/s4xg/ - Strategy/4X General (formerly /civ4x/ - Stellaris, Civilization & Endless Legend)

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, with a focus on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).

>Civilization Resources
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) - well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums - - - - civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games - - - - - - - - - - - - - - civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 - - - - - play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) - dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter - - - - - - - - - - - - - georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding - modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop - steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods - - - - - - -- forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods - - - - - - - - pastebin.com/5ANRmRur

>Stellaris Resources
- Mod archive - - - - - - - -- mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations - pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual - - - - - - cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 -- - - - - - endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 -- - - - - - endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements - pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories - - - - mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=exRFQXX3oeg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>playing stellaris
>start new game
>play 1 hour
>get borred
>restard

help. hopefully the new genocide dlc is good.

Genocide will be a free patch along with orbital habitats. Ring worlds and ascendancy options will be paid DLC only.

Another picture. These were concept renders for Rise of Nations 2.
It looks like a higher quality version of Civ V's art style and it still makes me mad they decided to go with VI.

It's just a video game, it doesn't cure ADHD.

huh explain?

user, he restarts, that can't be ADHD. Maybe OCD, but he would be frustrated rather than bored.

Its more like i want the very perfect enpire and when ever I think its not perfect i restard, also I have specific Order of how I need to play to feel confortable.

Stellaris update when

Rollin'

>tfw fascism is the most effective government in stellaris
>tfw this is reflected in reality

>it's another "autists changed the name of the general" episode.

is there a way to add custom species without adding to 00_species_classes? i dont want my mod to cause any conflicts or need to be updated, ever
i tried adding a seperat text file to the speies classes folder, but the game doesnt seem to be picking up my humanoid

Fuck, I hate watchin re-runs this early after the original airing.

ded

Blame Stellaris and Civ6 for being shit and killing 4xg.

Even including strategy games isn't enough to keep us alive now.

>Rise of Nations 2
Rise of Legends was better than Rise of Nations. It deserves a real sequel.

Or even a GoG release.

Rise of Nations doesn't even have a gog release

It has a Steam release.

Rise of Legends has a steam release too

sounds restarded

No it doesn't? What are you on about?

>Fascism

That's not a Divine Mandate...

>This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own threa
No it fucking isn't

go to /gsg/, xenophobe

>when you realize that none of the militaristic governments are actually fascism
>one is even a reference to Starship Troopers

I just gave a bunch of "honorbound warrior" space gypsy birds with no agendas their own homeworld in my territory, just so "they could rest". A nice 24 planet, too. Now they're starting to dislike me because "border friction". How badly did I fuck up?

Also, 2 fallen empires (spirit/material) are next door neighbours in a ring galaxy. Fireworks ensue?

I suppose a Plutocratic Oligarchy (to represent corporatism) with fanatic militarist and collectivist would come close, but then you're missing the singular figurehead that fascist systems have. But then, Despotic Empire doesn't fit either.

>Letting xenos anywhere near you

Unless you're a rapid breeding, nomadic xenophile, you dun fucked up.

Time to stomp on them before they become a threat.

B-but muh quest?

What's the best way to conquer ringed galaxy? Ressearch tech and build better fleet to agressively expand at the endgame or Russia everything?

youtube.com/watch?v=exRFQXX3oeg

FABULOUS

Releasing a planet as a vassal or giving it to an existing vassal is often a good idea. Giving it to independent xenos is ridiculous.

>giving planets away
>ever a good idea

Yeah but now I'm the Shade Giver. Besides, a curator-type race asks for a favor, why wouldn't you do it and see where it leads?

You can always reintegrate vassals later. In the meantime, that's 1-3 planets that I don't have to manage and don't count towards the planet cap. They'll even make ships, which get adopted when you integrate them.

Do the curators care if you liberate the birds?

meh, if they're really shit planets like 9 tiles or something then maybe but
>muh planet cap
who cares, build it up enough and put it in a sector. The extra border, research and energy/minerals and fleet capacity when you build a spaceport is worth an extra planet or two

Actually, scratch that, at least the curators have personalities. These guys, tho?

