blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CZPbi_E2-mw
kickstarter.com/projects/771402568/beardedbear-an-old-school-arcade-shooter-with-rogu
kongregate.com/games/TerryCavanagh_B/chatchat
github.com/pauls313/Space-Station-17
lukesanderson18.github.io/Bum-Note/
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/BlueprintAPI/Online/TurnBased/index.html
youtu.be/UwupgFm6UHA
youtube.com/watch?v=bPOIlHxvJeI
youtube.com/watch?v=_z-cXdFMByM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>random anime image
k

Reminder that this is what you'll become if you use Unity

youtube.com/watch?v=CZPbi_E2-mw

You're right there is a better way for sure.

I want to be able to have a dictionary of the name of the sprite, and the sprite so I can just go sprite - TextureDatabase.GetSprite("Sword"). I also want to be able to easily rename sprite sheet elments

Hey /agdg/! We lauched a Kickstarter for our first game! It's called BeardedBear and it's a action platform roguelike with randomized weapons and lots of cool features!
If you want to give it a go head over to the Kickstarter page:
kickstarter.com/projects/771402568/beardedbear-an-old-school-arcade-shooter-with-rogu

You can download the demo from the game website, every feedback is a huge help from us, so feel free to comment about the game!

charming man

>shilling as a who
Oh, user, you'll be trolled to death. Good luck with your project, nevertheless.

Does anyone know how much of a hassle it is to use F# instead of C# in regards to monogame? Any other recommendations for someone who prefers functional programming?

Fuck off!

literally who

This is a cute OP picture. I see it contains the AGDG logo

I'm using GML and the pause system for my game draws a background gotten from the application surface, but whenever I pause it, the opacity of translucent objects darkens. Is this a bad sign? I have a feeling that it is.

I'm trying a new style I learned about recently, basically you make the texture a color palette, and you just select the faces you want and move them to the right color block. I know it's a bit wasteful, but honestly who cares, it's not like it's going to impact the performance. Plus this way I can zoom in as much as I want without risking to show the pixels in the textures since it's all flat colors.

Tell me something.

I often hear that taking the open world route for indie developpers is a mistake and that it costs too much.
But why does it cost so much ?
What's the difference between making several big zones and making one medium open world ?
It's something I see more in Japanese games. They'd rather make a game with zones (like the Yakuza series- instead of open worlds when they probably have enough contents in these zones to make it one big map.

Finished alternate/mouse controls and polished mechanics a little bit,
I believe I never posted the character throwing the log randomly instead of using it to feed the fire before.

Not sure if you saw my answer because I didn't attach any pic on it
Turns out I hadn't read that one, but I had luck and found it on agdg's google drive. As always impressive work!

What is up aggy daggy
I've been gone for like a week, post progress please!

Zones = easier to manage content, easy to quality control, less things to worry about

Because open world is a stupid meme that nobody can do right and make good. People fail to realize that what they don't want is an open world, because the actualy open world people mimic is empty and boring as shit. Having smaller and multiple zones allow for easier area development and optimization of them, thus making it easier to pack content into individual places and make them more unique and worthwhile while also cutting out unneeded travel time padding that would happen in an open world game.

Smaller zones make it easier to focus on individual things per zone overall instead of worrying about the loads of issues and problems that come with a game being open. There is more for a player to do and you can easily make drastic changes in locations and visuals by just separating zones and saying "You took a boat to X" or "You went through X and found this dank volcano".

There are a lot of people that praise open world to high heaven in Japanese games because they think games like FF7 are open world, but fail to realize that Japanese games, especially JRPGs, are about the illusion of choice and openness and not actually open world, which will ALWAYS work out better in every possible way.

Because open world games are really good for big studios since they can work on different parts of the map concurrently.
As a single dev its burdening yourself with more work and your overall game will feel incoherent

where do u get you are sprites from?

sooo no progress?

I am sprites made by myself.

the aether

I made a lot of progress in World of Warcraft.

i made a lot of progress in diablo 3, your point?

Yeah but in the case of Sleeping Dogs, I think it was really well made.
Same goes for GTA San Andreas and while I know that the atmosphere in Sleeping Dogs is the reason it felt so good, I have no idea why SA's world is more fun than the other games of the series.

But then, why games made with separated zones aren't that popular in the west ?
I can't think of any western recent games that used this system. (I mean games that take places in cities or setting that's normally created in open worlds)

where do i get a girlfriend that will help me making progress?
pic related, the crushing loneliness is killing me from the inside

someone took that picture, you're not fooling anyone.

I started my comfy jam game. I don't think I'll make it.

I like the style. It reminds me of RPG Maker 2003 assets, maybe RPGs like CT and DarkHalf. I especially like the FF black wizard type hat. What's the gameplay will be like?

I responded, by the way, , but I'm glad you could find it either way, and that you liked it despite its dark tone.

still more progress than 95percent of this thread.

>tfw this user finally gets a girlfriend and it was nothing like his expectations
lol @ you

>Video tutorials

>follow tutorial
>memory leak

Thanks. I was aiming for a old pc game look with this, is nice to know I got it right.
Gameplay will be really simple, at least for now. You have to keep the fire alive to keep monsters away. So, when it starts looking weaker you need to look for wood.
I don't want to promise anything yet, because I don't know if I'll get it working in time for the jam, but the original goal was to implement networking so you can sit around the campfire with other guys. It probably will be pretty similar to the cat MMO, to some degree.
>2D or 3D?
As a 1MA I'd have to stick with 2D because sadly I have zero talent for 3D assets.

