American or Japanese cars?

American or Japanese cars?

Other urls found in this thread:

digitaltrends.com/cars/nissan-kills-its-radical-gt-r-lm-nismo-hybrid-racer/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

both

There's no denying that the Japs build cars that are very good at being cars. But they're so precise and conventional and soulless that I can't even BEGIN to care about them. Not a single technological innovation, not a single wacky engineering solution, everything always the tried and tested way. I commend Mazda for holding onto the Wankel for so long, but even that one wasn't their idea.

The US does not make/market a truck where I live that has the size, engines and options I want or need

Japan does

south african

Japanese

American cars are boring

>Not a single technological innovation, not a single wacky engineering solution, everything always the tried and tested way
yeah and americans are still making over head valve small block chebbys. ford has only JUST stopped using an ox cart axle in the mustang
and the viper is literally the same as it has been since it was released (except now it has a roof and bigger tires)
fuck off retard

As someone who drives European, I'll give it to Japan

Japanese>German>Korean>Chinese>American>British

You can't accuse America of not trying. A lot of their conventionalism sprung from being an isolated market with financial abundance. But you see honest attempts at trying to stuff sprinkled throughout their history. Cord, Tucker, Corvair, list goes on. They invented the SUV and the minivan. And now they've basically kickstarted the electric car hype by themselves with Tesla.

Meanwhile the Japs built cars for the entire world (apart from their kei cubes) and they STILL ended up boring and conventional. Every bit of tech the Japs ever used had been adopted from someone else who tried it out first.

It is impossible to have this discussion on Veeky Forums because of the incredibly passionate weebs on this board

*trying new stuff

Also even if American cars are technologically boring, at least they look fucking cool.

Mazda hcci next year

>A lot of their conventionalism sprung from being an isolated market
America, and isolated market? and not japan? TOP KEK
lets not forget who put a shit load of trade restrictions on japan in an era when most nations were making massive leaps in manufacturing :^)
>1940
>no japan you are NOT ALLOWED to import 86 octane or higher gas!!

You are fucking clueless

Neither i pick german

Why can't American cars be as reliable as German or Japanese cars?

>They invented the SUV and the minivan

wrong

Europe did both

>Meanwhile the Japs built cars for the entire world (apart from their kei cubes) and they STILL ended up boring and conventional

I dont think you know how to run a business it would be stupid to try and innovate constantly

guess Japan never did the whole VTEC, Hybrid, and gas direct injection either

oh and Nissan made the first "modern" electric car and then the Leaf was the first global one

Japan went from being completely fucked to running the automotive world in like 30 years

OHV V8 rwd car?

neva been done befo

that looks like shit

looks like someone was bitten by an american grumpy bug

>1940
>mattering
All involved nations were far too caught up in the war to care about innovations in cars. Apart from a few minor things like the XK120 and the botched Tucker very nearly nothing happened car-wise in that decade. Even the economically stricken '30s delivered more technological advancements in cars. Both in Europe and in the US most manufacturers simply resumed pre-war production after the war pretty much up until 1950 (plus minus a year or two).

Japanese cars, no contest.

Even american brands like Ford needed to partner with Mazda to learn how to make good engines for small cars.

The Japanese didn't make a car that fit the criteria I had when I bought a car.
I'd have loved a Supra but they're too expensive.
240's are trashed and slow.

>The Lohner-Porsche Mixte Hybrid (sometimes wrongly referred to as Löhner-Porsche) was the first hybrid vehicle developed by Ferdinand Porsche. First prototypes were two-wheel drive, battery-powered electric vehicles with two front wheel hub-mounted motors. A later version was a series hybrid using hub-mounted electric motors in each wheel, powered by batteries and gasoline-engine generator.[1][2]
1900. As I said the Japs only take other peoples' ideas.

just like everyone who has made a car since 1885 who isnt Karl Benz

>1940
>mattering
Okay, I can stop taking you seriously now

>Apart from a few minor things like the XK120 and the botched Tucker very nearly nothing happened car-wise in that decade
Jeep. Please stop posting

You think americans who have been using the same forumla for 50 years, ohv v8 and ox cart rear axle is "technological innovation and a wacky engineering solution"..
FUCKING
KEK

I'd buy a Nihon car any day over a GM or a ferd

Yep... Toyota totally copied that thing with the prius.

Wrong. You're generalizing and exaggerating so that you can take credit away from European and American engineers and inventors.

i buy gook cars over all those domesticals, much better built

>As I said the Japs only take other peoples' ideas
Wrong. You're generalizing and exaggerating so that you can take credit away from Japanese engineers and inventors.

