Is there anything less financially responsible than buying a car new

Is there anything less financially responsible than buying a car new.

realistically probably not

How about buying a new car, having a work truck break down, and trading in the new car for a new truck and still paying it off over the course of ~10 years? Also the truck's underpowered for what you're doing and you take shit care of it so you end up junking it 15 years later.

modifying your new car

modifying your car in general is stupid

Oh, by the way, the car was payed for in cash. The truck required a loan. And now I'm going to stop before this potentially gets identifiable.

investing in tesla

>bought at $189
>closed today at $269
I think I'm doing ok on that front

Lol a WRX would almost be a straight line.

Certain cars make MORE sense to buy new

they still depreciate, especially after being taken off the lot.

some makes and models are fairly depreciation resistant: tacomas, wranglers, raptors

Sure, it will depreciate, but you also know the entire history of the car, and you get the benefits of the full warranty

This.

Same goes for most Subaru models.

What makes them so resilient to depreciation?

Why would I want to sell it to start with? As a mechanic, I can maintain it myself and know what I am buying so I won't regret my buy

The best is low price, low mileage second hand modern cars

What makes no sense is to buy a car that everything is expensive, even an oil change

>cucks

They last.

Hipsters

So I should take out a loan on a 20 year old car?

vehicles are nothing but money sinks no matter what you buy

Honestly leasing makes more sense unless you intend to keep the car forever. Most everything covered under warranty, basically you just pay for gas. Lease ends, you go to the dealer and get a new car.

Alternately, buying used is obviously a far better deal if you don't care about "keeping up with the Joneses" and IF you get the right car. It's a crapshoot. I bought a car that was new in '05 at $40K last year for $7K last year. I lucked out and it's in great shape. But it's a risk unless you're a wrencher and you can do all your own repairs..

>Honestly leasing makes more sense

>not owning anything is better

Okay.

If it's a 993 RS or something yeah sure.

wouldn't the merchant prefer you to be in debt?

No, you save up 10k and buy in cash.

If you have to take out a loan to buy a used car why the fuck are you considering buying a new one. This is what I mean by financially irresponsible.

Trade in value is barely $3k on my 07' Legacy :(

That's why you sell private party. Besides, not every Subaru or Toyota will have great resale. You need to know which models are desirable

This board is filled with amateurs I swear...

I said very clearly "unless you intend to keep the car forever". You're not "owning" anything when you finance a new car, either. Your bank holds the lien until you pay it off 5 FUCKING YEARS LATER. Then you get to have the hassle of trying to fix up and sell your 5 year old car that you may get 1/4 of the value that you paid for it, if you're lucky. Meanwhile a guy who leases has already been driving a new car every two years while you've been driving around your beat up 5 year old car that you now "own". Congratulations.

>wouldn't the merchant prefer you to be in debt?

The owner gets you to pay rent during the largest depreciation period and then resells the vehicle.

Buying a ten year old S Class Benz

only retards let their car get beat up in only 5 years. leasing is for cucks like you. i'm not defending buying new either

Cuz I dont want a 3k civic with 150k+ miles, fucked ip interior, and a bunch of repairs needed

Oh shut the fuck up you unimaginative cuck

Paying 3k for another man's problem is a very cuck thing to do

Can you not read? I own used, not lease. I'm just saying it makes no more sense to finance than to lease. Sure, if you have $40K laying around, buy new, obviously.

God the IQ's on this board are /b/ level.

What makes you say that

totaling your car by buying fresh tires.

paid 13k for my s2000, they're selling for 19k now.

bought a wrx for 1800$, got written off for 5400$.

was given a kia sportage for 1$ then put 900$ into it to be road legal. flipped it into a ditch.

so yes, there are many things that are less financially responsible.

Yes, having children and caring about them.

I've started to take the depreciation of a vehicle very seriously when car shopping. If you're going to dump a shit load of money into a new/gently used vehicle, you might as well get one that will give you a lot of your money back when it's time to upgrade/trade up.

