So there's a Chevy LT1 350 engine close to my house on sale for $650. It has about 125,000 miles on it...

So there's a Chevy LT1 350 engine close to my house on sale for $650. It has about 125,000 miles on it. It's from a 91 caprice. I've been looking for something to replace the 305 in my 85 GMC squarebody. Is it worth it? How much gain over a 305 would I really even get? I'm aware of the Optispark bullshit, would I have to replace it?

If you are willing to rebuild the engine, sure. I guarantee that you need to do so.

if you built the 305 and opened it up as far as flow, you'd get about 1 second knocked off your 1/4. A 350 will knock a further second off that 1/4.

The 350 is definitely going to have some more umph to it compared to a 305, but depending on what transmission you're running it wouldn't be likely that it can handle the torque from even a stock 350.

and yes optispark is bullshit and should absolutely be replaced if you're going to rebuild it. (you should)

You can delete the optispark and run a normal distributor. Do that.

>lt
just go LS why fuck with LT

>says the furry retard with bbs on a fiesta or something gay

also
>LT1 caprice

iron heads, better to get a 93-94 lt1 fbody motor

?
My Volvo is LS

rarely is it ever as simple as just
>going with an LS
it's a lot more work and vastly more expensive to do an LS swap compared to an LT swap

How is it more difficult the engine literally bolts up

91 caprice didn't come with a LT1 bro.

Way too much money for an iron head LT1. At that price point you're better off buying a 5.3 Vortec from a Silverado.

I do love the LT1 once you get rid of the opti, much better with an F1 charger on it though :)

Also everyone going LS has made parts stupid cheap for the LT1 if your looking to build it.

No. With the advent of cheap LS based engines, that is WAY overpriced for an oldschool iron block 350.

Maybe it is an L98, that's good too, right?

Yeah I thought the same thing when I wanted to do an LS swap into my 95 Camaro.

also good luck finding a cheap LS that isn't beat to shit

if you're doing an LS swap ever you might as well go crate and get your warranty

at least LT1s are actually dirt cheap and are worth rebuilding yourself to check everything.

I got my motor for 300 dollars and the junk yard near me has pulled from running vehicle motors with ~150k on them for 500 on pallets all day long

I'd never touch an LS with 150k on it unless I was willing to totally rebuild it myself

And that's why you're a fucking idiot and wrong

Two seconds of research on the internet tells you that LS based motors are damn near bulletproof.

Evidence:

Oh I dunno, the 6 billion high mileage 600+WHP turbo LS motors around nowadays.

lol feel free to stick a high mileage turbo'd LS into whatever you want guy, just hope you got it cheap

I have an caprice LT1 and have done plenty of work on it
Check the vaccum lines
Check gaskets for leaks

Optispark isnt as bad as people make it out to be, its actually a very decent stock distributor in my opinion regardless of its moisture faults. Though being a '91 it probably lacks the moisure ventilation system which prevents moisure failure. If you are paranoid of failure you could convert it to a vented system. I have a guide somewhere on how to do it on my other computer.

I think the LT1 is a very nice engine, good torque and a very sexy sound when you let it roar

What's the difference between rebuilding an lt or LS when they are both going to be high mileage engines?
I got my LS for 300, that's literally pocket change, if you're going to rebuild it anyways why would you waste money machining and rebuilding a fucking old ass LT motor when you can get a LS for 300, the machining alone will cost you a grand in the end.
Basically you're really stupid.

No dude it's a L05 with 180 horsepower.......

Please stop acting like everyone lives in a hick state where there's no smog laws and you can find cheap shit.

$300 for an LS1 is not at all normal in any way. The cheapest one within 500 miles of my location is 2.5k with no guarantee.

Again, might as well go crate at that point.

>within 2500 miles
>a hick state
You in Europe, bro?

Lmfao why are you looking for an LS1?
Get a 4.8, 5.3, 6.0

california

I'm not looking for an LS1. I'd rather rebuild my 305 in my 89 RS before being LSx swapee #41413414917

And that's exactly why you're retarded

because I live in california or because I don't want to have the same car as every other guy that ever swapped a v8 into something?

>Please stop acting like everyone lives in a hick state where there's no smog laws and you can find cheap shit.
>lives in california

You're living in a stereotype too, rockhead.

yeah yeah

I can still find LT1s for $300-500 every single day out here, but no LS for less than 2 grand.

Could get a ford 4.6L out of a towncar or grand marquis. Those are indestructible.

my dad would slap the shit out of me if I pulled up with a sbf in my camaro

Both lol

you won't be laughing when I get a 302 in my RS.

Yes I will lol

They're also boat anchors that are slow as shit.