Have you ever taken your automobile on a Grand Tour?

Have you ever taken your automobile on a Grand Tour?

I used to on my old motorcycle. Hope to do more so with my new motorcycle

150 kilometers is the grandest trip so far.

Mate that's like less than a hundred miles. I do that every weekend to go skiing.

I drove about 400miles or so to drive the midland tick with a bunch of other Brit Veeky Forums posters. Was fun.

Yes. Those locations were work, and I would have normally flown, I figured I had the time. Car is a 2001 S4. Luckily it was summer.

My condolences on living in Detroit

600 mile trips a couple of times.. I love it

was the car reliable (in general)?

that's how far I have to go to get to the nearest city.

1600km for me, over 2 days with a bunch of friends in a volvo v70. that trip alone made it worthwhile to buy that car desu.

It's not that bad outside of the ghetto trash infested areas. Downtown has been getting rather nice, same with some suburbs surrounding the city. I also used Detroit for simplicity. I'm out of Ann Arbor.
>Leave Barcelona
>Move to fucking Detroit
that would be painful.
Yes, previous owner took good care of it, as do I. With the TT's, good regular oil changes, largest oil filter that can fit, and general maintenance will keep them going. Problem I've seen since I moved to US is I've seen plenty of people that bought them beyond their means, and just let them self destruct.

>Problem I've seen since I moved to US is I've seen plenty of people that bought them beyond their means, and just let them self destruct.
And that's why I reckon they have the
>lol! Audi reliability!
Also, people putting the wrong gas in 1.8t's.

Ive done this trip three times. Last time I went from Phoenix to San Diego though. My next road trip is going to be through the Rockies up to Washington.

My friend and I roadtripped his toybota highlander from IL to CO and back once. Originally we somewhat planned to take the miats but in hindsight that would have been a bad move, aside from maybe a few hours of pleasurable mountain driving

I did 2000 miles cross America and Canada in my crapbox this summer and i wont get rid of it since.

If I could bring my car to yurop for cheap I would since renting a car over there cost a fortune.
In France if you are 25 years old and less its literally impossible to rent a car.

this is so not true dude. Go with Sixt. They rented me a 42K euro BMW at age 21.

There are cyclists that think you're a pussy.

Traveling salesman?

As far as I know you can't rent a car under 25 without a cosigner or whatever in North America either.

I've roadtripped from CO to Missouri, CO to Kentucky, and CO to California in my GTI. Pretty fun actually, I love driving for thousands of miles... It's really calming, it kinda distracts you from life.

>Traveling salesman?
Kinda, Las Vegas was for a convention, but everywhere else CNC/Robotics/PLC/Hydraulics techie. I was just checking out what I was going to be working with at each company.

This was expensive as shit but pretty fun.

how much?

I'll give you $12 for it user

Drove from Melb to Exmouth and back

You didn't take dead man's trail to Darwin in a late model Isuzu workmate. Disappointed in you mate.

My best trip, not much but still. Did it comfortably in a day

5000 miles in 9 days

Sometimes I daydream about rising from my desk and setting off on the open road for a grand tour on a whim. Then I remember I have no car or real savings.

Same deal with Chicago. Life is bretty gud if you can afford to live in the gentrified areas niggers can't afford.

Summer 2014 through Germany:
>Hamburg, Wolfsburg, Leipzig, Walhalla (Donaustauf), Ingolstadt, Munich, Ulm, Stuttgart, Nürburgring, Cologne, Hamburg
Visited the main car factories and their museums: VW, Audi, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes
And of course I drove the Nürburgring

Summer 2015 to South Tyrol (northern Italy), drove some mountain passes there for a few days, visited Switzerland

You give me a time and a place, I give you a five minute window. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything happens a minute either side of that and you're on your own. Do you understand?

Observed.

yes
>own a volvo
>drove it to IPD headquarters twice
all volvos should be so lucky

Did it in 5 days total.

I'm touring across the US as we speak. In a town called Oroville arm. There were heaps of sirens before but it's quiet a.f. now. Good to catch up on some sleep finally.

Here's my tour

I've done similar, SF to NYC in 5 days on 50/70. Highly recommend 50 from Tahoe to Colorado, I've been on every route West of the Mississippi for the most part and it's the best long section

Drove my free car I got in high school back in 04 to Panama and back. Bought a motorcycle in Wales and sold it in Greece after coming through North Africa. Wanted to check out the dakkar but can't figure out how

Isn't Oroville evacuated now? Should probably look at the news bro you're in the line of fjre

Lost all my DSLR photos of my road trips. Only have a few taken with shitty phone.

If you haven't been on I-8 I highly recommend it.

Seeing the dunes and all the blowing sand blew my fucking mind.

He is the danger

Desert View Tower

Was driving my dad's Volvo back to Yekaterineburg, took a detour via Nordkapp.

Took longer then expected.

