Lane Departure Warning Systems

Why do car makers implement these damn things? the roads have reflectors that you will bump over as well as bumps on the highway shoulder if you drift off, dumbass.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IBCr-XBWZaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=k4yi9j_eUpQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Hug7j6PxBnw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because car normies don't care what feedback they are getting from steering wheel and they just want to get to destination instead of taking a pleasure from driving a car and that involves paying attention to the road.

>why do car makers implement features that can save lives
sometimes i wonder why even bother to post on this dogshit board. /int/ is way better anyway

Kek, it's not nearly as good as the collision detection
youtube.com/watch?v=IBCr-XBWZaQ

But seriously, it makes for really shitty commercials and douche canoe mobiles like VW and Audi are pushing it.

youtube.com/watch?v=k4yi9j_eUpQ

read the comments in the volvo video, not sure that one had the pedestrian safety system. regardless, those systems aren't perfect.

cars kill a lot of people every year, finding ways to make them safer is a good thing.

I know making them safer is great, but the normies who don't understand technology, will trust it way too much, they literally see it as an excuse to use a phone while they're motoring,

There's gotta be a limit to where we say "Hey this is a great car with safety features, but please look where the hell you're going."

HAHAHAHA WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SECOND VIDEO

oh absolutely. we need a two fold approach. on one hand, the police need to get very strict about distractions while driving. fiddling with your phone should be a wreckless driving ticket, because it's been shown that texters are even worse than drunk drivers. on the second front, we need better safety systems in cars - such as those discussed here - in their most reliable forms.

>the roads have reflectors that you will bump over
My state doesn't because they're cheap bastards.

Newer cars have terrible visibility so lane departure warning systems are an absolute must depending on the model of vehicle

>these videos
I fucking hate how car companies are trying so hard to appeal to the retarded damsels who can't drive for shit and get in all sorts of potential dangers.

For some reason high end makers just can't into advertising, the only ones that do ads right are the cheaper ones like Hyundai, Honda, etc, every ad is like "Hey we got this Civic, it barely uses any fucking fuel at all, you should buy one," and it sells like hotcakes.

>save lives
Yeah, and let's reduce all speed limits to 30 mph to save even more lives!
Go back to where things are nice and controlled, safe.

The average car owner sees driving as a chore, so shit like this is one way to appeal to them in a market that is increasingly flooded with the same boring FWD 5 door hatchback or AWD crossover that every manufacturer is desperately trying to gain market dominance on.

Another reason is that it goes towards increasing your car's safety rating.

For the most part, it just encourages laziness and I'm sure we'll see plenty of examples of drivers who have crashed or otherwise fucked up because they were totally zoned out, using their phone, drunk/high, etc.

Hell, Subaru's EyeVision or whatever the fuck it's called (the one with a pair of cameras behind the windscreen) has a monitoring system that beeps at you when the traffic ahead starts moving, as if the annoyed driver honking at you from behind isn't enough.

It's a fucking retarded idea, because now people can just sit at an intersection and play on their phone without even having to keep an eye on the traffic lights, as long as there's a car in front of them.

It's like car makers want to encourage distracted driving, I guess?

>turn assist
next thing you know, they'll be trying to drive for us

"You can fuck up, it's okay."
30% of car ads whenever someone turns the tv on. They should have never advertised that crap and just let people be grateful they have it, not reliant on it.

I thought Audi was about empowering women.

then fucking leave nobody is making you stay and nobody will give a shit if you go

In a way, compensation for their weaknesses is empowering imo

Lane departure system is both useless and annoying as fucking hell.
It also works like shit when it is raining/snowing.

t. I drive a car with that shit

It may lead to a situation similar to football where as the pads and helmets get included, they hit harder and injuries become more serious. For example, a sleepy driver who otherwise would have stayed the night at a friend's place comes to rely on his lane assist
can you turn it off?

Yes, luckily I can completely disable it.

>Typical blacked out Fusion driver

Because people doze off and crash.

>Why do car makers implement these damn things?

Because it can be done with the tech they have now and it allows them to collect more sensor data and driver data as feedback towards improving automatic driving systems. It's also good data for the database when they decide to sell information to insurance companies.

If a subpoena shows you weaving on the road a lot, then the accident could be blamed upon the driver who was weaving a lot due to being sleepy.

Another way to hike up the prices with electronic guizmos the average buyer will find alright and sensible.

