Why do people honk at you to right away if you don't take off within a second at a green light...

Why do people honk at you to right away if you don't take off within a second at a green light? Why do they honk if you're waiting for someone in front of you to turn or for pedestrians to finish crossing? Why do momvans tailgate me and flash their high beams? Are they aware that by blinding me they risk causing a collision?

They are idiots, and so are you if you care and don't just ignore them.

>Why do people honk at you to right away if you don't take off within a second at a green light?
Autism.

>Someone honks at me for not drag launching when the light changes green
>Stall the car on purpose
>"sorry I'm borrowing my mom's car and I'm no good at driving stick yet"

Because city drivers are fucking cocksuckers.

And no one fucking waves here either, not even people in my neighborhood.
Fuck seattle, I miss the south.

Have you considered the fact that these people are actually trying to go somewhere? If the light is green, fucking go. It isn't complicated. What kind of a slow retard down syndrome dumbass are you if you're sitting there when the light is green.

What pisses me off even more is the people that take forever to accelerate to the speed limit. Light turns green, just go. Get up to the limit and go. We are all on the road trying to get somewhere. Why are you being a slow faggot holding society back

They get there half a second later, big fucking deal.

>Have you considered the fact that these people are actually trying to go somewhere?
When people honk right as the light turns green...thats autism.

People rarely honk at each other in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area unless someone is driving dangerously and is about to run into another vehicle.

It was weird going to Chicago to visit my cousin and seeing that everyone up there drove with one hand / finger on the horn at all times and they constantly honked at each other.

the point is that this adds up and results in the cluster fuck of morons that you have populating the roads. everyone is a slow, inattentive, bumbling idiot.

here is a fun fact that you'll appreciate if you're as autistic as me. in theory, when a light turn greens, everyone should be able to move at the exact same time. next time you're at a stop light behind a long row of cars, count the seconds it takes for the person in front of you to start moving once the light turns green. each passing second is just a measure of humanity's demise

AUTISTIC FAGGOT DETECTED

Society should leave 5 minutes earlier so society wouldn't have to drive like retards everywhere society goes.

Why don't you just pass instead of tailgating the person who is going slower and throwing tantrums like a little child or deliberately trying to blind the other driver? I can't imagine what goes through someone's mind when he decides it's a good idea to try to blind the person ahead of him as revenge for delaying his trip to Wal Mart by a second. What scares me is that these drivers aren't crazy alcoholics who live in the projects, these are people who you consider to be normal, well put together family men with cushy office jobs, nice houses in the burbs, families waiting for them at home. And yet when they're on the road and someone doesn't fucking race to the next light, they go completely apeshit in a fast-moving 2 ton metal mass.

Starting to honk exactly when the light turns green doesn't make the cars in front go faster, though. It probably just stresses the driver out and increases the risk of stalling which makes it take even longer.

>my life is so important to the whole of humanity each second that is wasted is a crime against humanity. Thats why I spend all day jerking off to my anime pillow and shitposting on Veeky Forums.

well now you are conflating two different things. i am just a passive autist that silently rages about these things. i don't actually act on them unless i am on my motorcycle in which case i just go around them

i agree though, those people are insane for acting out the way they do, but i can sympathize with their rage

If someone honks or tailgates me I just decelerate and go extra slow.

Ignore them or let them pass you. It's safer, easier, and will make you feel less frustrated.

This. I live near the Los Angeles county border. Driving into LA fucking sucks, but as soon as you cross over into the next county, driving quality improves dramatically.

People like this have major control issues, they have shitty lives, shitty jobs, and feel that they can't change any of this because everything is everyone elses fault. The only power they have is piloting a 3k lb steel box around. When that power is taken away from them for a half second they throw a tantrum. You just have to laugh at these miserable cucks.

Because you're probably dicking around on your phone.

Pay attention you cuck.

quit being a faggot and pay attention to the light. I've missed green lights because of you god-damn idiots playing on your fucking mobile phone

quads of truth

I'm not on a mobile phone, I'm learning to drive manual. It takes me a second to get going smoothly, but if 10 people start honking if I don't take off the instant the light turns green, I panic and stall or over rev the engine as I take off. I've actually stalled less on hills than I have in situations where I just got stressed out by 10 people honking and flashing their lights, throwing tantrums.

git fucking gud, how long does it take to start? releasing the clutch and stepping on the gas happens simultaneously, it should take as long as any autotragic. Are you waiting in neutral and not shifting to 1st until the light changes?

>Are you waiting in neutral and not shifting to 1st until the light changes?
Of course? My foot starts to hurt if I have to keep the clutch pressed.