>how much?
Not that guy, but those hotels really rack up the costs. Each night is another big fat charge. So if you like to take your time seeing the country, that's another big fee every night.

So, you want to take 4 weeks to cross the country? That's still a bit fast in my opinion because there are lots of things to do or explore wherever I go. But 4 weeks is probably 24 days of hotel expenses at $100 (if I am lucky, but more likely it is $150 after taxes). So right off the bat it's $2500 or so for hotel expenses after all those taxes.

If you don't pre-shop the hotel and mention the offer at check-in, you can pay $148 for the same room that is $98. They don't and won't tell you that the advertised offer exists.

>Washington
Washington's nice due to the combination of straight roads for travel or winding roads if you seek them out. If you like visiting parks or driving scenic roads, look up some of the past archived Veeky Forums Meet threads to see the routes they took through various park roads and communities.

i miss this old type of train cars

I just wish people stop putting their feet on everything. It's why I don't go to movie theatres since people walk on the sticky soda pop floor and then put their shoes up on the seats. Pig disgusting. I don't trust my clothing after I visit a theatre, so I lay a towel on the seat when driving out to eat after the theatre or going home. Then I have to change into new clothes.

the life of

sdom
d
o
m

Not as grand as driving the width of America or Australia but driving to Scotland is like driving to another country nowadays anyway.

The Edinburgh Fringe is an amazing festival btw

Are you stopping in Arizona? If so, where in?

She could take my face on a grand tour desu

not even joking this is the most autistic thing ive read on this site

What do you do to keep the costs down when you need to sleep somewhere? Washing up and bathing are important to me, but hotels are expensive.

Lmao I'm going to be down there for work this week. Shit sucks, ruins paint and glass on cars.

When I went the first two times I just payed for the hotels. Cost way to much though. I think I spent like $1000 just on hotels. Ill never do that again. The third time I went I just slept in my car at rest stops and walmarts. You can get a shower at trucks stops for like $10. I just did hobo baths at rest stops. The third trip was more about seeing as much shit as I could and hitting all the tourist stuff possible. Wasnt really worried if I stunk a little. I did a lot of /out/ stuff so no one was around to smell me. Just shaved and washed the dirt ff my face.

Midtown is decent

I stopped in phoenix for a night to meet up with a high school friend.

15500km in 3.5 weeks.

>The third time I went I just slept in my car at rest stops and walmarts.
I hope walmarts still allow people with out of state plates to get a nap. My two local walmarts do not allow any nappers or campers due to the homeless & mugger problem. The thieves/muggers come and actively rob the person. My two walmarts got afraid of lawsuits and simply had the security patrol tell each camper they have to go.

Where at in Ann Arbor you fag?

I did it in 8 days, didn't stop for shit. My housemate picked up the hotels and I bought gas and food. Our version of splitting up the driving was he drove all the way there and I drove the whole way back.

I once moved 1200 miles with everything I own (minus a couple vehicles which were stored) in the back of a Mazda RX8. I've made the same 1200 mile trip back and forth at least 3 times in the last 2 years in the same car.

I didnt have any issues anywhere in the south west. Most Walmarts are somewhat OK with people sleeping in the lot. Ive traveled a lot in my lifetime and I can honestly say just about every Walmart in the US has a homeless person sleeping in the lot. Just dont draw attention to yourself like parking way in the back all alone. Park a few spaces away for a car and hop in the back and sleep. The main thing is dont hang around the lot. Park, sleep, wake up, leave. Good luck and keep your doors locked.

>five minutes
>5 fives

Drove my shitbox scion about 2500 miles over 4 days a couple weeks ago. NY to southern GA and back, couch surfing the whole time. Spent less than $200 overall

>150 kilometers is the grandest trip so far.
So basically, you don't do any trips longer than a day so far. I'm like that since there's a lot of other things besides work to do all the time.

Did Syracuse, NY to Tucson, AZ in a bugeye WRX wagon.

mega comfy, and southern texas is awesome!

I ride to Daytona Beach and back twice a year too so stamina isn't an issue. I will say that I've had it with southern PA though

>and southern texas is awesome
Said no one ever

well you have to leave your basement to see it

This

did a 10k mile trip through the American west, stopping and camping at most of the national parks in that area and a few national forests and state parks as well in a ford exploder.

>Have you ever taken your automobile on a Grand Tour?

I tried to plan out the costs of several different trips using the internet to find the lowest cost hotel prices and assumed that food and gasoline were zero cost. It's amazingly expensive to drive slowly to see the sights. If I drove fast and ignored all side trips just to reach the destination, did nothing at the destination, and drove back ASAP, then costs were still high due to hotel.

It's like hotels all switched to pricing for the business traveler using expense accounts.

Yes, I know someone is bound to say "Go to a really cheap motel" but I don't want fleas, bedbugs, or my nice new car to be broken into.

i want to lick those legs