What length of time from date of manufacture do you change your tires at? When they start to dry rot?

What length of time from date of manufacture do you change your tires at? When they start to dry rot?

Lots of places say around 10 years, but I don't want to fall for some jewish trick.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vjjUrCIAvhA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

when they explode on the highway and nearly kill me

when my tires can cut my skin

both of these are acceptable, according to Firestone

when i start to hydroplane on damp roads

>70s volvo 240 sits for years and years
>dad replaced frozen brake calipers
>on the way to get new tires, on the highway, all 4 dry rotted tires fucking explode
>"eh no big deal, just pulled over everythings fine"
He gets lucky way too often

Who the fuck has their tires rot out before wearing out? I get like 4 years out of a set before they need replacement. Do you not drive anywhere? Are you some kind of hick fuck bumpkin who lives 2 miles from his work?

dry rot is a meme

Tires on my supra blew up at 95mph on the freeway
Damn what a ride almost like pic related was

Honestly if they are cracking at the base of the tread blocks its time to replace
Some tires this could be 3 years others it could be 10
Also depends on where you live
Honestly every set of front tires I have owned have dry rotted before they were bald

When the wires are showing

I live in arizona certainly not a meme here
Tires dry out before they bald almost universally here unless you deliver pizzas or drive 90 miles to work every day
Typically my tires last 3 years and have 50% tread but are dryed to death

LMAO a set of tires only lasts me about 33K miles or about a year.

Fucking 4 years on a set yeah I wish.

stop buying cheap chinkshit knockoff tires you pleb

get some BFG AT KO2's they're not just memey, they're indestructible

I don't own a truck so I can't buy KO2'S
my tread wear is 500 for my shitbox and I don't buy chink shit I just drive Alot unlike these cucks on here that live down the street from their job and live with mommy and daddy

>buy yoko s-drives
>they last less than a year
I had a lot of fun sliding around corners though, so it was worth it.

10 years would be nice but it'd mean i never fucking drive ever.

i usually have to replace my fronts at least once a year, rears 1.5-2 years

Rotate your tires

This

Who even has this fucking problem? My last few cars haven't gotten more than 20k per set (2 years probably.)

>rears are wider than the fronts
wat do

not the same guy, but my Mustang had front/rear tires wear at precisely the same rate. Never had to rotate through 2 sets.

Drive backwards.

Every year. 20k miles a year in a Vette is hell on tires. Worse is that less than 50% tread is sketchy. In a shitbox it'd be fine, but so much as a stray thought about the throttle can be rough with such high power and low grip.

how many miles do you get on a set? what tires do you use?

My job is 1.7 miles away

Dunlop Direzza DZ102s currently on the car. The real trouble is that front and rear tires are different sizes so rotations do not apply here. I could reasonably get away with swapping the rears every year and the fronts every other year, but the understeer would eventually become unbearable and the front tires would also start being very shitty in even a light rain, but particularly in the heavy Texas storms I regularly see.

Basically don't be a cuck and drive a corvette, my next car will be a WRX or something because I've had it with """ultra""" high performance that isn't even useable half the time, on the street or the track

That's interesting. I never really considered how not swapping front/rear at the same time could cause issues.

Too late, I've already got a corvette, also with larger rears & summer tires. Michelin pilot super sports, but I've only got about 6k on them, so I'm not really sure how graciously they'll age.

Most corvette drivers don't worry about it because they put 3-5k miles on a year and lock it away for the rest of the time. I drive at least 20k a year because commute (it's texas) plus I take at least one good long road trip a year. The Corvette is my only car because single and free. I'm pretty sensitive to changes in handling characteristics/road and tire feel, so that also plays a role; someone like my dad wouldn't even notice and might do 40k on a set of the same tires I use, if he drove it that much to notice.

Meh, I knew what I was getting into. I fell for the meme, and it's a hell of a fun meme to fall for. Would do again. Just need a change of pace soon.

the car does that as i drive along.

lmao;

wew

dont you wew me, lad

dryrot anywhere on the sidewalls generally does it for me.

Then there's shit like pic related which caught me completely by surprise. Check your inner tirewalls people.

had the tires replaced the next day.

kek

>Who the fuck has their tires rot out before wearing out? I get like 4 years out of a set before they need replacement.
Not any of those other guys, but in arizona, after two years, my tires are already sunburned (brownish outside sidewalls) and have lots of those ultra-fine micro cracks in the rubber over most of the sidewall surface.

