/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/the_randomizer1889
mediafire.com/file/i2h3mowlkd4yd9v/blueMSX.rar
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/5puaby/help_support_the_yabauze_team_in_creating_perfect/
romhacking.net/hacks/2136/
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/5puaby/comment/dcue824
forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Where-can-I-get-this-x64-build?page=2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is there a way to create/edit custom rdb files for use with custom playlists in RetroArch? I'd like to get some custom icons set up for playlists containing specific series rather than systems. Not to mention it's mostly translated roms and whatnot so the auto-playlist maker doesn't pick them up.

Kinda wish the playlist stuff was more robust because as it stands it's only really for nointro sets.

News:
The latest retroarch nightly has implemented netplay over most cores, including a netplay browser to find games. All you need is the same game and core as the other player (and maybe some open ports).

Still my favorite byuu post ever

Anyone gotten N64 working on netplay?
Me and my friend have SNES and PS1 working fine but N64 always instantly disconnects

was the XMB menu in RA finally fixed to scan for headers or something?

i remember PS1 games ending up in the Saturn menu because both used cue/bins

Anyone know where I can download a preconfigured frontend like emulationstation setup with all emulators and bios included for Windows PC. All that would have to be done is to add roms? The wiki has nices resources for roms but nothing of this nature.

Well emulationstation is a simple frontend to set up, but you'd still need to do a bit of work yourself.
--

Ok, I was hoping for preconfigured images, something like the configured builds available for Raspberry Pi but with the emulators available for PC like Dolphin.

liberto

Emulation

If I netplay with myself, would that be called netmasturbating?

I'd masturbate with you

Don't forget to add me.

steamcommunity.com/id/the_randomizer1889

So where were you today when the best N64 emulator Project64 v2.3.2 was released?

Side note, why is their logo so based? Can this be even topped? Emu devs can't logo I guess.

>So where were you today when the best N64 emulator Project64 v2.3.2 was released?

Approving the post in the mod queue on r/emulation for it.

Where can I get a Japanese msx bios to play metal gear?

This is setup ready to play MG1 and MG2 (including the translated games):
mediafire.com/file/i2h3mowlkd4yd9v/blueMSX.rar

>Me too!

reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/5puaby/help_support_the_yabauze_team_in_creating_perfect/

Thanks senpai

Now we only need a good n64 game

You are one lucky son of a bitch. Pure envy.

Literally why

The only value in Yabause is its debugging capabilities.
It has been outclassed by both SSF and Mednafen

Also apparently actual Yabause development has been at a standstill and progress is being made in uoYabause which is different from Yabause.

OK, on the advice of someone here, I got a DS3 controller. It is now plugged into my Mac. It won't map in OpenEmu, and all it wants to do is blink its four red lights at me.

What is this Nipp sorcery?

No we clearly told you to get a ds2, DS4 or xbox360 wired controller.

Nah. XBox360 doesn't even work natively in OS X- it requires a special driver.

Same with DS2, only it requires a converter.

I may have made a terrible mistake.

I beat dragon roost island and then saw this pic and realized that maybe the GameCube celshading does indeed look better.

Although I like the faster boat speed and better grappling hook mechanics.
I don't know /emu/, should I start over?

Yep.

>you'd rather him spend months working on a vulkan path instead of continuing to make actual improvements?
I think it would be a good investment.

>iirc, vulkan doesn't even have equivalents of all the opengl extensions that pcsx2 uses yet anyway, so it wouldn't even be on par
If that's really true, then I guess I can see why he sticks to ogl. Are you sure about that though?

>why don't you just buy a card with proper support?
waiting for Vega to see if it's worth buying instead of Nvidia.

the wii u has that annoying blur on all the time? how did that get such a good rating? It looks like dogshit

Nintendo can do no wrong, especially by "remastering" a game instead of releasing it as virtual console.

Nobody cares about your shit opinion on software development, faggot. Go cry about it on the forums that hacky piece of garbage must have.

Actually, all the developers interested in improving Yabause (rather than turning it into a Patreon gravytrain) just quietly moved to uoYabause.

