Is the 86 the greatest tuner car of this generation?

Serious question. You can pick one up for about 15k here in australia, it's not fast but you're not buying it for that.
Is there any other car (that's new, im not talking older shit) you can pick up 2nd hand that's less than 5 years old that has this much POTENTIAL?

Buy the car for 15 (cheaper if you haggle)
>2k on tires, something really grippy like toyo proxes or ad08r
>Lightweight rims, 2-3k for less unsprung weight
>Quality coilovers, 4k

At this point, it will outhandle FUCKTONS of cars. But it's still dogshit on power, right?
Take your pick of engine, you can put a ls, 2jz, porsche flat 6, even a rotary in depending on your taste. People are doing these swaps left right and center, meaning there are now kits for them and it's cheap to do so.

Say the engine swap costs you another 20k. (it most likely will be less if you do the work yourself).
You now have a super light, really good handling and very fucking fast in a straight line car.

For about 45k, you can easily have something putting out 600+ at the wheels that handles well and you can be proud you've built yourself.

Other urls found in this thread:

carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-86-2012/SSE-AD-4000741/?Cr=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I get the base car sucks, it needs a lot of work. But just keep an open mind about the route of modifying one, it's a fantastic platform with a great chassis.

The only similar thing i can see is a miata, but they're not exactly hardtops and don't have the same rigidity.

You'll get your money's worth if you make the car you dream of instead of waiting for someone else to build it.

>Is the 86 the greatest tuner car of this generation
Yes, but there haven't been that many to begin with. It's going up against the Miata, RX-8 and Z33/4 here, and Renesis a shit and getting anything more out of a VQ is a nightmare because it's a highly strung high compression engine. Maybe throw in used BMWs for the FR/manual combo and similar prices after depreciation.

It'd have trouble standing out against its 90s Jap shitbox predecessors, but given a lack of competition in the last decade it's pretty unmatched.

That's what i believe. I think in the last decade it's got so little competition for tuner platforms, all the other tuner platforms are expensive shit like the GTR and TT lambos or american muscle.

This is dirt cheap with POTENTIAL.
Swap almost everything but the chassis and it can be a monster.

>Is the 86 the greatest tuner car of this generation?
>comes with shitty anemic naturally aspirated boxer 4
no

>People are doing these swaps left right and center
they arent

>it's cheap to do so
definitely not

>(that's new, im not talking older shit
Why does it matter when a car was made if you are going to replace everything

>take your pick of engine, you can put a ls, 2jz, porsche flat 6, even a rotary in depending on your taste
No Veeky Forums poster will ever engine swap an 86, especially an Australian

>You now have a super light
It's not that light

>For about 45k
Obviously, as mentioned earlier, nobody is going to actually dump that kind of money into this shitpile, but that would be hilarious if they did because the car would be worth about $10k and be horrible to drive

This whole thread looks like justifying a garbage car with pipe dreams that will never happen
>well I just have a CAI and a catback exhaust, but I'm thinking about swapping in a twin turbo Porsche flat 6 soon!
Nobody with the mechanical knowhow and access to the means to do things like that would waste their time on a project like that

but why dump a pile of money into a car only to make it perform like a car you could just buy off the shelf for the same money and significantly less work.

Jesus you are a dipshit

Because it won't?

Name a car with 600+ hp that handles well for 45k?
Especially one that light. I get what the OP's saying, it's a niche buy for someone that wants to do it, but for what it is there is no competition.

You really can't name another cheap car that's new and has potential. I cannot think of anything that's not starting at around 40k, like a mustang.

If you're going to samefag you probably should not post in the exact same style as your OP post

He's not me, you understand most people have a grasp of proper grammar and know how to paragraph?

Besides, can you think of anything in the same price bracket with 600+ hp, that light and can handle well?

It's just getting sad at this point man, let it 404 with whatever shred of dignity you have left.

You would love that, because then you would not have to answer his question. the frs is the godmachine, deal with it.

A 996 carrera is around 20k. A 996 turbo is around 30k.
987 cayman s is around 20k also.

>getting anything more out of a VQ is a nightmare

It is already 100hp+ more than the shit heap fa20 and will make 400whp on stock internals...

Show me a 600hp FRS that handles well for $45k that actually exists outside of your 16 year old brain and I'll show you a car for cheaper that handles better.

>Name a car with 600+ hp that handles well for 45k?
NOT a shitbox modified toyobaru! So delusional

modified 911 turbo :^)
or modified c5 z06 :^)
or modified c6 z51 :^)

OP said he was in australia, where there's no fucking way a porsche costs 20k.
Prove me wrong, find one for sale.

There are plenty on speedhunters. Besides, he never claimed it was the best car, he claimed it was the best tuner car at a low price in modern times, which it kinda is.
Can you think of anything better from the last 5 years?

Australian here, good luck getting any of those for less than 100k.

You know camaros here cost 170+ right?

>says the god of american pigfat shit
>"""master mechanic""" who can't even build a car engine in a vidya gayme
discarded opinion

>There are plenty on speedhunters
Cool, now you just need a link, a dyno sheet, and a parts/labor list that shows the cost. Of course none of this will happen, and you are OP referring to yourself in the third person, but why not keep posting? Maybe you can pretend to be yet another user after getting BTFO a few more times.