Nah I just mentioned them because they appeared as "others" in the contacts screen and the way you communicate with them is like the curators/troupe. They wanted to nomad over the place and asked not to be stopped and a few years later rang up asking for a planet. Then scarpered and left these guys behind.

meant to quote , not

kill all avians

>Divine Mandate
May as well be Islam which is essentially fascism

Yeah declare war on them so that you can eventually adopt beautiful valueless parrots into your kingdom. Not having ethics is second only to having good ethics.

In the process of integrating other parrots with good ethics already. Might as well leave these ones be while they're in the green. Won't be that long but eh it's not like they can grow that fast. And if they do, at least I'll have a decent story.

>/s4xg/

4X is essentially a dead genre. We have to bring in the Geopolitical Simulator players in order to survive.

Could anyone give me a run down of what AoW3 is? Does it play like civ? stellaris? I know nothing about that series and a friend just recommended it to me. Is it worth the price?

Nomad event happens 40+ years into the game, so you should easily have asked them to become a protectorate or vassal the moment they claimed the planet. It's what I do whenever I get that event in my games.

Divine Mandate is the government type of peace. Behead all non-spiritualists.

Finally, knew someone here would've done it already. So there's nothing else to it, the others don't come back or give you stuff/grief?

You overvalue the need to have a general survive.

A general is useless if it isn't specific in genre. You dilute the discussion and make future discussions of the genre on Veeky Forums harder.
If the general can't survive since people are too busy, then go back to /v/ until specific threads there become popular enough to warrant a general.

If you have 3000 minerals and 1000 energy they offer 15 cruisers in exchange. Pretty good deal for early game. If you get a second "encrypted" message saying you can get 15 more cruisers for just 1000 more energy, do not take it.

No it doesn't.

They being the nomads.

Still was funny when they wanted a Holy World within my territory. Their new empire didn't last a week.

Nice. Bit bollocks when you get un-upgradeable ships with less than endgamey equipment tho. But eh, for that price you can't really complain.

>25 gaia plz
lol silly birds.

The Age of Wonders series has a tactical combat seperate from the overworld movement.

Differen races can produce different types of units, there city infrastructure isn't that deep, things on the overland map affect the yield of hte cities iirc.
Your class also affects what units you can build.
If you are a Dreadnought you can for example build Elven Muskeeters in your elven cities and Goblin Musketeers in your goblin cities.
They're similar, but they have their slight stat differences and resistance, like goblins have a high blight resistance.

>musketeers
Sounds OP.

t. Cossacks player.

They're programmed to appear at 25/40/55 years or 30% chance of never.

So to metagame I stockpile minerals/energy and put an outpost on the nearest holy world when they do show up.

Damn it.

Horizon Signal turned my cat-people into horse-people, so I made a race of horse-people to roleplay.

Horizon Signal turned my horse-people into gorilla-people.

I need a list of the portrait changes.

KILL ALL BIRDS

savegames are just text files zipped up, you can change them back.remember to tc=off in the zip options.

Remember to use 7zip use tc=off parameters and chose the archiving format to zip with deflate on.

Alternatively what's less time consuming is to open archive with 7zip and right click edit on the files you want to change within archive, this won't mess with compression

EAT ALL BIRDS

They're good, but they're not OP. You have to compare them to the random and diverse monsters druids can summon at a similar research level, or floating teleporting lighting snakes that sorcerors summon, and then realize that the warlord unit at that tier will fare better against both.

Necromancers forever.

Just kidding, last time I played necros, I totally failed to understand. They're still cool.

I didn't take it and then I didn't get any of the cruisers. Fucking space gypsies.

I think I made the mistake of listening to steam reviews. I love space games and Stellaris looks like it has a lot of depth. I also love really long sessions of gameplay that you can come back to for a day or two. One of the cons that bothers me is the instant peace meme. How bad is that? I'm guessing it's to stop you from streamrolling the whole map?

>Some sort of Eldritch abomination appears in your home system
>Didn't shoot it in the face with massed tachyon lasers

Got what you deserved.

