YEC

>Ken Ham is causing much more people to lose their faith than Dawkins and his underlings could ever achieve in their wildest dreams.
How true is this statement?

Other urls found in this thread:

asa3.org/ASA/resources/Wiens.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism#Australia
answersingenesis.org/astronomy/starlight/does-distant-starlight-prove-the-universe-is-old/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We can't be sure unless they tell us. But in my opinion, I think that because of confirmation bias, if you hear people that you agree with or take information from be wrong or incorrect or intellectually dishonest, I think it persuades people more often to leave the ideology.
Furthermore, I think even atheists and people who claim to be skeptical myself. I myself am an agnostic atheist. But, honestly, I don't think I would ever embrace any religion. Even if I saw some evidence, I'd immediately deny it as fake because of my confirmation bias.

As humans, we must learn to avoid this sort of thing.

Definitely true in my case. If people like Ken Ham hadn't chosen 7 day literal creation as their hill to die on, I might still trust clergy/religious leaders

Really. Catholics say there is no problem with being a Christian and believing in evolution and the big bang.

Christians who say the earth is 6000 years old are really doing Christianity more harm than good.

If Veeky Forums has taught me one thing, it's that American Protestants are some of the shittiest denominations of Christianity outside of Africa.

That and meteoritic iron.

That part is really cool.

Same. Before, when I heard arguments from quite a while ago, I was told that the bible must be taken literally. It felt like an all-or-nothing situation. If the bible could be fallible, which I kinda saw, in my own opinion, I abandoned it altogether. In addition, the place where the events of the bible took place (mostly Israel) is very small, and is shared by the abrahamic religions. I can't understand why most people's world view is shaped by a religion. That's why Iranian theocracy and Saudi Arabia and grr.
Also, it's been changed so much throughout history due to political motive and translation. At this point, it's probably got more dirt than a Taiwanese hooker. So, at this point, why trust it?

For the most part this is true. There are a few level-headed protties here (myself included), but only a few.

>I know the Earth is billions of years old

Were you there?

>Implying that this is a valid argument

Literally the moste retarded argument against evolution. We can observe the age of the earth.

what a fag

>Based on the one year I spent looking at this rock, I can safely assume the planet is NINE THOUSAND TRILLION YEARS OLD

Darwinists should be institutionalized.

>nine thousand trillion years old
get out of here, you're scientifically illiterate

what a straw man

>straw man

I bet he (((evolved))) from a straw monkey too.

>I have no idea what various methods can be used to date rocks or how those methods were tested.
How about you go search for some articles on the subject and then get back to us.

The Pope says there is nothing wrong with evolution.

I suppose you are a heretic.

False equivocation.

>tested

Yes, please tell me about the time they tested the unknown rocks dated at billions of years ago against the known rock someone personally observed for billions of years.

How do you know Bible wasn't fabricated by papists back in Nicea?

Ken Ham is completely irrelevant today but he definitely did that back in the 00's.

>Ethiopian Christianity is bad.

I'm a Somali and I can say that they have their few good points, they just never stop talking about them.

I can see how this could be true. Personally I think I held on to faith as long as I had because I was told at a very young age that, although the Bible is correct, stuff like the creation account had been corrupted over time from being part of an oral tradition only later put to writing. Because of this I was able to see a ton of evidence contradicting the Bible, accept it, and keep on believing. Eventually I looked back and saw that there was nothing left in the Bible that I could point to and say "This was inspired by God. This is the core truth that I have been looking for."

Also the Bible doesn't specifically say the earth is 6000. They just guessed based on how long people are supposedly alive for in the narrative.

asa3.org/ASA/resources/Wiens.html

Umberto Eco once theorized that religious customs change with media methods, and that religions which build the new media into their method of propagation see dramatic rises.

This explains why Christianity took off the way it did: Because Christianity is conveyed through the bible, which is a book, and so if you access the world through books, it's great. While the previous Roman and other 'pagan' practices were primarily an oral tradition.

He theorized that we would see the emergence of new religious modes in the next century, as an adaptation to the internet. But I think Protestantism is already a religion built around shitposting.