>responding to trolls
what are you doing

You're fucking delusional for thinking you can modify a good 911 for that cheap.

Or multiple people are just mind boggled you can't read what the OP actually fucking wrote and seem to think 911's are in the same price bracket as a FRS?

>OP said he was in australia
oh, so he can get any 90s japanese car then
toyobaru is a horrible choice for a 'tuner platform' when you live in australia lmao

>There are plenty on speedhunters
LMAOO

It's a pity they booted Tone before he could take to import regulation with the shears. Cunt might've allowed for LHD vehicles.

I reckon most of that cost comes from nobody else wanting to go through the process of importing and having things RHD converted. Maybe it'll be cheaper in a few years as 3D printing becomes better and more common.

There are plenty of 911 builds that are cheaper than 86s on Speedhunters

OP here, i love how this just turned into typical shitposting. Just read what the fuck i wrote.

It was a statement on how value for $, the chassis is quite good. Which it fucking is, no matter what you think of it.

This makes it good for someone wanting to build a car to go fast and nothing else and if you can offer an example of something cheaper with as good a chassis, go ahead and prove me wrong. I cannot think of anything that's not out of the 90's.

I bought an 86 brand new and have no plan of modding the car. I enjoy my fun and reliable car. Are you mad Veeky Forums?

Yeah sure man, in a few years you can just 3d print a steering rack, column, dash, etc.

Why are Australians so stupid Veeky Forums?

>You're fucking delusional for thinking you can modify a good 911 for that cheap
996 turbo costs 30k, 15k on mods
i dont see the problem?

OP is the delusional fool who thinks he can build a shitbox toyota to supercar standards, because thatst he only way you are going to get what OP describes without it being a rattly unreliable ILLEGAL piece of shit

Confirmed for being a fucking dipshit. OP clearly fucking states he's only talking about cars in the last 5 years IN HIS SECOND LINE.
>Is there any other car (that's new, im not talking older shit) you can pick up 2nd hand that's less than 5 years old that has this much POTENTIAL?

He fucking agreed with you that 90's cars are better.
Good god you're a stupid dipshit.

He's australian, can you not read? Porsches there that cost 30k are MISSING ENGINES and shit.
They get luxury car taxed to hell in that shithole.

>This makes it good for someone wanting to build a car to go fast and nothing else
Not with that gutless engine...
>inb4 more delusional engine swap fantasies

>I cannot think of anything that's not out of the 90's
Why should this matter if you are going to completely tear the car '5 year old car' apart?

>OP clearly fucking states he's only talking about cars in the last 5 years IN HIS SECOND LINE
I shouldnt have to explain why this is irrelevant

show me a 15k brz or gt86 in australia. YOU CANT

>Australian
>being allowed to modify a car
>being able to drive said car anywhere without being arrested for attempted hooning
>having enough money to modify a car
>having the knowledge/ability to do anything to a car
>somehow it's relevant how old a car is when you are planning on replacing every part in it
10/10 troll thread

But yet 240s are popular as fuck whilst being even slower and noodle s-chassis

Better chassis rigidity.

I detest the 86, but a lot of you are just shitposting. OP makes a valid point about if you're looking for a very rigid chassis to get down to work and throw quality parts on, a 86 is dirt cheap.
Sure, you can do a better car with a lotus or a vette or a cayman/911, but no fucking way are you going to get those for cheap in Australia.

Disgusting car, but the man has a point. Modern chassis are far more rigid than 90's ones.
You're paying a bit extra to have a better chassis.

Also because anons keep crying about OP IS IN AUSTRALIA...

Good luck getting any engine into the car for less than 20k while keeping it street legal.

carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-86-2012/SSE-AD-4000741/?Cr=0

30 seconds and i found a 18k one, i'm sure there's cheaper.

Half these fucks hating have no idea how modern chassis design works and how on average modern ones are 5 times stiffer?

No-one here makes their shit street legal unless they live in victoria. No other state checks.

>Better chassis rigidity
prove it, whats the torsional rigidity of the toyobaru?

>30 seconds and i found a 18k one
not 15k, and rego is almost out which makes it a 20k car :^)

>and how on average modern ones are 5 times stiffer?
id like to see some numbers. other wise shut the fuck up

>No other state checks
Yeah.. you wont get done on your pink slip inspection in nsw for having a v8 under the hood

You know you can register it, then swap it, then never get brought up right?
Also, of course a fucking modern car has a stiffer chassis than an old one. Are we seriously implying 90's jap cars are stiffer than a modern car? You know they legally HAVE to be stiffer, right?

>You know you can register it, then swap it
and keep swapping it every single year when you need to get a pink slip?

if its not mod plated its illegal and the cops will take it. and there is no way they will not pull over some shitbox race car looking '600hp+' toyota.

rx8 has torsional rigidity of 30,000nm/degree
i doubt the toyobaru is 150,000nm/degree

THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE! THE 86 WASN'T DESIGNED TO GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE!

This reeks of underage, no car, no wrench faggotry.

There's a reason as to why the Australian market is fucking flooded with second hand 86's, they're garbage.

whats your opinion on manuals, drag racing and what car would you buy for 50k

And so was the 240sx. The tuners are not able to buy it new, but they will buy it used and modify them.