Which year/decade would you say planned obsolescence became common among car makers?

Which year/decade would you say planned obsolescence became common among car makers?

Other urls found in this thread:

topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/toyota-making-rally-inspired-yaris-hot-hatch
caradvice.com.au/513502/2017-toyota-yaris-facelift-revealed-alongside-wrc-inspired-157kw-hot-hatch-here-in-march-but-no-hot-hatch-for-australia/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not sure, fortunately there's a big difference between a 5 year old car, and a five your old phone, the five year old car is still pretty new if you consider how long cars last vs how long phones/laptops last

the wrc yaris looks cool af, i would buy one if they came with awd from the factory

Toyota is planning to do a wrc inspired yaris production car. The rumor says it will be about 200hp.

>fortunately there's a big difference between a 5 year old car, and a five your old phone

that gap is getting smaller every new model year

1920s with it really taking off in the 50s

source?

topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/toyota-making-rally-inspired-yaris-hot-hatch

caradvice.com.au/513502/2017-toyota-yaris-facelift-revealed-alongside-wrc-inspired-157kw-hot-hatch-here-in-march-but-no-hot-hatch-for-australia/

>However, the big news is the reveal of the new ‘high-performance’ Yaris (above), which will debut at the Geneva motor show in March.

>tfw 15 year old car and 12 year old phone

The year I always hear from people is 1995. No idea why though.

with the introduction of non serviceable modules
.eg life time fluid and bearings
also headlight modules as opposed to assembly's

another thing is that bumpers are integral to the bodywork now
where in the past they were cheep and sacrificial

Probably the 50's.

>bumpers are integral

Wait, what?

WHORE! WHORE!!!!

WHORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>notice how this thread isn't about planned obsolescence, but to promote a yaris instead? Did you catch that, geniuses?

Planned obsolescence isn't a thing. They do cut corners to meet profit goals and save weight but they can't/don't engineer it to fail in x amount of time.

Did that Reddit video about shilling spook you? I'd say Toyo shills are still way fucking better than Lincoln/Ford shills

WHORE! SOULLESS WHORE!!

Did I trigger you? I'm sorry I'm invading your internet safe space on Veeky Forums.

TOYOTA= G O A T

You're spamming and that's out of a *complete* lack of regard because you are a WHORE. YOUR LIFE IS NOTHING BUT WHOREDOM. You know?

The article says it will still be fwd, so who cares. There is no reason to buy it unless it is awd.

>you are a WHORE. YOUR LIFE IS NOTHING BUT WHOREDOM
Who is the one really spamming here?

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WHat about the topic of planned obsolescence, I thought OP was so interested in talkign about it, rather than dropping deets and teasers abotu some shit fucking WHOREYOTA...Right you scum of the earth shill?

WHORE WHORE A WHOREY WHORE WHORE WHORE

SPAMMER SPAMMER A SPAMY
SPAMMER SPAMMER SPAMMER

Basically.

wait, who's spamming again? you faggot little bitch?

BUY TOYOTAS BUY TOYOTAS

About the time Henry Ford found that people had stopped buying new Model Ts because they already had one.

Yes, because phones are getting more durable and batteries are getting better.
American ''''''cars'''''' get more fragile every year.

GM were doing it in the 50s

I don't know mate, I bought a samsung galaxy S1 when I was 17. I only recently replaced it with a galaxy s5. Mostly because I had the first gen S1, which did not have a flash

They certainly can't fucking think straight. Look at audi with that retarded RS4 V8 engine. Thinking chains are lifetime items. Look at a motorcycle's final drive chain. Sure it gets alot more abuse but it should be fairly evident that even overengineered chains will break down.

Also, Porsche's IMS bearing memery. A fucking sealed IMS bearing cannot be a lifetime item due to heat.

I'm not saying it's willfull neglect, but it seems like there is less rigorous QC analysis of components

>tfw nokia 6655

Only luxo brands do "planned obsolesence" but I think it is mostly to keep poor people from driving their cars used. Lux car buyers upgrade every 1 - 3 years regardless of the car's condition.

Mid-90's when BMW first started pushing the notion of recyclable cars over cars built to last ages.

Cars today last longer than ever with with less maintenance.

Cars used to be considered old if they had 100k miles. Any non luxury car built and sold today will hit 200k with basic maintenance which mostly means oil changes.

I'd say the late 80's / early 90's is when planned obsolescence got into full swing.

he meant they're essentially a part of the body work now. as opposed to being a seperate piece from the body entirely.

They can still be replaced easily.