Been thinking about buying an MR car, but I really don't know too much about them. Redpill me on the Fiero/MR2

Been thinking about buying an MR car, but I really don't know too much about them. Redpill me on the Fiero/MR2.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5_fqWQzpzlU
youtube.com/watch?v=KVBLU1fhqnY
youtube.com/watch?v=fkoEoeSvP_s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1. Manual Supercharged AW11
2. Manual (no targa top) Turbo SW20
3. Look at another brand

Boxster and MR-S are the best affordable ones other ones are on another level of shittiness compared to them

but if youre set on those 2

MR2 hands down no contest

Fieros are garbage compared to the MR2 and cant compete

If you find a car you like, but it. The Toyota will be a better car than the Pontiac, but the Pontiac will probably be cheaper to buy and repair. However the Fiero is more unique with its completely removable body.
Buy the one you like, not what others like.

Me again. There are many body kits available for the Fiero. It might be fun to drive a small replica of another car.

>Fiero is more unique with its completely removable body.

That's interesting, I'm not too crazy about the look of either of them, so I'm gonna try and buy or fabricate box flares on whatever I get. I like the look of the AW11, but it looks pretty week by the numbers, even the rarer supercharged made less than my last car, base 944.

Do some research related to Fiero body modifications and panels. You can probably find a prefabricated body panel that matches what you want. Or for a few thousand you can completely change your Fiero's shell and have a completely different car. A miniature Lamborghini would be a cool toy to have. Even if it lacked performance it would be a fun thing to drive. Plus I'm sure there are performance packages for the Fiero.

>Fieros are garbage compared to the MR2 and cant compete
This must be why the MR2 loses in direct comparisons.
youtube.com/watch?v=5_fqWQzpzlU

The Fiero has slightly lower cornering limits than the MR2.
The Fiero is heavier than the MR2
The Fiero V6 is about as fast as a supercharged MR2. Your butt dyno can't tell the difference.
The MR2 is noisier and less comfortable than the Fiero.
The Fiero is easier to drive and more forgiving.
The Fiero is also the second safest car of the 1980s behind the Volvo 700 series because the spaceframe was so overengineered.
The Fiero's plastic body panels are all removable making it easier to work on/service.
The Fiero is cheaper to maintain because it was a parts bin car that shared so much with other GM cars
The Fiero has enough aftermarket support to make a Honda Civic blush. Any issue you have with the Fiero can be solved with aftermarket support. The MR2 can't claim that.

This. Pic related is a complete body kit you can buy for the Fiero. It's called the Lizardo

so basically its worse as a sports car but people make shitty bodykits for them so its better

and lol at thinking anyone cares about it compared to a Civic

He was comparing the aftermarket options of the fiero to the Civic. There's a lot of off the shelf options for the fiero to upgrade it. The people who instantly say no to the fiero probably just think it's American so it must be garbage. They are a fun car

every car is fun fun is a meaningless word

I say no to the Fiero because its inferior compared to every option that isnt a Porsche 914 or Fiat X1/9

Get a cheap aw11 and you won't regret it. You can get a pretty good one for $2k or less, just watch out for rust unless you have a welder.

I love Fieros, but for godsake if your going to turn it into a replica, the only decent looking kits are the Fi355 kits, no matter what angle you look at the Lizardo it's ugly and gaudy

disgusting

>inferior
In what way? And no shitty meme answers like hurrr durrr it's a burger car

I guess I meant fun as it's a mid rear car and it feels like one, it's not inherently garbage because it was made by Pontiac in the 80's. I wouldn't discredit it as an option because of manufacturer.

>I say no to the Fiero because its inferior compared to every option that isnt a Porsche 914 or Fiat X1/9
stock for stock, yes, but the Fiero is a platform. It is a blank slate to built your dreams on.
It does not take much to have them putting the hurt on serious high dollar sports cars.
youtube.com/watch?v=KVBLU1fhqnY
youtube.com/watch?v=fkoEoeSvP_s

agreed.

