Any anons here mechanics, know some mechanics or work in any automotive careers...

Any anons here mechanics, know some mechanics or work in any automotive careers? If any of you care I'm tired of my current college major and was thinking if going into fixing cars since I like cars

Do you really want to end up in a dead end job working on shit cars earning minimum wage in a field that's going to be phased out over the next 10-15 years because you were too lazy to finish college?

Quit being a lazy faggot, pick a field of engineering, science or business that interests you, work your ass off, find a nice job earning 80-100k a year, indulge all your Veeky Forums hobbies.

Liking cars has almost nothing to do with whether you will enjoy being a mechanic/be successful in the field

>field that's going to be phased out over the next 10-15 years
Sure man, in 15 years cars won't break anymore

I was planning on going back to school for a mechanical engineering degree afterwards but right now I'm just struggling in a degree I have no interest in (English). I though it would be better to go out and get some experience and then come back for a degree.
I'm interested in the mechanics and working of cars and automotive vehicles. I would love to eventually get into dirt biking and motorcycles. I simply thought going an automotive job route would suite me better.

Btw are mechanics really gonna be obsolete within the years?

What is your current college major?

English. Picked it because I reading and writing was a pastime of mine that help me through a depressive phase of my life but it doesn't be seem to be something I'd like to do as work.

>Phased out
You are a special kind of stupid. Shit will always break.

Try to get into the engineering side of it or whatever and hop on board with electric cars and shit. DIY mechanics are being killed off so there's some opportunity to be a trained technician at least.

Fuck being the average shop mechanic though, the chemicals fuck your body. Too many guys in their 40's with constant wheezing. It's fun as a hobby but having to do that day in and day out? Fuck that

>Sure man, in 15 years cars won't break anymore

>You are a special kind of stupid. Shit will always break.

How fucking short sighted are both of you?

Of course shit will break, but "Mechanics" in a traditional sense will be a thing of the past, cars will have become nothing more than modular plug and play appliances that you'll literally drive onto a production line and wait 30-60 mins while robots hot swap major components that need replacing/servicing, the need for human mechanics will be greatly reduced. Faulty parts will be shipped in en masse to third world countries for reconditioning in factories on a huge scale then shipped back, shelved, and waited to be installed by robots.

As someone about to finish and acquire my degrees in auto electrical, mechanical, and auto body choose a different career. I dont even wanna work on my cars anymore however i now have the skills to work on cars and have rebuilt an engine and transmission for my car. Its nice knowing how to do your own shit but as of now im planning to get my A&P license and skipping the auto industry.

>Of course shit will break, but "Mechanics" in a traditional sense will be a thing of the past, cars will have become nothing more than modular plug and play appliances that you'll literally drive onto a production line and wait 30-60 mins while robots hot swap major components that need replacing/servicing, the need for human mechanics will be greatly reduced. Faulty parts will be shipped in en masse to third world countries for reconditioning in factories on a huge scale then shipped back, shelved, and waited to be installed by robots.
Sure bud, sounds like you have it all figured out, it's that easy

>ad hominem

Thanks for playing champ.

What makes you not want to work on cars? Personally I just want this as something for work as my main passion is actually music.

I was just complimenting you, you obviously have it all figured out. Although most major manufacturers have been in the game 100 years they are clueless, you, someone who would struggle to change their oil, figured it all out. Why pay techs $40 an hour to diagnose a car when you can just rebuild it with robots? Better yet, since diagnosis of can/lin is impossible, why not just throw the car in the trash and make another one? It's amazing that a combined billion years of engineering and manufacturing experience couldn't reach the simple solution easily developed by one random user on an anime imageboard. The only thing you forgot is 3d printing. You wouldn't even need a factory, logistics, parts storage, etc. when you could just print the part out!

Being a mechanic is one of the worst and least respected professions ever, don't do it unless you have no other choices.

>Although most major manufacturers have been in the game 100 years they are clueless

They're all shifting towards exactly what I described.