I personally know a guy who bought a Wrangler brand new, drove it for a year, and sold it for more than he paid for it new. I've also read tales of this happening online, too.

Financing a new car.

>Only able to save 3k for a car
bruh

cars depreciate so fast because people use graphs like this to show how much of value was lost over the years
aka Self-fulfilling prophecy

>t. CARB

Factory warranties transfer.
New Lexus ES 350 40,000, 6 years and 70k of warranty
1 year old Lexus es350 28,000 5 years and 50k of warranty

You can also purchase after market warranties out to 200k miles. And the Lexus is a car that holds value well, the value is even better on a Honda or Buick.

>modifying your car in general is stupid
aussie here i find its absolutely need

>most cars still overheat from factory even new ones
>Most cars have shit brakes
>Most cars have terrible factory tunes

That depends on the modification, if you add a hook or convert it to LPG or natural gas it makes sense.

Tell me more about how I should hurry to pay something with a rate 4% lower than my worst investment

Buying a new auto tragic prius.

This is true in us. For example tuning the toe in set, brakes and if auto the intercooler then its significantly better for the civic em2

How do I convert my car to LongPostGuy?

Yes, taking a title loan on your new car.

LPG is
Liquid
Petrol
Gas

Also known as propane.
It is cheaper than gas.

This

I pity dealers who have to resell riced out cars that have that nasty smoked tail light tint job, ugly plastidip everywhere and lowered on some shit set of coilovers or springs. Oh, and the red painted stock brakes.

Sometimes the word "enthusiast" makes me cringe

Bullshit.

If you're poor, you buy used, if you're remotely wealthy, you buy new. So you poorfags can buy used. Such bait.

>if you're rich
Not if you wanna stay rich

This

Most people are rich due to a steady supply of income. Recently purchased a new Civic and am still wealthy.

>you're rich because you make a lot of money each month
Except I'm surrounded by people making 100k+ who are in debt up to their eyeballs.

A herion addiciton drugs

That's just poor financial decisions, most aren't like that. My only debts are my Civic and my mortgage.

I think modding can be stupid because a lot of the time it's based on taste.

However, I think there is definitely a place for upgrades that do add value.

For example some things I've done to my car (other than maintenance):

>Restored the paint
>Replaced or repainted a few interior trim pieces
>Replaced the front bumper w/ OEM sport version (paint matched)
>resonated test pipes, longer resonators, stock exhaust (dat VQ note)
>Long tube, front mounted intake
>Street tune on 93 (easily accessible in my area)
>Tein coilovers on a moderate drop
>Wider, 19" OEM coupe wheels

Down the road I'm getting an upgraded diff and upgrading to OEM Akebono BBK.

I'd like to think 90% of buyers wouldn't mind the mods done to the car. Nothing is really about personal taste (except for the bumper), it's mostly functionality.

Does it add value? Dunno. I'd like to think. It's definitely a better car because of them.

Taking notes on depreciating things isn't a scalable solution. What is scalable is to only take notes on appreciating things (assets) like education (assuming it's not a lib arts degree) or a house.

Pics

>Street tune on 93 (easily accessible in my area)
>Tein coilovers on a moderate drop
> upgraded diff and upgrading to OEM Akebono BBK
idk what that means but it sounds pretty cool

Before the bumper

Sport bumper

Looks the same

It wasn't really supposed to be drastically different or anything, just nicer. I like the sport version WAY better than the non sport. Better balance with the grille.

Is this the M? I'm currently looking at @ 14 Is350

Nope, 09 G37 Sedan

Newer ones got a little ricey with the facelift with their sharp edges.

IS350's are nice. Test drove one, just preferred the G.

not him but financing rates are low as fuck.
i had a total of 10.07% returns on investments in 2016. my car loan is nowhere near that, so by paying for a car in cash, you're only losing out on not investing that capital instead of tying it up in a car.
obviously don't finance a 3k shitbox but after 15-20k, it doesn't really make sense not to finance unless you're just wealthy as fuck and have millions in the bank to blow

OP you got it all wrong. I fixed your graph for you.