It only takes a second or two. And you should wait in neutral if you're stopped for a long time but that's not an issue because you can shift to first a little before the light changes.

Jesus fucking christ. Look at the crossing traffic's lights. When they turn yellow, shift into 1st. Then you'll be ready when your own light turns green and you won't be taking up everyone's time sitting there like a retard jerking off your shifter and stalling.

>What pisses me off even more is the people that take forever to accelerate to the speed limit
I just hate it when people take care of their cars

>hating life this much

>taking up everyone's time
If you're in city traffic, which in this situation you most likely will be, it doesn't matter if you go a little slow or lose or gain a couple of seconds. I look far ahead of me to gauge how fast I need to be going. What's the point of flooring your gas and racing to the red light 500 meters ahead instead of just cruising like 10 under the limit and by the time you reach the light, you don't even have to stop? It's city traffic that I always get this shit in and all it is, is impotent rage on the part of the honker/tailgater because no matter what happens, they're not going to reach their destination much faster in heavy traffic with stop lights at every block. But in their minds, they imagine that the extra fraction of a second they lost would make all the difference.

see, the problem you're making (i was guilty of this too prior to realizing everyone is a dumbass and humanity is doomed) is assuming people are smart or attentive enough to notice these things.

Shouldnt you be at work, wagie?

I don't fuck around. When I blast off at a green light or pass someone, I have every intention of making the next green while the person I left behind gets caught as it turns red. That way I demonstrate to them they've made a mistake by being a slow fuck.
You think city driving style doesn't matter because you'll be next to me at the next red anyway? Think the fuck again. I don't get caught in endless reds. I intentionally shift to the company of the lucky few who experience the chain of greens.

Have you considered the fact not everyone drives automatic and not everyone who does sits at a red light with D engaged the whole time

>What's the point of flooring your gas and racing to the red light 500 meters ahead instead of just cruising like 10 under the limit and by the time you reach the light, you don't even have to stop?

Because it can be the opposite, in my city there is a long avenue with "green wave" traffic lights, now they work perfectly when you drive 50 km/h (the speed limit) or even 55 the whole time, you can go through a dozen green lights without a single red. However faggots like you who don't understand the system and crawl at 40 or don't get up to speed fast enough always fucking ruin it for the rest of us.

what I don't understand is why people stay in the middle of the road with their hand sticking out in front of them like that is going to stop me

kek, you're in the road jaywalking in my way, I am allowed to hit you

>TFW never in a hurry and rat racers antics can't phase me

whether or not to use my horn depends on the situation
just last night the light turned green to turn left and 3 cars went on but the car in front of me wasnt going. Turns out the car in front of them must not have been paying attention because a few seconds later they took off then. This would have been a situation to use my horn. Turns out I forgot to put the fuse back in to make my horn work though
By the time the car not paying attention and the car in front of me took off, the light had recognized no cars coming through and i ended up having to sit through the light again
Pay attention assholes, you can always pull over to the side if you need to text that badly.

This. Points for pulling up beside someone going the same speed as you so they cant pass. Fuck tailgaters.

>not taking your time and going extra slow when people start being fucks
My favorite thing to do when I'm being tailgated at night is slowly engine braking to the speed limit and then below until they pass or back off. It's only reasonable, might as well slow down when they create a dangerous situation

>not everyone who does sits at a red light with D engaged the whole time
explain this

you should put it in N if you'll be idling for more than a few seconds

>spewing shit instead of calmly responding back with a good argument
I dont see what else you where looking for op.

Are you aware that you're delaying people by not moving away instantly?

People honk because you are slow. They tailgate you because you're slow. That pedal next to the brake? Use it.

maybe you're just driving recklessly?

really now? I've never heard this

>implying the honk is angry
You're such a sensitive little snowfalke OP. It's because you're on your cellphone or off in lala land that I honk. Just snapping you back to reality.

>People honk because you are slow.

I've had people honk, as I'm moving, approximately 0.2 seconds after the light changes. Like, their reaction time is slow enough that they don't see me moving before the command has come down from on high to honk because the light is green but they're not moving yet.

Some people are just jackasses like that.

I've also had people try to get moving behind me while the light is still red. It's mostly a problem at night, when you can watch the lights for the cross traffic changing. People will see the cross traffic lights to red, start to move, then the turn lanes will go green, they'll stop, the turn lane on our side will go red, they'll try to move again, then when the opposite lanes turn lane finally turns red 15 seconds later, they'll try to move before the 10 cars ahead of them are moving, and then finally they'll get to go. It's not normally too bad, but it's a bit freaky when the car trying to do the moving is a tractor trailer that you know damn well can't see you anymore because they're too close.