I mean, think about it: What is a chick tract but a way to shitpost anonymously IRL? Jack Chick encourages you to leave the things around anonymously, in public bathrooms, at bars, anywhere someone, anyone, might accidentally read it.

Protestantism does away with oral, visual and musical storytelling as means of propagating the faith. Because the center of their faith is shitposting.

Ethiopian Christians are cool, because they've been at it almost longer than anyone. When people talk about "African Christianity" they're talking about places like Uganda, and Kenya, which produce same grade A crazy.

Catholic priest who was also a physicist developed the Big Bang theory.

Atheists were considered BTFO at the time because it was evidence of a singular moment that all matter and energy came into being, easily interpreted as the moment of creation.

>>Ken Ham is causing much more people to lose their faith than Dawkins and his underlings could ever achieve in their wildest dreams

Oh definitely. Along with Scholasticism, creationism is the single best thing that ever happened to atheism. Scholasticism made people like David Hume into intellectual heroes, and creationism is even more extreme. It actually makes people look up to the new atheists, despite that few of them possess any intellectual depth.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that both Scholasticism and creationism were invented by secret spiteful atheists who wanted to destroy Christianity ftom the inside. It's basically the doctrine of accelerationism applied to Christianity

actually a lot of the african fundies are descended from american missionary activities e.g. pentecostals speaking in tongues etc.

most christians outside america don't believe in creationism so these theories don't affect them

actually some denominations have been outspoken in condemning creationism

How common are these beliefs in America tofay?

>responding to b8

>creationists don't exist dude science lmao

They had some legitimacy in the 00's but are pretty much unheard of today outside baptist schools.

Daily reminder that YEC is Australian bantz that Americans took literally

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism#Australia

But why would the Bible lie about the 7 day creation?

>based on a book made by some random savage, I can know for a FACT that the world is only THOUSANDS OF YEARS OLD
The diffrence is that the rock is being studied by people who know what they're doing

>Bazza, what if *sniggers* what if we pretend to actually believe in this? Think the Seppos would it it up?
>HAHAHA Do it, Bruce, go ahead!

Just posting to counter creation cucks

Is this supposed to be an argument?

Congratulations for the (You)s user.

Still, sage, because your bait is incredibly lazy and unoriginal, 4/10.

Consider the following:
Jews are a fairly intelligent people, we know. The old testament is filled with intelligent hygiene laws for its time and many practices made a lot of sense for their time. Genesis 1 still clearly has the (literal) contradiction of days existing before the sun and the moon. Would these intelligent people who study this book daily and committed it to memory not pick this "contradiction" up? Consider that it might have been a metaphor from the start. Give people some credit, mate.

more

Consider the following:
Americans were a fairly intelligent people, as far as we know. The world was filled with their military bases and their technological and gdp edge above most of the rest of the world was quiet impressive for their time.
George Bush junior believed that the-at this time obvious-error of intelligent design should be teached at schools.
How could the american elite not pick this contradiction up? Consider that he might not have meant it that way as one of the most powerful world leaders 400 years ago, give people some credit mate.

Exactly. I use to be Christian and i think time and time again that if i was brought up catholic, where they are more flexible on these tops, i would still possibly be christian, or at least had my soul saved. Say what you want about catholic, proddys, but at least they are getting people into heaven where proddys and baptist specifically are the reason for the fall of christianity in america as i see it. coupled with it being the information era, europe is going back to paganism and america is going atheist (even though i dont care for atheist) so gj proddys for killing Christianity.

DEY EAT DA POO POO

It's a lie from the pit of hell, is what it is.

Is taking your birthdate to today and doing the math "guessing" how old you are?

& Humanities was a mistake

>I use to be Christian

Why lie on a Mongolian stamp collecting board?

>Genesis 1 still clearly has the (literal) contradiction of days existing before the sun and the moon.

Can God tell time without a sun and a moon?

They have no idea what they're doing, and their assumptions virtually eliminate any possibility that they come up with a correct date for any object observed radiometrically.

You think ID is debunked, right when it's coming into its own.

kek

Do you know how finely tuned this universe is for life?

That if the cosmological constant varied 1 part in 10^120, there would be NO life at all?

