresses, and there's a bunch of fan service gallery art to unlock by doing various things.

There's 8ish characters, each with a basic shot and three "element shots" that are on separate buttons that each have a meter that replenishes over time or if you pick up hidden gem items throughout the stages (Some of them have other ways of sustain). You can also customize and swap element shots as you see fit before starting the game once you've played as everyone, so there's a ton of different combinations of element shots, and the element shots are quite varied. Doing damage with element shots fills a meter that generates gems that allow you to upgrade your element shots between stages, which changes their properties and strength.

Two of the three modes have two Raiden-styled missions sandwiched in between the levels, and the ground levels have hidden Sol towers like Raiden as well.

I'm having a great time with it overall.

Stay alive

/shmupg/ you can't die until I break the Casper WR

What are some good patriotic shmups to play for Trump Day?

You bet i do. vidya always has and always will be a secondary evening tier hobby for me.

ye

>What are some good patriotic shmups to play for Trump Day?

space bomber.

>I hate racing games. That is to say I suck at them.

Try learning an isometric like neo drift out, it's a really easy 1cc that is basic memorisation and left right execution without even needing the brake then you can start going for times from there. 3d wise ridge racer 4 is a good easy intro imo. Wipeout xl/3 take a lot of learning on phantom but again easy on lower speeds.

What do you guys think of Blue Revolver?

don't you mean poo revolver?

it seemed decently fun, just got buried under my backlog

>What do you guys think of Blue Revolver?
Looks nice but clearly designed by a low level player who made some massive mistakes. Movement speed is stupid and doesn't relate to the stage design, visually it can be hard to see. The soundtrack is awesome however.

Haven't played it, but it looks really fun for a shmup designed by non-Japanese

How the fuck does Tanaka do it? Cave backgrounds are just too detailed to be handdrawn.

was Pocky & Rocky hard? I don't remember.

>was Pocky & Rocky hard?
come sit on my lap and find out baby.

You say that, but /shmupg/ has been derided before as a bunch of shmup secondaries for not playing at the world record level, and of course yet another player of a high calibre blots out his initials on the scores he posts and just promised not to post any here anymore.

I'd say a month or two... It's "hard" if you're a newbie or purposefully making it too difficult.

>You say that, but /shmupg/ has been derided before as a bunch of shmup secondaries for not playing at the world record level
By who, /shmupg/?

Some guy.

>By who, /shmupg/?

Aquas had a mangina moment on a stream not long ago and called us out adding "those guys better post their scores or i dunno" or words to that effect. Talking of manginas i see Frenetic the fat balding chong with the mmmmhmms and cringe pedo jokes is hosting the next stg weekly which makes it a must watch for banter ammo.

desu that came off as a reference to the post you're scores meme to me

only shitters get mad about being told to post they're scores

Even with Type Z I am unable to clear this game.

Reminder that a clear score doesn't even have to reach 800 million.

Billion, sorry. These numbers are too big.

I know, but when I play purely for survival, I play even worse, somehow.
I'm already too accustomed to my half-assed scoring routes

Practise the EX-Boss like it is your job!

Bumper

Where is Patchy when you need her

Always watching...

Are there even any Australian STG players?

The ex boss isn't really the problem. It's just that I always arrive there with barely a single extend.

It's fun, but the scoring could use some polish, the laser isn't really that good because of the speed of the ship or maybe it's just me.

twitch tv/katase0448
DOJBL

Fuck this pattern!!! REEEEEEEE

well, at least I'm top 10 now

You do have a problem with the EX-Boss if you can't do it with a single extend.

Sure, but it's not my main problem.
My main problem is still stage 4 boss.
Mostly because I always try to milk it.

I see. Type Z should be helping with both, at least.

It definitely does, but I still have to adjust to it. It has a quite different rhythm than Type I.

Nice user. Congrats.

thanks!

>vidya always has and always will be a secondary evening tier hobby for me.
That's casual talk!

i just clear game right now and you take my 10 place, fucker
anyway, too many mistakes in my run, i see potential for 3,7 with my own strats
but not sure i want play typez more

>i just clear game right now and you take my 10 place, fucker
Lol
wasn't my intention, sry

Just played Unlimited... Jesus Christ, how can you beat this mode?
I can't even survive the 2nd stage...

>type-z
did you clear already kraut?

no
still no clear...

afaik it's a lot about bulletcancels

Taking full advantage of the bullet clearing with lock-ons, and a good amount of routing.

perfection

we are even more ded than usual

I just bought a key on G2A for the first time, because I'm sneaky like that.

Everyone is out clubbing. Video games don't matter.

go away

Keep on truckin!

Can /shmupg/ give me some top down run & gun game recommendations? Preferably some hidden gems. Multidirectional shmups like Cybattler would be cool too.

Today's the day of Donald Trump's presidential inauguration so the internet is not the best place to be right now.

I visited /v/ once earlier and it looks like the mods just aren't even there anymore. Complete pandemonium.

where are they then? chilling with trump?

someone stream garage

I can strm touhou practice if you want

The TLB's are the only challenging thing about CCWI.

Why are liberals such bed-wetting whiny faggots? Trump will be a million times better for the US than fucking Obama.

Post your score.

post youre scores

Post you're score

What kind of pathetic excuse for a man can't back up his words?

how many 1ccs could cee get if a cee could 1cc

>Why are liberals such bed-wetting whiny faggots?

Because they are encouraged to think only on emotion and in line with an ideology, they don't possess the critical thinking skills to understand infrastructure or common sense and have been allowed to use emotions and buzzwords to get their own way for years which has now ended. As you would expect from an emotional brain it can't stomach the feeling of losing so we all have to endure this unbelievably childish bullshit as they try to get there way once again exactly how a 5yr old runs crying to mummy and then to daddy but this time daddy says no.

Genesis port of mercs has a stellar original mode.

i dunno, batrider maybe?

>no comfy streams at night
boring