If toyota copied the a shitty 1900s porsche hybrid with their prius
Then Duryea Motor Wagon Company copied Karl Benz :^)

Both the Europeans and the Americans had experimented with hybrid drivetrains for decades by the '90s, Toyota merely beat them to the release. And aero wasn't a completely new idea either.

Don't mind me, just being the company that Invented modern QMS and ushered in modern manufacturing as we know it

>americans and europeans fail to do anything
>the /isolated/ japanese come along with zero influence from outside world and manage to successfully do what america and europe had been trying to do for a century
lmao thanks

>americans are still making over head valve small block chebbys

There's a market for them. like how Toyota and Mercedes still make the G-wagon and the Century. do you just want them to drop a product that is in demand/still selling? they have other engine options like their DOHC V6s.

>ford has only JUST stopped using an ox cart axle in the mustang

But the last gen mustang was competitive and would beat Z cars whilst approaching M3 performance. speaking of which the Z is in need of an update.

>the viper is literally the same as it has been since it was released (except now it has a roof and bigger tires)

The funny thing is people wanted the new NSX to be the same car it was in the 90s and they blame Honda of America for making it different and something new for Honda.

Japanese because fuck domestics

Japanese cars are a necessary evil in America.

Just like slavery.

>a soulless 4 banger is less boring than a V8 with excess power
lol your butthurt is showing

Japan
>Godmachine, Miata, WRX, EVO that haven't been sold yet, some Lexus F, Alphonse mobile, 370z
America
>Corvette, mustang, Camaro,e-class from the 90s, cts-v
The good stuff from America isn't competing with Japan anyway. Unless you non ironically consider a muscle car without a v8.
But if I want a normal car that just work I would take a Japanese car.

the irony

>Unless you non ironically consider a muscle car without a v8.

Why not? V6 Camaros and Stangs perform well and since they don't hold their value as well as the V8 (which also don't hold value because they make so many of them) you now have a cheap RWD performance platform that could be turbo'd to shit or engine swapped. i have a feeling that 10 or 20 years from now the V6 and 4 cylinder Camaros will be like the cheap F-body and Fox platform cars in god-tier mode.

Toyota introduced the GT86 as a affordable platform meant for aftermarket and people are expecting it to be the new S-chassis but honestly because of how many Camaros and Stangs there are they could be a better deal on the used market than the GT86 could.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Turning a V6 pony car into a serious performance car is more than just a turbo or engine swap away. Most V8 trims include a lot more than just the engine. Just as an example, a V6 F-body didn't have an LSD and IIRC only had a 5-speed manual instead of a 6-speed.
Most V6 cars (in general) also have narrower wheels and inferior suspension for spirited driving.

How about Japanese cars with American engines. The best of both worlds

gross

In all seriousness though V8 Supras (be it LS, Modular, or UZ) are pretty damn good. they don't have the meme powers to generate 1000 HP and still be reliable but as far as track performance they are good. Supra is probably the only one i can think of that you might want to seriously swap (assuming you have a Supra with a blown engine or a NA one) beyond doing it to miatas and GT86s for shits and giggles or "insane-deadly power to weight ratio bro!".

>inb4 i accidently open a can of shitstorm that i don't want to open

>sure you don't have the better horsepower and reliability that the original engine gave you, but replacing it with a worse engine is still cool
What

yeah I dont see the point of V8 swapping a working 2JZ car

NA-T would be better

if you have a blown engine then go for it

>LS3's with any form of forced induction aren't memepower w/ acceptable reliability

What are you talking about?

>spoon and egg races
reminder that nissan has never won le mans

Other way around and you'd be closer.

>ecocuckboost gt
slower than naturally aspirated nissan v8s at le mans
heck, even slower than a broken fwd nissan at le mans!

>inb4 damage control and goal post moving

>different classes
really made me think

>nissan leaves le mans
digitaltrends.com/cars/nissan-kills-its-radical-gt-r-lm-nismo-hybrid-racer/
lmfao they have admitted they can't even compete
will nissan ever recover from this?

>street car vs race car
really clonks the ol' bonker

something about Americans valuing cheap manufacturing and large profits over quality engineering. Planned obsolescence, made-in-china, etc.

>durr more cylinders
>muh vee ate

TOLD.

Both.

Japs make better utilitarian family cars. Americans provide more bang for your buck.

European car with a japanese engine.

Japanese.

Japa

>Europe invented the SUV
Wrong.

> Lets take something tried and true that is more reliable than anything else out there and easy to work on, Over complicate it to give it "soul" and use "technological innovative" parts to make it more expensive and harder to work on.

If it aint broke don't fix it you fucking homo.

I'd say the opposite

That's a station wagon.

>240 is slow

If you expect straight line performance. Go buy a shitty stang.

>2 speed transfer case
>solid axles front and rear
In what way is it not an SUV?