Name a better, cheap sports car. I'll wait

Name a better, cheap sports car. I'll wait.

>porsche
>cheap running cost
whut?

Miata

2008 Acura CSX type S

They are not expensive right now.

ill accept that.

It's a volkswagen/Audi with a porsche badge

Miata
MR-S
RX-7
S2000
350Z

if you want to count not really sports car types
Mustang
Camaro
Firebird

hell if you want to count FWD

RSX
Integra GS-R
Prelude
Civic Si
CRX Si
MX-6
Probe

that was the 924 and 914.
take it to a garage and you'll find out. You can run them for reasonable costs but you'll have to know where to look and what you're doing.

/thread

the 944 and 924S actually had half a porsche engine

Lol You wish. I owned one of those and it was nearly the most expensive car I've ever fucking owned.
Monthly maintenance was upwards of $1200, and that's if nothing major broke.

I wish I had listened to the internet before I bought that piece of shit

These pieces of shit are always breaking down on the track, spilling fluids all over, and shutting down the facility for clean up.

I cringe whenever I see one of these show up.

2k for a belt and water pump change every 30k miles.

Clutch cost 800 dollars...just for the clutch not the labor.

Tons of fiddly little bit goes wrong with them like the DME so it wont start reliably.

Fuck these cars

>t. used to own a 944

see:

Mark 3 supra
7mgte or 1jz r154

Honestly you can't beat it. Get a good one for around 12k and spend maybe another 5k to bring it back to as new with bone stock parts.

Spend 2k on a car with body and running gear and beat motor. Spend 13k and you get a street legal roll caged monster with an s2 engine.

Spend 5 k more and you can replicate a turbo Club Sport.

But in the end you have a car that pretty darn much beats anything else out there for far less cost than what it takes to get a shitbox rice burner or euro box- or even the current trash rejuvenated muscle car to be a bone stock 944.

Buy a 968 with a turbo in Club Sport trim to get overwhelming advantage on both track and street.

And before you do it's a VW... learn your history. VW paid Porsche to design a transaxle water cooled car. OPEC screwed VW's plans. Porsche offered to buy back their design from VW. VW agreed. That's how the 924 line started.

And before you go AUDI engine. AMC contacted AUDI in an intention to get a 4 cylinder performance engine block. The intent was to take the AUDI block, add an AMC head and a large ass carb system. Thanks to OPEC & money problems- AMC had to back out.

AUDI had retooled for the new block. VW couldn't afford to re-retool. BOSCH had the new jetronic system and wanted a performance car to put it on to prove they finally had the best injection system possible. Porsche had long range plans to take the 924 through multiple engine iterations over a 20 year plan.

Porsche bought the AMC contract. Refined the block to Porsche needs, slapped BOSCH on the fuel supply with a custom Porsche head and intake.

And from 1978-1995 the transaxle series was born.

FC rx7 is literally the cheaper better 944

mazda miat

I love RX7 cars. However, who would you let crack your case to fix the now 30 year old rotor? Plus they are now 3 types. Garage queens waiting for a boomer to die before they will get on the market. Rusted out oddities sitting on sketchy used car lots run by Vinny. Or the wanna be track car with 15 year old NOS Mazdaspeed components that blows oil smoke every time it goes through a curve.

Did an LS swap into a 944 back in high school.

>mfw literally shunned by any and all local porsche enthusiasts
>IT'S A FUCKIN VETTE IN A PORSCHE'S SKIN YOU FAGGOT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
and it still felt like nothing more than a german shitbox with an american engine in it

Its a rotary
Probably easier and cheaper to rebuild than try diagnose electrical issues in the porsche

caterham 7

Sure, great car for cruising from the hair salon to the gaybar

C-cheap!? You're joking, right? I used to mull over picking myself up a 944, maybe an S2. There's a Porsche speed shop just around the corner from me, so I popped in to ask some questions. The cost of ownership for these things is fucking astronomical, because they break, a lot, and the parts are expensive and all purchased second hand. Due to all of that, you will pay out your ass in insurance, so even if you manage to go a year without breaking your Porsche, you'll still be bled dry.

Mini Cooper S

>muh self-image

I'll tell you again, it's not the cars fault that you bought a shit example.

