Tell it to me straight:

Tell it to me straight:
I really want to buy an RX-8 but every time I look at ads for them I squirm unless it's less than $2000.

I figured out, I'm assuming that every single car, regardless of the mileage, regardless of the price point, will need a new engine installed the second I buy it, and for buying a lemon there's no reason to pay $7000 for something that will crap itself within a day or two.

Am I being unreasonable?

Well that is the struggle you get for wanting an RX8, You could get one with a great engine that has been maintained, or one that is just shit. My advice is this, get they later model 09+ because they addressed a lot of the issues the earlier ones had (oil lubrication). To weed out the shit boxes or the soon to be shit boxes do a COMPRESSION TEST before you buy. Look up healthy Rx8 compression and see if it is in the ball park. If not, then skip to the next one.

You are an uninformed idiot. Don't buy one, because you clearly havent done your research and if you can't even do that this car is not for you.

Wait this is just shitty bait isn't it.

Also sorry for the tripcode, forgot to take it off after /osg/

You should get an RX-7, not an RX-8, and I don't say that because of the whole reliability meme associated with the latter. I say that because the RX-7 is a far more iconic model that will better maintain its collector value down the road. It's like buying a MX-5 Miata. No one buys a NB or a NC. There is no point. You get the NA.

>No one buys a NB or a NC
Except for the hundreds of thousands of people who did

This thread is relevant to my interests, carry on

Dont you mean 06+ models? What exactly did they do to the 09 ones?

Uninformed idiot, huh you namefaggot fuckface? You wanna fucking tell me I don't know shit about this car?
You wanna tell me I'm ignorant of the fact that the 2004-2005 (and the 2006-2008 to a lesser extent) models have issues with administering the correct amount of oil? You want to tell me that the average consumer isn't a fucking retard who doesn't even know what oil IS half the time, much less that it needs changing regularly?

You want to tell me that the average car buyer understands the intricacies of the rotary engine, and that it needs the proper care and respect to keep running past 60k miles as it should without needing a replacement?

How about you get your smug self-superiority and shove it up your gaping ass, faggot. I know the car, I've talked with 10+ owners, I've driven several of different years and mileage, I've done my fucking research on the car and I know for a fact that the average car buyer is NEARLY as retarded as you, and treated the car like shit, leading to an overabundance of 2004-2005 models with check engine lights and an engine on its last legs clogging dealerships and Craigslist ads being sold by ignorant fucks who rev it cold to show you how high it goes.
No, you fucking retard, I know the car. Consider that before spouting off to protecting the precious name of your special snowflake car from all the online bullies who have anything to say about it that isn't overwhelming praise 24/7.

Get fucked.

Technically, the RX8 isn't a downgrade from the RX7. It's a different cars with different aims.

I know plenty of people that would prefer the RX8. Not everyone wants a two-door sports car all the time. Plus, meme prices affect the RX7 horrendously even when they have some of the same issues with buying used (paying top dollar for the car even though it's about to blow due to Puerto Ricans)

>It's like buying a MX-5 Miata. No one buys a NB or a NC. There is no point. You get the NA.

spec miata has been dominated by NB's for quite awhile...

>this assmad at a namefag
Ignore him, all Veeky Forums namefags are trolls and only enjoy baiting weak sisters like you.

not to sure if they fixed the issues in o6, i just know in 09 they upgraded the oil injectors which allowed the engine to be lubricated better saving the apex seals in the long run. also the 09+ has a bit more modem tech in it and look better desu

>tfw the 2nd gen R3 model is the only one worth buying

U mad?

06 is when they upgraded the oil system, it's also the year all rx8's came with the 6 port renesis and ditched the 4 speed auto for a 6 speed auto.

D-Damn son

>not to sure if they fixed the issues in o6
Tmk they fixed most of the early problems with oil in the 2006 onward, but 2009 was basically half a different car underneath and 10x more bulletproof by most accounts

Idk though, some people will say the 2009-2011 models aren't as, well, "fun". I've never found one nearby so I wouldn't know.