Basically this. Financing rates are low af. I financed mine, not because I couldn't afford to buy it outright, but because I was investing in a house in an upcoming area. I'm way more likely to see returns for that.

Fucking kekd

>poor financial decisions
>My only debts are my Civic

>being in debt for a civic

Veeky Forums keeps getting better every time browse

>tein

way to ruin your Z

accurate

An AWD turbocharged car is an attractive vehicle for anyone who lives in cold weather conditions. I cringe every time someone posts a 10 year old STi for close to 20 grand here, but it's just the way the market is.

You really have to read the fine print on those extended warranties. Many many people have been fucked over when something goes catastrophically wrong. They'll do everything they can to not fix it.

Is buying a used car and having the transmission blow a year later really worth "skipping the deprecation"?

Having to worry about a BBQ tank of propane is bad enough. Natural Gas line ftw. Good thing the LPG fad died out in the 80's in North America.

Tein is great. Everyone loves Tein. Megan is who you're thinking of. Have a bad experience or something?

No, Megan is literal trash don't even mention these please.
There are better dampers than Tein's for the same money, they're a compromise. And they don't even compare to top-tier coilovers.

>does it add value, I dunno
No it doesn't. In most cases it makes it much harder to sell. Buyers see mods and assume the car has been thrashed to bits.

MARY

Coilovers might turn some people off desu.

Hey thanks. I test drove the 350 and I know a lot of people here hate it, but I thought it actually had a pretty dynamic experience

My 3k civic has a mint interior and 188k miles. You can find clean ones.

I can agree with this mostly. A lot of the time it's true. However, restoration is a large part of resale value too. That's why a lot of what I did was making what is already there nicer.

Mods I chose are not necessarily large changes, but impact the feel. It is very nice to drive now. Entirely opinion though.

True. They are a massive upgrade from the 7 year old stock suspension though. Feels like a luxury sedan again.

G37 with a manual transmission is the only worthwhile one.

Of course there are better coils. I'm not tracking the car though. Tein coils are great value for the money. Very solid construction and reliability from my experience.

Yea I wasn't trying to shit on your mods, just speaking from experience.

hyuck hyuck
This was also financed at the end of December, so it's very recent.
With a fixed rate that low in a climate of rising interest rates with no pre-payment penalties, there is absolutely no reason to not finance.

Good argument, but maybe next time try to learn instead of assuming you know everything... it'll get you further in life.

>Taking notes on depreciating things isn't a scalable solution
It's a completely scalable solution provided you use the money on something that is going to return more than you're paying on the loan.
$41896 @ 1.49% for 66mos = $1788
$41896 @ 12% for 66mos = $38140
You tell me which one is the better choice.

ding ding ding
except:
>unless you're just wealthy as fuck and have millions in the bank to blow
Wealthy people tend to understand opportunity cost, so they still wouldn't buy it outright.

The other thing that's missing is how valuable using a car loan to build credit can be down the line. Even without looking at opportunity cost on the above, the credit history you'd build with on time payments would save you far more than ~$1800 when you go to finance a house.

>warranties are trash
>b..buy a new car goys, wouldn't want to risk a bill you can't afford because you have no savings due to loa... I mean the 1%
nice try

Nah you're right in most cases. People just focus too much on loud visually and acoustically, but not drivability when it comes to street cars.

What's worst than buying a new car? Buying a boat. BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand.

How do boats cost that much? Never had an interest in them

More like boatt. Bust out another two thousand. Inflation is a bitch.

>buy here pay here stealerships
niggas that pay 25,000 over the course of the loan on a 15 year old domestic shitbox

BHPHs are legal theft.

Buying a car >10 years old and keeping it running as a DD.