Which 90s Japanese sports car would be the most practical and reliable car to use as a daily driver...

Which 90s Japanese sports car would be the most practical and reliable car to use as a daily driver? Would any of them even be practical?

Is there a cut-off point when it comes to mileage? Would it be wise to consider a Silvia or Prelude that have 120k+ miles?

id go with a nsx. just a v6 nothing special

I forgot to say *cheap* Japanese sports car.

define cheap bro.

>fwd
>sports car

come on son

that said a Prelude would be better than any S chassis as far as reliability goes

miata

Integra gsr

$4000 max

can get a nice miata

Acura Integra GS-R

Preludes can last +200k miles pretty easily. Don't know much about s-chassis cars but at least in the states they're have pretty riced taxed. You can find a nice prelude for half the price of a s13

It would be hard to find a good GSR for 4k but I second the Integra

civic for 3k, 1k on tires and go fast parts

Preludes are great I had a Gen 4. pic related but white. there is only a few things to understand

>4ws models have the expensive computer that can go bottom up, if you enjoy wrenching maintaining the rear end is fine though
>engines are great and cheap to replace if you blow a lower end one
>unfortunately owned by ricers or habibs in my area, so I ended up with one that had never had an oil change and it seized the cam (oil light was busted)
>turning circle is the moon unless you have 4WS then it is just texas

Not OP but are these cars generally reliable? I'm a student in Canada looking at one for a first car. I would usually just use the bus but I'd like a fun car that's reliable enough to drive maybe 75km (~50 miles) on each week.

People have told me to get a miata before but I have friends, 2 seats won't do.

This
I deliver pies in mine and even after premium and Vtec tax (gotta waste gas in the high RPMs because Vtec yo) and still save about 1500 a month
I payed 5k for mine after all the various fees. Stock, 115k when I got it, has 122 now.
I've payed about 300 dollars in basic maintenance (thermostat, radiator cap, gas cap, and oil changes/top offs)
Preludes are pretty slick too but harder to find than even a GSR integra

And even the Coupe has adequate space for your groceries (but not people, even my 135 lb ass has trouble fitting)

if you have friends, a prelude isn't for you my friend. The seats in the rear are just for show. Technically it is a 4 seater, but good luck getting anyone that actually has legs into the rear seats.

the rear is basically just for midgets without shins.

I don't care if they're comfortable or not, just need to be able to legally put people in it.

Rear seats in this era of Japanese coupes are mainly symbolic

Then yeah. Theyd prob bitch and moan though

Are they really that bad?

I'm sure there's a lot more room than a civic or Integra

This.

Ever thought about one of these OP? Decent ones can be had for around your price point, lots of potential for mods and swaps, pretty easy to work on and parts are plentiful. Just double check to see if the headgaskets have been done before anything else

The only JAP sports cars I can think of are the 300zx, MR2 and the NSX.

you seem to forget what a sports car is.

You narrow your options severely when you say sports car. There are lots of options for fun cars that can be had for cheap. The Nissan Maxima with a manual comes to mind during in that year range. Maybe a Mazdaspeed protege (2003)? Miata? Might be an old Toyota Supra lying around. I would say the Celica but they just look fast. Should really just search for cars near you in your price range on Craigslist, Autotrader or cars.com and see what looks like something you would enjoy driving.

Why didnt they makes these in RWD. They would be perfect in my mind. I dont want a s2k, I think they look terrible compared to a lude.

Pizza pies?

Yep

Cheap
Reliable
Sports car

choose 2

just about everything japan put out in the 90s was fairly quick, light as a feather, reliable to a t and cheap as dirt now unless it's a supra or something collectible.

not all of them are "sports cars", but they're all fun to run the shit out of.

my pick for you would be to look for a 3rd gen integra because that's what i like.

if you luck out and find a GS-R they were putting out like 170 hp with something like a 2500lb curb weight

Probably a Soarer?

>Is there a cut-off point when it comes to mileage? Would it be wise to consider a Silvia or Prelude that have 120k+ miles?- 31 posts and 5 image replies shown.
Milage is pretty much a non issue this point it depends entirely on how the car is treated, most of them are 25+ years old now and already on their 1st/2nd engine rebuild and probably a 3rd+ clutch.

The ones that survived are the ones that where looked after.

If its too good to be true it probably is.

[bumping don't be afraid by Aaron hall while playing as a nigger in 1992 in a fictional location based on southern california intensifies]

I see them all the time and they're usually not that beat to shit but they're all over 200k miles.
There's one locally for sale right now with 400k on the clock.

What? did quality really drop so much inbetween the 80's and the 90's?

Everything we have is still on its first everything

No, it's because the first thing you do with your car to make it faster and jdmtyte is a JDM engine swap because they're cheap and make better power than their USDM equivs.
Factor in a cheap aftermarket and you have more kids who can afford to blow their engine instead of doing I/H/E and wheels and deciding on a cheaper hobby

Just stay away from the SS trans on the prelude.. its a great car. very reliable with routine maint.
preludeonline.com for all your questions.

Dont even bother doing aftermarket.. the computer will just keep nulling anything you do unless you go turbo / or SC... but your crazy to do that on 120k+ car.

I would put a upper & lower tiebar. I loved my lude.