Other people continually treat their tires with tire protectant spray/liquid that has sunblock protection but I didn't.

Depends on how they're treated, how they are stored, the pressure you've been running and so on.

I typically set the bar at 6 years for mine, although I have driven on 15 year old tires which seemed to be just fine, with no rotting or anything

Usually get about 220,000 miles on the steers, 150,000 on the drives, and 170,000 on the trailer, before they're approaching the legal minimums so about 2 years or so. Virgin tires are well worth the money since they don't fly apart like retreads.

is that because commercial truck tires rotate at like half the RPM of "normal" car tires, or is it mostly due to tire compound and depth?

but fuck, 220,000 miles to a set of tires....

When the tread wears down.

Mild british weather means you don't get dry anything.

You still had a lot of tread left on all your visible tires. Any idea on what caused that problem?

I live in Las Vegas and park my car outside, so my max is 5 years.

I came up with 5 years because when I was a freshman in college we went on a 1500 mile trip for Baja SAE in the university's truck and we had a blowout. The tires dated at 5 years old. We replaced the tires with new tires (they were less than a year old when installed) and on a 800mi road trip 4 years layer we had one tire completely throw the tread completely off (still held air tho) and another tire's tread started to delaminate and got so out of round it was shaking the truck apart. so on a vehicle that gets parked outside in the sun 24/7, we had a 5 year old tire blow up 3 times. seems like 5 years in the vegas sun is about all it takes to get a tire to dry rot bad enough to fail.

Quite a lot of factors actually

>experienced drivers
>heat is very constant
>not a lot of heavy braking
>tire pressure is typically religiously monitored

I should note we always made sure the tire pressure was correct before we drove the truck. low tire pressure kills tires out here. when its 115* outside the asphalt has to be 150*, then you run low tire pressure on the highway and the sidewall flex creates head in the carcass of the tire, they absolutely will blow especially if youre putting a heavy load on them. the freeways out here are littered with cars in the summer time that have overheated or blown tires. 110+ ambient temp is a motherfucker

Do you have a jake brake? If so has it ever caused a negative reaction? We have militant old people who will hunt down truckers who use them in my town it's fucking hilarious

I'm not . I've never driven anything bigger than a P93

They are banned in some areas of NZ, you can get tickets for using them and they are putting sound sensitive cameras in.

>approaching freeway exit in Melbourne on Hayabusa a few years back
>change down to 3rd gear just before crossing dotted line as was my habit
>open throttle wide
>200kmh+ then hard on the brakes for red light
>next stop bottle shop as you do
>dude behind me at the bottle-o says "dude! yer tyre's fucked"
>inspect rear tyre
>steel belt is hanging out
>oh my

I replace my tires every year. I've never had a set last longer than about 18 months.

And I ride bike tires down to the wire. So 4-6 months.

if you have 10 year old tires with tread on them
>the car needs to be driven more
>the rubber wasn't likely stored well

>4 years

lmao. what kind of pathetic "driving" do you faggots do? i go through a set every season

How do your tires even last 10 years?

I bought all-season continental DWS tires in October brand new, they're already bald and I just drive an accord.

That's because you're hooning them. Every time you enjoy that grippy sharp turn around the corner, you've worn off another chunk from those DWS.

Why would you make fun of hicks because they have less of a carbon footprint than you?

>Why would you make fun of
Because the great number of Veeky Forums are from the teen demographic. When the college age demographic is added, that becomes the great majority of Veeky Forums users. Look at Alphonse the troll who only stopped some of his trolling because his college studies became hard and because he's afraid it could be tracked to his school.

who is this semen demon

>hooning
who thinks of these words

>who is this semen demon
She's someone who reuses her a set of high friction rubbers once per year as the post implied.

Tread depth and size, mostly. Each rotation is about 12 linear feet, and they start at 22/32-36/32" deep. They usually don't get much hotter than 140F of higher in pressure than 140psi. Tire scrub is what kills steer tires and spread axle trailer tires, so they're made of a much firmer compound than the drives, but as a trade off, they don't really grip for shit below 0F or on ice or mud.

