Be honest, who here is fantasizing about an EV converted daily driver...

Be honest, who here is fantasizing about an EV converted daily driver? Maybe with a range extending fuel generator trailer for longer trips? Wouldn't it be neat?

No.

Maybe in 20 years when the technology is more mature. Right now I'm fine with my ICE powered vehicles.

this tbqhwyf

I was thinking about doing an ev conversion on my car and have seen it done but wanted to practice on a scooter before hand. I've seen this done in person (wikispeed); and their work is horrible. I'd say this would be great on an underpowered inline four car that you want to keep forever and drive it on a cheap ass commute. But to build a fast one it'll cost you a shit ton

Yeah, but no one's stopping you from still having a project car. I'll abandon meat and alcohol before I abandon combustion engines. Still the idea of an EV daily is really charming to me. Zipping around with better acceleration than any petrol econobox, while producing no fumes or annoying noise. And just for the engineering challenge frankly. Most of us only drive a short distance on a daily basis anyway.

For me I couldn't justify the time and money because I'm still in school but I did a lot of research on it because I did want to get into it before.
What car would you do an EV on?

You know, i've honestly thought about it, but my 900cc 3 cylinders probably costs less to refuel than it would to recharge
Surely i wouldn't save as much as a conversion would run me

I honestly don't know. The big challenge with selecting it is keeping weight down and finding places for mounting all the stuff, but at the same time cars with a low curb weight usually also have a lower load capacity than others. Also I want something remotely aerodynamic and noise insulated so that I'm not limited to semi truck speeds if I don't want to, and can still comfortably cruise on the highway. There's this guy on Youtube doing a big series about his stripped down VW Samba van, but I can't imagine it being comfortable in the slightest. Maybe a turn of the millennium Volvo wagon, though those are less than ideal in curb weight and load capacity. I think I have to think a lot smaller. Any ideas on your part? I don't think I could afford a conversion anytime soon either, and then there's technical inspections causing just as big a headache as the conversion itself.

And no, I wouldn't ruin such a well preserved Volvo for an electric conversion, it's just the next best photo I found in my folders.

Lol don't worry im not a critical Veeky Forums Veeky Forumstist
I wanted to do my Tercel because it has enough space to put the batteries and is comfy, I saw one forsale already ev converted on ebay
If I had the time and money Id do it on my gfs miata, then id never have to wrench it again lol
I feel like comftorability is the biggest thing you want to get out of an ev conversion.

What do you drive right now?

I want to DD a series hybrid 8th gen Suburban one day

To me honest I kinda wanna drop a Mack MP10 into the Tesla SUV.

Corolla hatch, but I'm actually looking for a Volvo like these for reasons unrelated to EV right now. Been on the shitter just now and the Golf came to my mind. Older ones are very light, right?

Fuck No.

I drive electric Forklifts at work, they're already a fucking pain to deal with.

In what way? How would sitting in the fumes of a diesel forklift be any better?

Ayy corolla hatch gang here
My friends in florida love building vw but I haven't gotten into them
Maybe its time to find another hobby
Do an ev conversion on an airplane

>diesel forklift

Try CNG or LP. And the electric forklifts suck, they go from feeling like they have plenty of juice to almost dead with little warning. It sucks to have to set your load down, limp the forklift back over to the charging stations, hop in another one that's hopefully fully charged, and finally go back and pick your load up and resume whatever you were doing.

So it's a battery problem, not an electric propulsion problem. Don't you have a battery gauge so you can plan your switches better?

Me simce high school... 25 years.

Built 1,000 watt ebike and my 300 pound frame and lead batteries crushed it after a few miles.

Mfw pass cars on main street up hill with no peddle.

Pue the gear in a bike bag and painted hub motor because cops here are nazis.

Considering building another once i get the lithium packs figured out.

Got bus transaxle and front end for my ev already.

Unsure wtf to do.

Poor as dick atm... i need a job for after my 60 hour a week job.

Fuck life

Do it.

I learned a lot researching and building an ebike when it shorted out and tried to kill me.

A car can kill withbjust the short.

Mfw lithium powered brushless ford ranger cut donuts on youtube.

Horey shit

Any.

Vw
S10
Ranger
Metro
Etc...

Any car is convertable but a lot of the common lighter ones have kits to make it easier.

I've heard varied formulas. But with proper battery maintenance and replace every 5 years they say it equates to $0.30 per gallon gas.

Sounds amazing but im fat and ac and heat are a cunt in ev.

Lead batts. 2017. Lol

looking forward to a few years from now when tesla model 3 and chevy bolt battery packs start to show up in junkyards

Batteries from cars don't go to junkyards. They are taken to power stations where they are used to hold a charge for short term and their reduced life and capacity doesn't matter

i'm more a fan of doing it the other way

MR LS'd Prius? Preferably very stock looking?

hell yes, i'd drive that

I'm building an electric motorcycle right now, battery supplies and well programmed universal BMS aren't quite there yet for the EV car market, I'll do one eventually once there are more options for parts

Those batteries would be useless to a car builder. Do you think they are a giant AA that you snap in the bottom of your car? They have advanced BMS boards that use external software to operate. Even if you could find a way to close the contactors you wouldn't have any control over charging/discharging individual cells, which is necessary for batteries like that.

There really isn't much reason to do that outside a personal interest. There are some cool projects out there, but
>who here is fantasizing about an EV converted daily driver?
it doesn't interest me.

I could see electric being a neat choice for some kit cars though.

Diesel lifts aren't usually operated indoors, further more diesel fumes are preferable to sulfuric acid fumes

Furthermore they're slow, and as another another pointed last only a few hours under heavy use whereas a CNG/LPG lift will last 8 hours or more on one 80lb tank

Not him, but yes we have gauges, but voltage drop can happen very quickly, regardless of what the gauge says,

Also changing a propane tank is only 80lbs and can be changed by hand in less than five minutes, electric lifts require a machine and rack system larger than a tractor trailer and each battery weighs as much 3000lbs