Not going to read your wall of text because regardless if what you may know you or what experience you may have you still have a retarded notion of what will need to be done to the car.

Stay buttravished my dude

So I meant to ask, are the 2004 models really that bad? They're everywhere.

Hahaha oh man... What should we use to check that compression? Standard pressure devices won't get an accurate reading from the rotary

Found an R3 in my area for $12k... should I buy?

Listen you stupid fuck you OBVIOUSLY don't have the mechanical knowledge to fully repair the entire vehicle I've been seeing you post around here for a while now, just for all your bitching I'm going to buy a visually clean rx8 for >2000$ and have my brother who is a certified mechanic with vast knowledge of rotaries and rebuild the tranny engine install squirters or premix change coilpack ignition and anything else he needs to do just to show your dumbfucking ass

Dude what are you even talking about?

i see well then listen to these people op, the 06+ are what you want to aim for. I believe they also sell mods that adds a new reservoir that injects 2 stoke oil that rotaries burn easier.

If you already have that attitude OP then you may as well buy one for cheap and rebuild it. It will make you feel more sure of it.
Once it's rebuilt just premix and Dino oil, no cat, make sure the cooling system is sweet and upgrade the coils and you'll be golden for 200000

Id rather Just spend the 16-18k for a s6 FD and know that no matter what happens to it outside of cosmetic damage, I will always be able to sell it for higher profit. I plan on buying one with all the reliability mods done to it already and have it replace my miata as a DD

if u want an rx8 the R3 is the best one we got in America. I would if i wanted doritos

if youre that worried about engine rebuilds or swaps just fucking get a miata and rice the shit out of it. More bang for your buck without the hassle of a special snowflake car.

I'm not that worried, it's just that I'd like to know that I'm going to do it beforehand.
I was just trying to find out if I'm being silly by assuming that every single used Dorito is equally fucked, and at least the guys charging $1500 are being honest about it.

>I figured out, I'm assuming that every single car, regardless of the mileage, regardless of the price point, will need a new engine installed the second I buy it,

If it's a 2009+ with service records or receipts for oil changes, it's fine.
The 2009+ are reliable as long as you replace the oil every 3000 miles.

A well maintained late revision Renesis will last 200k+ miles easily.

A compression test lets you know if it needs a rebuild NOW.
It does not let you know that it might be poorly maintained and only have 15,000 miles left before a rebuild.
What can let you know that is taking out the spark plugs and feeding a small camera through it to take a look inside to make sure the apex seals and chrome aren't worn.

They fixed SOME major issues in '06, but not all. They fixed pretty much everything (as long as they get regular oil changes, like usual) in '09.

They are still a great chassis. Just assume the engine is fucked and needs a serious rebuild or replacement, and it's a fine buy if you have the money to make a nice build out of the chassis.

Yes you are being silly, I tried to fucking tell you before but you got buttblasted.

If you find an 8 with like 20k miles it will last to AT LEAST 80k, who knows how long if you take proper care of it.

Mate these cars are extremely reliable if you keep on top of a few special bits. It ain't hard.

Also, if you do end up getting one, make sure you get some idemitsu premix, 1 oz per gallon of gas every fillup. Keep yourself nice and lubed~

I honestly don't know what kind of magic people do to keep their 8s reliable, but mine is broken 99% of the time. I premix, change the oil every 1000-2000 miles, upgraded my ignition, and changed all of my fuses, and it still manages to break once or twice a month. Just spent $70 on spark plugs, another $130 on a new maf, $90 something for a new rad (because the shit plastic one broke and got coolant everywhere), and replaced the purge valve and the damn thing *still* finds a way to break. It isn't even the mechanics, its all electrical for the most part (just like every Mazda from this era, i might add). The maintenence isnt the reason I hate this thing tho, it's the cost of all the parts. Everything costs a fuckton more than my Corvette, and any other car I own.