/month maintenance
You're doing it wrong
>800 clutch
Again wrong see pic related
>2000 water pump and timing belts
That's pretty high if it doesn't include pulleys, even then if you don't do this yourself then fuck off
>always kil on track
Well then your group needs stiffer tech requirements. I have yet to see a prepped car die like that without a clear fuckup and I work at a track.

I am not here to argue that it's better than a Miata for the avg person. its a Porsche, not a Mazda. Don't expect Mazda running costs. If you don't love them already then don't bother with it.

I'm sick of the misinformation about these cars. It takes half a brain to keep them running great, and they drive like a coupe Miata.

But don't expect an awesome Porsche for $2k.

>t. Current 944 owner and racer

Whoops see attached pic

ayyy whats up badge whore.

Literally anything.

I did the water pump and timing belt service on a 944 in a weekend by myself watching youtube videos. It was my first "big" job I ever did on a car. If I can do it you can. Only thing I'm worried about is the clutch, but mine should be good for a long time and its my weekend car so nbd.

and modded 944 turbos are so fucking cool.

Literally still 20-25000 for a good one in Turncoat Turnbulls australia.

>caterham
good car to look like an absolute wanker on any normal road

actually a combination of all three.

>miata
>S2000

but no ma70
not a good list/10

>Caterham
Those things are basically go-karts with indicators and, therefore, are terrible on the road

Or spend:
$2000 intega gs/ls
$2000 built bottom end + rebuild
$2000 built tranny
$1500 suspension & axles
$1000 turbo kit enough for 3-500hp
$500 dyno tune

Or you can be me and get everything on forums for deals and have a 500fwhp integra for 5k.

I bet none of those included the flywheel, which need to be replaced since it's a rubber hubbed pos.

Mitsubishi Starion / Conquest.

'80s RWD boxy coupe with pop-ups and turbocharging.

C4

Performance aside, cheaper to repair, maintain, and insure.

Unironically a 90s era V8 Firebird

>cheap to buy
>cheap and relatively infrequent maintenance
>parts can be found anywhere and everywhere
>good performance
>cool look (IMO)

Corvair

>a good one
>12k
i am not trying to be shitty (as i mostly agree with you) but wtf where are you that prices are so high? a logbooked, winning spec 944 sells regularly under $10k usd, but mid pack cars like mine can be done for around $5-6k.

I feel like at the prices you are talking about you mean a show quality car?

meh

>RX7
>cheap
what the fuck?

>Relatively infrequent maintenance
I have one word for you senpai:

O P T I S P A R K

>porsche
>cheap
pick one

guess how i know you don't know shit about 944s?

An FC. A good FD will run you about 20k though

he said "sports car"

Bought this as a garage queen from a Mazda mechanic who bought from a boomer. Only has 48k miles on it. Cost me $4500.

Who else /944shitbox/ here

>light, fast, stylized two-door coupes
>not sports cars

This is a dumb meme

theyre not though

theyre shitbox coupes with V8s

As much as I hate the "Miat-uh for the gay peoples" meme, that image is fucking gold.

Is-is that a starion with porche badges?

We are over in /pog/

Yeah, owned one for a while too, I think I paid about 2k in maintenance over the course of two years and it ran perfectly. You need to take diligent care of them, but they're not inherent nightmares if you buy one in running condition.

they're fine on the road though

I'd rather drive this

slower and much more expensive to maintain then my saturn
>lololololol
>have fun with your interference engine

>have fun with your interference engine
easy way to spot a complete retard who knows nothing about cars: they say shit like this lol

>hey your engine actually has high compression LOL faggot

you'll love this, then

get shown up by a true racecar

duh fuck are you talking about. you sound like a retard

I could break his twig legs with my eyebrows

OP said sports car you delusional fuck. You have a parts bin special econobox with a half decent engine and suspension (which is still far worse than the slobalt SS tc) with no other redeeming qualities. It's fine to love your car but don't think its something it will never be.

>bragging about a Saturn
>lololololololololololol
Oh dear I think he's serious

lol i have the turbo SS Fe5 suspension and just as much power...
not bragging and didnt claim it was a sports car just saying the porsche 944 is slower and less reliable in ever measure than a fucking Saturn Ion

>"I didn't read the OP"
>"lol I have the turbo SS who gives a shit suspension and blah blah"
>"not bragging"
>in the same post

Your reading comprehension needs work. Also you have shit taste in automobiles. That is pretty bad coming from a 944 guy.

So you have more hp. Good for you. I have one of the greatest chassis of the era. Oh and
>rwd