The original is being single-handedly propped up by one mediocre lone holdout.

lol ok autist

Now I launched gamecube windwaker on ishiiruka dolphin with the hd texture pack

runs at 30fps on my laptop integrated intel hd4600
fuck my life

I don't want to start over

it looks much better irl

youtube deals very bad with it

>incessantly whining every goddamned week about a development decision that will not be changed

I really don't think I'm the autistic one here, sperglord.

Eh. Of the 4 remakes/remasters on the wiiu/3ds I think WW probably looks the worst, due to all the overdone bloom and whatnot, but it still looks pretty good. And the improved mechanics and gyro aiming is incredible. Seriously, that might be my favorite part of the remake/remasters, the gyro aiming is so much better than shitty analog control.

lol ok autist

Thats why people are uploading 1080p video at the 4k setting now, the YouTube processing ruins shit.

>gyro aiming
not on Cemu unless you think using a mouse AND a controller is reasonable

>bloom
partly fixed in cemu

>inb4 hurr play on hardware
this is /emugen/

>he's into emulating
>he's not using i7+nvidia

look, you don't get to complain that running is hard if you want to use ski boots

>only the emulated versions of games exist
Also, said user is on fucking integrated graphics, I doubt he's emulating a wii u.

I am the same user.

I am playing cemu on my desktop with i7 and gtx970

I tried dolphin now on the laptop with integrated since i'm on the go

>only the emulated versions of games exist
I am not denying the console exists, but this is the place to discuss emulation

play the gc version on your desktop then idiot

>idiot
why the insult?

I just asked the thread if they suggest the hd version or the gc version

no need to get mad at me if you can't follow a post chain

>why the insult?

Because you forgot to suck a log of shit out of my asshole. This is the only payment we accept here at /emugen/ for our help.

Is there a proper changelog for pj64. Has this update even changed anything good?

Yes.

Where can I find this proper changelog? THeir official website is ass and doesn't even seem to stock the nightly builds.

...Yes?

We're dying emugen. If only I could emulate someone to keep this thread alive.

we just need keep the flame lit until march 3rd.

then we'll miss these calm days

Because of all the shitters trying to get BOTW to run on a fledgling emulator that likely won't handle it well for another year?

Indeed.

including myself

It's gonna be fun

Really fun

Possibly me too. If it actually works alright, i might emulate rather than play on WiiU.

well unless there's

a. very bad sound issues like bayo2 or tropical freeze
or
b. very bad light issues like the Riddick daylight vision in XBX

CEMU might be already in a ready state to run it.
Considering also that it's gonna be locked at 30fps like WWHD

How does RA netplay work? I see four rooms but i can't enter any of them.

Awesome, just what I was looking for

You need the same core and same game. It should tell you the core and game.

Do i need to start the game before joining?

I gotta say it.
While the HD remaster is certainly more technically impressive with its new lighting engine, I still prefer the original with a texture pack and post-processing effects.
A game made around the cel-shading graphics style shouldn't selectively include soft shading. It just looks weird to me.

Weird that the comparison shot didn't upload

I don't know. Maybe there's a guide on the libretro site or something.

If RA doesn't know the game's crc yeah you do. I'm currently hosting sor2 but i'm not at home right now

I found the hyppatia texture, what post pro you talk about? I don't want that stupid bloom from gbatemp

>Wide-screen hack
Please refrain from using it

>Looking for a cheap PS2 original controller from ebay since mine went belly up
>Find some japanese seller, remember how japanese people are way more honest than chinese fuckers selling malfunctioning shit and order 1 straight away
>Arrived in mint condition, literally new
>Compare it to my old pad
>Turns out japanese dualshock controlers actually have differences from NA dualshock ones (both can be used in any PS2 though)
>Sticks are a tad smaller, dpad is more protuberant and has a sandpaper-y feel like the analog rubbers, buttons have different heights
>Check if they changed/removed components from within to see if it isn't due replaced parts
>Nothing re-welded, everything original
Neat, gonna order some more

>dpad is more protuberant and has a sandpaper-y feel
That just means it's a new pad and the coating on the dpad didn't wear off

Okay where can I get the NES ROM

CRC: 3FE272FB
SHA-1: A12D74C73A0481599A5D832361D168F4737BBCF6
System: NES-NTSC
Legend of Zelda, The (U) (PRG0) [!]

