Call someone explain to me why this was a good idea?

Call someone explain to me why this was a good idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1_jEe7UBc
youtube.com/watch?v=TNPx8jKX1fA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Belvedere
youtu.be/qCK7N2SgJjE
youtube.com/watch?v=mYDfCYt-oLA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It could've been a good idea if it hadn't been for the usual short sighted American thinking and shoddy workmanship.

Oh boy, who could've known that water may penetrate an underground concrete structure in the course of half a century?

what are we looking at here?

Not even concrete
Nigga just put it in a hole in the ground.

It's also the courthouse lawn

50 years of sprinklers

Apparently that car belonged to Elvis Presley.

The walls are actually concrete though. Still a dumb fucking idea.

your mom's colonoscopy

youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1_jEe7UBc

yay...

The best part was the person who won it had been dead for years and his sisters did not want it. so a guy who sells a "rust removal" snake oil product bought it like he was going to use his snake oil on it to repair it, years latter he said it didn't work.

They knew it was leaking but decided to honor the time capsule anyway.

It didn't work because there isn't a molecule of non-rust

Jesus man

youtube.com/watch?v=TNPx8jKX1fA

any one who has used that shit knows it only works on surface rust and you might as well use a wire wheel

And nothing of value was lost

The fact that it hasn't dissolved after being soaking in muddy water for 50 years is a testament to super Chrysler construction.

>jackstands on casters
What could possibly go wrong?

cars usually dont crumble from a little water

hell this one was thrown in a lake and sat there for 75 years and its from the 1920s

Yes because they were built good back then

it's Miss Belvedere.
A town back in 1957 had a contest. Contestents would guess what the population of their town would be in 2007. The entries and a (then new) 1957 Plymouth Belvedere were then sealed in a vault and buried underground.
That pic is when they opened the vault in 2007.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Belvedere

lol

How much did these things cost back in the day? They were used as cop cars so i don't think they were that grand.
Thats just so incredible, setting up a lame event that pays off seven years after the turn of the century just for a shitbox for your kids. I couldnt even imagine where the auto industry is going to be in 50 years, fuck.

>A large number of items were placed inside the trunk and glove box of the Miss Belvedere. A partial list of items included a five-gallon container of gasoline, a case of motor oil, a case of Schlitz beer, an unpaid parking ticket, a bottle of tranquilizers and items that were considered typical contents of a women's purse.
What the fuck. This entire thing is so fucking dumb it's unreal.

>Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff

>How much did these things cost back in the day?

according to my book

>Belvedere 2-Door Sport Coupe Hardtop, 6-p. P30-3 $2,349

thats base no options of course

According to the westegg inflation calculator, that's $20340.03 today.

yeah its not complete shitbox tier for the time a mid range car

>base Plymouth
>not a shitbox
It would have had a flathead six and a three speed. No power brakes or steering. It would have been pretty shitty by even 1957 standards

This is what it would have looked new. Tulsa also entombed a Plymouth Prowler in 1998. Although they did it above ground

The whole Tulsa time capsule thing made me kinda mad. I found it interesting, though when they found that 1984 Iroc Z in some random trailer untouched. Pretty much an accidental time capsule.
youtu.be/qCK7N2SgJjE

let's get to the real question:
what car would Veeky Forums choose to (properly) time capsulate for 50 years?

its not really

its priced around the same as a Bel Air and Fairlane 500 and was in a similar vain

by time you added a V8 and those options it would be $2,635

the Plaza was the shitbox which started at under $2,000 and would be with the Custom and 150

Nice one.

Porsche 911R
Porsche Cayman GT4
Mazda Miata

nothing modern would withstand 50 years anyway you did it

Explain with concrete evidence and proper explanation. Because objectively cars are nicer these days - in build and features. People replace them due to wanting something flashier or whatever.

As far as I know the only issue would be gaskets and what not which are designed with the engine being run in mind.

If museums can preserve pieces of art created a thousand years ago I'm sure car manufactured with the knowledge of today could be locked away for 50 years just fine, with minimal if any work needed upon retrieval.

Actually, modern metal alloys, paint and rust prevention mean the shitboxes of today will physically last longer than anything produced back then.
The idea that "old cars were built better" is a boomer meme and another example of the older generation's unwillingness to learn or understand new things. The misconception that new cars aren't as tough comes from a complete misunderstanding of vehicle safety or physics. People who believe things like this also tend to believe that seatbelts and airbags are inherently dangerous despite overwhelming scientific and practical proof.
Wouldn't be surprised if they thought the world was flat and all speed limits are 55mph too.

Yeah but any of the base model low priced big 3 in the 50s regardless of trim level would have had the same mechanicals. My point is that most people wouldn't have ordered a stripped out Belvedere or Fairlane 500. They would have taken the step down to the regular Fairlane and gotten the options they wanted. I'm well aware of the pricing of 50s American cars

That Belvedere was partially subemerged in 4ft of water for 50 years. Anything would have deteriorated after that long.

I cannot believe that there are people who actually believe that in a crash you're better off in something made in the 60s than any modern shitbox. How can one not understand crumple zones?

I have a friend who legitimately believes every car made before 1980 was 'made out of titanium'

>It would have had a flathead six
No, Slant Six had finally phased the flathead out by this time.
Belvedere was one of the higher priced Plymouths.