You're a fucking idiot if you think traffic should move in one massive bumper to bumper block. Do you understand how fucking retarded that is? People don't go until the vehicle in front has moved far enough away that they can proceed safely without the danger of rear ending them if they even slightly slow down. God damn how hard is that to understand?

No people tailgate because they are retarded.

You can be going 5-10 over the limit and people will still tailgate you or undertake you.

That's why you don't stop at a light 4 inches from the bumper of the car in front of you. Leave a few feet of space, it's plenty enough space to react to someone slowing down suddenly at speeds up to 15-20 MPH. Let the space lengthen as the speeds increase to safe distances by simply not accelerating as quickly as the car in front of you. It's not difficult to do, it's not complicated, it requires just the tiniest bit of thought and attention to do properly, and it helps move traffic through lights far more quickly than a row of cars suddenly punching the gas once the car in front of them is 20 feet away.

But no, people instead take the view that the closer they are to the light, the quicker they'll get through it, so they get as close as humanly possible to the car in front of them, because since they're 3 feet closer to the light, that means they'll get through it faster!

Also, traffic snakes. Lack of following distance results in traffic slowing down simply because traffic is slowing down. One of the most easily avoidable, dumbest fucking reasons for a traffic jam, but it still happens every goddamn day on the way to work. No accidents, no bad weather, no drunk drivers, no one purposely doing 40 under the limit, just a bunch of idiots way too close to each other that makes traffic on the highway suddenly hit 25, then clear up to nothing a mile later.

>1990 Civic hatchback
>looks base as fuck, seller says his only mods are a CD player and a quieter exhuast
>76k miles
>$4000
How much would I be overpaying for a nearly 30-year-old actual shitbox if I went for this?

fuck, meant to post in the Honda general

>But no, people instead take the view that the closer they are to the light, the quicker they'll get through it, so they get as close as humanly possible to the car in front of them, because since they're 3 feet closer to the light, that means they'll get through it faster!

Are people actually this retarded?

No, you need at least two seconds of space between you and the vehicle infront at any speed. Yes you should always leave a couple of feet infront at lights. Generally speaking, you should be able to see their rear tyres touching the road. But if you all move at the same time/speed, then the lead vehicles will need to speed up continuously until there is a safe distance between all vehicles in the column. It would take coordination and communication between all vehicles in the column to pull off. Otherwise the lead vehicles stop accelerating when they reach the speed limit and everyone would be forced to slow down row by row to allow a safe distance infront of them. However, if you wait for the vehicle in front to start accelerating them take off a second later from a slow roll then everyone is assured to maintain a safe distance as well as be able to reach the speed limit at their own pace.

Confirmed nocar
Anyone who's driven knows this to be true

>Otherwise the lead vehicles stop accelerating when they reach the speed limit and everyone would be forced to slow down row by row to allow a safe distance infront of them. However, if you wait for the vehicle in front to start accelerating them take off a second later from a slow roll then everyone is assured to maintain a safe distance as well as be able to reach the speed limit at their own pace.

Not really, no. Mainly because by leaving that extra second, all you're doing is adding one single second of following distance to the car in front of you, which, if you follow your chain of reasoning as to why my way wouldn't work, would still leave you too close to the car in front of you once they reached the speed limit, assuming the speed limit they're accelerating to is greater than about 20 MPH.

What I'm saying is, if you leave space in front of you at a light, you can accelerate in lock step with the car in front of you up to about 20 MPH, at which speed the following distance is now too close to be considered safe. However, 20 MPH is generally enough to get through the light before it changes again, which is the whole point.

At speeds above 20 MPH, safe following distance is achieved by the usual method - you stop travelling at lock step speed with the car in front of you, and allow them to accelerate away from you until they're at a safe distance for you to continue increasing your speed.

Essentially, the way the whole thing works when it's done properly, is that a whole line of traffic goes through a traffic light at 10-20 MPH while still close to each other, but not dangerously so, as they all left sufficient following distance when they came to a stop at the light for speeds up to 20 MPH. Once the line of traffic is through the light, the entire line then slowly accelerates, beginning with the lead car, which reaches the speed limit first, with the cars behind it coming up to speed some time later, having not accelerated as quickly as the lead car so as to obtain a safe following distance.

Essentially, everyone makes it through the light at 20 MPH, then continues going 20 MPH for a while after, then accelerates to the speed limit once the traffic snake has stretched out enough to allow for safe following distances. This is what happens in a perfect world with no idiots.