Iirc California might replace road reflectors with some shiny paint shit because the reflectors break often and are dangerous to fix, etc

Good, please go there and stay there.
Gotta pander to the text and drive crowd

Lane departure systems are good when the road paint condition is very consistent. For long highway driving, where a bored/inattentive/tired driver might drift, it can help provide a warning.

There are times you have to disable it though. Approaching toll roads, poorly painted roads, etc....

youtube.com/watch?v=Hug7j6PxBnw

>construction area
>cones moved the lanes to the left, but painted stripes stayed straight
>follow the cones so I don't crash into heavy equipment and 10ft tall giant pipes
>BEEP BEEP BEEP
>vibrate vibrate vibrate
>wheel starts to jerk
disabled that shit pretty quick.

toll roads? what's different for them?

As much as I hate new car technology, I would rather that they are implemented.

Think about it; the more technology the less chance some 16 year old will wreck into your lovebox.

Toll roads that aren't open road tolling usually result in three or more lanes quickly splitting to 6+. It gets confused by all of the converging/diverging lines (depends on the side).

i love the shiny paint shit, they already use it for lines
>go from CA into OR
>MFW ODOT is shit and can't into reflective paint or signs
now i know why Oregon drivers are shit

they need to make up all that fancy stuff to sell newer models
the car in it's main function is almost perfect, can't reinvent the wheel

just make it nicer

the more technology the less chance you'll be able to drive your lovebox in the future

>Thinks about something
>Car swerves because Timy Turner attention span
Fuckin shit, I love Infinitis but that's ridiculous, it's almost insulting how retarded those ads are.

I could really appreciate the system. When you have a 2 hour daily commute and set off at 11 PM. I always get some caffeine before i set off, but I could really use the system.

or you could take the bus

>user-kun, pls look at me

We Britbongs call lane dividers "cat's eyes", they are reflective studs that can bounce up when driven over and they are pretty useful but people will be people and people will be idiots.

>/int/ is way better anyway
There go there and post your hippy crap there. No-one's stopping you.

>women drivers

>Dat second ad
And who says sexism has died in advertising?

Bus doesn't go to where I work.

Ok

Veeky Forums doesn't realize that 99.9999% of people drive autotragics (including me) and could really use these safety systems. Oh how much I want a driverless car.

not an argument, retard

>go from CA into OR
>MFW ODOT is shit and can't into reflective paint or signs
Oregon state doesn't charge sales tax, so it is frugal when it comes to signage.

>shittiest poster on Veeky Forums also browses one of the shittiest boards on Veeky Forums
Pottery

All these electronic nannies is how people will be eased into self-driving cars. Mark my words.

The Audi sensed the oncoming car would intersect the path of it and applied the brakes.

The real problem is that the electronic self-driving nannymobile (e.g. Google) is far safer than a human driver at not only fatal accidents, but medium accidents too. It is also far safer at tiny accidents (love taps). So it is a clear winner in every category. And it uses turn signals. And self driving cars do not troll other cars as you've no doubt read in many other threads where posters gleefully post about road rage incidents.

But you don't have one and wont have access to one for decades. So don't be a retard who treats their mistakes on the road like things everyone else has to solve.

This imo

I haven't made a mistake. But the point of these systems is the IF aspect. Don't be retarded and assume that you will NEVER EVER have an accident. They can happen anytime, regardless of if you're the instigator.

I get the feeling that self-driving cars can indirectly create a caste situation on the roadways. My self-driving car senses and communicates to other self-driving cars. That's why it automatically gets out of the way of ambulances, police cars, and city vehicles. It may even automatically create a larger bubble of safety around those cars by deliberately having a bigger separation.

Self-driving cars will no doubt have secret features that only a few in government know about. They will also be made unable to collide into certain cars with labels such as "presidential limousine", "diplomat", "police", or "VIP". But I bet each city, country, or state will make additional revenue by selling off VIP labels to rich people and celebrities.

I suppose manual cars with self-driving features have some law enforcement advantages that are good. If someone was issued an injunction to stay 500 feet away from someone, then if they tried to manually drive the car to collide, the computer would sense that the injunction was being violated and prevent the collision. Or the car will always report to police if driven within 1000 feet of a school, park, or childcare facility if the person is convicted of a sex crime.

Hey that looks sexy

>a higher form of intelligence has arrived

Great tagline, lol.

My concern with the self driving car is some asshole making a jammer and fucking up traffic because the car doesn't know what's going on anymore, or going under a bridge and the GPS cutting out.

