Why did manufacturers stop making lightweight 4 cylinder pickups?

Why did manufacturers stop making lightweight 4 cylinder pickups?
Will they ever come back?

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/davidkiley5/2016/11/30/obamas-epa-moves-to-firm-up-fuel-economy-regs-before-trump-takes-office/#67b8e3278a62
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>chicken tax
>fuel economy requirements
>liberals ruining everything

they didnt

rest of the world still has them

Americans never buy them so why waste time trying to sell them here

Japanese companies have factories in the US so chicken tax means nothing

Detroit protectionism turned into laws so they can continue selling their pigfat giant pickups.

No we don't. All modern pickups are pigfat and bloated

yeah no

you still get small ones relative to the US

nothing is as small as they used to be

All modern vehicles are. It's not isolated to pickups.

If you want an old small pickup, buy an old small pickup and stop waiting for the world to deliver a brand new one to you.

Because big business forced the government to take away your freedumbs and ban them so they could continue to make big pickup trucks and force people to buy them.

Maybe...

they haven't

while the current Hilux certainly isn't as small as the older hilux's it is still not a landbarge.

plus it has a great 2.7 4 cylinder with a hefty 5 speed.

if you dont like that then look at chinese and indian pickups. The Tata Xenon and Mahindra Pik-up are both quite small in the 2 door forms and come with 4 cylinder diesels.

They should. Car companies finally realized that not every painter and exterminator needs a van with a V8 capable of hauling 4000lbs worth of stuff and started selling pic related. I don't see why they can't do the same with pickups.

They'll make a comeback soon when gas prices average $5 a gallon

Because of the chicken tax. A small pickup would have to be sold worldwide because the USA alone wouldn't sustain it, unlike Tacomas etc. which Americans actually buy. Those Ford transits get around the chicken tax by being built with a full interior+windows in Europe, shipped to the US, removing the interior and replacing the glass with sheet metal. Would be harder to find a workaround for a pickup.

nice
but it makes me miss the hilux

hopefully they import the 4 cylinder Hilux I posted and people find out it only gets 18mpg on average in manual trim... unloaded

mmm low geared high output 4 cylinders.

>makes you miss the hilux, landcruiser pictured. >4500 bi-turbo v8 diesel
>small.
>also $80 000AUD

the diesel gets 28mpg (us mpg) combined
and the gas gets 22mpg (us mpg) combined

>18mpg
you are fucking stupid.

Because they stopped selling.
No.

Detroit doesn't care if they sell you pigfat or toy trucks. All they care about is selling trucks. Trucks are pigfat due to safety standards.

>72hp
That's fine in India where you can't go over 10mph in crowded streets anyway but that wouldn't fly in the US. Life is different.

>Car companies finally realized that not every painter and exterminator needs a van with a V8 capable of hauling 4000lbs worth of stuff and started selling pic related.
The Astro was around long before that.

I just paid $1.48/g. Only reason gas got above $3.00 to start with is OPEC artificially inflating the price and the US trying to import most of it's oil instead of drilling it's own.

have you driven one? good luck getting 22mpg combined especially with a load.

Unfortunately the 70 series landcruiser has become the brotruck of austraila. It's a shame because they're genuinely useful. But now they're ego wagons where people park chintzy SUV wheels and vertical exhaust stacks

you can leave anytime, prince abdul

forbes.com/sites/davidkiley5/2016/11/30/obamas-epa-moves-to-firm-up-fuel-economy-regs-before-trump-takes-office/#67b8e3278a62

"The 2025 standards seek to slash greenhouse gas emissions and boost fuel efficiency to an average of more than 50 mpg for each automaker"

What fucking vehicle can you buy that make 50mpg AT ALL let alone your entire lineup averaging it.

Weve got 8 years to make a jump in fuel efficiency that has never been achieved before

Yes I have
You are clueless as f

as an Aussie, I'm aware. I still would love a troopy but can't justify that cost when a Dmax would still have more abilities than I would fully use.

I would really love a fully kitted out mid range Dmax as my next car for some offroad camping or caravan trips.

>ls-m 4x4 manual starts at $45kish, auto is 42 drive away, fuuuu
>manual + bumpers, protection, snorkle, skid tray, bed liner + floor mats is $49K plus on roads

still better value than the hilux that in the same tier starts at 50.

I can push 70mpg on my suzuki but the average is still 47, not even 4 cylinders, feel like I will die every time I drive on the highway.

Gas in the US got cheap for a while, people started buying bigger trucks. Auto makers liked it because trucks are simple and have less strict regs, so they can make a huge truck and sell it for a large profit margin compared to a car of the same size engine or quality. Now trucks are some kind of faggy status symbol so every highschooler drives his dad's truck while fanatasizing about how easy it would be parking mom's car.

Don't get the auto, it's bloody awful. Also why are you buying brand new?
>pretty unchanged production run since early 2000s
>good for higher mileages
>due for a major update soon anyway

Let someone else eat the 50% depreciation

Geo Metros

>Detroit doesn't care if they sell you pigfat or toy trucks. All they care about is selling trucks

they seemed to care when import trucks were outselling locally made stuff, hence why they lobbied to keep the chicken tax in effect/upgrade the chicken tax and ban light pick-up trucks altogether.

Hilux? Nivara? Triton? Bt50? Ranger?

wagons with 4 ft beds are not small pickups

you can get them in 2 door cab chassis as well...

I'm not going to get the auto, and I'd be looking at demo or new because I have an awesome ability to buy used and obtain lemons, even with inspections.

Plus I'm pretty OCD with cars, so anything more expensive than my 12K new suzuki will be obsessed over body wise. My Suzi thankfully being so cheap new hasn't given me heart attacks from the amount of carpark dings and dents that you expect from city parking.

>liberals ruining everything
If that was the case then full sized pickups for personal use would be mostly taxed out of existence, kinda like in Euroland

You can buy 3 of these (not the mitsi) as a single cab

>they seemed to care when import trucks were outselling locally made stuff
That has nothing to do with size. That's related to country of origin and related manufacturing costs.

>ban light pick-up trucks altogether.
If you seriously believe this, then you're fucking retarded. There's still plenty of light pickup trucks. They aren't as light as they used to be due to safety regulations. That's on the government, not Detroit. Detroit wants to keep manufacturing and R&D costs down, so those safety regs are hurting them. They're not as underpowered and incapable as they used to be because no one in the US buys 72hp trucks with a 1000lb payload and 3500lb max towing. That's not due to Americans wanting huge brotrucks, that's due to a different landscape and different way of life. Where a truck might be expected to drive 1000lbs of material two and half miles at an average 10mph to a job across the village in some third world shithole, a truck in the US is often expected to pull 5-10 times that much hundreds of miles at 60-80mph.

The fuel economy requirements were attempting to do that...

I haven't looked into them for a while, but i thought they did, with the 4 cylinder petrol?

the tradie specials

Tax exemptions increase as a vehicle gets bigger. Consumer demand wants bigger trucks as well.

So the Government doesn't incentivize them and consumers don't desire them.

(USA btw)

Is there an exemption for trucks under 8600lb GVWR?

Cars are too damn pigfat to even come close to that these days, your average subcompact will weigh like 7,000 lbs in 2025 because of "MUH SAFETY"

they sure tried. the issue is that large pickups and large SUVS are held to different standards.

so it becomes an issue of a small pickup being worth the same at the end of the day, as the large pickup, so theres no reason to have the small one.

maybe if trump succeeds in getting the auto industry to slash regs, we might see them come back

Sort of, but they could have tried to tax them out of existence with displacement taxes and such but as far as I know that was never a consideration.