I want a GTI but I'm worried about that VAG reliability. Has anyone here owned a GTI?

I want a GTI but I'm worried about that VAG reliability. Has anyone here owned a GTI?

Just buy from Carmax and get the warranty.

depends on your location
a gti will more reliably pull vag in stuttgart than it will in cincinatti

wrong type of VAG user.
Volkswagen Auto Group

Bought an 08 gti a while ago for $2500 with 144k miles, didn't know it at the time but the dsg transmission was just about shot. Apparently in the mk5's there was a period of development where the mechatronics unit failed, and bricked a lot of transmissions to the point of a recall. I can't speak for any but a mk5, but it's not as bad as people claim it is reliability wise. Just make sure to change your oil regularly, get it serviced on time, and don't cheap out on the fluids and you should be fine. They're really fun to drive and have a surprisingly large (at least to me) after market scene.

vag unreliability is a meme

After buying a new transmission and flywheel, it ran perfectly fine, kinda stupid having the transmission oil be sealed in tho, as opposed to having a dipstick.

too bad nobody talks about the scirocco here

It's still a Golf.

>t. Hans "dieselgate never happened" Cuckerkraut

top kek

>VW wont bring the Scirocco to the US

MKVI GTI owner. Just hit 40k and not one CEL in four years. It's the most reliable, fun car I've ever owned. Not sure about the MKVII's though, but I hear that they are quite reliable.

Get a german one and youll be fine.

it's literally just a 2-door Golf with a body-kit

And a good looking one at that

>literally

this should answer your questions

You'll never get tired of posting this stupid meme, will you?

You won't because you are too stupid to comprehend what this graph actually means.

Just check the VIN to see if the one you're looking at was built in Mexico.

Wait until you hit 100k, if you plan on keeping it that long.

You need to drive more. Your engine is due to blow in 19k miles.

You know this doesn't actually mean anything, considering it doesn't take into consideration the total amount of each manufacturers car on the road. Porsche and Honda both have 116 problems per 100 vehicles but there are probably 100 Hondas to every 1 Porsche or something like that, so its a really shite graph

W A L L
A
L
L

>US Air Force veteran

Four years and not even 40k miles? You have to actually drive your car if you want to comment on it's reliability.

>My car sat in a garage for ten years and no CEL yet!

Must be good fucking shit!

Damn an 08 for that price? Probably knew about the problem before they sold it to you. I'm really into Vw but I'm not entirely sure why. Currently drive an 04 1.8t with some mods and in the process of trying to get it up to 280 hp and torque. After that I want a Mk3 as a second car because I have some buddies into that. I can attest that up to mk4 they aren't bad to work. Could be better but it's definitely doable.

>vag

I respect that creativity man

>yeah man it's so reliable
>I've only driven it for 40k but trust me!!!

Triple your mileage and we can talk abt the 5 grand loan you're gonna have to take out cuz your engine grenaded

What company Sergeant

>hurrdurrchairforce
>demands mum brings him more tendies

Wew

You cannot consider your car reliable if it has less than 100,000 miles. I know in europe it's acceptable for your car to end up in the junk yard every four years, but for all the shit you krauts talk about American cars i can go jump in almost any domestic sedan from the late 90's with 150k on the clock and it will run fine.

>Buick is somehow near the top
>Volvo is apparently less reliable than most cars on the road

Discarded

Step 1: Keep up on maintenance, a concept foreign to most of the shitboxing NEETs here.
Step 2: enjoy a pretty reliable hatchback.
Step 3: stop asking aut/o/ists for advice

mkVI owner here, I fucking love it for the most part, most of my parts are cheap and the engine is easy to work on, fuck sealed transmissions though.
The only thing I honestly hate about it is that it understeers a bit.
I'm looking to get a real AWD conversion, I fucking hate haldex and want something like the quattro S1

MKIV, I'm retarded

>implying that had anything to do with reliability rather than just ethics and economy

10k miles a year isn't stupid low. 12k is considered average in most places

A acquintance of mine owns one. After more or less 80k km, some tiny plastic-nipple on the gearstick broke, meaning the car couldnt start. Was like 1500 bucks. The engine rasps sometimes, the suspension slowly goes bonkers, sometimes the car wont start at all, it eats its front-tires like breakfast..and if you search the internet, he isnt alone with that sort of problems...its not a meme, its real. Dont buy one.

Just sell it before it hits 100k

+ you cant even fully disable DSC and TC.

i own a 2011 gti. it is very well put together and handles ok. do not buy one, if anything goes wrong you will have a hell of a time diagnosing it and it will cost you an unreasonable amount.

i would buy another if it was almost new and i could get rid of it in less than 3 years

They have lots of small problems, not many big ones. My ยข2 is avoid vag. Get a ST

I bought a MKIV brand new, ran it until 240k miles. My only issue was due to living in a desert certain service intervals needed to be done sooner. The MKVII are beastly man, you'll enjoy it. If you get DSG just be sure to change the fluid as scheduled. Manual versions will need a new clutch if you do any type of power upgrades.

I would rather take small problems than a shitty ford interior on my daily. VW just feels better built and is much nicer inside.

Yes, no reliability issues for the ones not made in the Americas

US who gives a fuck about septics?

I've had 3 golfs

>Mk4 2001
>Mk5 2005
>Mk5 2008

they were all unreliabnle and expensive to put right. I never learned my lesson after the first one but i'm never ever buying vag after the fucking third.