This
The engine swaps that are done on these cars are plentiful and overall cheaper compared to other popular tuning platforms in the US
>literally any 60° V6 will fit
>3800SC is a hugely popular swap with tons of documentation
>V8 swaps are common, particularly the 4.9, Northstar, LS4, and other SBCs

Literally any newer engine is a huge step up from the 2.8 which only produced 145hp/165lbft

how is it not

its worse than the MR2 in just about every possible way

every car is a blank slate that you can build whatever you want on

most of them more reputable than a Fiero

>Literally any newer engine is a huge step up from the 2.8 which only produced 145hp/165lbft
granted but back in the day, that was decent power, and they advertised the 2.8L V6 as "high revving". with its 6000 rpm redline. It's nothing nowadays but this was back when most non-exotic performance engines redlined at 5k.

t. Honda Civic driver

Fiero fanboys are apparently going to be the retarded type

go figure

and mr2 fans fight with memes but no facts, go figure.

Fiero fans have literally the same "facts"

>ITS A SHIT CAR BUT AFTERMARKET

that doesnt make the car good

Get an SW20.

I've been daily driving one for the past two years, occasionally tracking it, and it is so fun to drive. Even the non-turbo models are fun.

Snap oversteer is a meme if you aren't autistic. I have only had it happen to me twice, and that was a few weeks after I got it and I brought it to the track for the first time.

we also have sales numbers. The Fiero sold more from 1984 to 1988 than the MR2 did worldwide from 1984 to 2005.

guess what

that doesnt make it better

Fiero was cheap as fuck anyway

They are also incredibly reliable. I have only had to change fluids.

The rest of the work I have done to mine is almost purely cosmetic with a few go fast mods.

Any 25+ year old car is going to be shit, even Toyotas. You're going to be fixing it up because something is guaranteed broken on it.

Explain every possible way when they were near identical performance wise? NVH ratings favored the Fiero, you're just a weeb faggot

I'm not bad mouthing the Fiero, I am bad mouthing that hunk of shit 2.8, it's better than the Duke if you have to buy one and you have a while before you can swap, but for performance per dollar it's better to grab literally any newer 60° or a L67, if I was doing one and money was no object, then a turbo LFX is what I'd do

>I have only had it happen to me twice
but it has happened to you.
Pic related. An MR2 in it's natural habitat

>cheap as fuck
Not price wise or build quality, and I'm talking mechanically

It happened to me on the track while going relatively slow.

I forgot to mention that it was also my first car.

*price wise for the time it was sold

An SW20 is the only car I've seen crashing in real life and not just the aftermath.
It was going into a roundabout backwards, extra style points.

Im not talking about used condition

Fieros were shit from the factory

Fiero

weighs more
bigger
worse brakes
accelerates slower
worse suspension
worse engine
worse interior
worse seats

the Fiero has price and thats it

you were talking sales numbers which has nothing to do with mechanics

>I'm not bad mouthing the Fiero, I am bad mouthing that hunk of shit 2.8, it's better than the Duke if you have to buy one and you have a while before you can swap, but for performance per dollar it's better to grab literally any newer 60° or a L67, if I was doing one and money was no object, then a turbo LFX is what I'd do
I completely agree. But for the time, the 2.8 was good. nowadays, it's underpowered shit.

>weighs more
By about 150 lbs, not an issue
>bigger
Slightly, this is still not an issue
>Worse brakes
How?
>accelerates slower
No
>worse engine
This is entirely subjective, and before you say something stupid like muh fires, that was the iron duke, for one model year, and it was a very small percentage that were affected
>Worse interior
True, but stop being a fag, interior swaps are a thing
>Worse seats
Seriously, stop being a fag

Nitpicking bitch, and I wasn't talking sales numbers that was the other user

>comparing GM with Toyota

noticeably worse in pretty much every category

and nah that 2.8L is much worse than a 4AGE

Good luck with the rice tax, they've been gaining in price

I shall direct your benchracing to a real world comparison posted here
>youtube.com/watch?v=5_fqWQzpzlU

Now quit bench racing economy cars

now this is fact denial and damage control

BTFO

lmao all these desperate and delusional fiero fanboys who think their shit box isnt a total shit box because
>huur it has large aftermarket because its a cheap piece if shit and people like to make it look like different cars!!!

>denial
nope
>damage control
oh no, 2 reviews that looked for 2 different things came up with different results. Guess I'll insult him! That'll make my argument better!

>lmao all these desperate and delusional mr2 fanboys who think their shit box isnt a total shit box because
>hurr they put the Corolla's engine in the wrong place! It's a sports car now guys! I swear!