>Stellaris looks like it has a lot of depth

rol

>Stellaris looks like it has a lot of depth
Dude, you got memed.
Not even memed, you got fucking lied to. I don't know who told you that, but that dude is a fucking liar and a piece of shit.

The portrait change happens a great deal earlier in the event than that.

My empire spans across half the galaxy like a penis, problem is everyone else consolidated alliances around me, but also their expansion is halted.

What would be the best strategy now? Max out ships ofc that's my priority now, but then build military stations across important resource nodes and above every single planet?

Also should I always keep an fleet around capital planet?

>Also should I always keep an fleet around capital planet?
That's actually a good question. I used to have only one doomstack, but then again, I gave up at midgame because it was getting boring and I liked my neighbours too much to murder them.

Problems is I'm on the quest to purge them all so I have to plan it well, because the moment I start doing it everyone is instantly my enemy.

The purple one is strong had an advantage at start, If I start to absorb him I'm going to profit a lot and His territory + the blue one territory is all I need I wouldn't have to expand just build space ports and colonize the rest of the planets within my border.

From there I would just start cleansing empires around me, or go in a quest on the other side of the galaxy to cut the power of a huge empire.

Also what do you think about this plan ( using a mod to change the ship behavior when I need )

Should I make battleships just sit at their max weapon range and clear out and use cruisers to tank ? Or let cruisers just do their normal thing and make destroyers go point blank with enemy.

I somewhat feel like cruisers are easy to build, have good damage and the potential to soak all damage because of their huge hull base.

I don't like playing with the necro as my leader, but they can make for very nice heroes. Lifesteal stacking is always fun.

In Civ V, how are the led militaristic Civs supposed to survive when you Spain next to Attila or Shaka? They start out hating you and have stronger weapons to start with.

If it's only defensive pacts, then the ones who disagree with your purge policy are going to have a hard time declaring war on you as long as you maintain a strong facade, because a declaration of war would put them alone without their allies (defensive pact being purely defensive). You could also try and see if you can go into a non aggression pact with some of them, if you really want to make sure that they don't attack you once your fleet is weakened, but by the time you start purging, you will already have won the war, so just delay your victory a bit while you're rebuilding your fleet, or delay the purges if you're doing it manually after taking the planet rather than cleansing it as a wargoal.

Only if all of the empires around you happen to be in the same defensive pact, that's where things become complicated.

The idea to make battleships stay at their max range, force destroyers to rush point blank and leave cruisers default made the fleet waaaay too op.

Now I'll just wait for them to go to war with each other, weaken themselves and declare war to the side that is losing, works like a charm.

Until then I just consolidate my power, I kinda need more energy.

Problem is the fallen empire is also noticing my genocide and got angry... what will happen when I reach cap with them even tho they're not awaken will they declare war to me ?

Yea... it already started

Modern moderate sized military can easily defend most offensive actions. Notable exception is tech rushes, if you wish to defend against those - you have to keep an eye on your opponents.

Time for you to erase your ancestors from existence.

With an empire like that you might consider relocating your capital so it's in the middle of your empire.

How do I play with a friend on LAN if we're not actually on a LAN

You make a LAN

VPN

Many options, vpn, tunngle, hamachi.

Since you just care just about playing with another person install hamachi.

Kandy's Suzerain bonus sounds great but fucking sucks when you realize great work slots are so limited at the start.

Why can't a relic just be stored somewhere until a slot is made? Why the hell are great work slots so limited anyway? Build a room, build a box, put the relic on it, wow that was difficult wasn't it

Didn't they increase slots in the latest patch?

Wtf

Looks like the beta uprising succeeded

>Pengus

This shit makes me laugh way more than it should.

Are they xenophobic?

Do I need to outlaw women now?

W-why?

No theyre spiritualist/collectivist

Yes. Your sole tactic in war must also be zerg rushing with corvettes
Overwhelm the enemy until they give up or die trying

Wouldn't fighters serve the purpose of zerging better?

It also looks better when you see them like a drone swarm attacking enemy.