>expensive to put right
>golf
>expensive to fix
kek

not sure what part of bumfuck texas you live in, but in euroland any german parts are expensive, and german cars in general never fucking work right

Not if you live in Germanistan but then again I would never touch a Volkswagen peasantbox Ill just stick with Merc

>Merc

please be bait

Typical Murican that doesnt know how cheap Mercedes repairs are in Germany when you can actually do things yourself.
Just keep driving your mexican chevvys

>but in euroland any german parts are expensive
Not if you're in Germany

i'm not amerifat

how's that muslim assimilation going kraut?

is germany under full sharia law yet?

>5,7% muslim rate
go back to /pol/

go back to Turkey.

>Volkswagen Auto Group
Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft

Mk1 and Mk2 looked better.

MKVII Owner here, wonderful car I bought it 'new' with 76miles on the odometer about 6months ago.

I've taken it on several thousand mile roadtrips and I'm at 12,000 miles rn. Absolutely fantastic, I haven't driven it long enough to determine if it's necessarily 'reliable' or not but so far it hasn't given me a damn issue.

It's pretty quick and fun to drive, the 6speed manual is notchy as shit and feels incredible to shift. I also get 40mpg highway and high 20's driving around the city. I'd recommend it. Handles pretty good too, I don't feel any torque steer due to the electronic front diff and it doesn't understeer as much as you'd expect from a moderately powered FWD vehicle. And it's true, the stock clutch on these 6speeds are quite weak so you have to upgrade it if you do any performance upgrades.

It really really isn't

T. Golf owner who has driven GTIs and Audi A3s

Even the interior is nicer on the GTIs and there's potential for more power unlike with my 2.5 5cyl

She's a beauty
This desu , however I got my Golf in 2015 with 50k and I'm about to hit 90

Ze Germanz

Lol this so much

My friend got one and has issues with DSG gearbox in traffic, its crap as DD so get manual version.

Its not sealed in. it just needs to be changed along with a Filter at 120k Km's. A dispstick would do nothing because the Transmission doesn't lose fluid so theres no level to check.

If the DSG service is done badly it can wreck your trans so at the very least take it to a shop that does it often.

Lulwut.

No it isnt. its not even on the same Chassis. its more like the Eos than it is the Golf

I'm pretty sure Golfs aren't such pussy magnets here as every boyracer claims.

You basically need to drive it like a Manual in traffic. if not it stutters as the clutch doesnt know what to do.

Americans just dont know how to drive.

In Europe the DSG's last longer because most people are coming from a manual trans and already have good driving habits vs in the US where people think the DSG will drive like every other Slushbox they've ever driven.

No fucking VW will ever pull vags dude.
They are and will always remain the go to work and get groceries car.

Haha! No

No on in EU even drives those frog pepe cars

>picked up herpes from a bar off base
>disabled vet

3 years this month. Had a waterpump crack. Covered by warranty. Recall then happened for said waterpumps 6 mos later. Other wise it's been reliable...it could drive anyway with the cracked water pump which was a slow leak. So it's never failed me. Cheap to keep.

Girls in high school and college loved my friend's, hell one time I hooked up with some chick in his car, they love those seats

This

You should get a corolla

One time I hooked up with this chick in the back seat of my best friend's car while he was driving. Like BangBus. True story.

Not so easy to perform while your buddy is three feet away lol.

>I'm looking to get a real AWD conversion, I fucking hate haldex and want something like the quattro S1
Is non-haldex AWD even possible on a mkIV? It's transverse engine, not longitudinal like the good Quattros.

quattro is transverse

I've owned a mk4 TDI, mk5 GT TDI and currently own a mk5 GTI. They have all been reliable vehicles to own but I have kept up on the maintenance of all of them.

The biggest issue I have had was a rear wiper motor needed replacing at 140k miles on the GT TDI.

I'm not sure, some company makes a controller for haldex setups, but I'd like something more mechanical and AWD all the time, it sounds like a waste and I should go with a subie or a mitsu, but I'd like something a tad off the walls.
No it isn't
Pic related

Because its all looks and no go

u wot

Do you think you could replace the electronic clutch the Haldex system uses with a mechanical diff like a Torsen?

>Volvo reliability meme

This doesn`t apply to modern Volvos, you know.

damn i've been fooled

Enjoy your Christians then

pic related

maybe, but it would have to use parts from an older car with the mech setup

>2017
>people are still cucked by religion

got a mkiv last week and the trans is already slushy
granted it was at 170k miles so i kinda took the bait with it, considering just lobbing it on some other poor bastard and getting a jap car

Don't forget to masturbate on the shift knob before selling it. LMAO

Golf/GTI/R are decent vehicles, but like any German vehicle you have to be on the maintenance like a neckbeard on chicken tendies

A lot of the regular maintenance you can do yourself.

6MT doesn't worry about touchy fluid changes for the transmission like the DSG, but the clutch sucks nuts and will slip the moment you even think of a tune. Aftermarket clutch support is great tho

DSG is nice, shifts fast, and the paddle shifters let you pretend you're in a race car, but unless its monitored religiously every 40k for a fluid change, it'll happily shit the bed on you if you neglect it. previous revisions had triptronic issues but the Mk7's so far have a good track record

pretty much what other reasonable anons have said: good car if you take care of it. bad car if you neglect it

>never was in the military
>just disabled

>caring about the environment

V A P E N A T I O N

WRONG. I officer in the air force, you disrespectful cockmaster. Know your pay grade!

I am Greek

who are you?