>tfw dumber than a car
Kek.

I'm honestly ok with these self driving cars. If normie no longer pose a threat on the road I consider that a win. As long as they still make regular cars for the rest of us.

>the rest of us
Yeah no. The majority want grocery getters. So car manufacturers stopped making fun cars. Though they might occasionally through us a bone (Toyota 86). It will be the same when driverless cars are the norm. Too expensive to develop a car just for 0.000001% of people.

>that second ad
I've been in this scenario many times. You make it to the stop sign first, you see a car going that fast, looks like it's not gonna stop at the sign and you're turning, you'd have to wait it out. You have the right away sure, but it's best to let idiots be idiots and not get caught up in the mess.

>turning assist
jesus fuck, i'm not ready for this kind of innovation.

well good thing self driving cars typically have a ton of different types of sensors

If you start dozing off, the reflectors probably won't wake you up, and not all roads have those reflectors

>As long as they still make regular cars for the rest of us.
Their insurance rates will be the normal rates. YOUR car is then the non-normal rate as it has a much higher accident rate than the self-driving cars. So your insurance rates would go up to be double what they are now and will only go up in time as the size of your group of car users dwindles.

Agree, especially with manual transmission.

2010 Fusions are pretty underrated.

>Live in Oregon
>Sometimes can't see road lines when it is dark and wet (all the time)
>Go to CA
>Bright af roads
But lolCHP

If everyone was forced to drive standard people wouldn't be able to talk on the phone and they wouldn't nod off from boredom. Also, because not everyone would be a very proficient driver, we would see fewer aggressive retards straddling lanes without signals, performing bizarre maneuvers, doing u-turns going 40 km/h without stopping because all the slowing down, speeding up, stops and starts require you to shift and use the clutch. Driving in traffic would be a lot more mellow.

don't worry about self driving cars generally - they generally use radars far outside of ranges that cell phone jammers will use.

the biggest problem with cell phone jammers is they are close to important other shit that can cause problems. GPS jammers cause issues with airports often, and cell phone jammers can cause issues on emergency services - particularly if the jammer targets legacy nextel 3G (iDEN network).

IMO, people who text and drive should be ticketed absolutely, but trying to enforce it on a personal level is ridiculous. lots of people use handsfree systems nowadays and going to turn on a jammer is a potential distraction for yourself, and potentially cuts off legitimate users of handsfree also in your vicinity who now have their attention diverted by their signal issue.

BAD GOY!! THIS ISN'T PART OF THE SIMULATION!

You're probably not old enough to drive. But trust me, it all happened in the 80s. Most people doze off on the highway, where you don't really shift. Allowing to to do everything an autotragic can.

>Most people doze off on the highway, where you don't really shift.
Thus adding to those stats where it's dangerous to drive between midnight and 5AM.

>If everyone was forced to drive standard people wouldn't be able to talk on the phone
The Philippines and Indonesia beg to differ

>Go to pass
>BREEEEP BREEEEP BREEEEEEEEEP

Unlike you, people have jobs

Did you try signaling? I mean, if you're crossing lines you're supposed to be signaling in the first place. Glad the car tried to crash your stupid ass into a wall.

>people who text and drive should be ticketed absolutely
k mom, good luck enforcing that

>That ad
Dear god

>when you innovate you innovate to live innovately

I don't think you understood his post. when a road is under construction, sometimes the lanes become irrelevant and cones become the new lanes and they can weave in and out of the painted lines. At no point in that process are you necessarily switching lanes, although the signalling seems like a good way to stop the mechanism quickly

>be yurop
>think "hey, can't recall the fusion looking nice"
>look it up
>realize ford fusion in freedomland is based on mazda6, while yurop fusion is a bloated fiesta based mpv

Feels bad man

>be me
>work in auto shop
>go to pull out some newer cadillac
>move 6 inches
>ass starts vibrating
>the fuck?
>look at dash
>collision warning!!!1!
>mfw bay door was wide open

>ass starts vibrating
thats a problem how

At least you got your daily ration of adrenaline right there.

>That is why we are making it better than perfect!

>Sincerely,
>Over enthusiastic car designer who doesn't understand what people do with cars once they leave the lot

Fusion is called Mondeo in Yurop

Although that will never happen in my lifetime.

>Implying I wouldnt just ride an uninsured unregister bike in a world full of self driving cars.
Some days I wish self driving cars were a thing so I could be more relaxed riding my bike. But that is so far away it doesn't actually matter for me.