No, they aren't. I understand this is an anonymous forum, but what exactly drives you to talk about something you know nothing about? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Everything hurts. You blow your back early on and fuck up your skin and hearing. Auto industry is generally flat rate so you need to work fast as well. By age 40 your fucked and unless you have something to fall back on prepare to be miserable and slow working. Also after working all day on peoples cars and than working all day working on school cars, i dont wanna work on my car, and since my main hobby is my car its just killed it.

Maybe if you spent more time reading and less time tripping like an ignorant faggot you might have an inkling as to what the industry is doing.

We've already seen a fucking huge shift towards modular platforms, that shift is only going to become more pronounced as electric cars gain traction.

If you have ever once worked on a car in your life, no robot can fix everything. Certain repairs require finesse and human interaction to be fulfilled. Unless cars start being built RIGHT FUCKING NOW like legos, literally like legos, as in the part is very easily removed by a robot and installed by a robot than yes, this is the way automakers are going, but you also seem to forget that today people still drive a lot of older cars. At the shop we very much get 10-15 year old cars all the time, everyday, day in and day out. Now unless somehow they got rid of ALL older vehicles and made it MANDATORY that everyone drive the new lego cars than will your dream become a truth. Even than it'll take like 50years minimum for it to shift so fucking sour

Mechy here.

Get a part time job at a mechanic shop. Change all your classes to start getting into engineering.

Hopefully you've done some math, because you're going to have to do a DICKLOAD of calculus.

Being a mechanic is a shitty, underpaid, thankless, abusive job.

Source: I run a mechanic business that is paying my way through school. Worked as a mechanic for years before going back to school.

ASE master mechanic here. Dropped out of college after my 3rd year. Currently working as a senior tech at a Lexus dealership. Made $78k last year and I'm debt free after paying off my house. Doing as good or better than my friends who fell for the college meme.
That being said, I no longer enjoy working on cars in my free time and I work long hours (~50-55/week). Sometimes I wish I was sitting in an office, but I've done that and it sucks after a week or two. The freedom you have working in a shop is great, I blast eurobeat and nightcore all day. Expect to spend at least a year learning on the job before you're proficient. Don't waste your money on a tech school, it's just a merchant trick. If you're a healthy person the physical labor isn't bad, but if you're lazy or overweight you'll have problems when you get older.

Pic related, new hobby since I dont enjoy cars anymore.

Did you bother to read any of my prior posts before replying?

Because you've just reiterated exactly what I said.

Albeit I speculated that it's not going to take 50 years, we don't have the resources to drag out conventional automotive manufacture and maintenance out that long and legislation will move incredibly quickly to phase out non-electric cars, especially in big cities.

Japan has had nation wide laws in place since the 80's to phase out older cars, cities like Paris are already banning older cars entirely, Delhi has something similar, you're going to see the same things start to rapidly gain traction all over the world.

How many electric cars have you worked on? (that's a rhetorical, it's 0). It's very obvious you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about. Again I'll ask, why post about things you don't understand? Is it a weird fetish?

How can you write both of these and not realise you're making the same mistake twice?

Think about what you do with your life, don't just go off a vague idea of what you like doing.

Built two electric cars during the final year of my degree, one scratch build, one was a conversion of an old Ford Laser TX3.

You want to start rebutting, or god forbid contributing to the discussion, or are you content to just puff out your chest and keep spewing the same eristic drivel in a bid to preserve your precious ego?

>rebutting
Rebutting what? You made up a few ridiculous, uninformed statements about what the industry (which you have 0 knowledge of and 0 part in) is doing, told me I should read (something), now your experience with where the industry is moving you cite as working on a school project. When you post something of the slightest substance let me know and I will post a real response.

>New hobby since I don't enjoy cars anymore

Exactly why you don't pursue a career doing the thing that you love the most. You end up having it. I'm on my 4th year as a mechanical engineer major in and hoping to get into aero or something g similar. That way I can still do something I like, but and keep my car shit seperate.

Hating*...Not having

It's not that I hate it. It's just hard to justify working on cars as a hobby when I do the same things at work and get paid.

