Would Ireland have been a superpower had he not been slain by the retreating vikings at the age of 88?

Would Ireland have been a superpower had he not been slain by the retreating vikings at the age of 88?

no

Not much coal and iron to industrialize. No.

maybe if varus never fucked up, rome stayed in england & amalgimated the isles successfully. they'd come to be the dominanting force, at least hybrid-culturally etc as the centre of power with the romans taking out the predictable forces of boudicas resistence, power vaccum, localities of alliance/influence of what is left, how all rome works, take apiece give a piece

If he'd lived longer then perhaps he would've at least laid the foundations for Ireland to become a centralised Kingdom, which would lead to them being better able to resist the Norman invasion or since there would be no petty king of Leinster in the first place, prevent it from ever happening, which would've lead to more normalised relations with other European countries, but if the Protestant reformation still happens and they still remain Catholic, it's doubtful that they could take on both England and Scotland, assuming that Edward Bruce's plan for a united Gaelic Kingdom of Scotland and Ireland never came to fruition.

Alternate history is ultimately too hard to come up with long term, there are so many variables.

Objectively yes, I lean towards materialism myself, but I admit we often underestimate the influence rulers have.

Brian Boru controlled one of the largest economic surpluses in Ireland, far more than future and past rulers until the modern era, and most of it was left to his discretion due to the very slow growth rates of the middle ages. Most rulers would just funnel it all back into the military to protect the pre-existing system, some would pour it into palaces and lavish feasts, Brian Boru however was a reformer, he would have changed the system and entrenched the political and socio-economic changes leaving Ireland as a unified regional power comparable to Scotland.

They would have almost certainly played a role in the downfall of Anglo-Saxon England and it is completely feasible that Irish hegemony would have been accomplished in place of the Normans. The heart of this empire would eventually gravitate towards southern England, but a new anglo-irish identity would have developed there, Britain today would be unrecognizable and the world would be a century or 2 ahead technologically.

>>Brian Boru controlled one of the largest economic surpluses in Ireland, far more than future and past rulers until the modern era
Tell me more

He was the most successful high kings and controlled the monasteries and towns.

He was 88. He'd have probably died on the way home.

But honestly, even if he had lived for another hundred years and managed to actually unify Ireland rather than just hold a sort of momentary hegemony, no. You might as well ask if Iceland or Estonia could have been a superpower.

Ireland was a backward, underpopulated, tiny and relatively isolated island without any kind of socio-political system comparable to those of Franks or Normans or even the late Anglo-Saxons. They were semi-tribal, with about 150 different petty kingdoms loosely tied together by more overfull over-kings whose actual power could fluctuate wildly; Brian was just a particularly powerful one of these. There were no centralized states and there weren't even any large secular settlements outside of the Norse ports; Brian's royal capital probably looked a bit like pic related. There's no reason to think Brian was about to change any of this, especially considering his age.

Gaelic Ireland had a brilliant Christian and secular culture, with its incredible art and literature and an amazing legal system, but it could never have been especially politically influential in Western civilization.

Naw, Ireland doesn't have the right geography or resources.

It'd be better off than today, to be sure.

>Brian Boru

Fucking Borufags every goddamn time.

He was pretty cool, and doesn't afraid of any norse shits, but the true based king of Ireland was Máel Sechnaill Mac Domnaill.

The top-tier rule would have been way it was just before Clontarf-Máel Sechnaill in the North and Boru in the South.

Boru alone wasn't a bad enough dude to repel the Vikings alone, it was Máel Sechnaill who laid the groundwork for Clontarf out.

Also
>superpower
Never ever because , , The only real difference I can see is they may have not been as neutral as they are.
For a large part late Medievil and onwards Irish History is essentially just British History, dotted with a few uprisings.

Post 1916 nu-Ireland is a new entity, in my eyes.
That's why I hate the term "reunification."
It wouldn't be "reunified" and if Ulster does join the south, it should be under a new Ireland and now just the Republic.

t. Ulster Republican Memester

Good analysis but Ireland was not underpopulated in the middle ages. Just as populous as England in the early middle ages.

b-but muh CK2 says ireland is perfect for successful domination of europe...

Maybe. Ireland probably had about half a million people in the early Middle Ages, what did England have?

>There's no reason to think Brian was about to change any of this, especially considering his age.
In terms of his title he was really pushing the "King of Ireland" thing (Armagh memorial, etc.), so that's where most of the centralization memeing comes from.

CKII says Estonia is perfect for domination of Europe.

At best he would've laid the foundations for a unified Irish state. Such a state might've been able to preserve its independence, but Ireland's just too small and irrelevant to be a superpower.

>He was 88. He'd have probably died on the way home.
there was the fact that his two elder, more experienced sons who he'd trained to succeed him died in the battle also, leaving his last youngest son to rule

I doubt that

>It wouldn't be "reunified" and if Ulster does join the south, it should be under a new Ireland and now just the Republic.
>calling it Ulster when a good portion of Ulster already in 'the South'
you've been infected by the words of the Orangemen

Borders are borders, my guy.
Also
>orangemen
Subhumans.

My point is that if the 6 UK Counties join the rest of Ireland, Ireland as a whole should become a new entity to accommodate it instead of just "yeah we'll take them."

They'll need some real clever shit to manage the tumor that we are.

Aren't a bunch of the counties Catholic?

To the west and south there is a reasonable Catholic population, but you have to understand that a huge amount of "Unionists" are just Unionists because it is the safe, easy option.

Unionism in NI is largely associated now with right wing conservatism, or in other words, young people and increasingly liberal adults are starting to feel unrepresented by it.

Add this with BREXIT-NI having a remain majority by a fairly large amount-and suddenly people wonder if Unionism is the best route.

Many catholics will still vote Unionist or one of the cross-community parties though, for fear of the past. That being said, once the generations affected by troubles/post troubles bias are no longer with us, there will be a dramatic and radical shift in political opinion.