>performance data doesnt matter!!!
that video even shows the fiero is a slow piece of shit and drives WORSE than the mr2 in every aspect, also includes a heap of bench racing...

fuck off ass blasted fanboy

2.8L is from a shitbox lower than a Corolla
that video shows that the MR2 is better

BTFO AGAIN

>lmao all these desperate and delusional mr2 fanboys who think their shit box isnt a total shit box because
literally copy catting me so btfo!

>2 reviews that looked for 2 different things came up with different results
um no.. both looked at the performance of either car and both said the mr2 had superior performance :^)

Wow. Toyota fanboys are rabid fags.
Your precious Corolla isn't a sports car.

neither is your Celebrity with Chevette suspension thats worse than a Corolla in everyway

>someone says the mr2 is better than the fiero
>fiero fanboys launch into rabid delusion fed frenzy about "M-m-muh body panels are easily removed and replaced!!!!"

damn I never realized MR2s costed that much. In today's dollars it would be $27k for the Fiero and $38k for the MR2

Beware that the model year they showcased in the comparison was an '88
Pontiac finally got everything right, in the last year of production

The issue with earlier years are mainly the camber/caster issues in the rear suspension when driving through fast turns, and steering feel from the front suspension which was borrowed from the Chevette

There's a reason why people will swap the 88 suspensions on the older cars

Fiero is worst in every way, even the AW11 with a stock 4age is better than any Fiero, even with less hp

Also Toyota will be way more reliable, better engine and gearbox, also more likely to be a manual.

the Fiero is a shitty MR2, but its also way cheaper, if you want a car to trash dont go for the MR2, the Fiero will do just fine

In what way is the engine better than the Fiero's? I will admit the 4A is better than the Iron Duke, but that's it

Quit being a sperg, they're both good

no theyre not

only the 4AGE is worth a shit

Why? Because the V6 is cam in block? Fuck off retard

shit power
shit efficiency
shit sound (s)

it doesnt do anything well

>Shit power
It had torque
>shit efficiency
In what way? You saw in the vid it damn near got 30mpg
>shit sound
Subjective, with a proper exhaust they sound great

a whole 170 and its still a complete dog

it gets like 20 mpg combined lmao

yeah thats why I had a (s) and no every American V6 sounds like shit

Fuck off you falseflagger

Fiero fanboys a worst

maybe only Foxbody faggots rival them

but whatever the facts have been posted and there is nothing left to debate

Fiero is shit
MR2 is better

good day sir

Lmao who the hell created this txt trampy subjective rating. The english in the comments indicates it was probably some chink, ovb bias favoring the toyota

It'll catch on fire

you might die

Please shut the fuck up

>Aftermarket support better than the 3SGE

What

I've driven a SW20 an NA one and I thought it was actually fucking terrible. The ass wants to come around worse than an oldschool turbo 911. Who the fuck put an open differential on these thing's the man's a murderer.
Slap 20 years worth of aging on every part in the suspension stiffing it up even worse and you've got yourself an honest to god death trap.

I think fieros and MR2's are both cool as hell since they're cheap, reliable mid engined sportscars.

but I never want fiero because it's an american car.
Let me explain
>buy mr2
>other mr2 owners see you drive an mr2 and instantly become friends, show you their tougay spots, trade aftermarket parts, help you change timing belt
>do time attacks down an hillside

>buy fiero
>american car guys become your friends
>make fun of your manual
>make fun of you losing all the drag races
>2 months later you drive a lifted fiero that rolls coal just so you can fit in

American sports car just has no prestige or class.
It's all cheap shit for rednecks to drag race with
Whereas european sports cars are luxury items for rich and successful and japanese sports cars are for the enthusiast

The SW you drove must have been really abused and had shit tires on the back. I daily my NA SW20 in the rain and have no problem keeping it under control.

All opinions

>all opinions
>everybody is wrong and im right
burger mobiles will always be better for some biased americans, but just for them

pic related
>better than mercedes
okay, but just keep it for yourself

So the fiero is better if you swap out the body, interior and engine. It's that right?

>that disgusting interior

it's what poor people think luxury is like.

there's a reason why the MR2 series is loved around the world and fiero only in america(and even then just because you can make it look like a ferrari)