>ad hominem ad hominem ad hominem ad hominem

Want to try again?

Try to do what, make you look even more clueless? I don't think that is going to require any more effort.

>ad hominem

Ya I get what you mean. As far as you've gotten it sounds like it's all been worth it. I guess Im thinking more of a generalization because some people ditch college to become a mechanic but end up being a low end grease monkey who starts hating everything.

Listen, you are too clueless and stupid to even understand the actual explanation why the nonsense you pulled out of your ass is wrong. Lets look at your claim that robots will rebuild cars from reman parts in 3rd world countries. How about a common failed part, an A/C compressor. Assume a tech does the job-

>diagnoses issue
>removes and replaces part ($300 part, 1 hour labor)

OR

>robot is created to just remove AC compressors
>can't just be 1 robot, needs to lift vehicle, remove underbody cover, discharge A/C, remove belt, remove part, reinstall part, reinstall belt, recharge A/C, confirm issue is addressed
>the part was apparently shipped to a 3rd world country, rebuild, and shipped back
>thousands of service centers need this mini assembly line to do JUST A/C compressors

This is one, simple job. Very few jobs in this day and age are this direct and simple, and it's obvious it's not even the slightest bit advantageous to involve any sort of automation.

The people that become "low end grease monkeys" are stupid or lazy. Those people won't excel regardless of their career. Basically like most things, if you're willing to put in genuine effort, it can be a pretty solid career. There's guys at my dealership making over $100k.

Also I live in Texas so never have to worry about rust thank God...

Seriously. Be a Greasemonkey most people hate having to deal with because they either assume you're trying to up sell and rip them off or you have to be the bearer of bad news always. You will work hot, exhausting manual labor 12 hours a day at a thankless job with little vertical mobility in order to scrape out a moderate living. You will then no longer want to work on cars for fun after changing the rotors on 200 minivans and suvs owned by neglectful soccer moms.

Yeah don't be a grease monkey at a quick lube place. Become a master certified Lexus, Toyota, BMW, Honda, etc... tech.

Any modern shop has A/C and heat

>ad hominem
Lol no. Go back to school.

>We've already seen a fucking huge shift towards modular platforms
Nothing is as 'modular' as it was back in the 50s/60s/70s. Clueless as fuck.

Finally, you're not carrying on like an overly emotional bitch and are actually starting to think about things.

Now go back and read my original post.

You wouldn't bother replacing just the A/C compressor, you'd swap out the entire module containing the A/C compressor.

>robot is created to just remove AC compressors

No, the robot has already been created to assemble the cars during production, all it does it hot swap the entire module.

>can't just be 1 robot, needs to lift vehicle, remove underbody cover, discharge A/C, remove belt, remove part, reinstall part, reinstall belt, recharge A/C, confirm issue is addressed

Virtually all of the current modular designs being designed by the big manufacturers involve taking the body off and that's it.

>the part was apparently shipped to a 3rd world country, rebuild, and shipped back

Where do you think your television goes when it's repaired/replaced under warranty?

>thousands of service centers need this mini assembly line to do JUST A/C compressors

I suspect service centres will be nothing more than a collection/drop off point that will be linked to major plants.

Your idea of how cars are and could be constructed is completely off (because you've never worked on one and have no idea how modern cars are built). Passenger cars cannot be made like legos because of packaging. Things that are simple during manufacturing that can be installed by robots would be 100x harder after the car is built. Take a heater box, it's installed in 30 seconds on the line because the car has no doors, roof, dash, etc. Once the car is complete 20 trim pieces, glass, the dash, vents, 50 connectors, carpet, seats, ect. need to be removed for the same access (by a robot). It would be cheaper to just build a new car every time one breaks rather than create even one magical repair assembly line that does the same thing a tech can do in 2 hours. Even on the assembly line very few processes are automated overall for new cars, which are engineered in a certain way to be manufactured easily. You just don't have the experience or knowledge to speak intelligently about these things, sorry man, that is not an ad hom attack but the truth.