What normally happens is the lead car guns it, the guy behind him follows suit, the third guy over guns it, has to pound the brakes as they come up to the light to keep from hitting the guy in front of him, which causes the 4th car to brake, which sets off a chain of people violently accelerating and then braking while taking off from a light, which slows the entire line of traffic down and allows far, far fewer cars to make the light. All because they didn't want to leave a bit of space when they stopped.

This is exactly right. You can stop on a dime at speeds that low. People just need to pay attention but it will never happen

I see your reasoning and I misunderstood your origional statement. You are correct in that regard, however, I would love to see this actually tested to see how well it would actually work without coordination between vehicles.

ur a fag

>2017
>not lighting up the tires at every light

Its like you dont even want to fast bro

I honk at people, but I usually count to 3 before I do, if by 3 your foot hasn't even come off the brake then it's obvious you aren't paying attention

Why do you people even use your horns at all?
In this country horns are only used to signal people you are picking up/know, for actual emergencies and by people being pricks to pedestrians.

I love the sound of my horn. I tuned mine to 440Hz (the A note). Plan to get a second horn, possibly two more, so when I honk it will play A minor

That's to protect the throw out bearing in manuals you imbecile. In automatics it doesn't matter because no mechanical parts touch each other, it's all liquid. Automatics are literally made to sit in D at all times unless you need to park or reverse.

>I do 20 MPH over the limit everywhere and you should too: the post

>Let the space lengthen as the speeds increase to safe distances by simply not accelerating as quickly as the car in front of you.
this is responsible for a good part of city traffic jams faggot
stop being a faggot and do not impair the traffic flow in the future

People got shit to do and don't have the time to sit there while you tickle your colon with your thumb, faggot. Get the fuck going.

Maybe my foot is on the brake because I'm clutching out on an incline.

>tfw can count number of times I used a horn on one and a half hands

And because everyone took a second to get going after the person in front of fhem, 3 people who could have made the light be for either turned red didn't.

New Jersey driver detected
Also bait

Lel just finished driving to the beer store and obviously a casual drive downtown couldn't be without incident. As I was making a left turn, a taxi came from behind me and passed me and made the turn, almost causing a collision. He honked at me too. Why are brown people even allowed to drive?

>approaching a 4 way intersection
>light is green but a Honda Accord is sitting pretty right on the crosswalk when there is absolutely no reason to be stopped (no police, no obstructions, no pedestrians at all)
>stop
>honk once
>accord in front does nothing
>honk again
>nothing
>driver in accord gives me a "come here" gesture with his hand
>stay on horn until Accord turns, with the driver flipping me off

Yeah that's retarded. For me the situations are mostly if I stall people freak out and start honking as if that's going to make me go faster. I actually try to be courteous and not obstruct anyone but it's just shitty when people will honk at me for the littlest reason. Like today (the above comment) when I just paused in my turn to let someone cross and then as I continued the taxi driver behind me went psycho and swerved around me almost causing an accident. Of course he gives no fucks because the guy behind him is always responsible and he likely doesn't even own the car he's driving.

I pity the fool who accelerates toward the red light, and as I decelerate toward the red light, I roll right through it as it changes green before I get to it, whilst the driver who accelerated has to take off from 0 mph and build up all that speed again, getting worse gas mileage.

This guy is right live in shit jersey can confirm

Doesn't matter. The driver who speeds to the red light will honk at you and flash his high beams in an attempt to literally kill you for going a little slower.

>be in town
>3 way intersection
>left or right
>going right
>light turns green
>also turns on the crosswalk for the right side
>people walking across, going to be in my way
>lady behind me laying on the horn like it was trying to kill her
>patiently wait for the people crossing
>consider staying put until it turned red again

fucking lmaoing @ this pic

can I save it friend?