Can you even imagine how remote that variation would have to be?

It would be like you having 10^40 chances at picking one particular electron IN THE UNIVERSE.

Atheists are BTFO, by everyone.

Catholics are BTFO by the bible.

Well, suppose ID is real. We have to be honest with one another and ourselves at least, and drop the I in ID. Because God or said designer, isnt really good at it.

Create a better universe, and then we'll talk.

ex nihilo, of course.

You know we're nowhere near storing information as well as DNA does, yes? Nowhere near making organic replicators as well as RNA does? Nowhere near making nanomachines as refined as mitochondria are? Nowhere near creating life itself?

If the truth drives you away from the truth, you weren't looking for the truth to begin with.

This sort of satanic disinfo campaign reeks of hellfire.

By the way, learn to wash your ass better. You "playground next to sewer treatment plant" idiots are always nasty.

Isnt Creationism on the rise in places like Kentucky and so on?

>creationism is on the rise in literal Meth Hills and bigots
wow colored me shocked

>we haven't perfectly recreated structures and processes that formed over the course of billions of years worth of trial and error yet

wtf I hate science now

>we cant do it but some dude that is undetectable by all means totally did it on the grounds of no reason and do not question him on whether or not it could have been done better
Just because we cant do something does not imply that something greater than us did it. There is no reason to think something did it, the only reason ID is even brought up is because protestants and some jews, want their personal beliefs to be backed by science. Its no different than creationism. And creationism is not just a joke but also causing many young christians to fall from the church, which will lead to the fall of christianity in the western world.
According to your idea, there is no reason, then, to not think that aliens could have created life on earth. That a preexisting developed, far more intelligent life form came down and made life on earth.
Do i believe that? of course not. and to believe an invisible alien did it is even more preposterous.
You might add that "soemthing would have had to created THAT alien in order to create us," implying that god created them, but then who created god. a God god? does it matter? if it doesnt matter why would it matter what created us?
Stay humble. youre keeping jesus proud downtalking poor people as if they are below you.

>trained scientists with years of experimentaion know less than some anonymous guy on the internet

you have
>dudes who just made it up as they go along based on voices in their heads who they claim, on no supported reason, is god talking to them giving them "truths"
or
>dudes who invented clean rooms, to study zircon debris, to date the youngest possible date for our solar system's creation, thus including earth's fetus years of development

Aliens did create everything. God is an alien.

You have people who believe God, Who did it, and people who do not.

>god did it because the bible tells me so
>and the bible never lies
>the bible told me so

God did it whether He told anyone to write it down or not.

>dodging the point
what gives me reason to think that your version is any more true than the greek myths about the begininng?

The pictures of the earth with no huge man holding it on his shoulders, for one.

I wonder what percentage of people actually believe in young earth creationism

not on this site, literally nobody on all of Veeky Forums believes in that, but wondering worldwide

USA seems like its only a vocal minority but in countries without decent education it could get pretty high

How about the radioisotopes and visible stars several million light years away that imply that the earth is much older than YEC want to believe?

>not having faith that atlas is holding up the world right now
Kids these days am i right?

They just dodge this by claiming that time isn't constant.

Controlled opposition!

Is there an observable basis for this?

Straight from the horse's lying mouth.
answersingenesis.org/astronomy/starlight/does-distant-starlight-prove-the-universe-is-old/

This seems contradictory

To you.

You forgot to say LOL

That article literally tries to use time zones to say a two hour flight leaving at 4pm eastern and landing at 4pm central can be considered an instantaneous trip holy fuck

Also they talk about relativity in a way that doesn't feel like they actually understand it.

>like they don't understand it
>like
Never underestimate the ignorance of these people. Also, they love political cartoons, like this one.

This looks like the art from one of the creationist comics

How many millions of years of radioactive decay occurred at the absolute beginning?

What was the effect of the mile plus layer of water over the earth for over a year?

What would you see if all of the stars used to be closer to us, but God stretched out the heavens to their current spot?

What would light look like if God stretched it billions of light years in an instant?

You do know all of those stars are dead now, yes? They're gone? The further out they are, the deader they are? And that closing sphere of dead stars is retracting back to the earth?