If you still want one b/c Veeky Forums loves to circlejerk this thing for some reason, my only advice is to avoid an 04 . Honestly, I would avoid anything before 2008. The first gen is a clusterfuck of half baked ideas that make the car look like it was pushed to market too early. Example: my 04 is missing an oil catch in the intake so all of the oil that comes from the engine fucks up the MAF and gets all over the air filter. They added it on the 05, but apperently owners of the 04 can get fucked.

Tell it to me straight:
I really want to buy an RX-8. But when I look at ads for them it makes me wanna wait.

I figured out, If I buy a model that is this late, I'm gonna have to rebuild the engine at a later date, and there is no point in paying $7000 for something that will soon deteriorate.

Am I putting too much on my plate?

They are everywhere because like 75% of the RX-8s sold were sold in the first 2 years. 2004 was the first year.

The 2009+ models are probably severely undervalued for how much rarer and better they are.

Though, were 2006+ models fixed with recalls? Maybe they were.
The 2004 and 2005 models had recalls to fix some issues, but by then it was too late and they needed a new later revision engine and other upgrades.

If you find an earlier one that had all its recalls done soon after they were issued, and it's so significantly less than a 2009+, then okay get it. But like I said, the 2009+ models are undervalued, so I think it's not that often that it's really worth the bit cheaper price unless you know the cars well and know what you're getting into.

Yes, you're being silly.

The later revision Renesis (in the 2009+ models) will last 200,000 miles as long as you change the oil every 3,000 miles and the spark plugs every 37,5000 miles.

And $1500 RX-8 with a fucked engine is an amazing deal, as long as it doesn't have rust or something too. You can't get a chassis that good and such a modern car for that price. Great for a project car.

The Renesis will last 200k+ miles without premixing. Its lubricating systems work fine.

I absolutely wouldn't waste time/money on premix except for track days/autox.

What other car can you get for like $7000-$15,000 that's less than 8 years old and has the quality and performance of it? There isn't one. So it's not like you really have options besides buying and older car that'll have more reliability problems.

The 2009+ RX-8s are really far more reliable than your average car, as long as you do that simple regular maintenance. This is something that is odd that people don't see to understand. There's tons of cars out there that have major, many thousands of dollars worth of issues after 35k miles, 75k miles, so on.

If you find one where the owner has receipts/records of services or buying oil to change it themselves (if it's 60k miles, they should have 20 of those, plus 1 for spark plugs. But something like 18 is close enough I guess), it's well worth over $10k.
Or if you find one with such lower mileage, they couldn't have fucked it up yet.

>I squirm unless it's less than $2000.
I read that wrong i thought you said you Squirm because its less than $2000.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

it's called a sohn adapter, bolts to the side of the oil metering pump and injects oil from an external reservoir.

You both made my post rhyme, less cringe inducing, and more immediately digestible.

Props!

Hmm. I guess I'm just a Jew and need to man up.

Locally, there's a 1500 RX8 without an engine or front bumper that is otherwise clean. Good buy?

>Locally, there's a 1500 RX8 without an engine or front bumper that is otherwise clean. Good buy?
If you have money to put a gofast engine in it and it doesn't have 150k on the chassis, yes.

I have an FC convertible and an RX-8 racecar. The RX-8 out handles even the FD, in my experience.

Also, NC is best Miata. Such a better car than the NA. All the NA has going for it is the cute pop-ups. NB is an improved NA, and is the most popular for racing. ND, while not as great as NC, is better than either NA or NB.

The RX-8 does not have the mechanical grip of the FD, but it is far easier to drive and very, very capable as a purpose built race car.

I have to clarify that for you because people confuse "handling" with "turning ability". The RX-8 is one of the best handling cars ever made, but the FD does turn better and was as amazing handling for its time.

In fact, I have an FD which I DD, but if I ever really get into track days and going to high speed tracks like Sebring, I'd definitely build an RX-8 or something instead for that. There's just way less to lose than wrecking an FD at 150mph, and you're way less likely to get in a bad accident with it to begin with.