>I've never heard this
Because it's false

>tfw never in a hurry because not retarded enough to put myself in the situation which I would need to be

I always count to 6 before starting off after a red light
In my city we have a plauge of red light runners.
Lot of people get mad if you are in the curb lane and are going straight and not turning, screaming, laying on the horn, doing the shrug and point, going straight so fuck off
I always go the speed limit, love the guys that race up or switch lanes hoping to intimidate me, the formula 1 tire warm up shimmy, the on your bumper, drop back, zoom up again, that's when I drop under the limit
Love the creepers who think the light will change if they roll slowly into the intersection, no one will notice and maybe they can scoot across
The gun the engine and burn rubber across the intersection only to be stopped a moment later
The zoom down the turn lane, light turns green and they gun it and whip across the intersection
The people that get so mad they follow you to your work to tell you how you held them up and are making them late
Tell you off, then notice your from and rear dashcams cams and run back to their car
Cut you off at a light to get out of their car to scream at you and your "faggot car" (drive a Smart Car to work) and when you unfold your 6'6" frame out of the car they all of a sudden don't want to tell at you any more

Couple of months back a lifted Dodge Durango was mad that I wasnt going fast enough, in the inside lane of a 3 lane each way road, zooms around cuts me off at an intersection, out of the car with his baseball bat and his kid, gonna fuck me up forever, on the phone to 911, sighted him in with my open carry Ruger Vaquero and watched him wet his pants, he told me to just forget it, I told him to lie down on the ground and wait for the police, he did, first time he'd shut up in the last 5 minutes

>mfw you think minimizing time spent driving is the same thing as being in a hurry

Things that happened

> I told him to lie down on the ground and wait for the police, he did

Not this.

>not treating every stoplight as a drag race

What do you mean it didn't happen? He's clearly a tough cookie and you don't fuck with him or you get sighted. If I were you I'd make sure I'm not getting sighted right now.

Taxi drivers are some of the dumbest people on the planet

>honk at everything
>either drive very slow or fast as if there are no laws on the road
>never give pedestrians the right of way
>haul around fat Mexicans and their kids all day
>always in the way by idling or parking on the road waiting for said Mexicans
>always from some shithole country
Disgusting.

>in manuals
Manuals don't have "D" or the concept of it faggot.

Shifting to N reduces wear on the torque converter. It also reduces fuel consumption and vibrations while idling.

>No, you need at least two seconds of space between you and the vehicle infront at any speed.

Not in rush hour red light to red light traffic.

Seattle has a lot of these anti white male feminist beta libcucks. Screw that place.

>why not pass
brotruck/suv faggots who run rolling roadblocks because nobody dares be in front of them

american needs an autobahn. and german-tier licensing.

What if that isn't an option? What if literally every time I get on the road I have somewhere to be just right now? For example, I deliver auto parts to garages for people like you, who know literally nothing about cars and rely on others to fix them. Now, when a delivery order comes in and I grab the parts and run out the door, how could I have left five minutes earlier? Note there's you, the whiney little bitch sitting in the waiting room, complaining about why it takes so long. Maybe it's because everyone take 3+ miles to go from 0-55mph. Maybe it's the people that sit at green lights waiting for a fucking invitation to go. Perhaps it's the people who sit and stare at a blank empty road for five god damn minutes waiting for a green light to make a fucking right turn. All totaled this adds up to an extra half hour every fucking delivery, because of shit ass drivers who are scared shitless of just going the fuck on.

You're just a fucking faggot. Going from 0-speed limit in under 30 seconds isn't damaging to anything, ever, no matter what fucktard logic you try to shit out. Fucking kill yourself.

You're obviously too stupid to be driving a manual, you're the reason they invented automatics. Stop pretending your boy racer fantasy is real and get a car that suits your needs. I say this because you've posted multiple times ITT about stalling, then crying while people honk at you. Your stalling phase should have ended in the empty parking lot where you learned manual, and if it didn't you're far too stupid to be driving one.

If the green light is one that will only last 5 seconds and you haven't taken off within 2-3 you're obviously not paying attention so I will honk at you. I'm not waiting an additional two minutes because you were on your cell phone or fucking with your radio oblivious to your surroundings.

At a light that lasts longer I'll hold my honk a bit longer but still you don't need all that time if you are paying attention.

Not everyone happens to live in the middle of nowhere in America with empty roads and plentiful "empty parking lots" to practice in. And your statement about "racer fantasies" is projection.

People like you are the reason almost every driver has been in an accident.

What other reason do you have for driving a manual when you're too incompetent to do so? And you don't have to live in the middle of nowhere to have access to big empty parking lots. It's as easy as having the person teaching you drive out of whatever shithole city you have Stockholm syndrome for, and find a parking lot.

Makes sense, considering I've had a total of zero accidents, save for one where I was the back seat passenger as a child and we were rear ended while sitting at a stop light, in over 17 years of driving. Oh wait, no, your post is complete bullshit as my driving style is in no way conducive of causing collisions.

Holding up traffic?
Stay in the right lane and let the other motorists pass.

ITT: retards who can't drive cause daily commute to be a nightmare by stalling everyone, and a few people who don't want to live their lives waiting for red lights to turn green