Hello, I'm buying my first car and I have no idea about anything about them

Hello, I'm buying my first car and I have no idea about anything about them.

Background:
>20 year old student (live at home still)
>1.3k€ money for car

I need somewhat reliable car for next 3-4 years, with cheap consumption of gas and maintainance if something brakes down.. if possible still in use from first owner that took good care of it and has around 200.000 kilometres.

What should I look for and check when buying a car? My father taught me nothing about cars, neither do we speak anymore. Was raised by single mom that has no idea about life. So in general, what the hell should I get as my first car and be careful with when buying them? Give me advice as if you are giving advice to your son.

I know a lot of people buy VW Golf Basis 1.9, Rabbit, Passat, etc.. also Meganes, Clios,..

However, I'm so insecure about cars that I'd rather ask here first and then call around for help. It's embarassing how little I know about cars as a guy, but no-one was there to teach me better.

>help

I'm also from Europe (Slovenia) and got drivers license for 2 years already, drive a lot, but just don't have my own car yet.

twingo a best

>It's embarrassing how little I know about cars as a guy,

no it's not, if you arent a car guy you aren't a car guy stop being an insecure lil shit.

now that being said i can't help you because i dont know the used car market in the UK as I am from the US.

Nah, fucking hate twingos. Even if I was a girl I wouldn't buy this.

Civic for 1.3k

Excuse you

Well, my friends and I never talked about cars and we never really debate over them a lot, since all of them use their parents cars and don't give a fuck about them as long as they get from 'a' to 'b'.

When I think about it, I was never really in circle where cars were discussed, it's my first time having to think about it. It's not like I'm not interested, but the point just never really shown up until now. + I come from engineering school.

But enough about that, just stick to the topic please.

So why are Honda Civics so praised by the guys that have them? I know an old friend from elementary school that is fucking obssesed with Hondas and have 90% of pictures of facebook about his fucking car. The fuck is up with that. Pretty sure he sticks his dick into its exhaust.

NB Miata
Honda Integra
Honda Civic
Honda Beat
Honda Del Sol

VTEC

Because 90s Honda was god tier and civics are super easy to work on.

Go to your favourite car search engine and search for cars with these criteria:

Price: €600 - €1300
Build year: 1990 - 2000
Body: Hatchback (maybe Coupe but these are usually beat to shit at this price range)
Doors: 2 - 3
Optional but recommended: Your favourite brand

There are a couple of cars that keep appearing which meet this criteria, these are the best and most reliable, since they're still on the road. Also, don't even think about getting the best equipped version of any car because power steering, ABS, A/C and powered windows only wieght you down.

So, you start to see a trend and you pick a model that you like and you find more information about it. Eventually you'll only want this car and that's good. Now you can search for this specific car.

If you like you can filter out the occasion dealers. People sell their cars to occasion dealers for various reasons, but most commonly it's because it's starting to fall apart and they can't manage to sell it themselves for a reasonable price. Generally buying cars from individuals means more value for your money, since they're usually not trying to maximize their profit, but just want to get rid of it.

tl;dr

Get a Starlet.

suzuki swift
toyota starlet
renault twingo
toyota yaris
suzuki ignis

all decent bang for buck cars.
Oh wait, skip the yaris, all the non-t-sport variants are french rubbish, only the t-sports are japanese and don't rust. (I should know, i bought a t-sport because of that)

If you're a Euro, just get a Citroen Saxo

I'm not from Europe but these seem cheap and reliable, they go for like 300-100 euros

How do I know which Yaris is the t-sport? Does it have the spoiler? Does it have the analog dials too?

European cars from this age and size usually tried to be too luxurious and electronic. I heard the Opel Corsa had some electronic shit that would break.

the t-sport has analog dials for the original (more affordable) generations. All the normal ones have a digital cluster.
But I bought mine for 4k, and that is dirt cheap. I wouldn't trust a t-sport for 1300 even if they PAID me 1300 to take it.

Saw a black Yaris with the while analog dials and the spoiler for sale, so that must've been the t-sport. It cost €1250 for what could only be because of the massive paint damage on the roof.

Could've went over there and bought it, but I've been driving my mother's Yaris for a while and wanted my own car. I didn't want to be driving the exact same car as I used to, so I bought its predecessor, the Starlet. No regrets so far.

whut? Where are you? I could import that yaris and sell it with a profit here.

Netherlands. Well I didn't went over there to look at it. So who knows in what state it was. Also I don't remember the miles on it, even though these Toyota's don't give a shit what milage they are and will keep running nevertheless. Also if you know of any scrapped Starlets with foglights, give me a shout, lol.

Gast, goed dat je die niet g ekocht heb, een t-sport voor zo weinig geld is alleen maar problemen, daar vertrouwn ik echt NIKS aan.

/fellow dutchfags.

Why does nobody ever read the sticky?

Лaдa cтpoнк, тoвapищ!

I'M NOT FROM US.

Because its fucking worthless for Euros

Hahaha gaat ie ineens Nederlands lullen... Sorry m'n mobiel viel uit en was met de hond aan het lopen. Welke stad woon je als ik het vragen mag?

¨Skoda felicia or VW polo with the 1,6 petrol

Hyundai accent or getz 1,3-1,5-1,5 crdi diesel post 2004

Read the sticky

Look for excessive rust, exhaust pipe, black or blue smoke or excessive white smoke

Check oil and coolant, make sure owner has taken care of car.

Test brakes: 40-50kmh FULL BRAKE

Test hand brake on hill

Test all functions like light, heating, fan speeds, door locks, windows, wipers and washer

Don't forget testing if the engine works.