I'm trying to play this Rom hack that requires it to be PRG0 (whatever that means) I can't find anything that matches the above CRC. The one I have is D7AE93DF which is from No-Intro.

Rom hack in question. romhacking.net/hacks/2136/

Please help senpai, and thanks to anyone who does.

Had a similar problem recently, they list the hash of either the headerless rom or the .prg that the rom contains. use a regular .nes from the no-intro set and it'll work.

I think that's included on GoodSet

Turns out this just isn't worth my time, oh well.

reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/5puaby/comment/dcue824

goodsets are my favorite romsets

Isn't the PS2 "non-retro"? Why the fuck are they talking about it then?

Because it's /v/ and not /vr/.

Hosting another Street Fighter 2 Turbo match, best of 3, I've got some bad blisters from yesterday

What rom?

Not playing anymore, got my ass kicked by someone else right after I posted that.
But it's usually Street Fighter II Turbo (USA)

There's some weirdness to the engine in the Wii U game, specifically the bloom that everyone always bitches about. Gameplay-wise I prefer the wii-u version though.

Jesus christ there are some legitimate retards in that thread.

But overall still better than any /emugen/ thread in the last year or so, sad.

There are niggers in that thread who think that 64 bits makes software virus free or that Vulkan/DX12 = magical increase in performance

Don't forget the retard who said that 64-bit platforms can always run 32-bit applications.

>think that 64 bits makes software virus free
Dolphin was able to get a significant performance increase after porting to 64bit and further optimizing their JIT.

Slow as shit boat and stopping it every second to change direction kills the original version for me.

That's because I've been shitting up the thread for the past year or so in my free time (or when I'm bored).

It's fun to think some of the blatant lies and misinformation I've posted here as fact may have caused someone some genuine frustration and stress.

Dolphin has been working on their 64bit JIT since 2004
It took 12+ years of active development for it to catch up to 32bits.
Do the math yourself in case of PCSX2.

Not him but
forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Where-can-I-get-this-x64-build?page=2
It's getting somewhere at-least, they've worked on it a bit since 2014 just most of it is hidden from regular users because it's not quite ready but it's not that far from usability.

Fast forwardâ„¢

What is better, N64 emulation on PC or N64 emulation through Dolphin (wads)?

Depends on the game, but for most stuff I think Dolphin+VC is the preferred method.

>It took 12+ years of active development for it to catch up to 32bits.
To be quite frank, I don't believe it took them 12+ years to catch up to 32bits. I'm pretty sure the emulator was closed source in 2004 iirc and different people worked on the emulator throughout the years. Even if it did, I don't think that's important because they are amateurs. Only reason I used them as an example is to show that x64 does have good potential for a performance gain.

Dolphin devs still haven't figured out that having a portable shader cache is a good idea. That's something I would have done early on.

>emulating an emulator
This makes me think, how far we can go?

>Gameplay-wise I prefer the wii-u version though
I agree with you on this.
While emulating the Gamecube release with enhanced resolution and textures, in my opinion, looks superior to the Wii U re-release, the Wii U version added quite a lot of improvements to the base game in other areas.

If there was some way to completely remove the weird lighting issues and have it look more like an enhanced Gamecube version, it would be the definitive way to play the game for me.

Of course, since Cemu will never go open source and they're not going to research and add additional features for people unwilling to pay for it, the Gamecube version will always look better.

>Dolphin devs still haven't figured out that having a portable shader cache is a good idea. That's something I would have done early on.
The whole shader cache thing isn't something that was present until latter versions though, at-least that's how I recall it

A win 7 VM with GPU passthrough running PCEmu running RA for win 98 running the PPSSPP core running RA for PSP running that experimental NES emulator for Genesis running SMB

Are any of the NES games reprogrammable like with TASBot at AGDQ to make them play snake or something? That'd be another layer.