Im not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but fuck it

Im not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but fuck it.

Red pill me on being a lawyer. Pros and cons. Types of law, the job itself, the pay, life in general as a lawyer. Anything helps.

Im currently in undergrad, going to law school when I graduate. I definitely want a law degree, but Im on the fence about becoming a lawyer. Also, what else can I do with a law degree?

>Red pill me on being a lawyer

It is said there is more people in law school right now than practicing Lawyers.

Then why is there a country-wide shortage of public defenders?

My buddy is a personal injury attorney. He has $250k in student loan debt and makes $52k salary that he spends on hookers and blow, while his girlfriend pays for his rent and parking space and his dad pays for his car lease. Nice guy, buy I wouldn't want to have his life.

My Uncle is a Criminal Defense Attorney

This is false. But there are more graduating students than jobs available. You have to be family or know somebody in order to get your foot in the door.

Because nobody wants to deal with niggers all day. My Uncle is fucking miserable. 98% of his clients are niggers and they have no respect for any living life.

If you have any specific questions I can direct them to my Uncle but he may take a day or two to reply.

>Then why is there a country-wide shortage of public defenders?

I would imagine working with the kind of trash you'd have to work with as a public defender would be tremendously insulting, and degrading to anyone actually proficient in law.

I actually want to be a public defender. I've had a full-ride throughout undergrad and will more than likely be able to obtain a full-ride throughout law school, so I would graduate with little to no debt.

I genuinly like criminal law and only see PD as a stepping-stone to more profitable positions. Still not worth it? Alternatively I could just finish up undergrad and become a help-desk computer tech (starting around ~$40k?). Already have about 3-4 years worth of professional tech experience.

If you want big law, top 14 or bust pretty much. It's not technically true because if you're top student at average school with law review, you can get big law but to say you will be the top studnwt is a joke.

If you not sure you want to do corporate law, best school with full scholarship. Check terms of scholarship, if they require you to be top 25% each year, be nervous. Apply to multiple schools and attempt to bargain between schools for full rides/removal of gpa requirements.

Non big law avenues:
Small law. If you want to practice law but not big law, small law. A clerkships before hand would held. I'm in NYC area, salaries can range from 40 to 80 starting

Compliance: not bad at all, they like JDs. Banks need compliance people. Pay ranges from 55k to 80k, better lifestyle then practicing law. Anti money lauderinf compLiance or regularly financial compliance. Need financial classes with decent grades

Tax: big 4 hires JDs to do advisory/consulting/compliance. NYC starting is about 75k. Probably need a solid amount of tax classes with decent grades

It is misery. please do something else. blown up way to high in the media. the reality is something you want no part of.

I'm a family lawyer

What's specifically so bad about it?

You don't need a degree to be help desk. I made $17/hour while in college doing help desk. Just got to bullshit some tech support experience and skills on your resume and interview. Don't you mean system/network admin?

Lawyers are one of the top depressed professionals
It ain't the movies dude, you can go through your whole career doing cases that you'll know which way they'll go the second you get them

what's so depressing about that? if the pay is good, I wouldnt care if every single case is the same

Have you ever worked a full time job?..... Work a couple years before law school, trust me

Do you really want to be "that guy" who is obligated to defend a person that raped a 3 year old to death or a girl who killed a family of 4 in a car accident because she was texting and driving?

More or less, yea. I've been working as a part-time helpdesk computer tech for my university for a year (2yrs by the time I graduate with my highly valued lib arts degree) and have also been doing professional webdev (managing e-commerce/WP) for 3 years. Think those two things slapped on a resume would be enough to land me a job as a sys admin?

Everyone deserves legitimate due-process and a thorough and proper trial. Most cases result in plea-deals anyway. I would be fine with defending an ALLEGED rapist with the underlying thought that I am providing them a fair and just defense.

Yes finding loopholes and discrepancies in the arrests, evidence, etc. so a murderer or rapist can get back on the streets is a fair trial. Fact is that most "alleged" criminals you work for are niggers and they will refuse a plea-deal because they don't have the IQ high enough to realize what they did was actually wrong. My Uncle fought in a case that got a degenerate nigger injecting his 8 year old son with heron off the hook because of some loopholes. He was just doing his job.

You will need to take some courses and get certified.

you are dealing with everyone on the worst day of their life. that takes a toll after a while. This may not be the case in commercial, however I have friends who say otherwise. also you must account for every 6 minutes of your day

>My Uncle fought in a case that got a degenerate nigger injecting his 8 year old son with heron off the hook because of some loopholes.
Fantastic.

Like I said, every citizen deserves a fair and just trial. The prosecution and local police require some form of oversight.

I want to go into law as well once I graduate, very interested in tort law / civil law (personal injury, companies breaking labour laws, that kind of stuff). Is there work for this / is it worth while? As long as I can make a comfortable living I'll be happy (60-90kish). In canada btw

It sucks.

Only redeeming feature is money.

The job will literally turn you into a dark, immoral and money sucking leach.

Nobody wants to do criminal. The pay is a fraction of what you can get in civil.

holy fucking shit. The interest alone would be about $20k a year.

> family law

I love how you guys call it family law.

Should just call it breakup law.

unless you get into a top tier school, I wouldn't bother. so many poor suckers rack up a ton of debt and have few job prospects

also, don't become a lawyer just to get rich. there are much better ways.

note: this is for USA. don't know about other places.

My buddys dad is a lawyer and makes shitloads of money through his private practice, like 100k plus off 1 case sometimes. He has been doing it for 20 years tho and found a profitable niche. He started doing dui cases in the 80s and wasn't making anywhere near as much, it's like any job you gotta work your way up

what other ways?

Fuck yeh. Can't wait for all these gay married people to give each other STDs and divorce in crazy fucking numbers. It'll be a huge hit for American lawyers everywhere