Don't worry, I got very surprised on how dark things turned out, but I enjoyed it a lot anyway. You are a great writer. I'm glad I was lucky enough to earn your fics.

>watching tutorial
>PascalCasing variables
>camelCasing methods
>non-standard fonts in the IDE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>watching tutorial
You fucked up.

>watch tutorial about thing
>doesn't do thing how I want
>repeat

I eventually just did it without a tutorial. Involved lots of if/else statements.

Hi, toby.

I made a single small enemy sprite. Got music to work after fumbling around a bit. But nothing major really.

I'm so tired of this

Right is better.
I should rewatch Hyouka though, it was so good

whats the cat mmo you refer to?

anyone need voice acting ?

My post on tumblr got liked/reblogged by Black Shell Media

what is this I've seen some posts about it here

can you do cute anime onee-chan voices?

ChatChat, made by the same guy behind VVVVVV

kongregate.com/games/TerryCavanagh_B/chatchat

Looking forward to it! Even if it's out of the scope for a jam game, I wonder how the multiplayer aspect would play. Hope you'll come around to it later. That would be super comfy.

How is networking handled in GM, by the way? Is there a GM server which you "rent" or do you have to set up your own rig?

All those nice words I'm not worthy of. ;_; Thank you and have a nice day!

They're supposed to shill your game for you and take a bunch of the profits.

@166458092
>making fun of sysad
kys

>Modifying the default material in one UE4 project modifies it in every UE4 project

Really?

>Black Shell Media
Seems pretty pointless.

>Steam 30%
>BSM another 30%
>UE4? 5%
So you get 40-35% of the profits from your game, that you developed all on your own.
If you co-own the title, with one other person, that ends up being 20-17% instead. You'll probably already have had to pay for sounds, and maybe even music.

If the game really is great... Then somebody should pick it up, or you can pay some streamer to play it for $200-300 instead.

I'd give away 100% of my game if it sold

pointless if they don't shill the ever-living fuck out of your game, ya

Also what happened to Way of the Red? Even Social Interaction Trainer is outperforming it.

>getting 100% cucked just to get your game out there
Disgusting

they're a """publisher""" whose marketing strategy involves firing up 10-15 twitter bots and flooding various hashtags with projectile e-vomit then taking 30% of your profits in exchange for this valuable ""service""

Acceptable losses. You're not gonna strike it rich with one game alone.

I've already made huge porgress on paying for my apartment on a single game. I don't need to be rich.

Okay so stay the fuck away from Black Shell Media. Got it. Thanks dudes.

no

Not him but I can, will trade for qt nature sprites

SS13 port! Please contribute

github.com/pauls313/Space-Station-17

>implying ss13-likes aren't a creative/productive black hole
Literally at least the 30th person from here to start on something like that

How does Terraria get away with not being pixel perfect? Was I hoodwinked? Did agdg autism about pixels get to me?

normies don't care about pixel autism like /agdg/ does.

play my game jam game here

lukesanderson18.github.io/Bum-Note/

gib feedback
i know the controls are kinda hard to get used to

My nigga, this is my 10th attempt at a port. All of the other attempts failed due to bad engine choice or bad design, but I learned my lesson and found the best engine, plus all I code is meant to be as flexible as possible

I have no idea, it really would just be about how well their service works.

If their service really is twitter bots, then it seem to be pointless.
But their site says they'll put in ads on pc gamer magazines and the likes... But maybe that's just for their very high performing clients.

If they can double your sales, it's worth it (even if you earn a bit less, your next game might get more attention, and better on your resume).

Yes you were hoodwinked. A lot of the top pixel art games have mixels. Normies really don't give a fuck.

Get a load of:
Stardew Valley
Binding of Isaac
Shovel Knight

to name a few

if you want to impress over game devs, make a game that's pixel perfect

if you want to impress players, make a game that's fun to play

shovel knight doesnt have mixels...?
plus its one of the only NES styled games that actually tries to keep the resolution (minus the widescreen of course)

Look more closely at the background, user.

Thanks! I'll do my best on it.
With GM you set up your own server. Pretty simple and straightforward, and I kinda like it better that way.
For this project I wanted to test a different approach and connect through an irc protocol, to make sure I have a working server 24/7. It won't be the most efficient way, and a lot of things could go very wrong, but since the game will be really simple, it seems like a good chance to make the experiment, just for fun.

You are worthy of them, user. You gave me a lot of motiviation I needed. Have a nice day too!

Also they squish the entire screen depending on the resolution, meaning you'll get skewed upscaled pixels.

>Dungeon Souls devs fell for it
Literally everything else they have is shovelware and Dungeon Souls is a RoR ripoff.

Sanctuary Black and Overture did well too.

Ok, I just googled it a little.
Seem like they're a "scam publisher".

Fires up twitter bots, likely only tweeting other bots, and then take a large cut of your revenue.

pay me or no

the controls are kinda hard to get used to

Jokes on them, my game is free

>not doing both
>implying i dev

docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/BlueprintAPI/Online/TurnBased/index.html

EPIC documentation

stupid idea guy nodev with no sense of design

>1ma Open World dev who will never ever finish a game

just limit your scope bro

not him, but im 1ma an open world seemless multiplayer rpg

and im making good progress :)