>three speed
Funny because they weren't offered with 3 speed manuals, only 3 speed autos.

yeah and my point is that the Belvedere wasnt a shitbox (unless you bought a stripper one for whatever reason I guess)

>I cannot believe that there are people who actually believe that in a crash you're better off in something made in the 60s than any modern shitbox. How can one not understand crumple zones?
While most are death traps for the occupants the car will probably come out with extremely minor damage against modern traffic.

The slant six wasn't even produced until 1959. There was a 2 speed auto available that year I believe
Yeah but someone earlier in the thread introduced the base price. I acknowledge the fact that most Belvederes would have not been strippers.

>No, Slant Six had finally phased the flathead out by this time.

nope

base engine for a 1957 Belvedere was a 230 flathead 6 and a 3 speed

yeah that was me like I said I have a book with this shit in it

and yeah they had 2 speed and 3 speed autos

>The slant six wasn't even produced until 1959.
My bad
Anyway Coronet>Fury

>a 3 speed
Base was a 2 speed auto.

Is it a Plymouth specific book? Or is it something more general?

>Base was a 2 speed auto.

even wikipedia says otherwise

> A manual transmission was standard with the push-button two-speed PowerFlite optional and the push-button three-speed TorqueFlite automatic also optional on V8 cars.

its a book on American cars theres 2 of them 1946-1959 and 1960-1972

has prices shipping weight some options and dimensions on most cars I think

>even wikipedia says otherwise
Look to the right of that sentence,
snip where it shows a manual transmission was offered.

where it says auto were options?

I have yet to see any 1957 belvedere with a manual.
Unless there's a citation, i won't believe it.

S = standard

Oh, so it's the Fury packages that got 3 speed manuals.
Sorry you didn't mention it.

Can you not read?

I don't trust your book since every other source i see makes no mention of a manual tranmission available in 3rd gen Belvederes.

are you pretending to be stupid

Savoy, Belvedere, and Suburbans as coming standard with a flathead 6 and 3 speed

the Fury came standard with the Power Pak and 3 speed

so your contradicting Wikipedia article is more valuable than researched publications

Allpar mentions the manual
Hagerty mentions the manual
Rockauto has it on their site that it exists
the Service manual has it

damn dude what more do you want admit your wrong and carry on

fuck you man, I know im right and thats all that matters.

Your probably some transgendered freak.

>damn dude what more do you want
I've been trying to get you into a position where i can shout DEEZ NUTZ and it would make sense but you're too even-tempered for it to happen.

Im just autistically stubborn famalam

unless Im shitposting I remain cool

i kekd

1 owner classic car for sale! Light Surface Rust!!! Great for project car!

oblig ran when parked

its hilarious when you read this post and then read about modern Mazdas having rust repairs before they roll off the dealer lot.

I picture some fat neckbeard typing this all out then discovering his brand new lease (insert your least fave brand here) economy car has to be towed to the shop for the third time to replace a sensor.

museums don't lock paintings away for preservation, they handle, clean, inspect and repair them continuously.

putting a complex piece of machinery away and not touching/using it is a death sentence.

No lowballers or tire kickers. I'm not in a hurry to sell. I know what I got.

the actual cupholders in a berlingo aren't much better, I don't know what the frogs were thinking

There's over 1000 trucks sunk in the lake here during ww2, and a few of them have been fished out and restored to working condition using original frames and engine blocks.

That's actually pretty smart, if the capsule got flooded, the car would float

>cherrypicking examples

I bet you couldn't go outside and find an American car without any rust on it.

You mean like how rotten eggs float so you know what eggs not to take?
Pretty smart.

It was a boat reference but that works too

There were 3 speed manual 3 on the tree cars. One of the surviving stunt cars from the 1983 movie "Christine" was a 3 speed manual Belvedere made to look like a Fury.
youtube.com/watch?v=mYDfCYt-oLA
There were manuals.
Deal with it.

That's some hardcore paint

That one apparently sunk into some loose peat at the bottom that preserved it. Usually they raise them in significantly worse condition.

>"When trucks sank in shallow waters, the headlights continued to glow faintly under the ice for a long time. The drivers nicknamed those "fireflies".

> In line with the Cold War realities of late 1950s North America, the concrete enclosure was advertised as having been built to withstand a nuclear attack.[6] The enclosure, however, was not airtight and allowed water to leak in, which caused significant damage to the vehicle.

toppest kek

>American engineering

Europeans prefer small PET bottles that you can close again instead of cans or paper cups, that's what these holders are meant for.

Nevertheless it's still a fucking stupid idea to make them horizontal like that.

Americans are so retarded, they put glass jugs of gasoline in the trunk of that thing, thinking gas has a shelf life of 50 years and would be obsolete in 2007.

Jeez man that thing must stink

Fifty years of sitting water? Fuck lol

Old leaded gas had a really long shelf life. It's only the new crap that goes flat in a year while eating your car from the inside.

>ran last time it was parked
>no tire kickers
>I know what I got
>priced with any issues in mine
>30million, no low ballers

But what does it look like out of the bin and wrapping?

after someone spent $20,000 (twenty thousand united states dollars)

thank you for posting this. really wanted to know what it looked like now. pretty BA imo.

someone needs to flat clearcoat the car and put it running/driving again with some fresh white letter or white wall tires