They run about $300- $700 each for 14 ply tires, and slap on another $30-90 for 16 ply. A lot of engineering goes into them, and I've spoken to engineers at Michelin and Yokohama about it. R&D costs are so high that lower tier tire companies like kelly, Dunlop, etc all use hand-me-down tooling from their parent companies.

it's a tranny. this was him before youtube.com/watch?v=vjjUrCIAvhA

>Get hand me down car
>Car has Bridgestone Winter tires from 09'
>Winter tires are now all season tires since then
>No fucks given

Doesn't that happen on stanced tires? But your car doesn't look stanced.

I have driven around for 4 years on dry-rotted tires, and somehow they haven't blown yet

I suggest you tape a card to the back of your drivers license that says "I do not want Jewish advice". It will be helpful to hospital staff in case you're brought in unconscious.

Stop buying shitty retreads.

different sized wheels front & back

10 years is WAY too long for any kind of performance oriented driving

Consider that tire compounds degrade continuously, by the time they're visibly dry rotted they've been losing grip capability for years already.

Mine won't last this long anyway, but don't exceed 4-5 years if you do anything more than basic commuting.

Found the kike

>I suggest you tape a card to the back of your drivers license that says "I do not want Jewish advice".

There are lots of liberal nurses and doctors. They will not let you die, but it is easy enough for them to do the cleanup cuts and suturing so that you have much larger scars than otherwise.

Tires become rock hard garbage within the first year, usually by the 6 month mark.
If you're an enthusiast who hoons and wants grip, you should be replacing your tires fairly regularly if your car is stored outside, regardless of tread or rot.

By year 4 it's like driving on oil spills if you have an lsd and any amount of power.

You can't generalize like this, it all depends on how the tires have been stored.
If they have been stored horizontally in a dark and cold basement, then 20 years of storage is no problem.
If they have been sitting on a car that have been standing in the california sun for 4-5 years, the tires will be dried out as fuck.

>Tires become rock hard garbage within the first year, usually by the 6 month mark.

Depends on the climate. In arizona, you get new tire and it feels nice and rubbery. After one year, the blocks feel stiff and dried out but are still rubbery. After four years, the tires gripped a bit less than new replacements even though they weren't bald (still had tread above the wear bar). Sorry I don't have more precise comments, but there's just no way for me to measure how much the tires changed or how much understeer change occurred if I took a sharp turn.

>steel belt is hanging out
>oh my
If you have good rims when a tire blows out, then you'll be able to coast to a stop. But crappy chinese knock-off rims might simply fall apart.

ive never even had tire tread last longer than 6 months because i drive my car pretty hard just about every day so ive never experienced dry rot
id imagine youd notice your tires aren't functioning right before they explode anyways

I found the poorfag who only has one car.

If you've got factory steelies you'll coast to a stop too :^)

>Mfw RPF1's start at $600 each in NZ

Jesus fuck, they're only $230 each in burgerland.

The chinese make knock offs of almost everything and they duplicate the logos and packaging too. So even your local dealer might be getting them from a discount supplier on Alibaba or AliExpress. Profit is good, right?

>What length of time from date of manufacture do you change your tires at?

When they start to lose center and drift to the side is when it is time to change.

It's more of a Low wear Vs High wear tire. Softer treads wear faster than harder.

Does that imply the tires with the longest mileage have less grip due to their slow wearing material?

Yes.
Sticky rubber is soft.
On a hot day my sport bike will leave black streaks just from coasting through a parking lot when I get off the freeway and the tires are warmed up.

I always wondered about that. It makes sense that high mileage tires lose less of their material to friction with the road. If they had high friction, then each time the tires were called upon to stick to the road, they could lose a bit of their rubber. But tires with low friction would keep their rubber.

Some tires like Michelin Defender A/S have a 90,000 mile warranty. Yet people claim they have both grip and handling as top-rated tires. I wonder how those tires have their cake and eat it too.

Some people have more then one car.

Tires on my 250 are date coded '04. They are starting to dry rot pretty bad but have like new tread, I'll run them till they start separating.

I never realized that. I only thought simply about tires in that if there was enough tread, then the tire was still good.

That's enough to make them stealable.

Why aren't tires recyclable? Is it because they have a mix of steel belts and rubber that is hard to separate?