Oh, no, you wouldn't know that, because you don't know that the bible states the stars will fall from the sky.

God moved a star a million light years away; you see the trail headed away from us in all directions; that star is gone.

Hell, the sun could have gone nova while I typed this and you still wouldn't know it.

So no, the stars declare the glory of God, not refute His existence.

It is, someone just swapped the words "evolution" and "creation" to make their point.

Gravitational time dilation is a lie?

kek

You couldn't understand that point?

You take off at 4 pm and land at 4 pm and say you had 0 time in transit, because you were essentially flying at and against the rotational speed of the earth.

Really not a difficult thing to understand. Relative time lapse v universal time lapse.

Decay happens over time so at the "beginning" no decay had occurrd yet

If there had ever been that much water, where is it now? Matter is neither created nor destroyed

That depends on if your hypothetical shift happened instantaneously or slower than the speed of light

Do you even know what a photon is

They very well may be dead, astronomers have estimated life cycles of most types of stsrs(which are millions or even billions of years long)

Are you implying that a supernova is the same as "falling from the sky"?

If the star is a million light years away and we see the END of it, the light of its super nova travelled a million light years, a million years

You wouldn't know it either, we'd be dead

I really don't understand what you are getting at here

And
Please dont tell me you think time zones have anything to do with general relativity? The earth is a sphere, and we measure time on earth by its rotation. The plane was took off at "2"pm central and landed at "6"pm eastern. Two hours took place, both locations just started measuring at a different point in the same goddamn rotation
Next you're gonna tell me stepping over the GA-AL border is time travel

Assumption: Decay happens over time.

Question: Does that count at t = 0?

The water is the blue on the globes you have seen. It has not always been there. There are further fountains of the deep you do not know about. There are oceans of water locked into the crust of the earth. There is a massive amount of water in the atmosphere.

When God stretched out the heavens, He was here the next day to go on creating. So yes. The heavens were stretched out in less than one 24 hour day.

I do know what photons are, and I do know that your assumption of a photon leaving a star a billion light years away and hitting your eye a billion years later is not real.

The further out and faster the star was taken away from us, the faster it died. Billions of years to it; thousands of years to us. Both are possible at the same time, and actually called for in special relativity. Moreover, if the earth indeed is at the center of the universe, then the gravitational time dilation of the universe being far more compacted around us would have had a far greater effect.

The bible says the stars will fall from the sky. You can imagine that however you will, but one day, the stars will fall from the sky and be seen no more.

I'm saying that the example of relative time v universal time was lost on you. That the very simple example of a flight leaving one place at 4 pm on Saturday and arriving at another place at 4 pm on Saturday does not mean that no time passed. It means that relative to the flyer, there was no time lost. So from his frame of reference, the flight took zero time.

God is the best explanation for the existence of the universe, the apparent fine tuning, and the existence of objective morality. There are other theories for these things but they're not satisfying and they make many more assumptions so if you so examine these arguments and apply Occam's razor than it is completely rational to be a theist.

If all it took for somebody to abandon their faith was some goofy protestant spouting off on things they know nothing about then their faith was never worth a damn to begin with. Maybe it's just a failure on the parents part for not teaching them what Christianity is and why we believe the things we do. I grew up in a completely irreligious house and I reasoned myself into religion by examining the arguments until it got to a point where I had no choice but to accept god. There are plenty of dumb Christians that believe dumb things for dumb reasons but that doesn't mean its wrong and it isn't going to cause me to abandon the truth as I currently know it. I suppose if you don't reason yourself into a belief, reason isn't going to be the cause of its abandonment.

>crossing arbitrary time zones is time travel
The only thing the flight saves the passenger is hours spent in sunlight. It is light and dark on the earth at the same time, this isn't relativity in the sense of the theory that the author was trying to talk about

Tbh im too lazy to bother with the rest. Why dont you try one topic at a time instead of spamming questions

>and the existence of objective morality.
but objective morality doesn't exist

If God designed the universe he created one that is pretty damn indifferent to human existence

How do you know that god would not create a universe like ours?

What would be the point of creating a universe so big?

The results are in.